View Full Version : Buying new boots/blades for 13 yr. old- advice please

barnita
03-20-2003, 08:59 AM
I am planning on buying my skater new boots/blades in the next month or so. She is presently in a Gam 065 with a Coronation Comet blade and landing jumps up to double lutz. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

DRENDAVN
03-22-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm in GAMs as are many other adults I skate with. Everyone loves them. 080 is what I'm in and I'm not jumping in them yet so they're plenty stiff enough for me and I'm sure they're stiffer than the 065.

Depending on how big, powerful and heavy your skater is should determine what model she moves into. I'm a 190lb man and I think if I jumped a lot in these 080s I'd shred them in a short time. If your skater jumps big and/or is larger or heavier she may need the 100 or the 400. Is she soon to work on triples? Are her feet still growing? Important considerations.

In general the GAM is so comfortable and light and the heat molding process works so well that even if I had to replace these boots more frequently due to breakdown I would do so. Other adult GAM wearers have said the same to me.

Is that the Stealth sold by Jerrys? I have NO real knowledge of this but I have a hunch by looking at the picture that Ultima makes this blade for them. I'd like to know if I'm right. Anyone doing double jumps needs to be on a pretty high-level freestyle blade.

I skate on Ultima Vantage (no longer available) and love them, too. Partly due to my good experience a higher level adult guy that I skate with upgraded from Phantoms to Ultima Freestyle and the improvement in his skating was stunning! He struggled with spin centering for a year previously on the 7' Phantom and the now 8' Ultima improved him 200% in a week! Normally I wouldn't expect that much difference but it worked for him and I'm happy to see it.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave D.

GoldSeals
03-22-2003, 03:47 PM
I skate on Ultima Vantage (no longer available) and love them, too. Partly due to my good experience a higher level adult guy that I skate with upgraded from Phantoms to Ultima Freestyle and the improvement in his skating was stunning! He struggled with spin centering for a year previously on the 7' Phantom and the now 8' Ultima improved him 200% in a week! Normally I wouldn't expect that much difference but it worked for him and I'm happy to see it.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave D. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Dave,
You seem to know quite a bit about blades and boots:)
The 8 foot radius should be a flatter blade.Actually it could be harder to spin on a flatter blade for some people.One thing I"ve found that its alot easier to skate on the 8 ' blades if youve been away from the ice for awhile.I like my Goldseals, and its easier to land jumps with them.I use to skate in phantoms for a few years.They were good for fast footwork, however the seals had better control.Its harder to spin on the Goldseals compared to the phantoms for me.You have to be right over the blade, or you will start traveling in them:lol:
Regards,GoldSeals

DRENDAVN
03-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GoldSeals

<<Hi Dave,
You seem to know quite a bit about blades and boots:)>>

I've learned a tremendous amount from my skateguy and many others and have done a fair bit of work on my own gear. Sometime I'd consider investing in a grinder to be able to learn and do sharpening.

<<The 8 foot radius should be a flatter blade.Actually it could be harder to spin on a flatter blade for some people.>>

I've heard this as well but I think that it's an oversimplification. I think it's more accurate to say that a shorter radius blade TURNS MORE EASILY so it should be easier to LEARN to spin, do 3turns, etc. After the initial skill is learned and is being developed it my then be easier to CONTROL the spin on a longer radius. If your spin attemps travel and the circles are big-small, big-small you are hunting for the right place on the blade. A longer radius may well help that skater.

<<One thing I"ve found that its alot easier to skate on the 8 ' blades if youve been away from the ice for awhile.I like my Goldseals, and its easier to land jumps with them.I use to skate in phantoms for a few years.They were good for fast footwork, however the seals had better control.Its harder to spin on the Goldseals compared to the phantoms for me.You have to be right over the blade, or you will start traveling in them:lol:
Regards,GoldSeals>>

From my observations there is no middle ground with Gold Seals. People either love them or hate them. One adult woman (high-level) I know struggled for over a year and lost many elements before switching back to MK Gold Star. Many Russian coaches swear by them and have all their students on them. Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov skate on Gold Seals. Oleg says the high stanchions make for good back pivots for pairs skating. I'd love to screw a set on and skate for awhile just to experience them but it's just not that easy as we all know!

Dave D.

GoldSeals
10-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by DRENDAVN
Originally posted by GoldSeals

<<Hi Dave,
You seem to know quite a bit about blades and boots:)>>

I've learned a tremendous amount from my skateguy and many others and have done a fair bit of work on my own gear. Sometime I'd consider investing in a grinder to be able to learn and do sharpening.

