View Full Version : Looking for new boots Q

Candleonwater
04-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Okay, anyone out there that has a "wedge" shaped foot? (wider toe box)... possibly with any pronation? :)

My daughter just switched (on a coaches recommendation) from Reidell to Harlick... and it's been horrible for her. She's had the boots about 6 weeks now and her feet cramp constantly. This is not a problem she had with the Reidells but this coach said she'd be better off in a boot with a higher heel... We've done everything we can think of - punch out the arch, change the tightness of the laces, etc...

Any suggestions on boots? She's getting close to working on her axel so I want to make sure we've made the change in boots first so as to not disrupt her progress.

Elsy2
04-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Are you saying the toebox in the Harlick's is too narrow? Or is it that the arch doesn't fit her foot correctly? I just shipped daughter's custom Harlick's back to them to stretch out the entire toebox of both boots, but I'm not sure this will actually work sufficiently to fit her. The toeboxes looked unusually narrow when we received this pair. This is our third pair of custom Harlick's, and were supposed to be identical to her current pair of skates. She cannot leave them on sitting down, much less skate in them.

When I got my last pair of stock boots, the difference of 1/2 size made the arch area fit nicely. My feet were cramping in the half size smaller, so I'm wondering if your daughter's boots may be a bit short....

I wear SP-teri's, which have a reputation of having a wider toebox. I have a split width, with AA in front, AAA in the heel. I find the toebox to be nice and roomy.

JDC1
04-08-2003, 08:59 AM
I have a slightly wide toe box and skinny, skinny heel and I find Grafs are a good fit on me but not without some cramping because of a bone that sticks out on the side of my foot however once I went back to my fitter and he gave me some tips it's been great!! Grafs are expensive and I woudn't have shelled out this much money if the Jackson's hadn't killed my feet and SP Teri Super Deluxe (they come in dual width so I'd give that some thought) KILLED my bony, bony ankles. At the time I was determined not to have to pad my feet but I've given up that fantasy because bony feet need extra padding. So if I were you I'd have her try on dual width SP Teri Super Deluxe another skater who has her axel and has had similar problems LOVES her SP Teri's and they're a bit cheaper than Grafs.

JDC1
04-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Pretty fun we posted at the same time and recommended the same boot!! :-)

vesperholly
04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
I have very wide feet, a regular arch and a high instep (the part the laces go over). I had custom Harlicks and had the same problem - cramping, feet falling asleep, etc. It was terrible. I used to have to take them off after 15min because they hurt so much I couldn't skate. Evil, evil skates.

I switched to custom Klingbeils last October, and I LOVE THEM. I can now keep my skates on for over two hours if need be. I had to get the ankle punched out once at the very beginning, and I get very bad lace bite on the top outsides between the tongue and the sides, unless I put in a sponge pad and then they're fine. They were broken in after about three weeks. I have a lambswool tongue and a 2" heel on them, because I started out in custom Rose's and that's the height they came with and I didn't want to screw around with heel heights. I also think it looks nicer, and great for dance. :) I know a lot of people with really odd feet that have Klingbeils and love them.

Interestingly, I went up 1/4" in my blade size from the Harlicks to the Klingbeils, and my foot hasn't grown in years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they build Harlicks too short in general.

If you don't want to go custom, Klingbeil's has some stock boots, too. I would recommend them to everyone.

Jocelyn

RoaringSkates
04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Harlicks tend to have a narrow toe-box. In fact, they have a very narrow front. The toe box of the Reidells is much roomier.

If your daughter has a wide forefoot, like I do, people recommend Klingbeil, SP Teri, Risport, and Jackson, all of which tend to have wider forefoot areas than Harlick. If you're looking for a boot with both a wide forefoot and a higher heel, you could try Risport.

Harlick also tends to have a higher arch, so this could also be impacting her feet. If your coach wants her to have a boot with a higher arch, but you need a wider forefoot than Harlick, try SP Teri.

skaternum
04-08-2003, 10:56 AM
I have wedge-shaped feet (wide ball and very narrow heel) and slight pronation. The only boots I've found that fit me well are custom Klingbeils.

Wider boots (like Jackson or Teri) do come in combination widths, so you can order a narrower heel than ball, but those just didn't do it for me. My heels always slipped. Customs were necessary for my extremely narrow little heels.

For the pronation, I was using my orthotics inside my other boots, but with the Klingbeils, they're actually made into the boot. Very nice, because swapping those orthotics in & out of shoes / boots / shoes / boots was a pain in the neck.

Elsy2
04-08-2003, 11:15 AM
I just want to add that if you look at SP-teri, a Super teri model may be strong enough for your daughter....she may not need the stronger deluxe. My daughter learned her axel and early doubles in Super-teri's, so I suppose it depends on her size, etc. My daughter was about age 11 at the time.

A agree JDC1 on the SP-teri's hurting the ankle bones! I think this is because those inside hooks lie right on mine, and I have always worn bunga pads with them. They are well broken in at 3 1/2 years old, and I still can't do without my bungas. Flo posted about asymetrical quarters on her boots. I'm going to ask George up at AN if they offer this. I think this changes where those hooks lie at the ankle, and could be something I need.

