View Full Version : Adult Nationals Thread...

mskater
04-09-2003, 01:48 PM
...maybe I'm just blind; is there a thread going for AN news?

Mel On Ice
04-09-2003, 04:28 PM
there is now :)

my friend Denise (from MI) came in 6th in Bronze Ladies 1B. She fell twice and screwed up a sit spin. She sounds a little dejected, but still happy to have competed and finish in the middle of the pack. She is helping my friend Joyce (from here in MO) by putting her on the ice since no coach went up with her. Joyce was involved in a collision as she and another skater were gliding backwards in opposite directions. Joyce is ok, but the other woman had some teeth knocked out!

Elsy2
04-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Wow...teeth knocked out 8O That's awful....One member from my club is going on to Silver II finals. Can't wait to get there tomorrow. I'll be there in time to watch some Interpretive late tomorrow.

jazzpants
04-09-2003, 06:36 PM
WOO HOO!!! I see PattyP placed 3rd in Silver II Group A QR (http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/silverladiesII-groupA.htm)!!! She's going to the final round!!! :D :D :D

Go PattyP!!!
http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

(So far so good... whoever blessed the ice for me did well!) ;)

MidwestSkater
04-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know how many will move on to final rounds in Silver I?

sk8er1964
04-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Just got home awhile ago from working registration. Met Raine and Black Sheep, so far.

The Ladies IV Interpretive was great (I spent all day at the Cube and this is the only event that I got to see. ;) ) All of the ladies were great, especially the lady from Lake Placid who skated to Young at Heart.

Everyone I've met so far has been terrific!

Elsy2
04-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MidwestSkater
Does anyone know how many will move on to final rounds in Silver I?

Since Silver I has two groups, they should take 6 from each for 12 in the final. Silver II took 6 from each of the two groups, and Bronze I had 3 groups, so they took the top 4 from each group.

tazsk8s
04-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
Since Silver I has two groups, they should take 6 from each for 12 in the final. Silver II took 6 from each of the two groups, and Bronze I had 3 groups, so they took the top 4 from each group.

Actually, the top 5 from each group in Bronze I and II moved on to finals.

I skated yesterday in Bronze 2C, was hoping to place mid-pack, and ended up 7th/13. Major kudos to AAFSC for an AWSOME:!: :!: :!: job running the event. The staff was very friendly and everything ran on time. Wish I could have stayed for another day or so to watch everyone, but am heading off on vacation next week and couldn't have spared anymore time from work than I've already taken. I'm really glad to have done it while it was relatively easy to get to for me. Not sure if a week in Lake Placid will be in the cards for me next year.

Elsy2
04-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the correction, and I'm glad to hear they are taking top 5 from those groups, as a local skater made it then :D I'm on my way in about an hour.

icesk8er31
04-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Please tell me that your friend Joyce was not Silver III - I have a friend in that group who has mysteriously withdrawn and I'm hoping she wasn't the other lady involved in the collision.

Thanks!!!

Mel On Ice
04-10-2003, 06:16 PM
yes, Joyce was in Silver 3, group B. Her poor placement tells me she was badly shooken up by the collision too. :(

Go Duane, go!

PattyP
04-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Not sure where to start....this has been a very unique AN for me.

Yes, the ice was properly bless for my QR, I landed a clean axel and had a pretty good skate. Spins could have been better, but I place 3rd and qualified.

My interp event is where it gets interesting...I was skating really well and probably got too much into my program and caugh my blade on a back crossover. My leg folded under me and I felt a sharp pain. Then I went to get up to find my foot completely numb, I can't get up because my dead foot wont support any weight. They stop the music and have to help me off the ice. Then as they unlace my boot to see what is wrong, I get feeling back in my foot. They ask if I want to finish and I say "can I??" I tell them I'm getting my skate back on and going back out. It's getting sore at this point, but I'm going to finish the program. The problem is that they thought the fall was part of the act and screwed up where the music should have been restarted, so I missed the last 10 seconds of my program.

The funny thing is that as I was sitting at the Urgent care center waiting on a Dr. and a friend of mine called to tell my coach and I that I had won the event. My coach and I were in shock and then we started crying. We couldn't believe it. So as soon as I knew it wasn't broken, we started insiting that they get us out of there so that I could make the medal ceremony. I made it!:D

My ankle is quite sore and swollen, so final round probably will not happen for me tomorrow. Oh well, at least I can say that I qualified.

This is definately an AN I wont soon forget. Besides all the drama...I'm having a great time and as always AAFSC is doing a terrific job!!

PattyP

PattyP
04-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Other good news....Flo won her interpretive event!!!!

jazzpants
04-11-2003, 12:51 AM
PattyP... things are ALWAYS interesting when it comes to you and competing!!! LOL!!! :lol:

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you!!! Looks like whomever blessed the ice did something screwy... you're not supposed to be INJURED!!! :evil: :lol: (Guess if I want the ice blessing to be done right that I better do it myself...) :P :roll:

WOO HOO!!! GOOOO Flo!!!! :D :D :D

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Well done for winning, PattyP - and Flo, too. Hope I do as well at the Mountain Cup (Am I competing against you there?). I do hope your ankle is a lot better - and that you haven't done any serious damage. What a frightening thing to happen, though - and muchos, muchos kudos for going out there and finishing the event!

MissIndigo
04-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Congratulations to all of you who have medaled! Also, congrats to those of you who have just made yourselves darn proud, regardless of the outcome! Sounds like you're having a very good time.

A couple of skaters from my area have either medaled or made it to a final round--can't wait to see how they all end up.

