View Full Version : Skating a clean program

Ice T
03-30-2003, 03:15 PM
One of my biggest challenges is skating a clean program. It seems like there is always one missed jump, or a bobble on a spin, if not a complete disaster all together. I practice very very hard, but I don't consistently have clean run throughs.

What do you speficially do in practice to accomplish skating consistently clean programs?

skaternum
03-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Question: are these elements that you can do securely in isolation? If so, either you haven't incorporated the program into your muscle memory and you just need to keep practicing them in your program. Or, it could just be mental. For that you could use techniques like visualizing in your head a clean program. Try some positive affirmations about doing a clean program.

If the elements are not secure in isolation, maybe your programs are too hard. Some coaches like to pack too many new or difficult things into a program. I'm never comfortable with more than one "risky" element in a program.

Most of all, keep practicing!

sk8ing is lyfe
03-30-2003, 08:06 PM
my philosophy(sp) is that if i ever have a clean program... then its too easy... mayb thats just me... i like challenges!!!

tidesong
03-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Yup, if you aren't at the highest level yet, chances are you will always be working on some new jump or spin that you want to include in your program to push yourself. But it should be limited to one or two elements I feel.

Some other thing not mentioned yet: it could be a problem of stamina which can affect your concentration and the ability to do elements well. If its stamina, you probably need off ice to help as well. (do the elements later in the program suffer more than those earlier?)

And also maybe you are doing things slightly differently in the program because of the choreography and you are just not used to it yet. You have to mark out where you need to breathe sometimes to help yourself remember the timing for a jump or spin.

Ice T
03-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Sorry guys, but you ain't hittin' it yet.
Stamina, not a problem. 3 hours of off-ice training per week.
Elements, not a problem. Own everything from a waltz to a lutz, along with advanced spins and combo spins.
Choreography, not a problem. Had this program 11 months.

Yes, it is a packed program, but I can do it all. But I typically have mistakes. It's an Adult Silver program with 5 jump passes and three spins, and a lot of connecting stuff. There isn't anything in the program that I cannot do. The new stuff I'm working on will be put in the program once it is learned.

If I can't get the program run thrus clean in practice, I'll never get them clean in competition!

So.......my question is.....what do YOU personally do to help you skate a clean program?

i.e.,
1. skate ## of run throughs per day
2. break it down into sections
3. never skate a clean program
4. give it up, only Michelle Kwan can do it

tidesong
03-30-2003, 08:57 PM
hmmm ok... I have done perfect run throughs of my programs up to the latest one because I had a flying camel which I just learnt and a double sal that I had not landed yet. And my axel nicely disappeared that whole time.

How in the world do I get perfect runthroughs? I really don't know

I did both 1 and 2.

1. skate 2-3 of run throughs per day
2. break it down into sections

Edited: Can you video yourself to see what made you do the mistakes in the run through?

Ice T
03-30-2003, 09:10 PM
It's a variety of things that happen. Sometimes it's popping a flip jump, or a sloppy layback, or not enough rotations in the camel before dropping into the sit, rushing the entrance on the loop, or not going for the Lutz. Sometimes it's just the traffic you have to steer through that throws you off.

I watch the kids practice and they never seem to skate a clean program either. I have done it, but it's a rare thing.

Is a clean program an impossible goal? In his autobiography, Scott Hamilton talked about skating clean run thrus in practice over and over before his Olympics.

So how do you do it?

tidesong
03-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Well i must say that it is not impossible.

One thing is maybe you have to tell yourself to just go for it... why do you pop a jump? It is possible to land singles with less than perfect take offs, may feel awful and sloppy but at least the jump is there...

Other thing you mentioned... the traffic... I think that is a big problem for me. I usually don't expect perfect run throughs if i am aborting elements to avoid hitting somebody.

Well, just some more thoughts... any other opinions?

BTW I don't get perfect run throughs all the time either... I think once I start hitting above 50 % usually first program of the day with all the elements I am satisfied.

Elsy2
03-30-2003, 09:46 PM
I have seen my daughter go into competition with very few clean practice run throughs, and then pulling it together when it counted and having a clean program. I've done the same. Last competition I had not had a clean run-through for weeks, and went out and did it. Same thing with my last test where I need that darn backspin and had just had my blade moved the day before the test. Went out and did the clean program.

But I don't know specifically what it is that allows us to go out and do our best....I have to think it's something within that takes over combined with some luck and the positive attitude and confidence that makes it all happen. This is probably why visualizing the clean program is so beneficial for many.

So when I hear you say that you won't be able to do a clean program in competiton without clean practices...I say no, that's not necessarily so.
It's possible to rise to the challenge even if you don't expect it. You have to believe that you can though....

skaternum
03-31-2003, 09:22 AM
When I first start working on a program, I don't necessarily have clean run throughs. But as I approach competition time, I find that I usually skate clean run throughs. I think it's just a matter of practicing it enough that I become comfortable with it.

I would not count on being able to "pull it out" at a competition and skate above what you've been doing in practice. For most people, it's the exact opposite, so I wouldn't count on it. Of course, you may be that one in a million. :)

The traffic on ice does have a lot to do with it, but it sounds like a concentration problem to me.

I wish I could give you some fabulous words of wisdom, but I don't. I think you need to work on the concentration and focus and just keep practicing!

dbny
03-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Like Elsy2's daughter, my daughter skated clean programs in tests and competition. Her coach always had her do two run through's in sequence to build up her stamina. Other than that, I can only think that it had to do with her perspective on tests and comps. She loved having the ice to herself. First, she didn't have to worry about anyone interrupting her, and second, she loved being watched. I think that had as much to do with it as practice.

vesperholly
03-31-2003, 11:00 AM
My program is 2min long. I broke it down into three sections and practiced those separately leading up to my last competition. Every time I tried it all together, I got so exhausted after section two (about 1:15 in) that I couldn't complete the program. When I got to the competition, the only thing I missed was I didn't do the loop in my flip-loop combination because the flip landing was too shaky. But I considered that a good program and I was pleased with it.

I have skated clean programs in practice, competitions, and tests - just not all the time. Just because I didn't skate a program clean doesn't mean that it wasn't worthwhile to my skating and practices. You need to be able to learn from your mistakes. What does your coach think?

What helps me are to set goals. What do I want to accomplish? When do I want to skate this program clean? A goal of "skating clean all the time" is unrealistic at best, ridiculous at worst. If you are looking for perfect run-throughs in practice every time, I think that's silly. Practice is just that - practice. It doesn't really count.

Jocelyn

Elsy2
03-31-2003, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by skaternum
[B]I would not count on being able to "pull it out" at a competition and skate above what you've been doing in practice. For most people, it's the exact opposite, so I wouldn't count on it. Of course, you may be that one in a million. :)

:lol: Yeah I'm one in a million all right.....wait until my coach reads this thread! I have shocked her a few times though....

I do think one of the most beneficial things I do is back to back program run-throughs. This just about kills me, but it's worth it.