View Full Version : An Ad features adult skater Jay Kobayashi

Luenatic
06-18-2002, 05:57 PM
It's an ad for Skate Out 2002.

Here is the link:
http://www.32degreesmagazine.com/skateout.html

The ad has a picture of Jay's wonderful spiral!

Artistic Skaters
06-18-2002, 08:46 PM
I've never been overly fond of the ISI skating, but I think that event looks like a blast. And Jay makes a great poster skater. :D

jazzpants
06-19-2002, 01:57 AM
Oh, my!!! :lol: It's just as funny as I envisioned it!!! (He told us about the poster at a recent Adults National viewing party just before this was coming out.)

Cheers,
jazzpants

Yazmeen
06-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Artistic Skaters: Mind if I ask why you are not overly fond of ISI skating? I'm just curious.

melanieuk
06-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Good photo. :D

I'm not having a "go" here, but out of curiosity, why isn't there a "Straight Games" or "Bi Games"? :?:

RoaringSkates
06-19-2002, 09:49 AM
This is a fabulous ad.

Melanie, I don't know too much about this event, but I think that this event, and the Gay Games, are designed to allow openly gay people to be openly gay and participate in their sport. They're designed to allow gay people to feel safe and accepted in a sporting event, but anyone from any background and at any level can participate.

I believe that these events are in response to the idea that gay and sports don't mix.

flippet
06-19-2002, 10:16 AM
That and, well, I think it's assumed that bi is more or less happily included in the Gay Games, and I also think it's assumed that most other events are 'straight' by default....no need to specially designate them.

Luenatic
06-19-2002, 01:23 PM
After he won AN, I sent him an email congratulating his success. He replied back and attached a signed photo of his in MK costume doing the wonderful spiral! I wish I could go to SF and watched the competition, but I can't. Oh well.

dani
06-19-2002, 01:33 PM
[quote:1c77dc6120="flippet"]That and, well, I think it's assumed that bi is more or less happily included in the Gay Games, and I also think it's assumed that most other events are 'straight' by default....no need to specially designate them.[/quote:1c77dc6120]

I would be most dissapointed if a straight person were not included in these types of events. Wouldn't that be the same type of discrimination otherwise frowned upon? Of course, I think a lot of straight people might be thrown off by participating in an event where the assumption is that they are gay!

I wish I could go skate and meet these people (like Jay)! (And I will leave the question of my sexuality where it belongs, between me and the people I share it with!)

Hugs ;-)

Danielle

dani
06-19-2002, 01:37 PM
[quote:ed4dd9e7b0="dani"]I would be most dissapointed if a straight person were not included in these types of events. [/quote:ed4dd9e7b0]

After I posted this, I was wondering if maybe they should have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy ;-)

Ok, I am really ducking now ;-)

flippet
06-19-2002, 02:46 PM
[quote:d8b0b01431="dani"][quote:d8b0b01431="flippet"]That and, well, I think it's assumed that bi is more or less happily included in the Gay Games, and I also think it's assumed that most other events are 'straight' by default....no need to specially designate them.[/quote:d8b0b01431]

I would be most dissapointed if a straight person were not included in these types of events. Wouldn't that be the same type of discrimination otherwise frowned upon? Of course, I think a lot of straight people might be thrown off by participating in an event where the assumption is that they are gay!

I wish I could go skate and meet these people (like Jay)! (And I will leave the question of my sexuality where it belongs, between me and the people I share it with!)

Hugs ;-)

Danielle[/quote:d8b0b01431]

Hmm....I thought there was something in the ad that mentioned that all competitors were welcomed, no matter their orientation......maybe it was in something else I read about the event.

Heck, I'm straight and happily married, but I'd compete in this event if I could make it out to SF! It just sounds like TOO much fun! :D

(Last night I popped a tape in, and it was cued to the medal ceremony at Worlds, I think, with MK in that dress....I'll never be able to see that dress again without thinking of Jay, and ROTFL!! :lol: )

jazzpants
06-20-2002, 02:11 AM
[quote:7e4a0d6b64="flippet"][quote:7e4a0d6b64="dani"][quote:7e4a0d6b64="flippet"]That and, well, I think it's assumed that bi is more or less happily included in the Gay Games, and I also think it's assumed that most other events are 'straight' by default....no need to specially designate them.[/quote:7e4a0d6b64]

Hugs ;-)

Danielle[/quote:7e4a0d6b64]

Hmm....I thought there was something in the ad that mentioned that all competitors were welcomed, no matter their orientation......maybe it was in something else I read about the event.

Heck, I'm straight and happily married, but I'd compete in this event if I could make it out to SF! It just sounds like TOO much fun! :D

(Last night I popped a tape in, and it was cued to the medal ceremony at Worlds, I think, with MK in that dress....I'll never be able to see that dress again without thinking of Jay, and ROTFL!! :lol: )[/quote:7e4a0d6b64]

Yeap! Under registration:

http://www.32degreesmagazine.com/skateoutregister.html

The first paragraph says:
[quote:7e4a0d6b64]Open to open-minded skaters, ages 18 and over, embracing Gay Games' motto of inclusion, participation and personal best.[/quote:7e4a0d6b64]

I would do this one myself (and I'm definitely straight), but I really, REALLY don't have a program together right now...and my skating, though better, is still a mess. :( Jay and I were just talking about how I'm going to try and squeeze time in to do my program... and well...ummm... I may HAVE to skate mornings to do this. (And I'm definitely NOT a morning person!!!) [img:7e4a0d6b64]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/edoom/sleeping.gif[/img:7e4a0d6b64]

BTW: A funny note, he told me that someone told him that there's a HUGE Skate Out poster with his MK spiral pose at Market & Castro. (Market & Castro is a major corner in SF...it's also the "gateway" to the Castro district, aka the "Gay District.") He had no idea that was there 'til that person told him.

Guess no one's gonna let him forget his MK performance, huh? :lol: (Oui vei! It's gonna be hard to explain to say, my boss, that my primary coach is the guy in the figure skating dress, never mind what the hoopla was about.) :roll:

Cheers,
jazzpants

dani
06-20-2002, 06:26 AM
I am very glad that the competitions have the right rules. I was not trying to suggest that they didn't. I wish I could skate both the SF competition and the Australia competition! (I love SF and I am dying to go to Australia! ;-)

Hugs!

ps) Someday maybe people won't care about meaningless things like sexuality or religion or race or any of that! I can hope, at least!

pps) Does Jay mind all of this publicity?

melanieuk
06-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Thank you all for explaining that to me. :lol:

I agree with you are all saying, that every competitor should have equal opportunity to skate, in whatever competition regardless of their sexual orientation.
[b:0d14970a65]But...[/b:0d14970a65]
Why does sexuality have to come in to it in the first place though?
Is it because heterosexuals have oppressed gay competitors?

I assumed, thinking about it now, that all gay skaters competed with straight, bi, virgins and abstainers anyway?
And everyone [i:0d14970a65]does[/i:0d14970a65] compete together - don't they?? :?:

I, being open minded, don't give a hoot what the sexual orientation is of the people around me.
Although I have to say, generally, I prefer gay men to straight. :wink:
I just think that skaters (all sports people) should be able to compete in any competition without bias.
Isn't skating biased enough without that added burden?

I would condone the "Don't ask, don't tell" attitude.
[color=red:0d14970a65]PS .....[b:0d14970a65]AND[/b:0d14970a65]
I would compete (if I [i:0d14970a65]did[/i:0d14970a65] compete!), in the Skate Out comp, and not give a hoot if other people were obsessing about my sexual preference. So what if they think I'm gay. It wouldn't be a problem to me what complete strangers think about me. :evil: [/color:0d14970a65]

flo
06-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Something to think about is that although anyone of any orientation can probably compete in any competition, each event has its own particular atmosphere, which is a primary draw for competitors and spectators. If you like it - compete or go, if not then there are other options.

Elsy2
06-20-2002, 09:14 AM
I think what makes this competition different is that they offer events for female couples, male couples, and mixed couples in pairs and dance. Hence the emphasis on being open minded, etc.....