Hope those of you there enjoy the rest of your time and are watching some great skating.

http://66.227.101.70/contrib/legionxs/wavey.gif Here's a hello wave from those of us at home.

susan6
04-11-2003, 01:42 PM
I went to Adult Nationals to compete on Wed. and Thurs. in Bronze 1 and interpretive ladies 1. My freestyle was a bit iffy....I was very nervous and my jumps were hoppy and I two footed a couple of them. I also messed up one of my camel spins. In the skate order, I skated right after the girl who won this qualifying round, so compared to her kick butt skate I looked pretty bad. I ended up placing 7th, right behind Mel's friend Denise.

My interpretive went a bit better, even though my jumps were again a bit hoppy. My 3 yards of chiffon veil behaved itself except for one instance where it got caught briefly....ON MY BUN. This is the first time I've worn my hair in a bun. I've got a lot of hair, so it's a pretty big bun. I'm used to swinging this veil around wearing a pony tail, and it just slides off my hair when I flick it over my head. The bun sort of caught it briefly, but I managed to quickly get it back into position without flailing around. Again, I two-footed some jumps and AGAIN the stupid camel went AWOL, but the rest was ok and I came in 5th.

I saw a lot of hysterical interpretive programs. One lady in interp 1 skated as a little kid (complete with a tutu and bloomers showing beneath) to "twinkle twinkle little star" and she did every single move that little kids do.....the little hoppy things, the not-very-low shoot the duck, the spiral where they grab their free skate with their hand. (Every little girl I've seen in lessons does this. Either this microseconds long grab the foot spiral, or the "dying swan" bent spiral with their butt in the air.) It was cute.

In interp 3, during one of the warm ups, there was a lady in drag, in a tux, with a beard and balding head. We're all trying to figure out who she's supposed to be. Pavarotti? Then I figured out, "Oh my god, maybe she's DICK BUTTON!" And indeed, her music began with a voice-over saying, "please welcome the next competitor, Mr. Dick Button." She proceeded to do iffy spirals and a poor layback and there were voice-overs in her music saying how her free leg position was poor, etc. It was hysterical.

I regret missing one of the interpretive events....I don't know which one it was.....but I saw their medal ceremony. By some strange coincidence, every one of the four medalists had a costume involving a large stiff tutu, and they decided to pose for one of their award photos with all of them leaning over so all you could see was their rears haloed by these big tutus. It was hysterical. (One of the ladies had even put rhinestones on the rear of her costume.)

Anyway, it was a lot of fun even though my jumps didn't "sing" and I didn't stand up straight enough. I also managed to misplace a pair of jeans in the locker room. (Hey ladies, if you're in the Michigan locker room (room G iirc) and you see a pair of Gap boot cut blue jeans, let me know.) But I saw a lot of really great programs and many skating feats that I would like to try. So it was pretty inspiring!

luv2jump
04-11-2003, 02:35 PM
My friends, Nancy & Richard, are currently second in Championship Dance after the second dance! I'm so excited!!! This is their last year skating together because Richard is moving.

dbny
04-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Congrats to all! PattyP, I hope you have a speedy recovery. I've been reading this thread out loud to hubby, who says "Sounds like they have a lot of fun at Adult Nationals." Hmmm, maybe we can go next year just for the fun. Thanks for all the great reports.

vesperholly
04-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Good luck to Elizabeth O'Donnell and Eileen O'Donnell from Amherst SC! I believe this is Eileen's first year in Gold. Kick butt!

Jocelyn

jazzpants
04-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Hey, Patty!!! I thought you were NOT gonna compete in the final round of Silver II (http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/silverladies-classII.htm)!!! 8O :P

Not bad coming in 5th out of 12th for someone who's injured!!! :P I would have loved to see how well you would have done if you were NOT injured!!! :P :lol: Congrats to you!!! You did a nice job this year, it looks like... :D

jazzpants
04-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Have to properly embarrass my coach and say congrats to him for his Bronze medal in his Masters Men Interp II (http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/mastintermen-class2.htm) event... :D :P YAAAAAY!!!!

skaternum
04-12-2003, 05:59 AM
I didn't see a Masters Pairs event this year. Anybody know what gives??

And congrats to Dani for a nice middle-of-the-pack finish in her Bronze I qualifying group. That's pretty good for somebody who just recently started skating on frozen water!!

PattyP
04-12-2003, 09:01 AM
With a whole lot of tape and Ibuprofin I was able to compete. I had to take out my axel, forward sit and toe-loop and some of the footwork but since I had no concern about placement, I relaxed and skated a clean program. I was absolutly shocked at my placement, I expected to come in last. I can barely put my shoe on this morning from the swelling, but it was worth it to be able to skate in the finals.

This has been a great AN for me even with my stupid injury.

Thanks to everyone here who came to support me for the event, it really motivated me to skate well.

PattyP

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2003, 12:39 PM
I've seen your injury mentioned elsewhere, Patty - I'm afraid you're going to be the "star" of this year's AN, like Jazzpants' coach's Michelle Kwan routine was last year - the thing everybody talks about!

roogu
04-12-2003, 03:47 PM
If anyone attended, woudl it be possible to post a review of the events? especially the championship events?!

