View Full Version : Wizard or woeful: Lessons/practices 6-12 April

Mrs Redboots
04-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Wizard: Not a great deal! I suppose it was "good in parts". We had a good practice, but we do find that when Robert is going backwards, our shoulders (his left and my right) fly apart on his RBO/my LFO swing rolls. Spent awhile working on this in the lesson, too.
Did a great Rhythm Blues - coach said it got better as it went along, but I'd thought it was worse - I'd started off nice and loose in the knees, and tensed up a bit. Did a relatively-decent Swing Dance; the end pattern is still a bit off, though. Although I do now get my Mohawk in time about half the time, I'm still apt to lurch forwards instead of staying upright. Oh dear, if it's not one thing, it's another.

Woeful: Robert's timing! He did a solo Dutch waltz and it was appalling - no way were those swing rolls held for 6 beats, and he didn't point his toes. It's such a shame, as he skates more difficult dances much better! We weren't too bad together today, actually, although trying to do cross-rolls in Foxtrot hold is still difficult. And we did a Prelim waltz, but the main trouble is I still don't push into my 3-turns enough. Oh dear.....

icenut84
04-06-2003, 02:54 PM
I haven't posted on the lessons threads in ages because my computer went kaput (on about the 15th of March). Have had 3 sessions since then, so I'll just do a bit of a round up of everything.

Ok, in the last 3 weeks, my rink closed for good. I had my last ever skate there, and so not only do I have to start skating somewhere else even further away, I also have to find new coaches and get to know people from scratch again. :( Yesterday I went to the rink I'm probably going to start going to every Saturday from now on. After spending nearly an hour and a half travelling there in the car, we got there to be told there was no public skating because of the ice hockey Superleague play-offs!!!! Was very annoyed and disappointed, just came home. Nearly 3 hours travelling for nothing, such a waste of time.

On a brighter note though, I have noticed some improvements in my skating. My spins are improving steadily - I had what was probably my first ever properly centred one (Yay!!), and have also tried them from doing a FI3, then stepping to the FO edge. Entry is almost consistent now! My turns are pretty much 100% consistent too, and I'm in good control. :) At my old rink, I did some of the dances on the dance interval with my hands behind my back (like a speed skater). It's harder than when you have your arms free, as you have to really think about shoulder/body/hip etc placement, but it's great for improving control and balance. Step sequences and pivots were good too, and I also had my first ever fall on a spin! I have NO idea what happened, as I was balanced etc just fine, I just suddenly fell down. I might have hit a rut or something (and the ice was softer than I'm used to) but it didn't really hurt, fortunately. I have now fallen on a jump once, a spin once and a spiral once. :mrgreen: lol

singerskates
04-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Beware of the Ides of March (poor computer). LOL Glad you have a computer that is up now, Icenut84.

Debbie S
04-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone! I was at Worlds 2 weeks ago - and had a fabulous time. The downside, as far as my skating goes, is that I didn't get to practice for almost 2 weeks. When I finally practiced this past Thursday, I realized just how much you can "lose" being off the ice for a while. Fortunately, most everything "came back" with a little practice. I saw I wasn't the only one; there was a skater going to Adult Nats who had also been at Worlds, and she (of course) needed to rediscover her jumps pretty quickly.

Wizard:
Had first lesson of new session yesterday. I'm now in FS5 - the big skills at this level are the flip and the camel spin. We first worked on one of the moves sequences - a BO turn, FI mohawk, and 3 back crossovers, repeated 3 times. Arrgghh! I thought I had my BO turns figured out - RBO is sort of OK, LBO is pathetic - much more practice needed.

We didn't get to the camel spin, as we spent the rest of the time learning the flip. Our instructor (who I've had for the past 4 sessions - it's a good thing - he's very good) told us that the loop, flip, and lutz are essentially the same jump - takeoff from landing foot facing forward. We worked on the setup - FO turn and pick - and did the takeoff in slow motion. A couple of times, we tried actually taking off and landing at normal speed, and I almost landed it - well, I did, but I landed forward so I had to drop my free foot, so it was 2-footed, I guess. I am a much better toe jumper than an edge jumper.

