View Full Version : slackers

96.23??
04-20-2003, 08:15 PM
the thing i hate evn more than the harness lol is skaters who have their parents pay their coaching theyre ice time and dont skate! what is with that it makes me mad:evil:

dbny
04-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Some kids only skate because their parents push them to. Slacking may be a way of fighting back. Another possibility is that some kids enjoy socializing as much or more than skating, and go to the rink primarily to socialize. Some parents may feel that is as important as skating. When you see adults "slacking", especially those of us over 50, you can pretty much assume we're just not physically feeling up to the effort on a particular day, but came to the rink on the theory that even being on the ice is helpful.

96.23??
04-20-2003, 08:26 PM
i understand about them but im talking about people who get off the ice sit around and then get back on when their coach yell for them to get back on

inuk_shuk
04-20-2003, 08:29 PM
and when they finally get on the ice they skate around looking for a convo, distracting other skaters while they're trying to work :evil:

96.23??
04-20-2003, 08:30 PM
i know exactly what u mean inuk_shuk!!!!!!!

tidesong
04-20-2003, 08:39 PM
oh thats sad... but there are pple like that in every kind of discipline, not just figure skating. I've always wished that their parents could sponsor me instead since i work so hard to get my lessons (work hard in terms of persuading parents to pay/do temp jobs)

96.23??
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
lol i know they just kinda waste their money when they dont even seem liek they wanna be there

inuk_shuk
04-20-2003, 08:49 PM
that's the thing that really gets to me. the wasting of the $$. I'm like hey, you're paying for them to stand around for winter spring and summer and i can barely afford winter when i work my bum off. sure, i'm not the hardest worker out there, and the ppl i skate with will agree haha. but i'm def not wasting any money. ak. anyway.........lol

96.23??
04-20-2003, 08:51 PM
yes i know what u mean em,
its just that why would u give ur child so much hard worked for money into someone who wastes it and u deff dont waste ur parents money we dont jsut skate skate skate tho i mean after we get fed up we go to each other and tell each other whats happening but we dont always just sit around watching evryone else
!

jp1andOnly
04-20-2003, 08:56 PM
hehehe. I used to be a slacker on the ice. I wasn't that bad, but I often goofed around and had conversations at the boards. I rarely ever saked to get off early, but then again I didn't do much of what I was supposed to do. Boy those years were fun. I asked my mom why she didn't just yank me off the ice and she said that it wasn't all that much money (i was only skating a couple of days) that it gave me exercise, taught me skills I could use later on, and I did do work and passed tests. I always danced on freeskate so it wasn't like I was doing nothing.

But I agree, the ones who whine and stand in the middle are very annoying.

96.23??
04-20-2003, 09:00 PM
lol yes we used to do alot of the stand at the boards and chat but skating isnt as cheap anymore! bc our club still only gets 2 days a week and i have part time memebverships with other clubs still i only skate 3 times a week! but yes they bug me so much also kids who dont watch out for other people bother me

inuk_shuk
04-20-2003, 09:07 PM
haha ya, we can be boards talkers...but we're not that bad :) ya know those beyond frusterating days when it seems no one can do much of anything and you all go "it's the ice...definatly the ice" lol
and man, those kids that just skate around with their heads in the clouds...you turn forwards and BAM! there they are...do they see you?? of course not!! those ones are the worst. it's just so inconsiderate when you don't watch for ppl..especially when all you;re doing is skating around looking for someone to talk to :evil: lol

96.23??
04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
o my yes one day i was down in my hydroblade and i was all the way down just gliding in a circle and a kid out of now where skates rite into me and luckily i see him in tim e get up but we still hit it could of been a lot worse tho!! mann it was scary but people really should look where they are going

inuk_shuk
04-20-2003, 09:18 PM
ya, i was full speed stroking once and i look behind me and this kid is going the opposite way as me like 5 feet away, might as well have their eyes closed, and im liek OMG!!! i couldn't get to a full stop faster enough and smucked them..oops :) lol

