View Full Version : Just an observation.

Chico
03-19-2003, 11:04 PM
I've noticed something since I started skating and was curious to know if others have this occur too. Some days I feel totally on and will try things that would make my coach have screaming fits (=-) My brave fits drive him nuts. AND he hasn't seen me at my worst. I'm good when he's around!), and others I feel like I own two left feet. For the life of me I have no idea why this is. I've also noticed that some days are spin days and others jumps. To have both on the same day is truly a good day. I have to say this on and off stuff drives me nuts at times. Elsy and I have teased about a skating angel and some days I truly wonder. What about you guys?

Chico

Hey Elsy, my angel has been visiting this week. =-)

Elsy2
03-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Yep,the skating angel is here this week! I am thinking of that line from Forrest Gump and relating it to skating......"Skating" is like a box a chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!" Some days are such a struggle, and other days everything is working. I also have it in my head that either jumps or spins will be good each day, rarely both. But it did happen this week. Everything was on, and it felt great :D I'm apprehensive to go back to the rink, as I'm sure I won't skate as well as last time out....Remember that a huge percentage of skating success is mental ;)

Black Sheep
03-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Gee, that sounds familiar. Sometimes I'm disappointed when I can't do certain maneuvers for my coach while he's watching. When I tell him, "I'm sorry, I know I can do that better," he replies, "No, no, that's okay, it's fine, don't worry about it." This happened just yesterday.

Also, I, too, have days when I can jump, but I can't spin--or vice versa. 8-)

garyc254
03-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Same here. Some days I truly think I'm getting the knack of motivating on thin pieces of steel. Other days I'm wishing for a "walker". :lol:

I think it has something to do with the moon stages. :lol:

Figureskates
03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
How ironic.

My coach said just this morning that I should get rid of the walker...

If I want to use a cane, she said she may be able to put together a Michigan J Frog interpretation routine for me..

It really was a funny, funny lesson today.

1lutz2klutz
03-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Happens to me every time I skate! And it doesn't seem to be related to how I feel when I get to the rink- some days I come in thinking I can't wait to get on the ice, and when I get out there it's like I have 2 left feet (neither of which can skate!). Other days I drag myself in feeling tired or sick or just blah, and have a great skate. I very rarely have a spin AND jump day on the same day..it's usually one or the other or neither.
We joke about having to take turns sacrificing to the skating gods. Last week I had two great lessons in a row, and each time I did my program it was clean and really spot on. I told my coach that after all the $$$ I've paid him over the years, he could at least have the good grace not to look so surprised when I did things right!

wannask8
03-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Just posting to say a big “me too,” even at my early stage of learning very basic skills. Makes me want to scream sometimes.

Another interesting observation, though: every now and then when I’m having a crummy session, I get interrupted by something that forces me off the ice for a quarter hour or so (e.g., the zam comes out) -- and now that I think about it, almost every time that’s happened, things are better when I get back out there. Hmm.

-- wannask8

Chico
03-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh, I'm so glad I'm not a total weirdo. It's just lovely to hear that I have so many friends in my little "club". Misery needs company don't ya know!

Elsy,
I'm so glad your angel visited this week. Me too. =-)

blacksheep,
I tend to fall apart to some extent when my coach is watching too. You have company. I don't know about you, but I always get so uptight trying my best that I can fall apart. I am getting some better on this. Maybe there is hope for us.

1lutz2lutz,
Loved your little coach comment. Gotta remember this one. Is it okay if I borrow it with mine?

Chico

Aussie Willy
03-22-2003, 04:36 AM
On the bad days just blame the ice!