View Full Version : Blade Length Question

skatin' mom
04-15-2003, 12:24 PM
I just got new boots and blades and have a question--the front blade plate is mounted at the tip of the toe, but the back ends about a quarter of an inch from the end of the heel, which makes the blade look kind of short. I wear a size 6 boot and the blade is 9-3/4. Does this sound like they ordered the wrong size blade? If so, and if they refuse to take it back (I have used the skates a few times already), will it hurt my skating?

backspin
04-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Take it from an ice dancer--less heel length in the blade is a GOOD thing!! :lol:

Seriously though, I believe blades come in increments of 1/4 inches, so if you have a 1/4 inch clearance now, the next length up may be too long. Typically I would think they would mount them so you have 1/8" clearance on either end, but I doubt it matters.

You may have to readjust to the new balance points on your blades ever so slightly (which you usually have to do w/ new blades anyway), & then you'll never even notice the difference. I've been in my new boots/blades about 6 weeks now, & my new blades are a full 1" shorter than my old ones! (smaller length & switched to dance blades). After a couple days adjustment, I got all my spins & jumps back (just singles), & it's not a problem.

dooobedooo
04-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Most important thing with mounting skate blades is that they do not move the "ball of the foot" of the blade. ie. the front of the blade must be lined up with the tip of the toe. Aside from this there is actually quite a lot of tolerance - possibly as much as half an inch. Sounds as though whoever mounted your blade knew what they were doing.

Skate blades do increment in 1/4 inch or 1/3 inch, so if you had next length up they may be too long.

If you have any problems with blades you can normally return them if they have less than a couple of hours wear on them. I know various people who have had problems with blades (one blade wonky, or whatever) and the shop has been happy to replace them. If in doubt, why not have a chat with your pro shop?

CoolbugSuz
04-15-2003, 09:08 PM
OK, since the topic is blade length, I have a question. What size should your blade be in relation to your boot length? I have heard that your blade size should be 1/4" longer than the lenth of your boot from end to end. Is this right? I'm talking for general figure skating, not ice dancing or anything to that effect.

Thanks in advance! :)

Suz

dbny
04-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Actually, I thought it was supposed to be 1/4" shorter than your boot length. I know lots of freestylers push the limit on blade size to get a bit more speed out of them.

max
04-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Wilsons/MK recommend that you buy 1/4" shorter than the sole of your boot ie. if your sole measures 10", you buy a 9 3/4" blade. I think this is also to allow leeway for their being differences in the lengths of the left and right boot. They don't always measure the same.

When buying blades separately from the boot, make sure you measure both soles.

vesperholly
04-16-2003, 10:00 AM
It all depends on the boot. I switched from Harlick's to Klingbeil's last year and went up a 1/4" from 9-1/4" to 9-1/2", and my feet haven't grown in years. I know a skater who has two different lengths because she's got such different left and right feet.

Jocelyn

karowicz45
04-16-2003, 01:36 PM
I have riedells 220s size 7 wide boot, my blade is a wilson excel size 10-1/4my fitter linus , he put the blade on ask me some ?*about what edge I use , the mounted them . great job, I like them i feel secure skating. i had riedells 117 I was all over the place, to short of blade for me

CoolbugSuz
04-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your answers! That's good info to know. LOL So my blades on my current skates are actually 1/4" longer than my soles. LOL Yikes...I guess I'll have to adjust when I get new blades! Maybe it will actually help! :lol:

Suz