View Full Version : NJ Rink/Lessons For A Beginner?

adrianchew
06-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Ok - I think I might finally get to doing this - how does one get started? I need to find a rink with some [b:1672436d79]VERY[/b:1672436d79] basic skating lessons to begin with... like how to move on ice without falling. :?:

We'll see what comes after that and how far I get. :oops:

Hopefully its somewhere not too well known where there'd be 1,001 spectactors or great skaters to make me feel like a real dumbo on ice.

I can make most of anything north of Edison area and all the way up to Paramus, and probably as far west as Warren county. Has got to be at night or weekends.

Anyone? - And no - you can't come watch! :P

Figureskates
06-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Adrian, I wish I still lived in New Jersey. I be glad to help get you started...and I am not the most dazzling thing on ice. I use to skate at the South Mountain Arena in West Orange..

I wish you luck....and you will be hooked!!

Yazmeen
06-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Adrian:

If you would send me your address by private e-mail, I'd be happy to send you copies of the pages from the SkatersEdge sourcebook that cover New Jersey rinks. Its a 1998 publication, but it should at least help.

Personally, I would recommend training by ISI (Ice Skating Institute) as I feel its a bit more relaxed than USFSA, but that's a personal bias, and both are good programs. I skate and train at Power Play Rinks at Warwick, and seriously, if you'd like to make the drive down one day (Bucks County, PA) I'd be happy to go out on a public session with you just for fun and a start!! I started out as a "wall hanger" and I'm now in ISI Freestyle 2, working on salchow, toeloop and one foot spin. Believe me, my start was as basic as it gets!!!!

I'll check in with our coaches for some recommendations. I'm more familiar with South Jersey (I'm a doc at Deborah) but I'm sure they can help out.

By the way, GOOD FOR YOU!!! GO FOR IT!!!!

Beth

adrianchew
06-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Beth - just sent you a PM with email address.

Next question - do I just call up the rinks and show up there and say I want to sign up? I guess maybe I'll take up your offer to visit PA one day, for a starter outing - if no one in NJ offers up.

skateflo
06-14-2002, 04:52 AM
Adrian,

Once you get the list (Skater's Edge) you can then take a local map and plot their locations - some may be more difficult traffic wise to get to than others. Then call the rinks and ask if they have a Learn to Skate program, days/hours, ask if they have ISI or USFSA or their own LTS program (rinks vary as to program they use; I would opt for ISI, USFSA, own, in that order). Then ask if they have an Adult LTS program or do they have a class within their program, i.e. all the adults are taught together - many are starting to do this.

You might want to then visit the rinks that sound interesting, watch one of their LTS sessions in progress. Also many have brochures about their program that usually gives all the necessary information about signing up, times, what to wear, if they offer rental skates, refund policy, etc.

Don't necessarily opt for only the modern glitzy rink - some of the old war horse rinks have great programs.

LTS programs run in #week sessions; typically 7-9 week, meeting once a week (like 30 minutes of group lesson and 30 minute practice time.) Some have additional ice practice on public sessions included in their LTS fee.

I was the only adult in a 100 kid LTS program (I was 46 at the time) and I survived.

You might also want to check out the USFSA, ISI, and "Skateweb" web pages for their club locations as they usually have LTS information on them as well. Note: some rinks have dual designations (have a USFSA club based there, the rink runs an ISI LTS program.)

Let us know what you find! Good luck!

OlgaG
06-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Mennen Arena in Morristown has adult classes on Tuesday evenings around 9pm that follow the isi structure. They also have classes on Saturdays (but I'm not sure if those include adults).

Bridgewater Sports Arena has classes for adults that are designated as beginner, intermediate, advanced. I believe these were on Wednesday nights.

South Mountain Arena in West Orange follows ISI but I don't know if they have separate adult classes or when they are.

kar5162
06-14-2002, 08:58 AM
Don't forget Hackensack. Of course it is a "big" rink, but no one's watching the group classes (except the parents of course). One minus is that they usually seem to have a lot of people on the ice, but a plus for you is that there are quite a few adults including men, which is fairly unusual.