Clarice
04-12-2003, 03:57 PM
There was no Masters Pairs event this year, but my friends John Hintze and Anne Krambeck won Adult Pairs! Way to go! We stayed so they could skate in the exhibition, left Michigan at 5 this morning, and got home in time for John and me to teach learn-to-skate this afternoon.
This was my first Adult Nationals, and I competed in Silver Ladies 11 B and Adult Interp. B. I didn't place very well in either one, but expected that since I only moved up to Silver last summer. For once, though, I managed to compete without shaking knees, so I was pretty pleased.
I was on the practice with the bad collision - my very first practice at Nationals, and only on the ice about 5 minutes when it happened. It was very scary. The skaters involved were both skating backwards and collided back-to-back right in front of me. The one who was hurt was skating very aggressively, and so rebounded a lot harder from the impact. There was a tremendous thud, and her gloves were knocked off - I've never seen anything like it. There was quite a bit of blood, and I helped pick up tooth fragments. We heard later that she had some stitches and a concussion besides the broken teeth. I certainly hope that she recovers quickly.
Aside from that, it was a wonderful week, and I hope I can go to Lake Placid next year!

jazzpants
04-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by roogu
If anyone attended, woudl it be possible to post a review of the events? especially the championship events?!

I wanna hear if either Larry or Davin (or anyone for that matter) attempted a triple this year again at Championship Masters Men!!! :D :D :D

PattyP
04-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Larry landed not one, but 2 triple salchow, one in combination with a 2toe. Davin landed 1 triple sal and fell on his double axel. I didn't stay for the result, but I'm sure that Larry won. He was wonderful.

jazzpants
04-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by PattyP
Larry landed not one, but 2 triple salchow, one in combination with a 2toe. Davin landed 1 triple sal and fell on his double axel. I didn't stay for the result, but I'm sure that Larry won. He was wonderful.

8O 8O 8O :roll: (The eye roll is for "*sigh* I wish I was there to see THAT!!!")

Edited to add:

Yeap! He SUUUUURE did!!!

http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/saturday/champmasters-men.htm

Larry: :bow: (Same for you, Davin!!! :bow: ) :lol:

dani
04-13-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by susan6
I saw a lot of hysterical interpretive programs. One lady in interp 1 skated as a little kid (complete with a tutu and bloomers showing beneath) to "twinkle twinkle little star" and she did every single move that little kids do.....the little hoppy things, the not-very-low shoot the duck, the spiral where they grab their free skate with their hand. (Every little girl I've seen in lessons does this. Either this microseconds long grab the foot spiral, or the "dying swan" bent spiral with their butt in the air.) It was cute.

That was our very own Flutzilla!! She did such a great job at it too! (both events!)

I also want to second everyone's comments about it being a wonderful event - Thanks Michigan! I had a lot of fun and am proud of how I skated!

Hugs!
Danielle

roogu
04-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Larry used to be a senior national competitor right?

jazzpants
04-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Larry used to be a senior national competitor right? Yeap!!! :D :P

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/pfeat68.html

He was also touring on the Ebony On Ice Tour this year...

http://www.ebonyonice.com/Larry_Holliday/larry_holliday.html

jazzpants
04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by dani
That was our very own Flutzilla!! She did such a great job at it too! (both events!)

I also want to second everyone's comments about it being a wonderful event - Thanks Michigan! I had a lot of fun and am proud of how I skated!

Hugs!
Danielle And she had a pretty good standings (http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/interpladies-class1-groupB.htm) to show for it too!!! GOOOO, Flutzilla!!! :D :D :D

dani
04-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
And she had a pretty good standings (http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultnats/interpladies-class1-groupB.htm) to show for it too!!! GOOOO, Flutzilla!!! :D :D :D

Did you notice that one judge gave her a 4.6 for presentation!!!!

And her coach was really cool, she was pointing out where she should start like "go out there now" kinda thing! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle (proud of her skate too!)

Black Sheep
04-13-2003, 03:11 PM
I guess that's how I'd describe my experience @ AN '03.

On Wed. and Thu., I had this painful knot in the small of my back which cost me my Gold Ladies I event. It started before I left my house on Wed., and got worse with the 4 1/2-hour drive up (even though I was smart enough to take three breaks along the way). During the warm-up Thu. morning, it was so bad I could hardly stand on those two thin blades of steel; and my friend's coach could tell I was in agony. I thought I'd have to scratch, until a lady I happened to run into in Locker Room D gave me some Bayer Aspirin. After that, I got "out there" all right, but the elements just weren't "there" like I wanted them to be. I was so focused on my back pain that I messed up my flying camel in the beginning, which pretty much set the tone for the rest of my program. Very disappointing. However, I got 7th out of 9, which is actually still better than last year!

On Fri. night, I got to skate in the Exhibition program. In case you haven't figured it out, I was a the Jellicle Cat who skated to The Jellicle Ball. People really enjoyed my costume and my program! Also, by this time, after a free massage, some hot patches, and some more Bayer Aspirin, I was feeling 150% better (too bad I didn't think of all that before Gold I).

On Sat. afternoon, I had my Masters Ladies Interp. I program, which I felt was a complete success, having skated a fast, clean program and once again bedazzling people with my great costume. In fact, total strangers came up to me to have their photos taken with me! I thought I'd at least made the medal stand, but had to settle for 6th out of 15. Still amazingly high and lots better than last year, though!

Also, I was disappointed for having to miss my coach's Master's Champ. program. I knew he'd win it with his amazing triples!

jazzpants
04-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Bad back pain and you still placed 7th out of 9th!!! 8O Sheesh, that's determination!!! :P Congrats to you!!! :bow:

And while I'm :bow:... Please pass on this from me to your coach... :bow: :lol:

lilpairsk8ter
04-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Im back from AN and i had an awesome time watching everyone compete this past week. Everyone who skated this week should be soo proud of themselves for skating sooo well.

Some highlights from this week were the masters men. Davin skated very well but fell on his 2axel. He had great presintation and was a joy to watch skate. Davins interp number was awsome he dressed as Dorthy from the wizard of oz. It was really funny and he skated very well. Larry landed two triples and one in combination.