Woeful:
The loop again! I had this jump, honest! Before we worked on the flip, our instructor had us practice the loop for a few minutes, since he knew we needed more practice with that. And my loop was nowhere to be found. As we were about to move on to the flip, I began sort of landing it, except that I was on my inside edge and had to flail my arms to stay balanced. Instructor said to make sure my right arm stays low as I rotate so it won't throw me off to the left.

I tried that spin entry, icenut, except that I think I'm probably not advanced enough to get the necessary momentum. For now, I'm just doing the crossover-choctaw entry. Don't worry - I've fallen on spins a lot - I think it's b/c my weight shifts and my toe pick gets caught - hey if it could happen to Sasha Cohen at Worlds, it could happen to anyone!

DancinDiva
04-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Wizard: YAY! Finally got my CW back crossover to actually cross over! Now I can do both sides. Did some really nice spread eagles and impressed my whole class. One of my instructors has been away for two weeks and just returned and had no idea I was starting spread eagles. His jaw dropped when he saw me do it (I didn't know he was watching) and he yelled out "Do that again!" and then showed me an Ina Bauer. It was really cool.

jenlyon60
04-07-2003, 08:19 PM
All MITF today... no hard work... my reward for NO MORE EUROPEAN WALTZ 8-) 8-) Since that completes my Pre-Silvers, I guess this means I don't get to compete Bronze MIF anymore.

We started working on forward power 3's again and they were actually better... also the alternating forward crossovers...coach was pleased with those and the alternating back crossovers. 5-step mohawk was also a bit better.

Plus my coach was tired after spending almost 24 hours on the road to/from Georgia to become the proud owner of an adorable little cockapoo puppy.

MissIndigo
04-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Wizard: Actually being able to skate today!!! First time on the ice in four weeks!!! I got some sort of virus from hell the second weekend in March and was sick for a solid two weeks. Then pollen season started around here and my allergies flared up, with me unable to rid the last bits of the virus. I took a one-two punch and am still recovering, but getting better. I went back to the doctor last week after my symptoms still weren't abating and was also diagnosed with asthma. Ugh.

Basic stroking was good. Did a lot of basics today since I'm still pretty weak, but coach said my crossovers were smooth and powerful. We did some edge exercises too. Upright scratch spins okay; I traveled more than I usually do, but they will come back. Also squeaked out a camel today too--I am sure my legs will pay for that one tomorrow.

Woeful: Even after only a 30-minute lesson, I thought I was going to die. It's going to be a haul back to the form I was in before I got sick, affecting breathing most of all. Muscles felt ok though.

Next lesson is Saturday.

jazzpants
04-08-2003, 12:57 AM
Wizard: Yesterday's skate: From a standstill, I was able to start and finish my forward power 3's... BOTH SIDES!!!
Yesterday's skate: One of my skating buddy finally coax probably one of my best camel spin YET out of me!!! WOO HOO!!! :D
Woeful: A lot of people are heading for Ann Arbor, MI today... unfortunately, I'm stuck at home.
Today's skate: Couldn't even get a sit spin... never mind a camel... :cry:
Today's skate: At the beginning it was okay. But at the end -- not only could I NOT compete the forward power 3's pattern but toward the end I could even manage a LFO3!!! AAAAUUUUGH!!! :(
Almost had the loop today and yesterday...

JDC1
04-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Wizard - Last night for the first time tryed a little bit of the Dutch Waltz with a partner!! Woo hoo. That was fun and a little nerve wracking.

Am making progress on the loop, it's often cheated but I now consistently get UP off the ice and rotate so that's HUGE.