Another rink near there is Fritz Dietl in Westwood. I've never been there, so don't know if they offer group lessons, but have heard the people are very friendly.

If you go to the USFSA club website and the ISI website, you can find lists of clubs and rinks in the NJ area. Many websites have at least an overview of their group lesson program so you'd at least be able to see when the classes are offered and get contact information.

Elsy2
06-14-2002, 09:01 AM
I think it's great that you are going to try skating! What took you so long? The hardest part in the beginning is just making the decision to do it, and showing up for that first lesson. You have all the support in the world here on your own site. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I recommend an all adult learn to skate class if you can find it. You will feel more comfortable, and make some nice friends too.

Mrs Redboots
06-14-2002, 09:11 AM
[quote:119b2bc822="adrianchew"]Ok - I think I might finally get to doing this - how does one get started? I need to find a rink with some [b:119b2bc822]VERY[/b:119b2bc822] basic skating lessons to begin with... like how to move on ice without falling. :?:
[/quote:119b2bc822]The others have told you where your nearest rinks are located. Don't worry - the learn-to-skate classes are well used to people who have no idea how to balance on skates, and you will most likely not be the only complete beginner. If your local rink doesn't offer adult-only classes, you might save yourself some embarrassment by taking private lessons from the outset, but that is entirely up to you. Group lessons are cheaper, but you make faster progress with private lessons. Either way, be sure to practice as much as you can in between lessons - it really does pay off in terms of speed of progress.

As soon as you know you'll love skating the way we do, buy your own boots; hired boots are fine for finding out whether this is going to be "your" sport, but no real good much beyond basic stroking and swizzles.

Other than that, just have fun! It's the greatest sport in the world.....

Lee
06-14-2002, 09:36 AM
There ya go, Adrian! All kinds of information to get started with -- now [i:63aba2f460]GET YOUR BUTT OUT THERE AND [b:63aba2f460]DO IT[/b:63aba2f460]!!!!!!!!!![/i:63aba2f460]

:D 8) :lol: :P :twisted: :wink:

kar5162
06-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Just checked and Hackensack has group lessons for all ages Wed or Fri at 6:20 and Sat at 10 or 11:15. Starts June 24. They separate adults from kids and start at USFSA basic 1, meaning the absolute beginning.

quarkiki2
06-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Not that I'd expect you to come to Iowa for lessons, but our rink separates adults from children, too, from the very beginning. Which is pretty much where I am -- I've only had 10 lessons in my life.

Sometimes they combine the beginning adult figure skaters and the beginning adult hockey skaters for the first couple of classes because the skills in those classes are universal. That's how we ended up with three men in my first session of classes -- two hockey guys and my dear hubby, who wants to learn how to do a spread eagle before he dies, LOL! :lol:

My current Beginner Adult class consists of myself and one other person, also a man, who wants to play hockey. He hasn't put skates on for 30 years and I'm working on forward crossovers, soon to start back crossovers. Because there were only two adults signed up for lessons at that time, they put us in a "group" of two people and it's like a semi-private lesson.

Don't worry if you don't catch on quickly -- everyone is so busy making sure they don't wipe out that watching you isn't a priority (except for you and your instructor). I don't even know what my classmate is working on right now because I'm concentrating on what I'm doing. Last session, my dear hubby would do something and then ask me "Did you see that? I just ..." And my answer was always "Sweetie, I'm sure that you did ___ very well, but I missed it because I was trying to do ___, too!" :roll:

Summer, at least in Iowa, seems like a great time to start lessons -- the spring session had 3x as many people on the ice. I prefer NOT being squished right up to a Tot 1 class, simply because I was terrified that if I fell, I'd smash some poor 38lb kid. That never happened, but we did have a couple of people in our group take some really spectacular falls. :wink:
We cheered anyone who fell -- our instructors thought we were a riot!

