View Full Version : Adult Olympics question

dooobedooo
04-20-2003, 11:12 PM
I read in the NISA UK newsletter that there will be an adult olympics for figure skating in the US next year. Does anybody have any more information? (Age requirements, categories, nationalities, location, dates, previous competition experiences etc)

Thanks.

blue111moon
04-21-2003, 07:13 AM
I haven't heard anything about Adult Olympics other than the Senior Olympics, which is for athletes aged 55 and up. It includes skating, although I understand there are usually few entrants.

There has been a mention of plans to hold Adult World Figure Skating Championships being discussed but I don't think it's gone beyond the "wouldn't it be nice?" stage. There's nothing concrete that I've heard of, yet.

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2003, 01:27 PM
There have certainly been Senior Olympics before now, including figure skating.

As for Adult Worlds, there are Plans Afoot, I believe - although they may be overtaken by events, if it's true that USFSA and NISA are to join the new World Skating Federation.

HOWEVER, the 3rd Adult World Challenge (http://www.gidc.fsbusiness.co.uk/wic2003/) is taking place in the UK on 21-22 June this year, and it probably isn't too late to book (the official closing date was 15 April, but last I heard they were holding it open until 21 April, and they did say they'd take late entries with a penalty fee anyway). Dance, free and Interpretive skating. Do come - the Bracknell Adult Open happens later that week (Batikat, any news on the formal schedule for this?), and we are hoping lots of folk will do both.

batikat
04-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots

HOWEVER, the 3rd Adult World Challenge (http://www.gidc.fsbusiness.co.uk/wic2003/) is taking place in the UK on 21-22 June this year, and it probably isn't too late to book (the official closing date was 15 April, but last I heard they were holding it open until 21 April, and they did say they'd take late entries with a penalty fee anyway). Dance, free and Interpretive skating. Do come - the Bracknell Adult Open happens later that week (Batikat, any news on the formal schedule for this?), and we are hoping lots of folk will do both.

I haven't been into the rink since before leaving for Nottingham on the 10th - kids came 6th of 12 Novice pairs (4 of the pairs above them had competed that level before and 3 of those already have their prelim pairs test) so they and their coach were pretty pleased with their efforts (especially as they beat a pair who had competed before and have their prelim test) - sorry sidetracked! but as far as I know we are still waiting on referees approval before the Bracknell Adult Open schedule is officially published. I can't see any reason the unofficial one will change but can't guarantee it. If anyone woud like a copy of the unofficial schedule that hasn't seen it, please email your request to BracknellISC@aol.com. As soon as we get approval the official schedule will go on the NISA website (if it ever returns after it's updating).

skaternum
04-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Oops! Too much coffee this morning. I read the competition name as:

3rd World Adult Challenge

I thought, who would want to enter that?! :oops: