View Full Version : Double Flip/Lutz

Sk8Bunny
04-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi, does anyone have good tips for the double flip, and especially the double lutz. I am so close to landing it and its very very fustrating cause I cant land it. I have the rotation, but i 2-foot or step out of the landing. Any advice how I can land it one foot?? Thanx!
Sk8Bunny

sk8er1964
04-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Ok, Sk8bunny, I haven't tried those jumps for, oh, 22 years :lol: . But, I do have that problem with my adult version of the axel. With me, it is mental - there is no reason that, if you are fully rotated and in the correct position, you cannot land it except for your mind. I have been visualizing my jumps (eyes closed, going through my program to the music, literally feeling the muscles move in the elements) and it really helps. Is this a technical answer? No. However, it may just help.

PS - I can't wait to try the double flip in the harness. I was landing the double toe and fully rotated on the double sal before I got hurt, and the flip is my favorite jump - I'd love to have one in my program as a 39 year old at the next ANs!!!!

becca
04-07-2003, 10:47 PM
First of all make sure that your left arm (right if you are a reverse jumper) is checked on the take-off (this should help with the stepping out). I also find that if I make sure that my knee comes up on the take off (as i jump), it help to avoid 2 foot landings. Also, make sure that you get a good pivot on the toe when you take off (this helps more with rotation but also gets you into a good air position which in turn helps with landing). The thing that has helped me the most on all jumps is to clasp my hands together in front of me on the right side (under or in front of my right breat...obviously flip sides if you are a reverse jumper). When I land I really puch down on my hands which makes you land further forward on your blade and makes it amost impossible to flip/turn/step/fall out. I hope that this makes some sense and that it helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Sk8Bunny
04-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Thank you, Sk8er1964, for your advice. I will definetely give visualization a try. I have tried it for competition programs, but somehow it never occured to me to use it for just jumps! What a great idea. Good luck on your double flip. Its funny- the double flip is my favourite jump too!

vesperholly
04-08-2003, 09:00 AM
What helps me with flips and lutzes is to remember to stretch my right leg as far back as I can (without dropping my upper body) to pick in. If you pick too close, you will just go up and down and the jump won't have any height, flow or speed.

Jocelyn

Mrs Redboots
04-08-2003, 10:31 AM
My coach has an exercise that he makes his double-flip pupils do, which is to skate round the circle, then do, without stopping in between, a half-flip, a 1.5 flip and a double flip. That does seem to help with increasing the rotation and height you need. And the young lady I saw being worked on that now has a very respectable double flip!

BringontheRain
04-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Doing a lot of backspins with quick exits

Make sure you landing leg and toe are completely pointed when you are coming down

Step up into the jump, don't slide into it

Do an easier double right before to get the feeling of a landing

~*SkYlA*~
04-12-2003, 08:53 PM
If your not in a lesson or a program....then close your eyes and see you self do the jump a few times! it works! at least of me anyway! or just by the side of the bords do a back spin and jump out of it...it helps get the feeling of landing the jump! :D