Accidently did a counter last night. :-)

Woeful - Oy I still have such lousy spins. My left side is SO much weaker - skating wise - than my right I am really going to focus on improving my left side and hopefully it will help my spins!!

batikat
04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Wizard: Getting back on the ice after 10 days off due to the rinks annual Opens. And the ice was perfect - though now the Zambonis broken so may not be so good tomorrow.
Did some of the basic dances with a partner and remembered the steps to most of them!
Also did a couple of really nice (for me anyway!) sit spins - fast, centred and up into a really fast upright. :D
Did jumps in my lesson - still need to work on getting higher but at least they are recognisable jumps now. Coach had me try salchow-toeloop-toeloop combination and I did it. Was not very elegant but i did it!
Also tried the Fiesta Tango again - I just about remember the steps but pushing hard enough to get the correct pattern will take some time. Even though I am not a fan of compulsory dance I am quite enjoying learning a new one and it is good for my general skating. I think I would have been hopeless if I had gone straight into Freestyle , jumps and stuff, as I did not originally have the confidence to leave the ice for jumping at all.

Woeful - my complete inability to do the Loop still.

Also I will be off the ice for another 10 days or so as I am taking my kids to compete in the Novice Championships (British) and then taking a few days holiday. Might not bother to go in the week after either as it is school holidays so ice will be packed. Then I have to start some serious training for the Adult Open competition in June

singerskates
04-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Wizard:

not getting tired from a two hour nonstop guest skate.
waltz
toe loop
salchow
footwork (FS)
entery into toe loop from alternating backcrosscuts (FS)
COE sprial RFO to RFI
half flip/waltz/toe combo (interpretive)
speed (interpretive)

Woeful:
loop (doesn't rock onto toe pick for take off and arms not working the jump resulting into under rotation and step out)
spins( not enough revs today, center was way off, didn't try any sit spins)
footwork (interpretive, not heading in the right direction messing up the ice coverage- diagonal corner to corner)
Speed (FS, after waltz jump loose speed having to stop due to other skaters in way which causes me to finish my FS late.)

Overall, had fun anyway. Here's hoping the Woeful goes away and becomes Wizard by Saturday when I compete.

Brigitte

Elsy2
04-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Wizard:

Can still do my elements even though I'm limited to skating once a week lately. Was practicing adult bronze moves with a friend who has to test them in May....Wizard that I don't have to test ;)

Woeful:

Last ten minutes of the session.....fell out of a camel spin onto my elbow 8O Elbow is a lovely shade of many colors, and I can't touch it still without yelping. Woke up with a stiff neck as well. I hate those falls that catch you totally by surprise. I actually thought it was a good camel spin at first...

Wizard again: Anxious to go to AN Thursday and meet up with friends. Can't wait to see many of the events!

1lutz2klutz
04-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Wizard:After finishing a rather mediocre run-through of my program, one of the other coaches who I hadn't seen for a bit skated over to my coach and me and said, "Boy, you've really improved in the past month or so!" Completely made my day, week,month!!! And this was coming from coach who is a two time past Olympian and Worlds competetor in pairs! :D :D :D

Mrs Redboots
04-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Isn't it lovely when that happens!

Wizard: Good skate day today; did one pathetic and then one excellent run-through of my Artistic programme, realising that the competition is <3 weeks away, and that I hadn't adapted the new choreography to the longer version, which was why it was pathetic! Oops. Then excellent run-through of my free dance, which the coach was pleased with. He says it just needs "tightening and tidying".

Worked on stroking, trying to get on to the "sweet spot" on my blade, which I can do in figures, but find it hard to do with my free leg extended. So we worked on that. Also did forward cross-rolls and some back edges - isn't it amazing what a difference a wee bit of turn-out makes! Hmmm....

In my practice worked on various turns, and did a solo Dutch Waltz since that music was playing, focussing on extension and turn-out - it's awful how often I simply can't stay extended/turned out for the full value of the music. :(

Woeful: What I just said about my extensions! Also my spiral, which my coach says is still not quite high enough. I have been told to practice that, and to stretch at home as often as I can. Again, turn-out seems to be the key.

When I came out of the ice-rink, it was into a hail storm! :( We very definitely have April weather today, and it is cold, and I can't access my e-mail at the moment. Deep sigh!

garyc254
04-09-2003, 08:14 AM
I haven't posted here in a couple of weeks, so will catch up.

I've been working hard on trying to get my Gamma and Delta elements consistent. HA. Okay, semi-consistent.

Monday evening, I grabbed a quick 15 minute private lesson with my old coach. It all comes down to one thing: my posture has gone into a blackhole. I knew it, but really couldn't admit it. Shoulders, hips, torso, butt, everything is so out of alignment that I'm surprised I can stay balanced at all. So now the hard part is getting back to my center.

