View Full Version : foot injury

sk8clean
04-08-2003, 10:48 AM
On Wednesday I was enjoying the wonderful sunshine and 70 degree weather when bam. I missed a step and my ankle rolled. That was the end of my great day. On April 26 (now 18 days away) I am suppose to be in my first competition. The ankle was only sprained and with an aircast I can walk on it just fine. But the bruised and swollen ankle will not fit into a skate. My coach said that if I cannot skate next week I will have to sit this one out. So here's to elvation, ice and hope that my foot can fit in a skate next week.

Mrs Redboots
04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Oh, I'm sorry! Sending lots of healing thoughts your way.... do be careful with the ice, you don't want to overdo it and get frostbite as one gentlemen of my cyber-acquaintance did, trying to heal an ankle in a hurry!

mikawendy
04-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Yes, be careful with the ice--
My PT says no more than 15 minutes at a time or the result may be more swelling. You can do this several times a day but not right before you exercise. Anytime that you do exercise, whenever you do start skating again, be sure to ice right after you're done with your workout and cooldown, even if you're not in pain.

I rolled my ankle recently and took a week completely off and was fine the next week.

If you can tolerate ibuprofen or naproxen, and your doc recommends it, then try to take some--be sure to do it regularly so that it can have a cumulative effect (my PT suggests not taking it for longer than 10 days because it begins to have less of an effect).

Some people like to wear an Ace ankle bandage (the kind that's all one elasticy piece, not the long kind you wrap yourself) for extra support and compression.

Whatever you do, don't soak it in warm/hot water--that will just make it swell up more. You may be craving a bath but it will feel worse after.

...and run the other way if anyone suggests a cortisone shot. Just my opinion, but these are often not worth it for the long-term consequences unless you're at a really big competition (and not even then, sometimes...). If you get multiple shots in one joint, the cortisone can eventually crystallize and damage the tendons at that joint.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Sk8Bunny
04-08-2003, 09:14 PM
First of all, I hope you get better and can compete!! Secondly, last year when I hurt my ankle real bad, while I was in phsyical therapy/rehab, my PT had me do ice massages on the swollen area of my ankle. At first it was torture, but after the first time or so it is so relaxing and soothing and the swelling really does go down. heres what you do - fill dixie cups of small styrofoam cup 3/4 full of water. freeze them. then rub ice in cicular motion on swelling area. dont rub hard, just gently, and not too fast. this sounds really strange, i know, cuase the first time i tried it i freaked out and thought i would get hypothermia or something, lol, but as long as you keep the ice massage under 6 minutes, you will do fine. just make sure you keep massaging constantly. It is when the ice sits still on your skin that you can get ice burns. do this every 2 - 3 hours for the first 2 days, then back-down to every 4 hours or so. hope that helps. email me if you have any questions or need clarifications.

tidesong
04-09-2003, 04:25 AM
I really hope you are okay. I'm still off the ice from my ankle injury and its 3 weeks and and half now. But yours doesn't sounds as bad as mine so I hope you will be fine in a week :)

sk8er1964
04-09-2003, 07:12 AM
So sorry about your ankle - I know it's really tough to have to face sitting out a competition that you've been working hard for. Hopefully the ankle will heal soon. Listen to the doctors and take it easy! Good luck.

sk8clean
04-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice. I will try the ice message. Its been a week and I still cannot get my skate on my foot because of the swelling and bruising. I just keep reminding myself that if I can't skate in the competition (even though I will get really upset) the world is not going to end. I will also remember not to skate very long when I can get back on the ice.
Tidesong I hope your ankle is better soon.

96.23??
04-11-2003, 08:14 PM
hi!
i know how u feel
two days b4 my last test of the season for dance i sprained my ankel and guess how... walking on the ice... haha ud think i would be able to balance with skatin hahahah guess not!
but i hope u recover fast and well cuz im almost better now!!! :) just elevate it and ice it like crazy thats what i did!!!!!!

GET BETTER!!!

sk8clean
04-12-2003, 03:13 PM
I got back on the ice today!! I can do all of my moves except the jumps and lunge, but I am sure in the next two weeks after my ankle gets more stronger I will be able to bear through them in the competition.

~*SkYlA*~
04-12-2003, 08:41 PM
I HATE WHEN YOUR FEET HURT IN YOUR SKATES! i have a pair of skates that OTTAWA sold to me and then when i tried to take them back they wouldn't let me! EURG! anyway now everytime i skate (everyday) my arches hurt like you would NEVER belive and i can't wear them for more than 20 mins! NEVER GO TO FIGURE 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause they are young and have NO idea what there doing go to Barrie or Toronto! there better! much much better!

dbny
04-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by sk8clean
I got back on the ice today!! I can do all of my moves except the jumps and lunge, but I am sure in the next two weeks after my ankle gets more stronger I will be able to bear through them in the competition.

Good for you :!: Good luck in the comp :)

96.23??
04-13-2003, 08:56 AM
RE: "I HATE WHEN YOUR FEET HURT IN YOUR SKATES! i have a pair of skates that OTTAWA sold to me and then when i tried to take them back they wouldn't let me! EURG! anyway now everytime i skate (everyday) my arches hurt like you would NEVER belive and i can't wear them for more than 20 mins! NEVER GO TO FIGURE 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause they are young and have NO idea what there doing go to Barrie or Toronto! there better! much much better!"

i know exactly what you are talking about... i bought my pair of grafs this year from there and boy they fit me rong. they gave me a width of aa. it hurt soo much, i got arch problems, my heels slipped giving me major blisters, the side of my foot was all blistered it was horrible, i had to get my skates stretched big time when i came back home to skate with them... then a few weeks later i went to skating boutique in toronto.. i showed them my feet and they sad i would prolly need a boot with a width of c! i was so angry! so i agree deff with you when you want a boot fitted never ever ever go to figure eight they have no idea what they are doing!! i suggest ttoronto as well! :):):)

96.23??
04-13-2003, 08:59 AM
i also still get major blisters on my heel because its too loose in the back but i cant wear larger tights/ socks bc its too tight on the sides!!
NEVER EVER GO TO FIGURE EIGHT! :evil: ive had my skates for almost a year and a half and now they feel great but at the begginning its horrible and they look kind of damaged because i needed them stretched out soo much!! :(