<<The 8 foot radius should be a flatter blade.Actually it could be harder to spin on a flatter blade for some people.>>

I've heard this as well but I think that it's an oversimplification. I think it's more accurate to say that a shorter radius blade TURNS MORE EASILY so it should be easier to LEARN to spin, do 3turns, etc. After the initial skill is learned and is being developed it my then be easier to CONTROL the spin on a longer radius. If your spin attemps travel and the circles are big-small, big-small you are hunting for the right place on the blade. A longer radius may well help that skater.

<<One thing I"ve found that its alot easier to skate on the 8 ' blades if youve been away from the ice for awhile.I like my Goldseals, and its easier to land jumps with them.I use to skate in phantoms for a few years.They were good for fast footwork, however the seals had better control.Its harder to spin on the Goldseals compared to the phantoms for me.You have to be right over the blade, or you will start traveling in them:lol:
Regards,GoldSeals>>

From my observations there is no middle ground with Gold Seals. People either love them or hate them. One adult woman (high-level) I know struggled for over a year and lost many elements before switching back to MK Gold Star. Many Russian coaches swear by them and have all their students on them. Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov skate on Gold Seals. Oleg says the high stanchions make for good back pivots for pairs skating. I'd love to screw a set on and skate for awhile just to experience them but it's just not that easy as we all know!

Dave D.

Hi Dave,
If you ever decide on a pair of goldseals... make sure you get them without the "K picks"
The original style seems to be doing a better job with the skaters.
Regards,Dave

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Ummmmm........ well without getting too technical here ! I am a 13 year old skater and i am a presently working on loops flips lutz and al other kinds soon 2 be in the double range and i just bought new skates !
They said to me at the skate store that the best boot for me was the risport excellence but i am only 100lbs!

It is a really strong boot but u didnt include in your thread about the height and weight of your skater1
If you could just let us know i bet we could help u more!

Bye 4 now
Lutzgirl!:D:D:D

Jess-ka
10-18-2003, 05:15 PM
talk to her coach about the skates they should know, or if not go to a shop that sells skates and give the person in there all her info, like what she's working on, what level she is in and so on. hope that helps

supersk8er
10-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Lutzgirl,

That's interesting...I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Risports. I'm a 17 year old skater, and one of my first pairs of skates were Risports...At 9 years old, I developed massive bunions. The doctors said that it was hereditary, but it's no doubt that the skates pushed them along...Whenever I share this experience with coaches, they ask what skate I was in, and when I tell them, they usually go, "Ohhh, well there's your problem"...So I find it very interesting that you'd like them as much as you do...However, every skater is different!

Barnita,

I'm currently in SP-Teri's, and I think they're great. The major advantage to them is that they are made out of 100% leather. Many skates are now being made with strong plastics, or something to that affect, and they break down easier. However, SP-Teri's are a very stiff boot, so I think I would go with the Super Teri Deluxe...I am in this same boot, and though they are designed for a double jump skater, and I work on most of my triples, they are ideal for me because of my extremely weak ankles and warped feet. :P

Jess-ka
10-18-2003, 05:23 PM
hmm i have risports too and i love them but then again my feet actually look like the way the boot is shapped(by luck i think) but i also don't jump anymore andi just dance so that could be it to. Every one i know has had terrible exeriences with SP teri's i guess they were just to tuff for their feet or something.

luna_skater
10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by supersk8er
That's interesting...I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Risports.

Most of the skaters from my hometown are in Risports, and I don't know of any problems they've had with them.

supersk8er
10-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Jess-ka
Every one i know has had terrible exeriences with SP teri's i guess they were just to tuff for their feet or something.

Heh...Yes...I guess my feet are extra-durable. ;) I wasn't insinuating that everyone loves SP-Teri's, and everyone hates Risports...The only thing everyone hates is breaking in new skates! Hehe. I've just always heard that SP-Teri's are suppose to be very well made boots.

Jess-ka
10-18-2003, 05:46 PM
i agree they are, my feet just aren't made as well as the boot;)

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Risports are one of the best skates are club! Most people have them and like them too!
I find them really comfertable too!
Why are risports hated? I think Risports are the best skates Ever!
And no offence to the people who wear skates called SP-Teris but ive never heard off them so they cant be that good can they?:?? :?? :?? :??

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Oh and supersk8er i think those bunions maybe were hereditary!
So dont blame it on the boots because i have never heard anyone getting bunions from Risports!:roll:

Jess-ka
10-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by supersk8erThe doctors said that it was hereditary, but it's no doubt that the skates pushed them along
lutzgirl, she said that they were hereditary...she wasn't blaming the skate... just simply saying that they may have "helped" with the coming of the bunions

96.23??
10-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
Oh and supersk8er i think those bunions maybe were hereditary!
So dont blame it on the boots because i have never heard anyone getting bunions from Risports!:roll:

I just went to see the foot doctor a few days ago for some orthodics, while I was there she noticed these bumps on my toe, she told me they are hereditary but skating probably helped push them along.