The silver mens two interp was very funny to watch. My poor coach had to go on after the guy dressed as Dame Edna skated. There were alot of very funny programs in that group. My coach skated very well and placed 4th. Yea Duane.

The adult pairs were pretty good to watch. The team that won skated really well. The reason there were no master pairs at the event this year was beacuse they bumped up the test requirments and you have to be at least silver level to skate adult pairs and gold to do master pairs and also the team that won the master even last year retired.

I just have to say that Jays hair was sooo awesome looking for his interp program. i couldn't take my eyes off of him.

The silver mens two event had a large field and im sooo proud of my coach beacuse he finshed 2nd in his group and skated great and hit a georgeous camel spin :D . The guy who won landed an axel and skated a very clean program. also some of the items were very funny that were thrown out on the ice during this event and made it even more interesting.

The exhibition fri night was cool to watch. I loved Davins balloon number from last year and im glad he did it again. The lasy who skated to the streak song was very very funny and soo was the ballet dancer.
I also enjoyed jays exhibition number along with the skaters from the Ann Arbor club.

I also have to say congrats to the guy who won the silver mens 1 group beacuse this is the first time he ever landed an axel in competition.

Well thats all i can think of for now. Im still really tired so when i think of more i will let you know.

Also feel free to ask me about specific events. Ill try to tell you what i can about them.

Again thank you AAFSC and all of the skaters for such a great week. I had the best time watching you all.

yuffie
04-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Davin's interp was so great! It was a medely of quotes and songs from the Wizard of Oz in order from the beginning of the movie until the end. He skated with a basket with a little dog and other things like a spray bottle with the word H2O on it lol.

We ordered in on tape lol. :oops:

Michigansk8er
04-13-2003, 06:47 PM
I just got back. Had a GREAT time even though I had to scratch (Silver III). Sk8er1964 had a FABULOUS skate, and just for the record, judge #7 is the only one that had it right!!!! :D

I attended the Charlie Butler seminar today. It was great. If you ever have a chance, take it. (Advanced stroking, footwork and hydroblade principles).

AAFSC did a great job. I sure hope they will consider again.
Has anyone heard any rumors on where AN will be in 2005?

yuffie
04-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Haha yeah we said there should have been more judge sevens.

Mel1977
04-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Just thought I'd add my two cents. I had a great time at my first AN's this year! I was bronze 1A, I placed 7th out of 13. I would have loved to have made the finals, but not bad for my first try! Interp didn't go so well, I got last. I had a good program, but it seemed the more entertaining programs medaled, I had a dramatic. It was only my second time skating it in the past month, as our ice went out March 16, and the ice time I did have was spent on my freeskate.
Overall though I had a wonderful time, I was surprised at the quality of skating at all levels and age groups, and it motivated me that I can do axels and doubles someday too!
I hope Ann Arbor hosts again in a few years, I loved the facility, and it was within driving distance for me. Hopefully I won't be there next year
(my husband and I are planning to try to start a family after this summer, sorry...I hope that wasn't too much information,) but I can't wait until 2005!

icesk8er31
04-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Mel on Ice - Just wanted to let you know that my friend was NOT the one involved in the collison - turns out she scratched before even leaving TN. Makes me feel much better for her, and also that she wasn't the one that caused your friend to be so shaken up.

Anyway, congrats to all that skated at AN - I have never had the guts in almost 6 years of skating to skate in competition, so you get major kudos from me.

All the best!

Impromptu
04-13-2003, 09:22 PM
I see that one of the guys who I occasionally share ice with, Christopher Williams, won three medals (silver in championship gold men, silver in masters interp, and gold in gold men II). Did anyone see his programs?

Black Sheep
04-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Impromptu
I see that one of the guys who I occasionally share ice with, Christopher Williams, won three medals (silver in championship gold men, silver in masters interp, and gold in gold men II). Did anyone see his programs?

I didn't get to see Chris skate this time, but I have seen him skate before. He's rawther amazing--he's been known to do a hydroblade into a double Sal.! 8-)

Elsy2
04-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Impromptu

Yes! I saw his skating...and he was GREAT! Loved his Chim Chiminy interpretive. I'm sure I gave him a few standing ovations.

Had a wonderful time this AN. I'm amazed every time I go at the level of Championship Masters skating....truly inspiring and many skaters could hold their own with some of the senior tests I've seen. A few comments:

Skater1964 has the most beautiful axel 8-) along with lovely difficult footwork and great skating overall! It was unfortunate that she skated early in the group, as I feel she was "forgotten" by some judges, except for the infamous judge #7!) By next year, she is going to have some very solid doubles. Very happy to meet you Skater1964!

Also pleased to meet Raine, who has to be terribly proud of her medal (3rd) in her group. Congratulations! (See, we told you to go ahead and go to AN!)

Most courageous moment.....A Masters Champ lady falling and dislocating her shoulder. She then got up in serious pain and finished her program with a beautiful flying camel....amazing!

sk8er1964
04-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys! I do believe that Judge #7 is a man of infinite wisdom and knowledge :D . No matter my placement, I was thrilled with my skate, especially after having to deal with this injury for so long. The support from the crowd was wonderful, too - it really helped my in my program (between those of you who were there, my family, and my skating buddies from Plymouth and Ann Arbor, it got quite loud).

This entire week was terrific! I can't remember having this much fun in a long time - even when I was working it was great to talk to and meet other competitors. It's time to start saving for Lake Placid!

I really didn't get to see all that much skating, except for Saturday after my event, but what I did see was great, at all levels. The masters men were truly amazing, as were the masters ladies. What guts the lady who dislocated her shoulder had - to finish (when she was obviously in a lot of pain) with a flying camel that would make most of us envious without her being hurt....wow.

