View Full Version : Cyst on ankle bone?

Elsy2
03-31-2003, 11:48 AM
I've developed what seems to be a fluid filled cyst right on the side of my inside ankle bone. I suspect tight lacing and the tongue of my boot breaking down are culprits. Any of you had experience with this? It's about almond sized and isn't really painful. I wore double bunga sleeves Saturday while skating, and didn't have any discomfort. If I massage it I can seem to press the fluid out and make it flat, but it comes right back.

flo
03-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Yes, I developed one because one of the hooks was over my bone. I have since had custom boots made with asymetrical quarters. You can also tape it before you skate to keep the fluid from collecting while it's in the boot. Then go see a doctor.

Chico
03-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Elsy,

I get this problem over my old injury at times. Massage and sleeping with your ankle up will help. It won't go away over night and will take care on your part to do so. I agree, see a doctor for advice.

Chico

sk8ndancr
04-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Flo, What do asymmetrical quarters do? I have seen that option when ordering boots, but didn't ever hear of anyone having them. Do they benefit everyone, or only skaters with certain problems?

Madame Saccoche
04-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Ended up getting it surgically removed. no big deal.

flo
04-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi,
The quarters are rotated to give you more of the boot to cover your ankle bone. My ankle bones are not symmetrical, and the inside bone was right under a lacing eye. With the shifted quarters, the boot is now in the proper place to offer the needed padding, protection and support.
Hope it helps!