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

wannask8
06-14-2002, 10:32 PM
I’m just going to add a rink-finding resource here (okay, so I guess this is another thing I have to thank the hockey people for) that seems to have fairly current information (although I don’t know for Jersey myself – just happened to be looking at NY/CT today): www.arenamaps.com. You can put in search parameters as broad as a state and as narrow as a town. If you put in just “NJ,” you’ll get the list for the state by name and address; clicking on a name gets you phone and instant map and directions. Many places close or have reduced hours for the summer, so you may have to try a few.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

-- wannask8

TaraNJ
06-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Don't forget Bridgewater Sports Arena! There are adult group lessons! That's how I started! They are held on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. I am going to be a coaching assistant for Wednesday evening classes as soon as my ankle improves enough to skate--I'd love to see you there!

See www.bsaarena.com for information; you'll want to get in touch with Jackie Kulik, the skating director. Good luck!

TashaKat
06-15-2002, 12:13 PM
:D I can't help you with rinks unless you want to come across to the UK but good luck with the skating :) and let us know how you go on.

L x

SandraD
06-15-2002, 01:42 PM
[b:d0f8a12a74]Watch out Alexi, here comes Adrian. Now you (Alexi)will have some REAL competition! [/b:d0f8a12a74] ;)

Adrian, I am So very excited for you! :)

Sandra

flippet
06-17-2002, 01:30 PM
ADRIAN!!!! [img:178bc41c8d]http://www.billyboyd.net/cgi-bin/forumb1/images/kiss.gif[/img:178bc41c8d] [img:178bc41c8d]http://www.billyboyd.net/cgi-bin/forumb1/images/kiss.gif[/img:178bc41c8d] [img:178bc41c8d]http://www.billyboyd.net/cgi-bin/forumb1/images/kiss.gif[/img:178bc41c8d]

:D :D :D

Yay for you! I'm so glad you finally decided to join us. :twisted:

There's some great information up there to get you started. You might want to try out a public session or two first, to just give you a kind of feel for the ice before your first lesson, and that way you won't feel [b:178bc41c8d]completely[/b:178bc41c8d] inept. :) And trust me....[b:178bc41c8d]no one[/b:178bc41c8d] is paying any attention on a public session, and really not very much during lessons either, so you shouldn't feel scrutinized. If you rent skates, just make sure they aren't the crappiest pair the place has (try to get the one with the least creases if you can), and have a go!

WOO-HOO!! (And if you get started now, you'll have a chance to pass Cory up...hee hee hee! :twisted: :twisted: )

RoaringSkates
06-18-2002, 10:44 AM
You should have a blast! Most rinks here in NY/NJ offer beginner adult classes, which is a great place to start. Not only will you get experience skating, but you'll also meet other adults at your same level!

When I started, I skated at the Palisades Center in Nyack, NY because I passed it everyday while they were building it. Since then, I've followed my coach around to open ice time in Rockland/Westchester county. I haven't skated in NJ yet, so can't give you much advice about NJ rinks.

Do you own skates, or will you be renting at first?

wannask8
06-19-2002, 09:07 PM
RoaringSkates, not to get too far off the track, but how did you find Palisades and Westchester? I was toying with the idea of visiting one or the other during my usual rink’s less convenient summer schedule, but they’re quite a bit farther afield, and I was wondering whether they’re worth the trip. I’m just a slow beginner and need to toodle around a little while, but was particularly interested in crowds and ice conditions at public sessions, if you know.

-- wannask8

Anita18
06-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Congrats on deciding to skate! Hehe I didn't know how to skate [i:dcdab66880]at all [/i:dcdab66880]when I first started - I hung on to the wall for weeks - and now I'm around the FS3 level: forward scratch spin, loop, flip, sit spin, and still fighting the backspin, LOL. It took me a while, but once I knew I was gonna love it (the edges, mostly :) ), there was no turning back!