Congrats to Raine on her medal! It was great meeting you. Black Sheep, I'm glad you had fun and good skates. And Elsy2 and Michigansk8er - thanks for the support and the fun :D .

Raine
04-14-2003, 09:20 AM
A big THANK YOU to the AAFSC for running such a wonderful Nationals! I was really impressed. The events ran on time and practice ice seemed to be plentiful. The Ice Cube is a great venue with ample seating, and with competitions taking place in two rinks, there was always something interesting to watch.

It was great to meet Skater1964, Elsy2, and Michigansk8er. As previously mentioned, Skater1964 indeed gave a wonderful performance. She was smooth and powerful with nice clean edges and great footwork. Her Axel was very secure, and all of her elements were presented with assurance and amplitude. You'd never know that she'd been struggling with an injury. She was very pleased with her performance and rightfully so.

Incredibly, I finished 3rd in Ladies Bronze III. Since I had finished either mid-pack or lower in my previous three comps, this was a surprise. 8O I had a few rough patches in my program and wished I'd skated a lot faster and more smoothly, but I have to say that the support from the crowd led me to finish the program more strongly than usual.

I gotta say I can't thank you guys enough for encouraging me to go to ANs, not so much because I medalled (which was unexpected!), but because I would've missed out on so much else. Thank you for encouraging me to persevere and honor my commitment to this event.

I'll have to go back to my notes and post again, but I just wanted to throw in a few comments and keep the thread going.

Cheers,
Raine

manleywoman
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
I thought ANs this year was fantastic too. The Ann Arbor Club runs it so well, and everything is so organized. Plus all the hotels, venues and restaurants are so convenient to each other. And before I left yesterday morning I stopped at Zingermans Deli to load up on the best homemade bread in teh country, so I have a freezer full of it now! I hope some of you guys made it there...they've been written up for years as one of the best delis in America. (But if you missed it, don't worry, they have a mail-order catalog.)

I can't complain about my placements...I moved up a level this year and knew that skill-wise it was going to be a whole new ball game, and it was!

My first event was Junior 1. I didn't land the jumps that I should have, but my spins and edges were the best I had done all year, so I was pleased. I came in last, but lucky for me, there were only four of us, so I still medaled! And honestly, the level of the girls was so good that even if I had skated clean I STILL would have been last! I did have the best warm-up of my life however, landing every jump plus my double-double combo. So I was pleased at least the judges and audience knew that I COULD do it (just not when the music started...grrrrr.)

My second event was Masters Champ. Ladies, and my first year in it. I only made one jump mistake, and my spins and speed were very strong, especially considering that I'd had the flu two weeks before and hadn't trained the program properly at all. So I was just happy that I made it through the whole thing! Again I had a good warm up, landing the double double combo, but I made it a double-single in the program. I placed 9th out of 12, which was fine because my goal was not to be 11th or 12th! What made me happier was when so many random people came up to me after the event to tell me how much they enjoyed my program and the choreography, and how it really livened up the crowd (all the other girls skated to classical pieces while I skated to an Eric Clapton/Jazz medly). I even had a lot of people tell me that they thought I should have placed higher, like 7th. Cool!

And the icing on the cake...after two years of embarrassing crotch shots from the official photographers, I finally got several decent pictures!

Now I know what I need to do this year to be ready for next year. Can't wait to get started, actually. Usually after ANs I'm really tired and want to take time off, but I'm really motivated already for next year!

And yes, the Masters Ladies girl who fell and got up to finish anyway is awesome, She's a good buddy of mine, and she's doing just fine. We were all impressed that she had the cojones to go out and finish!

wannask8
04-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Many congrats to all of you! Broken teeth, numb feet and backaches – you guys are real troopers! And thanks for the excellent reporting and sharing with those of us in the electronic stands.

-- wannask8

icechick
04-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Did anyone watch the Adult Pairs? If so, I'd love to hear what you can recall of the elements executed. Any throw doubles? How about sbs doubles? Any combination overheads? Were the death spirals all forward insides or was there a variety? Any info that you can recall would be greatly apprectiated!!

vesperholly
04-14-2003, 02:31 PM
What company did the photography?

Jocelyn

sk8er1964
04-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
What company did the photography?

Jocelyn

Ledin Photography. http://www.ledinvideo.com

climbsk8
04-14-2003, 03:14 PM
I just logged on to this site....we just got back from AN and I wanted to hear what other people thought.

It's great to have not one, but two posters checking on the NC skaters! I'm a fan of Nancy and Richard, too, and they did really well in Championship Dance. I'm also proud of my friend Cheryl for her bronze medal in Masters Junior....

Unfortunately, the NC group (all three or four of us) weren't treated to whoops, hollers and stuffed animals littering the ice after we skated, like many of the other competitors. Don't get me wrong...the atmosphere there is SO supportive...but I think we need to have a much larger southern contingent at Lake Placid!

My coach offered to bring a cowbell for me next year and ring it if I land my axel again:D

Raine
04-14-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by pairsk8r
Did anyone watch the Adult Pairs? If so, I'd love to hear what you can recall of the elements executed. Any throw doubles? How about sbs doubles? Any combination overheads? Were the death spirals all forward insides or was there a variety? Any info that you can recall would be greatly apprectiated!!

I watched it, but unfortunately didn't take any notes. Perhaps someone else can help out. IIRC one of the teams did a star lift, and one did a BO death spiral (I don't think she got all the way down, but it was a good attempt).

For me, pairs was one of the highlights of ANs because it was such a rare treat. All of the teams were fun to watch.

