View Full Version : first competition

sk8clean
03-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I am going to compete in my first competition next month. I was wondering what you do to try and stay calm? I take my private lessons during the day during public skate when the rink is usually empty. Yesterday was an exception so I had to rush out on to the ice first thing (before the school group got their skates on) to practice my program once. Lets just say with no warm up except stretching off ice and feeling stressed I skated a less than perfect program. I have now discovered what I don't want to do in competition and I am trying to think of ways to try and calm my nerves on the big day.

sk8er1964
03-27-2003, 03:02 PM
It sounds like you already have a pre-skating routine, which I think is very important. Make sure that you get down to the changing area soon enough so that you can do your pre-skate routine completely and without interruption. It will make everything seem more normal and familiar to you - even if the circumstances are anything but normal.

Also, try to focus on your skating - not on how other people skate - not on the judges - not on the audience (by this I mean try not to worry about them). You cannot control how other people skate and you cannot control the judges. The only person you can control is yourself. So if you go out there with the goal of skating your best and having fun, then you should be just fine.

Good luck! :D

garyc254
03-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Good advice to do your pre-routine warm-up.

Spend some time chatting with friends in the warming room. No friends there? Make a couple of new friends. Most skaters are pretty friendly if you approach them.

If it's not in your home rink, go check out the facilities. Know where to get on and off the ice, where the bathrooms are, the concession stands, etc.

Talk to your coach, if available.

Have a soda (but not too much) and relax.

Run through your routine in your mind. Visualize every element.

Then, when your time comes, give it your best.

And most of all, have FUN. That's why we do this, isn't it? ;)

Elsy2
03-27-2003, 04:10 PM
It can be very tough to have a 5 min. warm up and then do your program. For a week or two prior to competition, I like to go out and warm up for 5 minutes and do the program right away. This gets me used to it, and also used to what I will do with only 5 minutes to go through the elements. I also do two run-throughs back to back to build endurance. That way, when all that adreneline is flowing, I don't wear out halfway through (hopefully!).

As for other info that may help you. Make sure you arrive no less than an hour before your scheduled event. That gives you time to check the event postings and see your skate order, check to see if events are running on time, and get settled. A nice long off ice warm up is in order with stretching and breathing and whatever else you like to do. Sometimes I walk briskly around the outside of the facility if it's nice, then do stretches. I am usually a basket case, and will do lots of jumping jacks. While waiting to get on I do the same as well as some knee bends, anything to keep warm. Check in with the monitor at rinkside as early as 30 minutes before your event. I usually put skates on about 15 minutes prior to the event. Any earlier, and they hurt too much!

Most coaches will tell skaters not to watch the others, but I MUST watch. It doesn't intimidate me, but tends to motivate me more. To each their own on this.

After your event, check the posted event board frequently to see your results. If you want pictures on the podium, be prepared to be there when awards are presented. Many times this is done at the next ice make, but each competition can be different. It doesn't matter what your placement, you can be in the group picture with the others.

If you want a video of your first event (go for it!) take a blank tape with you with your name on it. Turn it in and fill out the order form prior to your event, and don't forget to pick it up later. Then enjoy!

Pack extra laces and tights and bring a water bottle.

If you arrive the night before....go to the arena and register then and turn in your music. Then you will be all set for the next day.

You will have a wonderful time. The first competition is always special, and we will all be rooting for you!

OK fellow skaters....what did I forget?

dooobedooo
03-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Prepare as much as you can well in advance. Take care of the controllables! This includes all the practicalities ...

1. Costume - make sure you have a costume that makes you look and feel good and that you can skate in - have a practice in it a few days before the competition. Make sure you have a spare pair of tights, a nice warm-up jacket and that your boots are clean with clean laces. If you are going to put your hair up or wear make-up, try this out a few days before.

2. Music - make sure you have two copies of your music, preferably on different media (in case for example the tape machine doesn't like your tape!)

3. Location - make sure you know the route to and location of the rink and prepare your route with care allowing plenty of time for contingencies, rush hour traffic, car parking etc. You will probably need to arrive one hour before your compeitition time, to allow half hour to warm up and dress, plus an extra half hour as they usually want you ready to skate half an hour before the actual time.

4. Food and Water - take a big bottle of water. Plan what food you will need and how you will get it. Generally it is best to take your own food if you don't know the area. You should include some high carbohydrate food - the kind you normally eat.

5. Packing - make a checklist and pack the night before, so you don't forget anything.

6. Warm up routine, bows and curtsies - get your coach to show you a warm-up routine and how to get on and off the ice for your program, and go through the formalities of the competition. do this ideally a couple of weeks in advance.

7. Half an hour or so before you go on the ice, take five minutes or so to quietly visualise your routine, successfully and clean, and including arriving on the ice and bowing afterwards.

Months of preparation and a couple of minutes to skate!!

So be prepared and really enjoy your skating - it will show, and the judges will then enjoy it too.

:D :D :D

Mrs Redboots
03-28-2003, 02:05 AM
As you will have a spare copy of your music, take your Walkman with you and listen to it right through a couple of times, visualising the steps.

Make sure you warm up very thoroughly off-ice; if you are in a cold rink, take a rug as well as a fleece, and bundle yourself up once you have warmed up.

One friend, going for her first competition, asked her coach to write out a checklist for her of everything she should do - this helped her keep straight.

If you start to feel nervous, great. You need to make the nerves work for you, though, not against you. Learn to control your breathing - sit quietly on a bench or chair, feet (skates) on the floor, hands resting in your lap. Now breathe in slowly and take that breath right down into you. Hold, then breathe out slowly. Once you get your breathing calm, you'll feel calm. You can visualise, too, if you like, all the nerves and butterflies being breathed out, and positive energy being breathed in.... but really, it's controlling your breathing that will help to control your nerves and get just that much adrenalin as you need to work for you, not against you.

When you go out on to the ice, focus on bending your knees - they will have a tendency to lock straight, with nerves. Consciously remember to keep them bent as much as you usually do.

And if you have a disaster - well, we've all been there and done that! Don't worry about it; there'll be another competition.

sk8clean
03-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your advice!

nutty-ducky
03-29-2003, 07:11 AM
GOOD LUCK AT YOUR COMPETITION! YOU WILL DO WELL! :D :D :D