LOL I wish I'd known there was a rink nearby in NJ when I used to live in the Freehold area. The only reason why I know now is because I saw Alexei Yagudin skate on TV in 99 Worlds. ("Hey! He lives in Freehold!...[i:dcdab66880]There's a rink in Freehold??" [/i:dcdab66880]:frus: LOL!) Yeah, that was hopeless, but I have no regrets that I took it up much later..

Don't worry about being a beginner skater; I'll bet there are lots of people like you! Everyone started out looking like a dork. :wink: And even now, I still look like one: Yesterday, I was trying to do a T-stop by the boards, lost my balance, and fell straight down on my butt in front of a whole bunch of little summer camp kids. (This was when I was easily the best skater there at the time! :roll: ) Yup, it was smooth!

garyc254
06-21-2002, 03:56 PM
Yo Adrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!

And all of this time I thought you were already a skater. :wink:

Remember some of the tips you've read in this (and previous :evil: ) forums. Usually, get your rental skates a size smaller (sometimes two) than your normal shoe size. Take your time, keep your back straight, and your KNEES BENT. Did I mention KNEES BENT? Don't forget to keep your KNEES BENT. And lastly, keep your KNEES BENT.

The only other suggestion I have is to keep your KNEES BENT. :lol:

My Monday night skate is during an adult only public session. I was very nervous when I first went on the ice. At my age it's too easy to make fool of yourself. :wink: The coaches and the other skaters were marvelous. They'd supply tips or a helping hand for balance. Many have become friends. Even some of the hockey guys have helped out.

Accordingly, I try to meet and help out new skaters (particularly the cute ones :wink: ) with my limited experience which is usually the same lessons my coach gave me a few months before.

Good for you, go get 'em, and keep your KNEES BENT!!!!

Gary

P.S. Keep your KNEES BENT!! :lol:

kar5162
06-21-2002, 04:23 PM
[quote:f493add426="wannask8"]RoaringSkates, not to get too far off the track, but how did you find Palisades and Westchester? I was toying with the idea of visiting one or the other during my usual rink’s less convenient summer schedule, but they’re quite a bit farther afield, and I was wondering whether they’re worth the trip. I’m just a slow beginner and need to toodle around a little while, but was particularly interested in crowds and ice conditions at public sessions, if you know.

-- wannask8[/quote:f493add426]

Hi wannask8. I'm not RoaringSkates, but have skated at Palisades Center several times. If it was easier to get to from the city I'd go back frequently. I think that place is great. I've only been about 10 times, but have never seen a crowd and have never had any problems (I've got my singles and am working on doubles). The one negative is that the ice is very hard and kind of yucky, but the # of people (very low) and the type of people (generally very nice) makes it worthwhile. The times I've been there I've usually be the most advanced or close to it, skater and there's been a few guys with hockey skates and younger and older figure skating beginners as well as the parent or two with small child.

adrianchew
06-22-2002, 03:27 PM
I did it! :D

Actually the rink was in Staten Island - db and her husband helped me out - first I got some marching orders - umm I believed they're called marching steps, and then, had to do some forward swizzles (hope I spelt that right). Finally ended with a little balance practice, and a bit of gliding.

Fell once (ouch!) - but it was fun and oh my - [b:b4594e93f0]KNEES[/b:b4594e93f0] - mine are just lousy and refused to co-operate enough... gotta bend more. :roll:

I need to still find another rink though that has night sessions in the week - may just go in and practice on my own on a public session some. Not sure yet about classes but I think I will - right now I'm thinking if I can get to a point where I can move smoothly enough on the ice without falling, that's when I'll probably sign up for something (is that a good idea?).

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2002, 03:39 PM
[quote:8cae998236="adrianchew"]I did it! :D

Actually the rink was in Staten Island - db and her husband helped me out - first I got some marching orders - umm I believed they're called marching steps, and then, had to do some forward swizzles (hope I spelt that right). Finally ended with a little balance practice, and a bit of gliding.

