View Full Version : What level/jumps is everyone working on?

Dustin
03-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Just for skaters to get to know each other better ;)

I am in Intermediate working on 2 axel (almost consistent), 3 sal (better than my axel for some reason), 3 lutz (1/2 cheated and I usually fall :().

How is everyone else's skating going?

Canskater
03-18-2002, 03:29 PM
I'm a skater of the adult persuasion, though I used to skate competitively as a kid. At my advanced age (40+), there's not a lot of muscle memory left. The only jump I could do when I returned to skating two years ago was a wimpy waltz jump. I can now successfully accomplish waltz, walley, sal, and lutz, but still have no loop, flip or axel. However, it is such fun .....

Canskater

skaterchristina
03-18-2002, 04:55 PM
I used to do all the doubles but I've been trying to build back from a knee injury... so I'm working on wimpy axels, double sals and toes... I've tried a few dbl loops and flips but they're not pretty....

When I say wimpy I don't mean that people doing those jumps are wimpy I mean my jumps are really wimpy right now, sooooooo tiny and just horrible over all... pretty embarassing to watch on the video at the rink and a goodday is now when I have managed to stand up on one axel or close to that!

Oh well c'est la vie... I'm working on it!

icetiff
03-18-2002, 07:32 PM
[Yay their is a skating forum!!!

icetiff
03-18-2002, 07:33 PM
I'm a soon to be senior ladies and senior pairs. I can do all the way up to triple lutz in singles, triple loop is like half turn cheat and triple lutz can be clean or quarter depends on the day but my strength is in pairs I can do throw triple sal and throw triple loop with every thing that goes along with pairs. I'm glad that there is a new forum for skaters now!!! :wink:

SandraD
03-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Well, icetiff, I saw you skate at US Nationals and was most impressed. :)

I started skating at age 58. Yes, 58. That's not a typo. On FSW, I was vice president of the Head Banger/Klutz Club. WE lost our ice; therefore, I haven't skated lately but love wearing the New Orleans Figure Skating Clubs official warm-up outfit.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's adventures.

Sandra

(Who has love white boots that are un-scuffed and shiny silver blades because she never falls. ;)

Dustin
03-18-2002, 08:29 PM
icetiff - what did you compete in at Nationals? :?: :o

Spinner
03-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Dustin,

Yup, icetiff placed 3rd in junior pairs at the 2002 US nationals! They recently placed 6th at Junior worlds, highest place of the US teams! She and partner Larry are quite good and always enjoyable to watch.

Tiffany, we look forward to many more years of enjoying your skating and I'll get to see it live in person again at the 2005 nationals in Portland (Adrian and I have tix together). If I can I'm going to '04 Nat's in Atlanta too. Are you coming to the Indy Challenge again this year? I'll definitely stop by and give my support if you and Larry compete.

Have a great '02-'03 season!
Spinner

Dustin
03-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Wow, that is great icetiff! Maybe I will see you at Nationals next year ;)

Aaron W
03-19-2002, 05:01 PM
I don't have a particular level as I haven't taken any type of USFSA/ISI tests, but I'll probably start in with those sometime this year.

Currently, I'm doing the waltz, toe loop, salchow, loop, and flip. Also doing the half lutz and should have the lutz down within the next month. The loop hasn't been going very well though. Some days I can do it without any problems, other days I can't even do one. Toe loop is pretty easy and flip is getting easier. Salchow comes and goes, but I like the feeling of the jump a lot (when it's going well, lol). My waltz jump is pretty big so I'm hoping to get started on the axel soon, but I'd like to get the other jumps a little more consistent before doing so.

I haven't been to the rink in over a week, so I'm itching to get back on the ice. I've been studying for final exams, but will be back on the ice this Thursday afternoon!!! (my last final is Thursday morning, 9:30-11:18am). :)

Schmeck
03-19-2002, 06:07 PM
First of all:

Thank you Adrian for this forum! I haven't been to Rinkside over at FSW for so long, and it's great to connect with other skaters again.

I'm a beginner skater - I've been taking group lessons (with a few private ones here and there) for about 4 years, 8 months out of the year. I've finally gotten out of USFSA Basic Skills, and now I'm on Freestyle 1, yippee!

I can only do a tentative waltz jump (way below wimpy on the jump scale :wink: ) but I love my half-flip, which I tend to try to turn into a split jump.

I did a major wipeout on a bunnyhop last Sunday, which pays my yearly dues as the President of the Headbangers/Klutz Club.

blue111moon
03-20-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm 48, been skating for 20 years (yup, started as an adult - pond skating as a kid didn't teach me much beyond standing up), and have plateaued at Silver. I passed Pre moves last month, which was a major accomplishment for me because I hate moves. I liked Figures better even if I wasn't really good at them.

For jumps, I'm an edge jumper: I have the singles down pat and have been working on an axel for more than a decade. It's getting close now. Of the toe jumps I like the toe loop best. My flip comes and goes. I used to have a lutz but ankle injuries wiped it out and reclamation has been slow.

I'm now tackling ISI for the first time in 16 years, in the hopes of attending ISI Worlds this summer. I'm currently FS3, thanks to the footwork sequences. I can do them - I just can't remember what they are while I'm doing them. :)

flippet
03-20-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm another adult skater, at ISI FS3 right now. I haven't taken lessons for a couple of months and haven't really been able to practice like I've wanted to either--there's a rink with a nearly empty noon skate 5 minutes from my new job, but A) I'm often busy, and B) it's hard to practice hard when you're wearing slacks and don't have time to change, and need to be presentable for the afternoon! :(

So---I have jumps through toe and sal, and I was working on the loop and flip 4 months ago, with good progress, but that's all gone now. Spins are what's really holding me back, however. Since I can't practice very hard now, I usually end up working on spins, so perhaps this will be good in the long run. I had some REALLY good scratch spins last weekend, just fooling around, so maybe progress has been made! I can't wait to get back into lessons, though---I really miss jumping well. :( Footwork is a whole 'nuther story, sadly----maybe I can split my practice time between footwork and spins, and improve where it's desperately needed!

Thanks for the forum, Adrian! My only dilemma is....what do we call ourselves? Wait, I know----[color=blue:9fa482f3a6]Adrian's Icers![/color:9fa482f3a6] :D :twisted: 8)

lisabelle
03-22-2002, 03:43 PM
i've been skating for about 8ish months and have all jumps consistent up to flip and ALMOST a lutz. i just started working on an axel. my lutz is pretty good, but it's just not consistent yet. the flip is my best jump and it's my favorite.

i'm definitely a jumper, i have a scratch and a sit spin and i'm working on the backspin and the camel.

i've not actually tested anything yet b/c i can't go to morning test sessions (parents working, etc) but i'm working on prelim moves and a prelim free program.

oh and i'm 16.

Clay
03-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Axle jump

Problem is I can only go skating every 2-3 weeks..and not much now because of school. I just recently started skating.
Clay

1lutz2klutz
03-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Another adult skater checking in- started skating at 38. ALL my jumps are wimpy, but identifiable. I have singles up to a lutz, and combos up to lutz-loop. Hope to get an axel before the next ice age...... :roll:

Duckie
03-31-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm in junior. I don't think that I will really be skating that much though anymore because I am going away to university and in order to really excell there I'll have to cut down on my training. :(

melanieuk
04-01-2002, 08:00 AM
[color=blue:e9d180643c]I'm 33 and working on :
* backspins - the nemesis :roll:
* axel - had it, lost it, several times! :?
* Inter Bronze Field moves test (or level 3)
* Inter Bronze Elements test
* Prelim & Interbronze Free tests (Levels 2 & 3), all NISA, UK tests

[/color:e9d180643c]

RoaringSkates
04-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Compared to all you guys, I'm working on small stuff..but it's so hard for me! I'm working on my waltz jump and a salchow. I occasionally work on a baby toe jump.

Figureskates
04-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Another adult, male, 56 years old.....

My jumps and the scores

1) Waltz jump....4.3

2) Half Flip...1.2

3) Salchow...0.9

Slow but steady...I will get there!!

SandraD
04-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Oh Joy!! :) I think I am going to have the change to skate April 13th in Baton Rouge. Jenny87 and a friend of hers plan to accompany me.

As for level of skating, it's been so long that I suspect I am on the Zamboni level. UGH

Status of proposed new rink here in NO: Tied up in politics....still! (Think "they" want money under the table. Hummmm does this remind anyone of ice dance?)

Sandra (who is slapping her face for that last remark.)

SandraD
04-04-2002, 01:48 PM
FORGOT SOMETHING.

Schmeck, do we still have the Headbangers/Klutz Club?

Sandra[/b]

Schmeck
04-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Sandra, of course we still have the HB/KC - just paid my yearly dues with that killer wipeout I had a few weeks ago :wink: You still want to be my VP, right? :D

Schmeck, proud founder and president of the HB/KC

PS - I'm so happy for you that you've been able to get someone and some time for skating again! Jenny87 sounds like a wonderful young lady!

