View Full Version : posh rink/club

singerskates
04-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Have you ever skated in a posh rink/club? Have you noticed that the rink is really warm and that you could skate in shorts and a T and feel great? Also have you noticed that the ice is well groomed, fast and awesome? I skated at Kristy and Kris Wirtz's rink just last Friday night in Toronto at the Toronto Cricket and Skating Club. Woah, I was blown away by the ice. Too perfect!

ss

dbny
04-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Actually, the best ice and best temp I have ever encountered are at a publicly owned but privately run rink. Unfortunately, that is the only good thing about how this rink is run.

becca
04-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Yup! I get to skate at the Cricket Club all the time now!!!! I used to skate at a really bad public rink so I can appreciate how wonderful it really is.

roogu
04-18-2003, 09:36 PM
LoL, I'd love to skate at the Cricket some time but there's no way I can pay the ice fee there, heheh.

becca
04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I only got away with being able to afford it because I qualify for an intermediate membership (18-26yrs) so I didn't have to pay the innitiating fee. The ice fees themselves are way cheaper than most public rinks.

jazzpants
04-19-2003, 12:20 AM
singerskates... define "Posh???" :P

My home rink (Yerba Buena Ice Skating Center) is definitely well groomed and has "smooth like butter" ice!!! I'm so totally SPOILED when I skate at my home rink!!! I definitely can skate with just a t-shirt on once I'm warmed up. No meat lockers here!!! :P The best part is that you can look out the window during the day and watch all the nice tall office buildings downtown, the trees and the sky!!! Quite nice!!! :P

When I have to go to other rinks on weekends (b/c my home rink is CROWDED with kids on public sessions!!!), I go to this other rink w/Olympic sized ice. The size is HUGE, but the ice isn't as good or smooth as my home rink!!! But, on weekends when practically all the rinks in the area crawling with kids... it can come in quite handy... :P

I tried out a lot of rinks in the Bay Area and I think the only one that even comes close in terms of rink quality (ice, crowd control, environment of the rink, clean bathrooms...) is the Snoopy rink -- that's at least 1.5 hr drive away!!! EEEEK!!! 8O

Lili
04-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Haha, even though I skate at the coldest rink here, I am hot ALL the time. Other skaters are wearing 3 layers of clothing and im skating in tank tops. I like the ice though, nice and smooth. :D

roogu
04-19-2003, 12:29 AM
How much are you paying for ice fees becca?

Black Sheep
04-19-2003, 09:44 AM
This was the best ice I've ever skated on. Not only was it well-groomed and comfortably warm, it also had no hockey boards or lines painted on the ice surface! 8-)

Elsy2
04-19-2003, 09:48 AM
I don't like a rink that's warm, I start sweating like a pig. At my "time of life" cool is 8-)

Elsy (who is having way too many hot flashes lately.....)

*dani-skates*
04-19-2003, 11:00 AM
my rink has nice ice but otherwise it's a mess, we lost funding a few years ago and since then its gone down hill but the ice is always good and i like my coach so i'm not moving.

Sk8Bunny
04-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, i dont get to skate here that often, but it sure beats my home ice. The facilities and ice at the Broadmoor club are awesome. I luv every chance I get to skate there.

Mel On Ice
04-19-2003, 02:34 PM
I can definitely vouch for the poshness of jazzpants rink - I won several silver medals there! The open windows can be distracting, but the ambience is awesome, and there's no hockey aroma.

Ann Arbor's Ice Cube is cool, but it's so big. I was under the impression Detroit SC would be posh, but its not. St. Louis SC is the same way.

becca
04-19-2003, 09:02 PM
At the Cricket I pay:

annuel dues $195 per year
ice fees approx. $450 per year

I also pay a maintence fee of $12 per month and a food minimum of $20 per month.

Lesson are another story though....

PattyP
04-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Ice Castle @ Lake Arrowhead, CA

I've got to agree with BlackSheep, this place is awsome! Not only do they not have the boards, they have a huge mirror the width of the rink on one end. Although I almost crashed into someone as I was checking my spiral position in the mirrow :oops: . I don't go there very often as it is a 1.5 hour drive to get up there. I think the elevation is around 6000ft, so it's a good place to build stamina.

Yerba Buena is beautiful too!

PattyP

Michigansk8er
04-21-2003, 11:52 AM
I've skated at the Toronto Curling and Cricket club several times before (ice dance weekends) and it's awesome. Great ice and food to die for (leave it up to me to remember the food). The ice at the Onyx is also terrific. :D

garyc254
04-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
I don't like a rink that's warm, I start sweating like a pig. At my "time of life" cool is 8-)

Elsy (who is having way too many hot flashes lately.....)

:lol: At my main rink, they keep it at a constant 35 deg F. The women I skate with are constantly saying: "Where are my hot-flashes when I need them."