Cheers,
Raine

stillskating
04-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Someone mentioned that the master's pairs champs (Trevor and Laurie) from last year retired. Anyone know more about that? I saw her in the fall and they were planning on going, and I also heard they were thinking about doing standard pairs. I assumed that they just didn't have competition this year. My partner (the infamous Chris Williams!) and I hope to do master's pairs next year.

skaternum
04-15-2003, 05:07 AM
I didn't know Chris is skating pairs. You lucky dog, you! I hope you'll get to compete in Lake Placid next year!

lilpairsk8ter
04-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by pairsk8r

pairsk8r no team tried any throw double jumps or spilt double twists. every team tried eather a throw loop or a throw waltz jump. Only one team that i can think of had a combination spin in their program. Only 2 teams had overhead lifts. Paul Mata and his partner did a press lift and a platter star lift but fell short of the required rotations on the lifts and had a deduction for it. She two footed alot of the elements. Every team i belive tried the back outside death spiral. One thing that was lacking in all of the programs was footwork. The teams need more speed and unision in their programs but overall the event was very exciting to watch.

flo
04-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi there,
I'm in my new job, and able to post again!
Clarice, what was your program in interpretive? We were in the same group - I hope I saw it, as I was the last to skate.
As far as the pairs, there were no Master's entries. The rules really didn't change from the previous year. You had to have a preliminary or juvenile pair test, or silver level for adults, and one partner a gold or intermediate pair test for masters - the othere partner has to meet the adult requirements -unless I missed something. The number of master's pairs has been decreasing. When I competed in adult pairs there were 14 pairs, and when I was in masters, there were ablout 10. Last year there were only 3 in masters.
I had a great time, and Ann Arbor did a wonderful job as host. It was a shorter than normal trip for me (I usually go for a week), so I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked - Althought I say Patty in practice, and she was relly strong! I had a great skate, and it really felt good to be out there. I was thrilled to see my name on top. Thanks to all!

Black Sheep
04-15-2003, 10:26 AM
flo, I know you won Interp. last year and this year. What were your themes each time? 8-)

flo
04-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi,
My programs have been: "Loon", from On Golden Pond, "Time", using music from Cinderella, and this year "Fledgling" a baby bird learning to fly/skate, with the music from Elgar's enigma variations.
It was a lot of fun to get out there and skate. The crowd was supportive, and I had a great group to skate with.

PattyP
04-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Althought I say Patty in practice, and she was relly strong!

Thanks flo! I had a few people comment last week on my improvement since last year. It really makes me feel good that people actally noticed.

Unfortunately you also saw me at my worst last week, when I had my little "meltdown" in the dressing room. :oops: The realization that I had screwed up my interp event combined with the fact that I may not be able to skate in final round hit me and I kinda fell apart. Things turned out a whole lot better than I thought they would at that moment. Unfortunately I missed your program as I was sitting at the Urgent Care center waiting to see a Dr. :roll:

Congrats again on your Gold!

PattyP

Clarice
04-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Flo - I LOVED your interpretive number! You really deserved that win! I did the klezmer piece, in a blue dress with a head scarf. When I saw the video, I was pleased with the improvements I've made in smoothness and flow, but see that I have a long way to go yet with speed and power. I was very impressed overall with the level of skating I saw in Ann Arbor, and am all psyched up to set goals for myself for next year. (To that end, started learning brackets just this morning! On to Gold Moves!)

Elsy2
04-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Clarice,

I believe I saw your interpretive...very nice! Was the scarf white? If so....daughter thought it was toilet paper at first....:oops:

yuffie
04-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Clarice,

I believe I saw your interpretive...very nice! Was the scarf white? If so....daughter thought it was toilet paper at first....:oops:

I know I did, but I could honestly see that it was a scarf after a few seconds.

Did they change to Lendin Video because I think they use to use someone different. Am I just imagining things?

SkateGuard
04-15-2003, 07:37 PM
I had no idea there were so many of us Internet FS junkies at AN's....:D

This was my first AN, so it was rather overwhelming, but I was there, I competed, I saw _a lot_ of great skating, and had a blast! I watched Championship Dance and Master's Ladies. The OD for the dancers was the same rules as for Junior and Senior, and I think some of the choreography would have been competitive at the "kiddie" nationals. The masters ladies were wonderful; lots of clean programs. It reminded me of novice ladies at 2002 Mids, with such a loud, receptive crowd.

The one major thing I noticed is that the overall quality of the skating has improved. Starting last Sept. 1, moves tests are now required for the corresponding freestyle test.

I got to see Chris Williams freestyle...he fell on a double salchow (I think...we were about to leave), but everything else was clean and well-skated.

I can't wait for Lake Placid!

Erin

Elsy2
04-15-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm not so sure we are seeing any impact of adult moves on the quality of skating as yet. The majority of skaters I know who moved up a level did so prior to Sept. 1, so they would not have to test moves.

This is the third AN I have watched, the first being in 1999, and I believe the quality of skating has progressed each time I have gone. There were a few groups this year that I felt were not as strong as last year as well.

I think the moves may very well benefit some skaters who were not initially taught the basics. For example, someone I know is learning moves, but has no idea what edge she is on...she has a lovely camel, sit/change/sit, and lutz. Go figure.....

I'm not meaning to change the focus of this thread.....just making an observation over several years of watching AN. The skating seems to have progressed steadily overall. I also hear that the level of skating at Lake Placid is even higher....hmmmmm.....

Clarice
04-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Clarice,

No, I don't think that was me - my scarf was a costume piece, not a prop. There was a woman in our group in light blue who skated with a long, flowing scarf as a prop. I wore an orange head scarf - a kerchief.

flo
04-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks Clarice! It was a fun program to skate. I'm sorry I missed your skate - I had seen your program title and wanted to see your program!

