View Full Version : Breaking in new skates

karowicz45
04-13-2003, 09:40 PM
:?: Besides skating on them, what esle can you do to break them in? and are they suppose to hurt, I have been fitted the right way, I guess going from glaciers to riedells 220s' is a big jump, any replys welcome:!:

wannask8
04-13-2003, 10:57 PM
I also have Riedell 220s; they’re pretty much what I started in. I was a bit worried about fit myself wearing them at home at first, but they felt fine on the ice. One thing I had to remind myself about at first was to make sure I knocked my heels back into the boots enough before lacing to get my foot placed correctly and my heel in the grip. I also found relacing once or twice a session helpful during break-in. You can also use Bunga pads (or similar products) in pressure-prone areas. Finally (and you probably already know this), they suggest that you spend the first four to six hours with only the first two hooks tied, the next four to six with three hooks, and then graduate to four.

I think Riedell has a fairly narrow last, and it’s definitely not for every foot, but hopefully your comfort level will improve as time goes on. If it doesn’t, do speak with your coach and/or pro shop about it.

-- wannask8

roogu
04-14-2003, 12:57 AM
The best way to break them in on ice, I've found, is to do TONS of stroking with a deep focus on knee bend ........ in the end, it's a win win situation because your skates a breaking in, and your general skating, edging and stroking improves greatly. Unfortunately, it's also a no pain no gain situation. It's going to hurt for a while, but once they're broken in, you'll be just fine! :)

Mrs Redboots
04-14-2003, 03:55 AM
You'll find they hurt less and less the more you skate in them. Be very careful how you lace them up, leave them as loose as you dare over the foot, just tightening the laces enough that they lie flat with no slack. Then tighten the last hole at the ankle, and keep them as loose as you dare going up the ankle. You might want/need to leave the top hook unlaced at first. My coach always says "Lots of baby powder inside your boots", too.

You are wearing the thinnest possible socks, aren't you? Pop sox are ideal, or tights, of course. Thick sports socks, which ought to be comfortable, never are, and the thinner the sock, the better.

You might want to take your skates home, put guards on, and wear them while watching television, too. And, of course, the old coach's trick is to wring out a pair of socks in hot water and wear them in your boots until they are dry.

Elsy2
04-14-2003, 07:54 AM
One of our kids always puts a hockey puck at the top edge of his new skates and laces them up overnight. He says that helps soften that stiff hard edge.

If you have any places that cause you alot of pressure and pain, have your pro shop punch out that area a bit. I have some protruding bones in my feet that require this.

RoaringSkates
04-14-2003, 09:28 AM
When I was breaking in my Reidell's, I found that it was easiest if I wore them for a while on ice, then stepped off ice and unlaced them for a few minutes, then laced them back up and went back on ice. Also, after I was done skating, I loosened the laces and stuck a tennis ball down in the toe area to help my skates retain the stretch I'd given them during my work out.

If any particular areas of the skate are bothering you, let your skate fitter/pro know exactly where the skate rubs or hurts. You can have that part of the skate stretched out or fixed. For example, after I got my Reidell's, I went back to the pro shop at least four times to have areas stretched out. I also had the arch on my left foot lowered. This really helped.

wannask8
04-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that tennis ball/hockey puck trick -- it's a good one. The leather really does have a "memory."

-- wannask8

Magz
04-14-2003, 07:49 PM
i use a similar one to the hockey puck one...beer bottles lol i was laughing soo hard when my coach told me this but u put the bottles where your ankle would be, (standing up) and lace them up as tight as possible...it helped round off the front becuase i could barely lace them up they were soo stiff lol

Elsy2
04-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I suppose you drink the beer first and put in the empty bottles? :P

what?meworry?
04-15-2003, 01:21 AM
turkey roasting bags.

yup, put turkey roasting bags on your feet and then your feet into the skates. do this until they fit comfortably.

also, it helps to get the skates "punched out" at the pressure points of your feet.

do not, under any circumstances, lace your skates skipping eylets or loops---you will only accellerate breakdown in the wrong way. although dancers may leave undone only the very top of the boot hooks, if using your skates for both freestyle and dance.

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
I suppose you drink the beer first and put in the empty bottles? :P Well, you aren't going to waste the beer, are you?