Fell once (ouch!) - but it was fun and oh my - [b:8cae998236]KNEES[/b:8cae998236] - mine are just lousy and refused to co-operate enough... gotta bend more. :roll:

I need to still find another rink though that has night sessions in the week - may just go in and practice on my own on a public session some. Not sure yet about classes but I think I will - right now I'm thinking if I can get to a point where I can move smoothly enough on the ice without falling, that's when I'll probably sign up for something (is that a good idea?).[/quote:8cae998236]

Well done! I've skated at that rink on Staten Island with DB and her daughter - it's nice there, and so is she!

I did the same as you are thinking of doing - waited until I could move fairly smoothly before signing up for classes. But there were, and still are, folk signing up who barely have their balance yet, so you can sign up at any stage.

Figureskates
06-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Way to go Adrian....are you hooked now??

SandraD
06-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Congratulations, Adrian! :D

I highly recommend skating lessons. You will advance so much faster and probably will meet some nice folks.

Happy Skating!

Sandra

wannask8
06-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Adrian, congratulations on your successful initiation! I am also a newbie who decided to get a little bit of a feel for things on my own before I took a lesson, but that is certainly not a requirement. I’m not much of an athlete, so it gave me a more comfortable confidence level to have done that.

-- wannask8

P.S. – kar5162, thanks for the info!

TashaKat
06-23-2002, 02:10 AM
[size=18:6badb6f29d][color=blue:6badb6f29d]Yay! Well done, Adrian :) [/color:6badb6f29d][/size:6badb6f29d]

Let us know how you get on :D

L x

singerskates
06-23-2002, 07:57 PM
So you want to be the next one to do a quad lutz. Good start, Adrian!

quarkiki2
06-24-2002, 10:05 AM
Yay Adrian!!!!! :D

Sign up for lessons as soon as you feel ready -- there's nothing like being in a class with other adult beginners, especially if you find an instructor who likes adults. My first learn to skate was great -- we had a terrific time ad laughed the classes away, very enjoyable and supportive. Plus, in a class with all beginners it's really, really hard to feel self-conscious.

Good for you!!!! :D

flippet
06-24-2002, 11:28 AM
YAAAY!!! :)

You can start a class now, if you want, or wait, it's your choice. A beginning class will probably teach you how to fall correctly, so it can be quite beneficial at this stage. But you'll learn a lot about balance just by toodling around too, so you can wait for lessons if you wish. Don't worry about anyone looking at you....just like you, they're all going to be so busy paying attention to what they're doing that they'll never notice!

Sounds like you're getting a great start. :)

garyc254
06-24-2002, 12:06 PM
That's fantastic, Adrian!!!!!! We're all proud if you. :D :D :D

I've found that skating at busy public sessions were tough for me as a beginner, until my coach told me to practice in the corners. Seldom do regular skaters skate in the rink corners, so the ice is usually less worn/chewed up and there's less worry about collision.

I took lessons from my first step on the ice. Having a coach there helped keep me from developing bad habits, gave me a lot of confidence, and made my intro a lot more fun. However, if you have an experienced skater with you, that helps, too.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

skateflo
06-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Adrian - what wonderful news that you had the courage to give it a try!! That first hurdle is now behind you!

While cruising around in public sessions can be of some help for many, it can be a little scary for others.

I think you should give a Learn To Skate program a try - as was said, many have adults together and the "ice gets borken" (pardon the pun) very quickly as you all are in the same boat and laughter is sure to ease the tension. And a LTS session gets you started with the very basics. I've seen a lot of people on public sessions that have no idea about edges and stopping.

I'm surprised your knees bothered you more than your thigh muscles - feel the burn yet?

But I add my heartiest congratulations!! Now GO find a local rink!!!

isk8te
06-25-2002, 10:08 AM
There is a brand new rink in Woodbridge NJ. It is located in the Woodbride Community Center and it is just gorgeous. In addition there is a roller rink, swimming pool, basketball court, weight room, and running track all located in the same building. If you would like open skate times or Freestyle times just drop me a message and I will let you know.

db
06-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I must tell you all that Adrian was quite impressive, staying on the ice for the entire two hour session! He beat my first try by about 1 3/4 hours :oops: