View Full Version : Moves and Free on the same day?

gardana
03-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Now, I don't skate through the USFSA or anything like that, it is strictly recreational for me:D , but I was wondering for taking the tests, do you usually take your moves and free test on the same day. Or do you take your moves test-pass that- and than for the next testing session take your free test?
I know you have to pass your moves test in order to take your free test

jazzpants
03-20-2003, 10:45 PM
We have a LOT of people who take their Moves and corresponding FS test on the same day... with the words "Conditional" right next to their names on the test list of skaters...

Lili
03-20-2003, 11:15 PM
I like getting the moves out of the way first. I've tested MIF and FS in the same day, and I hated sitting around waiting for the second part of the test (I get VERY nervous before I test). I like the feeling of only having to accomplish one thing at a time! :lol:

utopia
03-21-2003, 04:13 AM
my coach only let me take both on the same day if she knew for sure that I would pass my moves, so that basically means that at only at the lower levels she let me do that. I don't know if it's this way at all skating clubs, but my club did not refund you if you didn't get to skate your free test because you failed your moves. so that would be a lot of money lost if I failed my moves. ;)

dani
03-21-2003, 05:24 AM
A lot of our kids are a moves level ahead of their free level, so it is quite common at our club to see kids test both in the same day, but it will be Juv moves and pre-juv free. I have seen prelim conditional but that is about it at my club.

Hugs!
Danielle

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2003, 06:28 AM
Here, the tests are Elements, Free and Moves (there is no separate Adult test stream, you do what the kids do or not at all), and it's not unknown for someone to do all three on the same day. More usually, though, they do Elements and Free on the same day, and Moves on another occasion.

lisabelle
03-21-2003, 02:15 PM
the way ive seen most kids around here do it, and the way i do it myself, is to take moves and free on the same day, but with the moves being a level ahead so that no test is conditional on passing the other one. too me, thats just too much extra pressure. it would mean that the first time you test, prepre MIF, you'll take only the one test, and then after that it will be two. (ie, prepre Free and Prelim MIF)

Kelli
03-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Apparently my coach hates me (well, not really), because I took two moves and one freestyle test in the same day. Granted it was pre-pre moves and free and prelim moves, but it was still stressful. I would say doing the two together is pretty common at the pre-pre level, but becomes less and less common at higher levels. The only problem I had was that the three tests were held back to back, so I didn't have much chance to relax before the next test came up. (But I passed all three, so it's all good!)

dbny
03-21-2003, 03:06 PM
My daughter took all her moves and FS together until Juv, when she took the moves alone because her Juv program was not ready yet.

Terri C
03-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, my club will not allow "contengency testing", meaning that the FS test is contigent on passing the MIF for the same level. This is becuase of so many testers and so little ice time!

vesperholly
03-21-2003, 06:07 PM
The only ones I took together were Pre-Prelim. I've always taken more than one dance test at the same time. It's not common to do contingency tests at our rink because several of our coaches put out skaters before they are ready to test and then they fail.

Well, okay, that's not the official reason :), the official reason is that if they do fail for whatever reason, it tends to leave gaps in the schedule and wastes ice time and judge's time. However, we run about two sessions a month, and usually they're two weeks apart so if you pass moves at the first session, you can do the free not too long afterwards.

Jocelyn

IceAngel725
03-21-2003, 09:53 PM
even though i'm only testing prepre moves, i opted not to do the freestyle on the same day. too much stress for me, i'd rather wait 3 more months. i'm hoping that i might be able to take my pre moves with the prepre freestyle.

sk8ndancr
03-23-2003, 11:02 AM
I've noticed that whenever i take more than one test on the same day, one will pass and the other not. If I only take one test sometimes it passes, sometimes not. I think I might start taking an extra test each time, just so that one of them will pass!

sk8clean
03-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I want to thank gardana for asking this question. Just yesterday my coach mentioned that I start to learn my MIF so I can test. Right now I only skate ISI. I have an excuse to wait a little longer because I only want to test as an adult and I don't turn 25 until June and my coach thought I was already 25.

gardana
03-28-2003, 06:46 PM
I want to thank gardana for asking this question

You're welcome:)