I do think some of the levels have improved, but many have leveled off. It was a smaller Nationals than previous years, and the LOC has asked for feedback form all participants (a form was included in the registration packet). I'll also check to see if the form is on-line.
Next year will be my 10th AN - I'm glad it's in Lake Placid!

Raine
04-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Flo, congratulations on your win. I'm sorry I missed your event. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your interp programs.

I'm starting to realize how much I missed. Being my first ANs, I found it a challenge to coordinate practice ice times and meal times and watch as much skating as possible.

It was exhausting but fun, and I encourage anyone who's been considering ANs to participate at Lake Placid next year and boost the numbers. :)

Cheers,
Raine

jazzpants
04-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by lilpairsk8ter
I just have to say that Jays hair was sooo awesome looking for his interp program. i couldn't take my eyes off of him.

The exhibition fri night was cool to watch. I loved Davins balloon number from last year and im glad he did it again. The lasy who skated to the streak song was very very funny and soo was the ballet dancer.
I also enjoyed jays exhibition number along with the skaters from the Ann Arbor club.

Did Jay do MK? Or his Interp number for this year? Or some new group number I don't know about? He didn't tell me (and I didn't ask), but I assume he was doing the Interp for this year! (I'll ask him tomorrow too. Then again, it's b/c I have a lesson w/him...so I might not be alive after that...LOL!!!) :P

He had trouble skating with the hairstyle for both AS and AN. I see him teaching with a headband or ski cap at times to keep the hair off his face!!! I jokingly dubbed his hairstyle this year the "ice dancer" look (since he looked like at least one ice dancer I saw on TV and he was ice dancing at the time he had the hair...) It's been cut slightly shorter recently (don't recall if it was before or after AN...but it's shorter...), so he could see where he's skating!!! :lol: :P

I'm looking forward to seeing what he's gonna do next with his hair. :P (Recalling that a couple of years back his hair was bleached BLOND...) :lol:

And yes, I *DO* love Davin's balloon number, though I'm looking forward to watching him at Skate SF this year for his "Wizard of Oz" debut more... :lol: :P

Figureskates
04-16-2003, 03:09 PM
I will be at AN next year at Lake Placid, most likely working behind the scenes since my club is host club.

skateflo
04-16-2003, 07:03 PM
It is so wonderful to hear so many reports!! And those of you who had not the greatest skate, so openly acknowledged it and moved on - wow! You still have enthusiasm and a positive attitude. I just may go watch in Lake Placid next year - anyone know the dates?? I have to put in my vacation by next Wednesday for next year.

Interesting that several had opposite views of the effects of Moves, and the overall quality of skating. Do you think that the participant mixture now weighs more on the previous skating experience people (skated when a kid) versus those you learned to skate as an adult? I remember a conversation a year or two ago about the former skaters sort of taking over AN.

One more thought or rather a question...do you think the adult committee would ever entertain the idea of a 'no-jump' competition category like the ISI?

Elsy2
04-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Jay did do the MK number for the exhibition (I recognized that change edge spiral in particular) but not in costume, so I'm not sure everyone knew what it was all about. His skating was wonderful during this year's interpretive, but I saw one judge didn't like it and put him in last place...ouch! Perhaps it was the hair, LOL!

Davin's Wizard of Oz was my favorite number this year, you're going to love it Jazzpants!

Black Sheep
04-16-2003, 07:19 PM
This year my favorite number was Becca Guthrie's The Streak! I know it won last year, but I'd missed it back then. I laughed my head off when I saw it this year, and felt bad that it got last place this time around. Maybe the judges were offended or something....

jazzpants
04-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Jay did do the MK number for the exhibition (I recognized that change edge spiral in particular) but not in costume, so I'm not sure everyone knew what it was all about. His skating was wonderful during this year's interpretive, but I saw one judge didn't like it and put him in last place...ouch! Perhaps it was the hair, LOL!

Davin's Wizard of Oz was my favorite number this year, you're going to love it Jazzpants!

Darn!!! No dress!!! (Maybe he couldn't get a blue dress with gold trimming in time for this year...or the curly hair made it hard for him to pull it to a bun...) :P

*HOWL* LOL!!! :lol: (about the hair comment...) Maybe that judge didn't like techno music??? Did you also noticed he was actually tied for second but got bumped to third by the tie breaking judge?

Davin, if you are reading this... I look forward to your Interp program this year at Skate SF... :D

On an earlier reply: Yuffie...toliet paper??? :lol: Seriously, we actually had a skater recently do a program at a competition with a white sheer scarf, but I saw her practice it earlier in the week with Kleenex tissues! :lol:

Black Sheep: Maybe there's a rule that says "If you did a particular Interp program and won last year, you better NOT do the same Interp program this year!" :lol:

jazzpants
04-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Are up. You can view it at this link (http://www.ledinvideo.com/photo/events/ice_competitions/adult_nationals_2003.html).

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2003, 01:13 PM
What I want to know is, how on earth does Manleywoman get her leg up that high???? I would be flat on my back if I tried that.

wannask8
04-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Wow, the pix are amazing -- I have GOT to go watch AN one of these years.

-- wannask8

manleywoman
04-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Mrs. Redboots...i just lean back as far as possible on the blade and hold my breath!
8O

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Sheesh - I know I'd fall over backwards if I tried.... except perhaps with the "fake leg" I use in one of my programmes.....

Elsy2
04-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Fake leg? 8O Reminds me of a picture I saw on one of those crazy papers you see at the grocery checkout. It was a 3-legged ice skater. Oh I wish I had bought that one and posted the picture at our rink!

