View Full Version : "on/off" practices

Sk8Bunny
04-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Lately, i will be having like 2 or 3 great days of practice, but then the next day will be totally disastorous. These 'off days' are totally spontanteous and spread out. But when i have them, its like my body doesnt seem to want to skate or work hard. sometimes its my mind that doesnt want to cooperate, like i feel sluggish or stressed. But i always do the same warm-up routine before practices and stuff so i dont know why some days are on and some are off. Does anyone have advice or ideas how to increase my 'on' days so that my 'off' days are few and far between? And, just to make sure im not the only one, lol, does anyone else ever have 'off days' too? thnx

P.S. after proof-reading my paragraph, i realized i should probably describe an 'off day' for those who dont know! alrighty, for me, an off day is anywheres from feeling too sluggish to skate, not landing many jumps, unable to practice an element as well as have been able to in past days/weeks, etc.

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2003, 06:49 AM
This is new for you???? Goodness, I would have thought it was the common experience. Off days being caused by anything and everything from the wrong time of the month, to one's immune system fighting off a bug, not quite as sound a sleep as normal the previous night, even the fact that your parents/teachers/boyfriend/whoever is bugging you....

My first instructor once told me that she had always had "wobbly days" and when she had one, she rather dreaded teaching because she knew she couldn't support a pupil who was falling all over the place, or even a dancer who was a bit "off". And the least little thing would make her fall, whereas on an ordinary day she never would!

blue111moon
04-11-2003, 07:31 AM
I have "spin days" and "jump days" and very rarely an "Everything works okay day" and some days when nothing works, no matter how hard I try. It's normal.

I also never know what kind of day it's going to be until I get going and find out what's working. I have no clue why some things work on certain days and some things don't. It's just the way it is. If jumps aren't working, I do spins; if spins aren't working (and that sometimes has something to do with bloating and sloshing), then I do jumps or footwork. On really bad days, I've spent the whole freestyle session doing three turns against the boards.

"Bad biorhythms" is my general explanation for the off days.

wannask8
04-11-2003, 08:26 AM
I have a feeling that this “on/off” thing is pretty common. It drives me crazy that I can have a practice where I feel strong/secure followed by one where my legs feel like Jell-o from the start, even when I’m skating at the same time, with the same warm-up, etc. I figure it’s a normal thing and just look forward to the next session being better . . ..

-- wannask8

~*SkYlA*~
04-12-2003, 08:48 PM
I find that if i have an "off" day then if i have a compation the next day my skate will be much much better! i donno why! it just happens like that! lol but yeah! everyone has there "on and off" days for sure!!!

Magz
04-12-2003, 09:02 PM
yah i cant tell an on day from an off day but usually if i've had i bad day at school i'll have a good skating day...for some reason...lol but usually i'll warm up with some jumps and if those are off i stretch camel positions because i know it's going to be a spin day lol

Chico
04-12-2003, 11:39 PM
This is normal for me too. I have on days, I feel like I can do anything, and off days, when I know dang well that I better use my common sense. And then there are days when nothing is really wrong but I feel like I'm just a little off. Tired, sluggish, and a little shakey. I had a little off day Friday, nothing wrong really just sorta tired and such. I found that this morning I felt like I was getting sick. I probably was getting the beginning of it Friday. I agree that hormones for females can have positive and negative side effects. The time of the month does influence my skating.

Chico