96.23??
04-20-2003, 09:22 PM
lol yes i hafta admit sometimes i am the one to cause little hits but usually its not me some kids seriously i think shut their eyes or may as well

becca
04-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I don't mind when adults on an adult session or a more relaxed less crowded session talk. I also don't mind it when kids talk a little on a relaxed session (especially on weekends). I do feel though that you have to pay attention to the flow of the session and the level of the session. At our club we have some advanced/senior/competitive compined sessions. These include people who are still perfecting their single jumps and people working on triple axels (although they usually try to avoid the combined sessions). If one of the younger kids is paying attention but still gets in the way because they can't move fast enough then I don't mind too much but if they are just goofing off then they are disrupting the flow of a session and creating a danger for no good reason. In these cases I wish that the kids would just get off the ice to have their conversations or skate during a pleasure skating session when they want to talk and skate at the same time. Most of the skaters at our club show up each day with a job to do. For example, on Sat. each competitive skater was supposed to do a clean short and clean sections of the long. Test skaters were supposed to do each section of our program clean twice. It wasn't a combined session and everyone was working hard so it was ok but if it had been a combined session we could have been there for hours just trying to dodge other people. Also, our sessions have a very established flow to them. Everyone skates around the perimiter of the rink when they are between elements or run-throughs. When people stop to talk the other skaters aren't expecting it and if can cause colisions.

96.23??
04-21-2003, 08:29 AM
the time i hate when kids are goofing off is when its close like a competition or test day or ice show...etc. and you are really working hard and they arent! they are jsut skating around playing tag with one of their friends. it annoys me so much! o i also hate it when theres a big line for music to be played and since coaches get priority they get their music played ahedad of evryone and they jsut keep asking for the same piece! this happened at my club b4 an annual ice show, so kids at the end of the line got bumped and didnt have time to play their music. same with at dance time when kids get their music played over and over and over and you ahvent heard yours once! :evil:

Alexeiskate
04-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 96.23??
the thing i hate evn more than the harness lol is skaters who have their parents pay their coaching theyre ice time and dont skate! what is with that it makes me mad:evil:

But I'm not sure why this should affect you? If other kids are wasting their parents money then that an issue that their family needs to deal with.

Lili
04-21-2003, 12:49 PM
There are a couple of skaters (well..one in particular) at our rink that dont do anything but stand in the middle of the ice and pout when they cant do anything. I dont move for them, especially when I am doing my program. Its one thing if you dont want to do anything and you're to the side, its another when you're in the middle of the ice.

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2003, 01:41 PM
My coach says it really irritates him when skaters are brought in just in time to put their boots on before their lesson, and are taken away again immediately afterwards. When can they practice what he has just spent time teaching them? I was taught you should ideally have 2 hours' practice per 15 minute lesson, and although we - husband and self - don't get quite that much, we do manage probably 1 hours' skating per lesson.

Okay, there are days when I come just to be there, and goof off quite a lot, usually on a Friday, but other days I really do try to work on the things I need to work on. But, as an adult who had a 40-a-day cigarette habit for 25 years (kids, don't even THINK about starting), I still have rather poor stamina, and can't keep going for very long without stopping to catch my breath. Usually 2 laps, or a 2-minute programme, is more than enough!

96.23??
04-21-2003, 02:36 PM
yeah how to u expect to improve if the only time ur on the ice is for ur lesson then u get off?

sk8ing is lyfe
04-21-2003, 05:05 PM
I also dispise slackers. I am usually the first one on the ice, and the last one off. I hate anything that wastes my time. as u can see in my name skating is my life, and i live to skate. when i am not on the ice i cant wait to be at the rink, and when i get up in the morning, the first thing i ask myself is whether or not i skate that day. when i am at home, doing my homework, i stretch, watching tv, i do office jumps or exercises.

But I'm not sure why this should affect you? If other kids are wasting their parents money then that an issue that their family needs to deal with.

I somewhat agree with you Alexeiskate, however, when you are on a session and no one else is working, it brings down the overall atmosphere during your training. i think it is best to train with people who train 2x's as hard as you do, so that you feel like you need to work harder. If u are the only one working hard, you lose motivation after a while. it can be very difficult in this type of atmosphere to improve, no matter how hard you work.

one time, just to prove a point, i did about 7 programs in one session and then did section work, and didnt move on until i was skating each section clean. i NEVER stopped, and during flood and dance(which i dont do because im done) i went for a run outside.
THIS IS CALLED OVERTRAINING!!!!! by the end of each day, my legs were numb and i felt like i was going to pass out...
!!!!!not good!