Manleywoman, you have several very nice pictures...and I love how you are smiling in every one!

Black Sheep
04-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Fake leg? 8O Reminds me of a picture I saw on one of those crazy papers you see at the grocery checkout. It was a 3-legged ice skater. Oh I wish I had bought that one and posted the picture at our rink!

There's a (raunchy!) site called FARK.com that sometimes has Photoshop contests for pix of skaters. Some of the things people have come up with are hysterical, but others are disturbing.....8-)

manleywoman
04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Manleywoman, you have several very nice pictures...and I love how you are smiling in every one!

Thanks Elsy2. I was thrilled to get some good pictures after several years of embarrassing photos from Sectionals/Nationals.

As for the smiling, one of my competitors asked me how I do that while competing, and I told her two things:
1) I always try to have a good time during competitions. It helps take away the nerves, and frankly, why do all this training all year to not have a good time at the end? and...
2) I PRACTICE program run-throughs while smiling. Beleive it or not. You can't practice all year stone faced and expect to go out in front of judges and plant a grin on your face. So I practice all year like that.

So even if I don't medal or fall a few times, at least the crowd enjoys watching me anyway. Because if I have a good time, they have a good time!

:D :D :D

jazzpants
04-24-2003, 01:00 PM
I'd pretend I'm my coach doing his program when I'm practicing my program. (You guys who know him know his flashy smile and style...) The bad part now is keeping myself from going into fits of laughter at times, actually!!! :lol: (Hey, he said I should pretend I'm him in the program... I'm just doing what he said.) :twisted: :P

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Fake leg? 8O Reminds me of a picture I saw on one of those crazy papers you see at the grocery checkout. It was a 3-legged ice skater. Oh I wish I had bought that one and posted the picture at our rink!Wait until after the Mountain Cup, and I'll maybe have a photo or two.... I'm not saying anything yet, although those who were at the Dune of Flanders Cup know all about it.

Manleywoman, you have several very nice pictures...and I love how you are smiling in every one! Yes, aren't they nice. And getting that leg up like that..... envy, envy.....

roogu
04-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Here's a good question ... who on this board, is who? heheh

Also, does Davin post here? And is he also the gentleman who did an interpretive last year with the balloon that I've heard the incredible reviews about?? He certainly sounds like a true skater's skater!!

jazzpants
04-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Also, does Davin post here? And is he also the gentleman who did an interpretive last year with the balloon that I've heard the incredible reviews about?? He certainly sounds like a true skater's skater!! I'll leave it to everyone else the option to tell who's who on this board. But, AFAIK, Davin does NOT post on this board. Yes, he's the balloon guy!!! And yes, he's truly gorgeous to watch skate!!! He's good enough to be a pro skater if he wanted to be one.

Go to the Adult Nationals photo website (http://www.ledinvideo.com/photo/events/ice_competitions/adult_nationals_2003.html) and look for "D. Grinstaff" (NOT the "Dorothy from Oz" one!!!) and look at the height of his split jump!!! 8O

roogu
04-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Nevermind the split jump, look at the tuck and the height in his flying sit!!! :D

Just out of curiousity's sake, what was his theme in that balloon program? Was there a story? What did he do with the balloon, but more importantly, did it represent something?

yuffie
04-25-2003, 11:03 PM
My interpretation of Davin's balloon program....a story of a boy who finds a balloon, loses the balloon (it's out of sight, but really right behind him the whole time), and at the end finds his balloon (and then it breaks). Beginning pose of sadness and ending pose are the same.....The program is very "mime-like" and intriguing. One thing that is great about his programs is his total captivation of the audience's attention, plus great skating. Every move is choreographed to perfection. I'm a total fan!

Elsy on Yuffie's computer again.....

skaternum
04-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by yuffie
My interpretation of Davin's balloon program... <snip> One thing that is great about his programs is his total captivation of the audience's attention, plus great skating. Every move is choreographed to perfection. I'm a total fan!

That's a pretty good summary. It's quite funny to see Davin as the little boy searching around for the balloon (tied to his waist, I think) when we can see that it's bobbing around behind his back and to see his delight when he finds it. And of course, he does an awesome camel spin where the balloon is floating straight up into the air while his body spins around it. Just awesome!!

Mrs Redboots
04-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
That's a pretty good summary. It's quite funny to see Davin as the little boy searching around for the balloon (tied to his waist, I think) when we can see that it's bobbing around behind his back and to see his delight when he finds it. And of course, he does an awesome camel spin where the balloon is floating straight up into the air while his body spins around it. Just awesome!! Out of interest, what music was he using? I can see such a programme done to "The Red Balloon", which was both a pop song and a beautiful, beautiful BEAUTIFUL French film in the late 1960s.

jazzpants
04-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
That's a pretty good summary. It's quite funny to see Davin as the little boy searching around for the balloon (tied to his waist, I think) when we can see that it's bobbing around behind his back and to see his delight when he finds it. And of course, he does an awesome camel spin where the balloon is floating straight up into the air while his body spins around it. Just awesome!!

I asked him about it at the awards booth! It's tied to his waist AND to his fingers on both hands - a pulley system of sorts. The lines from what I see are old fishing lines. It's strong enough to get a strong enough pull quickly but invisible enough where people won't be able to see the line from a distance. He had something on him (like a pin or a sharp object) on his wrist to pop the balloon at the end of the program too but I forgot what it was. )I was too concentrated with checking out the pulley system.) :D :D :D

I wish I could answer Annabel's question, but I clearly don't know the music. It certainly wasn't "99 Red Balloons" (neither the English or German version.)