View Full Version : DC/VA etc. rink info for coco

mikawendy
03-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by coco
I was actually just coming here to ask about rinks in the DC/NoVA/Montgomery County, MD area. There's fairfax, of course ;), and Fort Dupont, but anyone else aware of others close to DC? I may be moving back there (and I didn't skate the first time I lived there) so I'm curious....you can pm me I guess, so we don't takeover the thread...

Hi, Coco--
I'm not PMing you because I think others who might read this will have more detailed info for you, but I think that the rinks in the area you are talking about are

(as you mentioned, Fort Dupont and Fairfax Ice Arena)
Ashburn Ice House
SkateQuest (one in Reston and one, I think in Dale City, VA)
and I think there's one in the Mount Vernon area?

I don't think that SkateQuest has a detailed web site. I thought I had Fairfax and Ashburn's sites bookmarked but couldn't find them.

In Maryland there are
The Gardens Ice House
Benfield Pines
Piney Orchard
Northwest Ice Rink (in Baltimore)
Mt. Pleasant Ice Rink (also in Baltimore)
and Ice World (30 minutes north of Baltimore on 95)

The DC area is also great for dance classes--there are good adult classes at
Joy of Motion (in DC)

Dance Place (in DC)

Feet First (in Bethesda)

Maryland Youth Ballet (in Bethesda in the same building as Feet First. The teachers at MYB are FABULOUS, and there's live piano accompaniment. Lucy Bowen's stretch class on Saturdays is also GREAT)

Russell School of Ballet (in Chantilly, VA)

Dance Place and Maryland Youth Ballet both offer group Pilates classes.

Good luck if you move to the DC area! (In the winter there's also outdoor skating)

skaternum
03-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Speaking of things in the DC area, where is the GK outlet?

jenlyon60
03-23-2003, 07:37 PM
As far as I know, it's in Reading PA which is about 2-3 hours drive from Reston/Ashburn area.

There's a Danskin outlet in Leesburg, though.

skaternum
03-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jennifer! I would swear someone told me there's a GK Outlet in the DC area. Oh, well. Time to have my hearing checked and take my ginkoba.

skaternum

coco
03-24-2003, 10:22 PM
wow - thanks so much, that was really sweet of you. Now... I just have to get that job ;)

Mazurka Girl
04-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Other rinks:

Mt Vernon Rec Center in Alexandria, VA
Cabin John Ice Rink in Rockville, MD - 2 rinks
Wheaton Ice Arena in Wheaton, MD (near Silver Spring)
Columbia Ice Rink in Columbia, MD
Bowie Ice Arena in Bowie, MD
ARC IceSports in Rockville, MD - 2 rinks
Patterson Park in Baltimore

Wells Ice Rink in College Park, MD - full size seasonal rink Oct - Apr, but not year round

There are also smaller outdoor seasonal rinks at the National Gallery (Sculpture Garden Park), Germantown (MD), Quiet Waters in Annapolis, & Rash Field at the Baltimore Inner Harbor.

mikawendy
04-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Mazurka Girl
Other rinks:

Mt Vernon Rec Center in Alexandria, VA
Cabin John Ice Rink in Rockville, MD - 2 rinks
Wheaton Ice Arena in Wheaton, MD (near Silver Spring)
Columbia Ice Rink in Columbia, MD
Bowie Ice Arena in Bowie, MD
ARC IceSports in Rockville, MD - 2 rinks
Patterson Park in Baltimore

Wells Ice Rink in College Park, MD - full size seasonal rink Oct - Apr, but not year round

There are also smaller outdoor seasonal rinks at the National Gallery (Sculpture Garden Park), Germantown (MD), Quiet Waters in Annapolis, & Rash Field at the Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Is the Patterson Park rink also seasonal? I've seen stuff on their web site and can't seem to tell.

thanks!

Mazurka Girl
04-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Patterson Park is a rink with a cover, so it probably is. But I've only been there a couple times before, & I don't know for sure. Wells Ice Rink is used for summer day camps & has a pool next to it & I know they are seasonal.