View Full Version : A bit OT: TashaKat, need pirouette help!

backspin
06-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Or anyone else who was/is a dancer in a former life.

I can do pirouettes (sp?) not too badly on my left leg (which is my forward spin leg), but on the right, it feels like a backspin & I keep putting it onto the "outside edge", and falling out of it. In the particular exercise we were doing this week, I'm supposed to come out of the spin (she'd prefer a double, no less!), and plie down w/ both feet together & parallel. (& spin w/ the free foot held at the knee but not crossed, if that makes any difference)

This is for a jazz dance class I just started, so it's not like I'm en pointe or anything.

quarkiki2
06-14-2002, 05:11 PM
I assume you are turning CCW?

If you are, then try pushing BACK with your left shoulder instead of forward with your right. Collect your left leg as you get to it instead of bringing it into your right leg -- if you try to bring it into your leg, you're moving your leg in a conter-rotation to your turn.

Keep your shoulders level and remeber to "push down to go up" on your right leg -- this helps you to attain the releve position and to keep energy moving through your supporting leg without locking your knee.

Don't sink into your chest, tuck your bum and look over your left shoulder. Keep energy through your arms and keep your hips and shoulders in line.

Is that enough to think about?? 8O

backspin
06-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Heavens. 8O

flippet
06-17-2002, 01:15 PM
[quote:18fe832c64="quarkiki2"]

If you are, then try pushing BACK with your left shoulder instead of forward with your right[/quote:18fe832c64]

That's what I was going to mention---I'm no dancer, but I took a semester of ballet for fun last year. I can't piroutte to save my life, but I was watching another girl who had obviously had a few years of ballet under her belt. Her pirouettes were better one way than the other (not a leg prob, but directional), and I noticed that one way, she was pulling the shoulder back, the other way, she was trying to push the shoulder forward---slight and unconscious, but there nonetheless. Pulling back with the appropriate shoulder makes a difference.

Other than that, I have nuttin' to add! ;) Good luck! Jazz dance looks like such fun.