I think the skating community in general is very accepting of ones orientation. This competition and the gay games must be one of the few opportunities for same sex couples to compete together.

melanieuk
06-20-2002, 09:15 AM
[quote:a399ce5d95="flo"]Something to think about is that although anyone of any orientation can probably compete in any competition, each event has its own particular atmosphere, which is a primary draw for competitors and spectators. If you like it - compete or go, if not then there are other options.[/quote:a399ce5d95]

Aah, I'd not thought about that. A very interesting point.
:)
Nor did I think about what Elsy2 said about same sex couples in the Pairs & Dance.
That would be the answer to the UK's shortage of male partners.
TashaKat, do you fancy it? I might drag you backwards for a while though. :roll:
Hypothetically, I don't see the ISU going for it though, since the slightest thing seems to offend them (undignified moves). :roll:

flo
06-20-2002, 10:50 AM
Isn't the USFSA doing something for little kids similar pairs? I thought I heard something, but maybe not. Our club is interesting in that we do have quite a few adult men, but like most clubs very few little boys.

kar5162
06-20-2002, 11:48 AM
[quote:22813cb26e="flo"]Isn't the USFSA doing something for little kids similar pairs? I thought I heard something, but maybe not. Our club is interesting in that we do have quite a few adult men, but like most clubs very few little boys.[/quote:22813cb26e]

My club also has quite a few adult men, but few little boys. I haven't heard of the USFSA offering similar pairs, but ISI does have couples events where you can do same gender pairs though I'm not sure they allow lifts or throws, I know their lower level pairs doesn't allow overhead lifts for at least the first several levels. I don't know whether their pairs are restricted to opposite genders. Some ISI competitions also offer group spotlight events.

The USFSA did just pass a rule allowing same gender dance test partnering, but I believe it has to be with your coach.

At any rate, this morning we had 2 men skating together, working on what looked like a free dance or low level pairs program. I wonder if they're planning to go to this? They looked like they were having fun and I guess there's no so many opportunities to do this sort of event.

Artistic Skaters
06-20-2002, 09:03 PM
[quote:84ea7e0cb3="Yazmeen"]Artistic Skaters: Mind if I ask why you are not overly fond of ISI skating? I'm just curious.[/quote:84ea7e0cb3]

Because quality is not the priority for ISI but it has always been one of my main objectives when it comes to skating. I understand their purpose & I don't disagree with it - it's just a difference in philosophy about the bottom line.

manleywoman
06-20-2002, 09:11 PM
When i was a kid back in the early 1980's, I won my club's pairs trophy doing similar pairs three years in a row through USFSA! I had a different partner every year, and I was the "man." We only had two boys that skated at my rink, and one did pairs seriously with his sister, and the other did dance, so boys were not available.

Don't know if they still do it, but it was done back then!

blue111moon
06-21-2002, 06:30 AM
My USFSA Club Open has offered similar pairs for all the 20 years I've been involved and many of the local opens in my area do as well. Generally the entries are two girls, and the emphasis is on unison and timing rather than pair tricks likes lifts but the event is there. I don't know of any club that would turn down an entry from two males.

Just because an event isn't held at US Nationals, it doesn't mean that the event isn't recognized by USFSA.

jazzpants
06-30-2002, 01:22 PM
I was at the Skate Out 2002 yesterday afternoon!!! It was a real nice show...got to see a lot of my skating friends. The more advanced skaters (Billy, Patrick, Lisa (?)) were just gorgeous to watch as they did their double axels, double jumps (did I see a triple in there somewhere??? -- the two guys are competitive Novice level skaters - I'll have to look at my movie clips), danced and flirted with the judges!!! (Espeically Patrick, who took to standing on top of the judge's booth to shake his booty!!! All female judges, if you're wondering!!!)

But of course, guess who won the Entertainment award? Yeap! I *met* "Michelle Kwan" too!!! :P Got a picture with her...eh, him and everything!!! (A lot of people wanted to take a picture with Michelle!!!) It was better to watch the program live for sure! In fact, just about everyone I've talked to came JUST to watch "Michelle." It's probably not as good as at AN, but it certainly gave a taste of the crowd's reaction to that program. He was the finale and, as usual, got the most stuffed animals!

Cheers,
jazzpants

Elsy2
07-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the report! I'm so glad you got to see "Michelle" in person. I was lucky to be at AN, and it's a performance I won't soon forget!

jazzpants
07-02-2002, 12:39 AM
Additional note: Jay was teaching tonight in his "white boots!" When he barks orders, I usually say "Yes, sir!" Tonight I said "Yes, Michelle!" :P

Cheers,
jazzpants