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Oh srry.....I didnt understand really 1 Sorry Barnita but i dont get bunions! From risports!

I was Just bein protective of my skates!:oops: 8O :o :o :P :P :P :P :P :P

luna_skater
10-18-2003, 06:17 PM
SP-Teri are quite a well-known brand and are used by top-level skaters. :)

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh ide never heard off them! :oops::oops:

Or amybe i havent heard off them because i dont need them just yet! Because im not quite yet a top level skater! :roll:

So tell me more about these boots !???
What do you with them if they are for "top level skaters"
Doubles and triples?

luna_skater
10-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Here is some info:

www.spteri.com (http://www.spteri.com)

Lutzgirl
10-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks im looking at it!:D

lenneysk8er08
10-19-2003, 12:22 AM
im a 13 year old with through double axel and triple salchow sometimes loop i use graf Edmenton and those are really good and also a graf blade called the Diomong i love them i think that would be a great skate/blade because i started using them when i was working on double lutz and double axel! there great
best luck!

supersk8er
10-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
Oh srry.....I didnt understand really 1 Sorry Barnita but i dont get bunions! From risports!

I was Just bein protective of my skates!:oops: 8O :o :o :P :P :P :P :P :P

No need to be protective...I wasn't "accusing" your skates...I actually thought I was pretty diplomatic in my posts against Risports...I find it odd that you'd be condescending to me when you have roughly four years less experience in skating than I do...And I've had to do quite a bit of research on skates, as I need to find boots that fit my foot right (custom boots are far too expensive), and so I've picked up on a few things...I was only trying to help Barnita with picking out a new pair of skates for her daughter...I definitely wasn't trying to "accuse" your skates.

NickiT
10-19-2003, 04:15 AM
I switched from Risports to Gams and it was the best decision I've ever made skating-wise. While I was in the Risports I thought they were wonderful, but I am a complete Gam convert now as they are so light and comfortable. I guess the important thing when choosing a brand of boot is to choose one that suits your feet. For me the Risport was quite a narrow boot which meant I was actually wearing a size too large to accomodate the width, so once I got fitted properly into Gams, I noticed a huge improvement in my skating, especially with spins, because I was wearing the right boot for my foot!

Nicki

Lutzgirl
10-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Well i shouldnt be talking because i have only ever had 2 pairs of skates in my whole life so i shouldnt be so condtradicted about them!
Ive only ever had Risports so they must be the best ones for me but when i become a "TOP LEVEL" skater then i might just start using the SPTERIS
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks for the info!

blurrysarah
10-19-2003, 11:22 AM
I have a terribly wide foot and although I've only tried on a pair of Riedells and Risports, I found the Risport an absolute dream compared to the Riedells. The Riedells had the narrowest heel and toe box I'd ever seen, I couldn't even stand up in them. The Risport last suits my foot more than the Riedell, but that's only going from two brands. Who knows, maybe I'd be more suited to an SP Teri or a Harlick/Klingbeil/Wifa/Jackson, etc. The fact is that these other brands are not available where I live, at least not at a decent price. The skate shop I went to said their basic Sp Teri model (which they had to order in) was over $1000AU. 8O
So unless I travel to the USA, I don't think I'll be encountering these brands any time soon.

96.23??
10-19-2003, 11:51 AM
I have a really wide foot too, and I am using Graf Edmonton Specials.

supersk8er
10-19-2003, 10:49 PM
The front of my foot is very wide, obviously due to the bunions, but my heel is very narrow...When I was younger, it was misinterpreted that my whole foot was very wide, and that is why the fitting with the Risports really did NOT work.

x_peacegirl_x
10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Graf skates are probably the worst skates you can get. They are made so that you don't realize they are breaking down so when they do start to break down, you don't notice and will continue to skate even though the support you need will be lacking.
I use Wifa skates and I always have. I love them soooo much and just a little piece of info, when Kurt was skating competitively he wore Wifa's too :D hee Right now I'm in the Wifa Diamond and I do all my triples. I get them rebuilt once a year and they hold up great. I love them. They tend to be better suited to people with narrow feet.
SP Teri's are good skates. I've never had them but I've heard pretty good things about them.
Also, bunions may be hereditary but most high level figure skaters will get them anyways. I know i have them, they aren't huge but they are for sure from my skates.
Anyways, when asking advice about new boots you should probably not rely on the advice of figure skaters who are going to be biased. Nor should you listen to someone who has only had two pairs of skates and is doing only single jumps. Ask someone who actually sells skates, they will give you an unbiased and reliable opinion.
Although, I must say that an excellent blade is the Goldstar ;)

who
10-22-2003, 05:29 PM
peacegirl, I have Grafs and have never had a problem with them, nor has anyone at my rink, our National Champion (Aus) and the majority of State Champions for vaious states at most levels wear them without trouble. I wear Edmonton Specials and love them. I've also had reidells and never had trouble with them either.

luna_skater
10-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by x_peacegirl_x
I love them soooo much and just a little piece of info, when Kurt was skating competitively he wore Wifa's too :D hee

Are you certain about that? I thought he wore Riedells.