96.23??
04-21-2003, 05:12 PM
holy skating really IS ur life! i love skating a lot alot too! my club gets two practices a week and i swim competitivley so i picked up another day with another club but thats all i had time for. and when it came time for ice show we usually get extra ice and while i was in school i just couldnt wait to get out jsut to get to the rink. i like being the first on eon the ice too i dont go for runs during flood tho. but usually while the other girls are still in the dressingroom im out ready to go same when im late i just hate being late for skating i rush soo much just to be first one on! :) lol

yeah it kinda sucks when some days evryone is having a bad day so u all dont practice as hard but when some people are having down days and some are doing well and some are just standin around or sitting around its kinda hard to practice bc u wanna go see what they are talking about and evrything but u wanna practice at the same time since ice time is really precious for our club1

jazzpants
04-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
My coach says it really irritates him when skaters are brought in just in time to put their boots on before their lesson, and are taken away again immediately afterwards. When can they practice what he has just spent time teaching them? I was taught you should ideally have 2 hours' practice per 15 minute lesson, and although we - husband and self - don't get quite that much, we do manage probably 1 hours' skating per lesson.

I know of such a coach which wants the skater to have "adaquate amount" of time to warm up before a lesson. It goes on to state that it's to prevent injuries, etc. I'll have to agree with that since I certain don't get going on my skating 'til I'm warmed up for at least a half hour (preferably 45 minutes!!! Gawd! I'm getting old.) :roll:

As for leaving right after a lesson. I would, but my lessons has often been right before the end of the session and the Zamboni is chasing me out!!! :lol:

Okay, there are days when I come just to be there, and goof off quite a lot, usually on a Friday, but other days I really do try to work on the things I need to work on. But, as an adult who had a 40-a-day cigarette habit for 25 years (kids, don't even THINK about starting), I still have rather poor stamina, and can't keep going for very long without stopping to catch my breath. Usually 2 laps, or a 2-minute programme, is more than enough! Oh, man!!! Annabel, don't get me started on the smoker's thing!!! Believe me, I have some interesting stories about why kids should NOT start a bad habit like that. For every excuse kids come up with as to why they want to start smoking (including the "The cool kids do it!!!"), I could come up with at least 5 reasons why they should NOT start!!!

However I'll start with this one: I'd LOVE to see "the cool kids" go on the ice and running through a 2 to 3 minute program all the way through w/o running out of breath or losing their stamina!!! :P (They'll start losing it at the 1:30 minute mark!) :roll: :P :lol:

96.23??
04-22-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah i dont warm up b4 skating i know its abd lol all i do is i do a few laps around the rink fws then backwrds then some lunges and sprials sometimes thats my warm up! lol and occasionaly i will stretch my leg on the boards but not usually lol

inuk_shuk
04-22-2003, 07:03 PM
ya, i do the same as you beck...we're the lung-ers haha. most of the people i have ever skated with barely stretch or warm up at all..i barely see ppl start any sort of warm up before they hit the ice

96.23??
04-22-2003, 07:19 PM
yeah i know its a rare thing at our club but ive seen a lotta other people warm up b4 their practice but usually its only for about max 20 mins.

sk8ing is lyfe
04-22-2003, 09:27 PM
i am ususally pretty good with warmups.
b/c i HATE being injured!

love2sk8
04-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sk8ing is lyfe
i am ususally pretty good with warmups.
b/c i HATE being injured!

EXACTLY

lord farquad ;)
04-23-2003, 05:08 PM
lol, sad to say but i do exactly what inuk shuk and 96.23??? do :) The only times i get a really good warm-up is b4 a competition or test day.

sk8ing is lyfe
04-23-2003, 09:20 PM
you have to practice each and every practice like its a competition and test day tho!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

love2sk8
04-23-2003, 09:28 PM
The risk of injury is so high tho....Nothing's worse than being off the ice cuz you weren't careful enough to warm-up properly...especially in skating, where we put our muscles thru so much--in cold temperature, which makes it easier to seize up!!:!:

96.23??
04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
lol yeah im kinda lazy :S lol but i'm going to make that one of my goals for this summer or else i'm pretty sure i'll be off ice for a while with injuries because i didn't warm up properly!!

love2sk8
04-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Good job;) It'll help you in the long run...and your skating...ya never know, you might also get more flexible!!

I love skating!
04-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Haha I hope so my flexibilty is the worse i have ever seen!!! :P

I love skating!
04-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Oopsies! Sorry I knew that was suppose to be for 94.26 but i was implying that it will help me too because i don't usually warm-up too much either!