I "officially" attempted a lunge last night during group lessons. Am I getting to old to do this stuff? :lol: Okay, I need to stretch a couple of muscles (like about 947 of them). Doing the lunge, my butt sticks out, my back is at a 45 degree tilt forward, and I can barely get the side of my blade on the ice and no where near getting my boot to touch. I think a lot of off ice stretching might make it easier.

KIDS: DON'T GET OLD. IT HURTS. :lol: :lol: Peter Pan was right.

During one of the group lessons we had a substitute coach. Since the class is a mix of adults who are Alpha, Beta, and Gamma levels, I went with a couple of the students and we worked on mohawks. My FI mohawk is pretty good, so it was fun explaining the fundamentals to them. Of course I'm not a pro and had to prove it by catching the tail of my blade in my pants seam and falling. At least it was the gentlest fall I've ever taken.

Taking a few days off to go to Chicago and watch the ISI Synchro Nationals. Should be fun to watch hundreds of skaters that are all better than me. ;) :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Definitely a mixed bag today!

Woeful: Our swing rolls in waltz hold with Robert going backwards and me going forwards! Too ghastly, and he was blaming me, and I was blaming him and..... And our runs round the circle weren't too clever, either, not as good as sometimes. Mind you, when I got on the ice I said to Robert (who hadn't stopped, as I had, to chat), "Have you dropped something?" as he was doing turns with his head down, looking at the ice (must have been horribly off-balance).

Wizard: However, the rest of our practice wasn't too bad at all. Our chasses were fine and fast, in both directions, and our swing rolls with me going backwards were so fast that we reached the end of the rink before I knew it! We walked through the Swing Dance and the Fiesta Tango, not too bad at all, especially when I remember that it is a RBI edge I want to be on, not a RBO one! And when Robert remembers how to do the change of edge properly! But we managed.

Then he had to go to work, and I stayed on for another 90 minutes and did some good stuff with both my Artistic programme and my free dance. Didn't use the music for either, but worked on the bits of both programmes that I still find challenging. And then it turned into one of those glorious sessions, only the third ever, when I could skate backwards! Normally I struggle a bit, but very occasionally, once in a very blue moon, everything comes together and I can do it! And today was the third time. The snag is, I know that even if I went down to the teatime patch today, it probably wouldn't be reproducible. But I live in hope..... maybe this time it's for keeps. Maybe....

wa_skater
04-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Wizard
Had two great lessons this week (we won't mention the practices ;) ). Still working on choreographing my first competition program (pre-bronze level). The choreography is going really well. My waltz jump / toe loop / ballet jump sequence is starting to look and feel more confident. And I have some nice footwork and artistic moves.

Woeful
Started working on the inside spread eagle for the first time today. Not bad considering it was my first time, but I would like more turnout and a larger and stronger arc on this move. I still don't have the last 30-40 seconds of choreography! I need to push my coach on this. Exactly four weeks until the competition!

~Anna

sk8ing is lyfe
04-11-2003, 07:11 PM
one word...

WOEFUL!!!!!!!

mikawendy
04-12-2003, 06:31 PM
WIZARD--
I was the only one in my group lesson today, so I got a private lesson with the substitute teacher. She's a good teacher and usually gives private lessons instead of group lessons. (Then we discovered our birthdays are 2 days apart in August and I found out that she knows flo, too).

I got to work on the waltz jump today! It was so exciting!!! I'm really glad I had a chance to have so much individual attention during the lesson, and she broke the steps down well.

Then when I was standing there listening to her explain something, I nearly fell down! :D That cracked us up because I wasn't doing anything but standing there, and next thing I know she's catching me because I stumbled while standing still!!

NOT SO WIZARD--
Also worked on moving 3 turns (FO and FI). I'm having a tough time not panicking and making my body (instead of my blade and the knee action) do the three turn. She showed me the exercise that someone here has explained before--to go on a very deep edge and eventually the three turn has to happen and it's so clean. That worked a few times, so I need to practice that.