View Full Version : Camel Spin entries

Aussie Willy
03-19-2003, 09:15 PM
What do most people do on the entry to their camel spin? Do you do an inside 3turn or back crossovers and wind up?

I ask this because last night I tried the inside 3 turn (up till now I did back crossovers) and after a few efforts I did probably one of the best camel spin I have done. I think the inside 3turn gave a better momentum so the spin was faster and had more revolutions. However I am thinking maybe it wasn't as well centred as what it could be.

So what do people do?

MissIndigo
03-19-2003, 09:43 PM
I ususally wind up from the back crossover/choctaw entry. I tend to get a better snap and knee bend this way vs. the three turn entry...however, the three turn entry is I think is better for flying camels. I haven't put a camel in a program yet, so the entry in the program would depend upon the immediate preceeding move.

I also do camels from standstills. I can get 4-5 revs out of that, but keeping decent speed is a challenge.

kayskate
03-20-2003, 05:41 AM
I use the FI3 for everything, but that is the way I learned. I can do the windup, but don't especially like it. However, I do use it for opposite direction spinning. I think a benefit of the FI3 is that the body is already turning in the spin direction and can transition fluidly into the spin. For me the windup works better for flying sits, so I guess whatever feels better for you and gives better results. Eventually, you should be able to do both, especially if you are skating programs that require different choreography.

Kay

Lili
03-20-2003, 11:10 PM
I do both. I find that the inside 3turn helps me get more speed, but at the same time sometimes I throw myself into the spin too hard with this entry and end up on my bottom.

jazzpants
03-20-2003, 11:22 PM
I do them back crossover and choctaw into it... It's my general "all purpose" spin entry!!! :P I'm not too good with the FI3 entry... but I'm trying to learn them for at least the scratch spin. :)

love2sk8
03-21-2003, 12:34 PM
I do FI3 for every spin b/c its just the fastest way to get into it...back crossovers take too much time!!:P I don't really find a difference between the two. The only spin which I'm supposed to do back crossovers on is the flying sit.

sk8ing is lyfe
03-21-2003, 09:30 PM
quoted:

I do both. I find that the inside 3turn helps me get more speed, but at the same time sometimes I throw myself into the spin too hard with this entry and end up on my bottom.

same

melanieuk
03-23-2003, 08:41 AM
I do back crosses.
Find it difficult to control the FI 3 turn entry.

rinsk
03-23-2003, 06:12 PM
I've been working a lot on my camel this year trying to get it "potty trained". It's been one of my goals to get the thing moving. When I started off with my "potty training endeavor", I started using the inside 3 entry because it got my spin moving. As I've gotten stronger, I've switched back to the back cross-cuts because I have better control and I can still get a fast spin off of it.