View Full Version : Spin enteries.... what do you do?

singerskates
04-18-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm wondering what everyone does for their forward spin enteries.

Me, I use to enter F spins by doing BLX and then stepping forward onto my LFO edge but it just doing suit me much.

I recently just a week before competing at the Skate Canada COS Adult Spring Skate switched to entering from a RFI3 and then went onto a bent LFO edge which works much better for me.

Which way works best for you?

If you have another way to enter your Forward spins, tell us.

Below is a survey but it probably won't have all the methods just the two I mentioned.

jazzpants
04-19-2003, 12:22 AM
I do right (CW) back crosscuts, step forward onto RFO (CW)... but I've been taught the other method too... for variety, of course!!! ;)

Elsy2
04-19-2003, 10:07 AM
I do both....whatever is working on that day. I really like the look of RFI3 to LFO...seems to flow nicely. I tend to get stuck on the back crossover entry before I step forward. I really have to concentrate on bending the knee as much as possible to not come to a grinding halt before I step forward :roll: Even so, I will use this entry more than any other.

icenut84
04-19-2003, 10:39 AM
I usually do the crossovers entry, but I've also experimented with the FI3-step to FO entry, and also just going straight onto the FO edge, and also from standstill (and from a 2-foot spin). I also practice the backspin though, and have done it from both a change-foot spin and from a FI3.

MissIndigo
04-19-2003, 01:33 PM
I get more power and a better snap into the spin when I enter with the back crosscut/choctaw entry. This works best for forward scratch spins and sit spins and layback spins.

I've had better luck with the camel from the RFI 3-turn to LFO edge entry, but it's more like 50/50 this method vs. the other now. Knee bend tends to be better with the crosscut/choctaw and I get a faster spin. I can do a decent 3-4 rev camel from a standstill too.

Whenever I try the flying camel a RFI 3-turn entry is a must. I haven't tried this spin in a while but looking forward to returning to it soon.

Ellyn
04-19-2003, 10:08 PM
I prefer the inside three method for upright, layback, and camel spins (including combinations). For sitspins I prefer the back crossover method.

dooobedooo
04-19-2003, 11:13 PM
I've tried the RFI method but get dizzy with the constant rotations; prefer to have to reverse rotation and better snap of back Xover/choctaw method.

becca
04-19-2003, 11:35 PM
The only ones that I care about is Xover for camel (although i can do it off a 3turn if absolutely required) including combo spins and the 3 turn for flyining camel. I also have to do my flying sit from Xovers. Layback, sit and upright I can do which ever way works better coreographically. When I practice them out of the program I enter which ever way I do in the program.

dani
04-20-2003, 08:03 AM
I use both methods, but primarily the "normal" one. The 3-turn method helps me get my body around better, so it is good to practice every now and then.

In my program at nationals, I actually entered it like part of my jump combination! I did a salchow-loop-step into a forward scratch. While it didn't work the best at nationals, I did enjoy it ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

Raine
04-20-2003, 08:13 AM
I do both BXOs (back crossovers/choctaw) and FI3s for all of my forward spins. In my Bronze program, I used FI3s because there wasn't enough time to set up spins with a BXO. Once I was taught a Lussi entry, which involved an RFI mohawk and cross step (for a CW spin). It's not something I often see other skaters use in a program, although I'm certain that it has its advantages, and it looks cool. For the camel, I find that the FI3 gives me the rhythm and momentum to eke out a few revolutions. My camel spin still needs a lot of work, obviously! ;)

Cheers,
Raine

PattyP
04-20-2003, 12:45 PM
I do both, it depends on the choreography of my program or what is working better that day. I'm a little more consistant with the back Xover method over the RFI3 entry. Sometimes I just step into a spin out of a jump landing, but I can only do this for a fwd scratch or sit. I can't seem to get into a camel or flying camel this way.

icesk8er31
04-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I use both, but on different spins. For some reason, my forward scratch spin works MUCH better if I use the inside three turn entry. My sit spin and camel, however, only work with back crossover entry.

tidesong
04-20-2003, 08:32 PM
i do it both ways too... my scratch spin has days when the three turn entry work better and similarly so does the layback. but these two spins have crossover entry days too ... :P the rest of my spins including the flying spins seem to prefer the crossover entry, but I try to vary the entry for programs.

StarshineXavier
04-20-2003, 10:03 PM
I do the 3 turn method. I find it much easier that the back crosscut method. I can centre my spins a lot better with the 3 turn as well.

AshBugg44
04-21-2003, 01:04 PM
This gives me more speed for my spins, since my left crossovers are better but I'm right handed:

Left back crossovers, step wide, 1 right back crossover, into spin.

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2003, 01:46 PM
My spins are pretty much non-existent, but they are better off a 3-turn entry than a back crossover entry. I also have one programme where I do a 3-jump, hold the back edge after it, and step straight into a spin. But it doesn't always work, so that one is officially a 2-foot spin....

susan6
04-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I learned the back crossovers to RBI edge, step onto a LFO edge into the spin method first. Then one day I started experimenting with doing spins from an ina bauer, and I felt a sort of slingshot effect. This is pretty much the RFI 3-turn method, since I do an ina bauer in a CCW direction, put my weight on the right foot (RFI edge), then 3-turn into the spin. I found this makes my camel in particular much faster.

BUT.....I've gotten so used to this method that it is difficult to do spins from the "normal" way (crossovers) now! I have to relearn this....

sk8ing is lyfe
04-21-2003, 05:16 PM
both, it depends which spin i am doing

96.23??
04-21-2003, 05:20 PM
i always do it with the back crossovers

love2sk8
04-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Totally depends on the spin....but whichever way will get me in the fastest lol...usually inside 3, cept for flying sit...which is back crosscuts.

I love skating!
04-23-2003, 06:20 PM
For me it depends what spin too, but i will normally do backwards crosscuts.