View Full Version : Skating obsession pays off!

wannask8
04-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Okay, slightly OT, but I just have to share this with you guys. I’ve been trying to get back into art lately (“practical” things edged it out of my life a long time ago), and I finally decided to enter an international miniature print competition held by an art center the next state over. While trying to decide on a subject, I found myself watching part of the Grand Prix, and – bingo! – decided on skating. To my utter amazement, all of my submissions (silhouettes of a layback, a sit spin, and one jump landing) were selected for the exhibition, and when I went to the opening today, there they were, framed and hanging on the wall!

If only I could one day master a skating skill anywhere near one of those I depicted, I suppose my life would really be complete . . . !

-- wannask8

kayskate
04-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Congrats on the art exhibit. Let us know if you win the competition.
When I started skating (10+ yrs ago, as an adult), I really wanted to do a layback but thought it was impossible for me. I learned it fairly early and can do one competently. I don't know how long you have been skating, but you might surprise yourself.

Kay

Raine
04-07-2003, 10:45 AM
That's so awesome. Sounds like you're a "recovering artist". If so, you're well on your way to a full recovery.

Cheers,
Raine

wannask8
04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I was sooo humbled by the incredible talent in this exhibition. I didn’t win any of the judges’ prizes, but I was just happy to have my three pieces selected for exhibition, as only half of over 500 prints from around the world were selected.

Kay, I can only muster once a week on the ice (knee issues), so I’m learning slowly, but I am determined to try a layback some day!

-- wannask8