PPS - don't forget to dust off your beautiful, white, never been scuffed ice skates, ok? :wink:

SandraD
04-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Schmeck......and they have shiny silver blades! :wink:

Why certainly I want to continue to be your Vice President! You have absolutely, without a doubt, earned the title of President! :lol:

Sandra

Lee
04-04-2002, 09:26 PM
[quote:151637be7a="SandraD"]Schmeck......and they have shiny silver blades! :wink:
[/quote:151637be7a]

Still waiting for Sandra to get her first right-through-the-finish-on-the-leather scuff...;)

SandraD
04-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Lee, Bite your tongue!!!!!!! Heaven forbid if my boots get even one scratch. Actually, it's the body that suffers when I skate. :oops:

Sandra[/b]

IceAngel725
04-06-2002, 09:47 AM
I hope to take the pre preliminary tests sometime next year.... So far I can do waltz jumps, salchows, toe loops, half flips and half lutzes (kinda!) My spins are finally getting better! I can do a somewhat decent scratch spin and an okay sit spin at times. I need to really go back and work on some basic skills... like the pretty much non-existent left inside 3!

Schmeck
04-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Iceangel, my LI3 is also nonexistant - it took me forever to get it to pass basic 7 (or whatever level it was on) and now I've lost it, sigh!

kar5162
05-25-2002, 10:02 PM
I'm Preliminary free and working on Juvenile moves. I land through lutz consistently and am gaining consistency on my cheated axel, 2salchow, and 2loop.

Kim

Yazmeen
05-26-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm 44, skating for 3 years, currently ISI level Freestyle 2:

Jumps in order of "greatness" (har, har):

Half Toe Walley
Waltz Jump
Half Flip

I started on Toe Loop and Salchow earlier this year, but haven't really practiced them for the past month due to competition. They were coming, slowly but surely.

Iceangel and Schmeck: Put me down as another member of the "nearly non-existent LFI3 club" In fact, I think I qualify for at least the Vice Presidency since mine can be so piggin' awful at times.

Its so good to be here!!!

Beth

melanieuk
05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm reviewing what I'm working on! :roll:

I'm still working on the tests, and flip-toe loop and backspin.

I stopped working on the axel, but want to get back to it. 8O

I've started working on change foot spins; parallel/sit and combinations of both. :roll:

Anita18
05-26-2002, 10:37 PM
Hi! I'm new!

I'm 18, and I've been skating for a little over 2 years. I've never tested, but I suppose I'm at the ISI FS3 level....

I landed my first flip(s) this week! Yay! My loop is getting more consistent, but I need to check out of it more nicely....

My spins suck. :cry: Scratch spin is either really good or really bad, depending on how my entrance is. Backspin comes and goes, and sit spin is nonexistent, since I can't find the balance point....I'll be working on those once I recover from this annoying cold!

Anita

jenlyon60
05-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Adult skater, 40 something. Working on the last of my Pre-Silvers (yep, the infamous Eeeeeuuuuropean Waltz) and Tango/American Waltz from Silver Dance.

Also working Adult Pre-Bronze MITF for the future.

emyh
05-27-2002, 11:19 AM
I've been skating for about a year now. I'm in ISI FS5, working on axel, double toe and double salchow. My skating has been tempoarily postponed because my boots are completely broken down :x and need new boots.

lisabelle
05-27-2002, 12:34 PM
i'll answer again for an update now.

i've been skating for almost a year, working on axel, 2toe and 2sal (but right now can't land much b/c of new boots) and on change foot combo spins. also working on prelim moves to test hopefully this summer.

jazzpants
05-27-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm mid-30's adult skater chronologically and biologicially. Kid skater at heart!!! :P

I've passed Adult Pre-Bronze FS and pre-prelim Moves. Am working on Adult Bronze Moves and FS tests now. The ultimate high for me is when I eventually make it to Adults Nationals to compete! (Don't need the medal...just want to make a respectable showing!) :)

Cheers,
Joanna

Chico
05-27-2002, 11:56 PM
I'm an adult skater who just had her third birthday skating. I'm working on getting a consistent axel. I'm also attempting my double sal. (I did rotate two loops in the harness recently.) I have all the singles, with my loop being my best jump. I'm working on juev. moves. I'm working extra hard at my double three's at the moment. My hardest spin is probably the attitude or back sit. My nemesis is the backspin.

Chico

Scate-Cat
05-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi !
I`m 28 and I`m skating for 1 and a half year. I`m still working on the basics, one-foot spin and waltz-jumps but I really love it.