GoldenLady
04-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Well, you aren't going to waste the beer, are you?

And maybe after having a couple of beers, the skates won't seem to hurt as much! ;)

karowicz45
04-16-2003, 01:50 PM
they think I am nuts:lol: any way, why you ask ?? I had just gotten out of the shower, had my bath robe on . hair in a towel, but I put on my tights and skates just sitting on the side of the bed, it was 75 degrees out that day, so my hubby comes up looks in the room , and starts laughing, if I send him to the store for turkey bags, He will ask weres the turkey? hahaha , I will say Its me:lol: :lol:

Jeujeucda
04-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi,

I just broke in a pair of new skates. It took a total of three days off ice and two days on ice to completely break them in. Here's how:

I got the boots (no blades) and wore around the house two hours or so everyday for three days. First time I wore them with the top two hooks unlaced. Then just the top hooks. Then laced all the way up. I also took a hairdryer to the top of the tongues to soften them up. Then I held some deep knee bends (landing position deep) while they were still warm.

Then I got the blades mounted. The first day on ice I skated with the top two hooks unlaced. Did everything except jumps (okay, did waltz jumps). Then the second day I left just the top hooks unlaced, but laced a little looser than usual. I landed all single jumps just fine.

By the third day everything was normal, no pain anywhere.

They're Graf Edmonton, by the way.

Jeujeucda

Figureskates
04-16-2003, 05:38 PM
I wore mine at work for a few days. i sit behind a big computer table so I had plenty of room. Did get a few stares going to the printer since I was about 3 inches taller...

I like the beer idea. Use the toepick to open the beer, drink beer, lace beer bottle into skates. repeat as often as necessary until you forget what you were doing in the first place.

vesperholly
04-16-2003, 09:08 PM
NEVER, EVER wear wet socks in your boots. Gross, nasty black mold will start to set in.

Jocelyn

Mrs Redboots
04-17-2003, 11:11 AM
They do say it's not a good idea to wear your boots without the blades' being mounted, either, since it can cause the soles to bend. But, hey, it worked for jeujeudca!

One cyber-acquaintance of mine is a minister, and wore her new boots and blades to church meetings.....

sk8er1964
04-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Figureskates
I like the beer idea. Use the toepick to open the beer, drink beer, lace beer bottle into skates. repeat as often as necessary until you forget what you were doing in the first place.

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sonora
04-17-2003, 03:48 PM
This really works:

Take orange peel. Put in baggie. put in boot overnight.

I know it sounds like you're making potpourri, but it really does loosen the boot up a little.

Also, if you are really having trouble, you may not have gotten a good fit. We all use custom Harlicks now, and no longer have much trouble breaking skates in.

karowicz45
04-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I was fitted the right way, believe me the guys at the proshop new me well>its that I went from a pair glaciers to riedells, alot more support now with the reidell, *I am adult beginner again* I skated when I was about 10 years old, no lessons, so my fitter had told me you must skate on them to break in, I have just been sitting here with them on , and they feel good, some deep knee bends too. I'm not use too something so close to my feet,* you know gym shoes, boots in the winter,* I always by comfy stuff,* so I move to ice skating* , its like I never have had a apair of 300*00 or more dollars around my feet;) thanks for everyone advise!!skating on them for the first time on friday nite ,:D

Jeujeucda
04-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Oh! On reading Mrs. Redboot's post, I realized I forgot to add that while wearing my boots at home, I had wrapped a small towel, doubled up, around each boot and also used elastics to hold a plastic bag (i.e. the transparent kind you use to put veggies in at grocery stores) around each. That way the soles were protected when I walked.

I also took care to walk with flat steps, i.e. tried not to walk the normal way where you land first heel, then roll to ball of foot, then toes, then up for next step. Cuz like she said, I didn't want to risk bending the soles..... though I think I'd have to walk awfully rough to be able to bend them :roll:

Jeujeucda

96.23??
04-20-2003, 09:15 PM
ive heard of this but i dunno how well it works:
put hot damp cloth in ur boot and then after ur boot has heated up a little put ur foot in it should kinda conform to the shape of ur foot and break it in kinda like heat molding but at home