Many, many world-level skaters are in the Edmonton Special, and it is probably the most-used boot by freeskaters at the rink I'm at. It may not have worked for you, but I doubt they are "the worst skates you can get."

supersk8er
10-23-2003, 01:07 AM
I think I can actually back what x_peacegirl_x is saying about Graf's...I know a lot of people where I used to skate had them, but then switched to a different boot because of an incident where this girl went through about four pairs of them in a month because they were breaking down too quickly. When boots are made with plastic, like Graf's and I think Jackson's also, they break down really easily...That is why, probably with a biased opinion, I would recommend SP-Teri's, because they are made solely with leather.

who
10-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Graf Edmonton Specials are leather, not plastic. Galaxies are synthetic. I have both, Galaxies as my spare pair and no trouble with either. 4 pairs in a month is a pair a week, highly unlikely they were breaking down, if they were well cared for. Even the crappiest pair of boots should last 3 months well cared for, providing they were the correct boot for the level. Risport Lasers for example are no good for anyone above singles, they'll break down too quickly.

You need to buy the right boot for your level. We have plenty of people doing doubles and triples in Edmonton Specials and them lasting a season, which is standard for a good pair at that level. Triple jumpers are encouraged to double reinforce any boots they buy. Our National Champ and state champ has their Grafs double reinforced.

x_peacegirl_x
10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
what is "double reinforcing"?!
many people love graf's because they are so comfortable but i promise you, they break down and you don't even know it. so many people get injuries from them. leah hepner just had to get a new pair of skates because the back of her graf's split down the heel. the bottom of graf's are made out of plastic which does not provide as much support for jumping as other skates do.
i have never tried graf's, nor will i ever. everyone used them at our rink a few years ago because they are made here and were so easy to get. but, now most people have swiched to different brands.
whatever kind of skate you get is your own personal preference but graf skates are cheaply made and are only a replica of the wifa boot with a few changes.
yes, i do know for a fact that kurt wore wifa's.

96.23??
10-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by x_peacegirl_x
what is "double reinforcing"?!
many people love graf's because they are so comfortable but i promise you, they break down and you don't even know it. so many people get injuries from them. leah hepner just had to get a new pair of skates because the back of her graf's split down the heel. the bottom of graf's are made out of plastic which does not provide as much support for jumping as other skates do.
i have never tried graf's, nor will i ever. everyone used them at our rink a few years ago because they are made here and were so easy to get. but, now most people have swiched to different brands.
whatever kind of skate you get is your own personal preference but graf skates are cheaply made and are only a replica of the wifa boot with a few changes.
yes, i do know for a fact that kurt wore wifa's.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bottom of the grafs are plastic.. I have graf Edmonton Specials and have been skating in them for two years now, I love them! The bottom isn't made out of plastic though, I'm pretty sure my boot is made out of leather. :)

Edited to say:
I just found this on the net:
Edmonton Special
Ladies $520.00
Girls $384.00
Ideal for advanced, juvenile to senior competitive skaters. Upper is made of full grain stiff leather with bi-directional inserts., triple leather out sole in a neutral colour. Asymmetric padding. Clarino lining. Extra thick tongue.

barnita
10-23-2003, 05:21 PM
I did purchase my skater another pair of Gam 065 skates with a Stealth blade. (I've been away from this forum for awhile and just noticed this topic was still alive.)

Thanks for all the information.:)

jp1andOnly
10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
just a heads up about grafs. Most triple skaters will use the graf extra strength, especially the men. However, graf has had a problem lately about keeping up with demand. For example, a skater doing triples had to wait 3 months for a pair of graf extra strength to be done. It was a male so maybe thats why it took so long. Thats too long to wait. Skaters are now ordering 2-3 pairs at a time just to make sure they have a pair ready when the old ones break down. And they have been having problems with them breaking down quickly.

Jade
11-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Well how r the skates?

barnita
11-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Jade,
The Gam 065 skates are just perfect for my daughter. She is only skating a couple of times a week and is working on double jumps. It took no time to break them in, and no blisters. Thanks.:)