Sk8Bunny
04-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Talking about boots- I have a question of my own. I have heard Grafs are nice boots but break down easily. I need new skates, and have had sp's for the past 3 years, and wish to try something else. dont care for them too much. But i am a powerful jumper and stuff, and i am not really petite so i tend to really break my boots down quickly. Is it a smart move to get Grafs? Would they break down too quickly? my family cant afford new skates more than once a year, so i cant have a boot breaking down on me the first 5 months i have them.

P.S. Sorry to change the subject of the orignal!! :??

CanAmSk8ter
04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
I have the same shaped foot and had the same problem with my Harlicks- and they were customs, too. I went back to my Risports and have no intention of trying anything else anytime soon. I love them.

becca
04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
sk8bunny,
I have had my last 2 pairs of grafs last me for 10-months to a year. I am 160lbs and i skate 6 days a week (often 2 sessions a day). I do up to 2lutz. Even once my grafs do breakdown i (and several other skaters) have found that we can stretch them an extra 2-3 months with duct tape or packaging tape. You can also buy them in etra strength if you are worried. I did have one friend break her regular stregth ones down in 7 months but she taped them for at least another 2 months and was fine in them.

JDC1
04-12-2003, 05:33 PM
well Part of the reason I shelled out the money is because I skate 2-4 times a week, I weigh around 120 pounds, and I am just doing single jumps and switching to dance so my Grafs could last me years easily but I have heard that they do break down faster for the competitive skaters.

anital
04-13-2003, 02:46 AM
Australia's top female skater uses and loves Graf Edmontons (mine are in the post, so I'll let you all know very soon!!!!) and she goes through a pair a season, which is pretty good and although maybe slightly less than some other boots, if they fit perfectly and are comfortable it's worth it.

love2sk8
04-13-2003, 06:49 AM
I skate in Graf Galaxy's, and I LOVE them. They are a really comfortable boot partially because of the heat molding. I weigh around 110, and skate 2-3 sessions a day, 6 days a week doing triples...they've lasted me two years today, actually....and they're not even close to breaking down yet. But im not that hard on my skates...

Sk8bunny, you should go to a store that specializes in skate fittings, and see which boot they recommend...which boot they think would best fit your foot, because everyone has a certain skate that is preferable.

Hope this helps!

Elsy2
04-13-2003, 04:53 PM
At the other end of the spectrum......I know a Junior level boy who needs new Edmonton Specials every three months. So I guess it's hard to predict how they will hold up for an individual.

yuffie
04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Candleonwater
My daughter just switched (on a coaches recommendation) from Reidell to Harlick... and it's been horrible for her.

I've had Reidell's, SP Teri's, and Harlicks. When I switched to Harlick customs I didn't even have to wear pads :D . When we ordered them the second time we told them to make them the same as the first pair, but when they came they we slightly bigger so I wear insoles to take up the space. I had to wear bungs pads witht hem at first. We recently ordered the third pair and they are not good at all! They are too small and they are not wide enough in the front... they are custom skates how can they be not wide enough? I don't know what is happening with Harlick and I'm kinda mad about it because they are my favorite brand :( .

I want to get resized and measured for skates again because my feet might have changed in size, but my skates that I wear now still fit... they are just badly creased.

karowicz45
04-13-2003, 10:37 PM
I just bought riedells. 220s, 7 wide , ochies8O , I love them I am a beginner, but I would love jacksons ultimas they look so comfy, of cousre your daugther is at a differnt level, these are my first real skate, so I not much help, just wanted to comment

karowicz45
04-15-2003, 09:28 AM
go to a good pro shop may be several of them and try as many kinds* of skates as you can , I went cazy looking and asking, finnally the proshop i went to fitted me and said these riedells are for you, he was right, linus is a good guy give me a good deal too only 150*00 on 235*00 skates that with out tax to, so figure another 15*00 bucks ps he also gave me a better blade too :)

wannask8
04-16-2003, 11:46 AM
karowicz45, you did get a nice deal on those. My 220s were a present from hubby, but I happen to know he paid more than that.

Be sure to visit the recent thread on breaking in new skates next!

-- wannask8

TashaKat
04-17-2003, 02:41 AM
I have a wider forefoot and narrow heel and haven't had a single problem with Harlicks and I have the quadra-bond-super-cement model! I HAVE found them to be very helpful, though, so definitely get back to them ..... I'm sure that they'll sort it out for you.

L x

Raine
04-20-2003, 09:11 AM
I have "duck feet" myself (wide toe, narrow heel), and have found stock SP Super-Teris to work just fine for me, but it's such an individual thing. Previously I had Reidells, which I hated--my right foot would often cramp in mid-air. 8O

Cheers,
Raine

96.23??
04-20-2003, 05:35 PM
i also have a wide foot:) i have graf edmonton specials and they are wonderful after i had them punched out because i had them fitted badly at figure eight. however after punching them out they feel great im on my double loops and my grafs are doing fine. however, my club doesnt get too much ice time so i only skate about 3 times a week and four in the summer. but they are great :)

96.23??
04-20-2003, 05:39 PM
id just like to add that it will prolly depend on how hard ur on ur skates. i weigh around 90 and ive had my grafs for almost a year now. and they are a really comfy boot, at the shop i had them heat molded which a special little feature grafs have where u heat them up then u put ur foot into them and they take the shape of ur foot a little more