Katja.

spicyicey
05-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Hi! I'm 14 and working on double-double combinations and getting my double lutz consistent. I'm in Juvenile freestyle and I'm working on Junior moves which I will hopefully test this summer. 8)

Dustin
05-28-2002, 01:44 PM
[quote:44de8137a9="spicyicey"]I'm working on Junior moves which I will hopefully test this summer. 8)[/quote:44de8137a9]

8O 8O Wow! Juvenile and Junior - I wish I could say I was working on Junior.

db
05-28-2002, 02:00 PM
I'm 55 and have been skating for about 2 years. I don't jump (arthritis) and just started spinning. I love moves and they are all over the place. I was ready to test pre-pre moves last summer at Lake Placid, but broke my wrist instead and still haven't got that :evil: waltz-8 back again. However, I have pretty nice forward cross strokes, beginning back cross strokes, fairly clean forward and back power crossovers, BO threes, and beginning BI threes. Fear is the main thing holding me back, especially after the wrist thing, but I can't quit because my weight will definitely balloon up again :wink:

Smiley
05-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone!!
I am a senior lady I competed junior ladies last season!
I can do all my triples cleanly and I'm working on triple axels and tirple\triple combos!! :D

Mrs Redboots
05-29-2002, 07:38 AM
[quote:395b10cca3="Smiley"]
I can do all my triples cleanly and I'm working on triple axels and tirple\triple combos!! :D[/quote:395b10cca3]I thought at first, "envy, envy", but, thinking about it, I don't think I [i:395b10cca3]do[/i:395b10cca3] envy you, especially. I am within spitting distance of 49, and the only jumps I do are a tiny 3-jump (waltz jump) and a rather cheated cherry flip (toe loop). I did learn the Salchow, but it never worked properly. I think, like DB, I prefer moves. But ice dance is my great love, of course.

Isabelle
05-29-2002, 12:11 PM
[deleted]

sk8tn
06-02-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm an adult skater, 35. I am trying to overcome testing nerves and pass Adult Gold this summer. I also have one pre-silver dance (fourteenstep).

I have all of the single jumps and am working on double salchow and toe loop (randomly landing them only occasionally - more often two feet or two cheeks).

I'm just amazed that I'm learning things in my 30s that would have terrified me in my teens.

BringontheRain
06-02-2002, 12:51 PM
I am in Intermediate Free, I have 2sal, 2loop, 2flip and 2lutz consistant along with 2loop2loop and 2lutz2loop. I am working on 2toe, 2flip2toe and wanting to start double axels. I am on Junior Moves.

LoopLoop
06-03-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm an adult skater (34). I'm working on the axel (usually land on one foot but cheated) and just started double loop and double sal last week.

Mel On Ice
06-03-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm an adult skater too, 32, been skating now for almost 4 years. I can't believe it's been that long and still it feels like I've been skating forever. I do have a long, ugly stretch of about 9 months of no skating shoe horned in the middle of that since I moved from Michigan to Missouri.

Technically, I have everything in the ISI FS 2 and FS 3 but those blasted spins, and some things in FS 4. I can land the toe and sal consistently, the loop and flip inconsistently, and have not even tried the lutz and axel.

The funny thing about my attempts at the loop and flip is I land them best when I'm not thinking about it, but I have to think about it because they are not quite there yet. Oh, the irony.

Sk8Kate
06-03-2002, 10:52 AM
I'm a Senior with 3sal, 3toe, and 3loop consistent. 3Flip and 3lutz have their moments. On a good day, I can sometimes crank out a 3sal/3loop too. I like jumping, but I'm becoming more and more of a spinner. The style aspect hasn't come easily to me, but it's another area I'm learning to appreciate.

Debbie S
06-03-2002, 12:21 PM
I'm 30 (and it's taken me 7 months to say that!) and I started skating last September. Right now, I'm in Basic 8 (USFSA sequence) and I'm working on a waltz jump and a 1-foot spin out of crossovers (as opposed to standing in place and whirling myself around like we did in Basic 5). It's hard to get the technique down - originally, my problem was that I brought my right arm (I spin CCW) around and that threw me off balance. I have to work on leading w/my left arm when I go into a spin. My waltz jump is coming along fine, except that I think I tend to land on the inside edge rather than outside. I'm also working on re-acquiring my mohawk turns, which seem to have disappeared as soon as I passed Basic 7. :)

On a positve note, I have successfully re-acquired my inside 3-turns and actually did them moving along a circle in my practice on Saturday. :)

icetiff - I saw you skate at Nats this year and thought you and Larry did a fantastic job. You two definitely have a lot of potential and I'm glad to hear you'll be skating seniors next season. Hopefully, I'll get to see you guys on the TV broadcast (short and/or long), since I won't be at Nats next year - going to Worlds instead.