View Full Version : Advice needed!

TashaKat
03-18-2003, 02:40 AM
Those of you who know me know that after being a skate addict I've gone to having trouble getting back onto the ice after a year of injury ..... I'm on my third time back now, this is my third day and I'm feeling SO depressed about my skating. It's awful not having the feeling of freedom, the footwork, the jumps, the speed ........ Anyway, less of the whingeing. What I was thinking about was to do a block of Adult Group classes to help get my skill/confidence levels back! What do you think? I left the group classes years ago and was working for Inter-Silver (or whatever it is now) Dance before my last injury (broken wrist) so 'theoretically' I'm over the standard BUT I feel WELL BELOW the standard at the moment!

Do you think that it would be worthwhile? I'd be interested to hear your comments as I'm undecided!

Ta

L xx

skaternum
03-18-2003, 04:42 AM
I think Group Classes would be a good idea. They might help you get rid of some of the pressure you're putting on yourself and help make it fun again. In a sense, they would sort of force you to be patient. Besides, who among us wouldn't benefit from working the basics again?!

kayskate
03-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Why not give it a try? It will be a nice refresher, you will make new friends, and save money compared to private lessons. You will also have a regular appointment encouraging you to get to the rink. You are lucky to have more advanced groups available. The only adult groups I have seen where I live are for absolute beginners. I think we have so many coaches here who want to give private instruction, that advanced groups do not benefit the profession.

Kay

JDC1
03-18-2003, 08:11 AM
I do group and private! Group is fun because you interact with others, you help each other too and you're all in it together!

Mrs Redboots
03-18-2003, 08:25 AM
I occasionally do a group lesson at Lynne's rink (haven't managed one so far this year, alas), and, if the free skating group lessons are anything like the dance ones, I'd say, definitely, go for it! The ethos seems to be that not only do the coaches help you, but the other skaters do, too - and you, in turn, help others who are struggling with something you can do. I actually did a Foxtrot mohawk for the first time ever showing someone how to do one there - such a pity I haven't been able to repeat it....

garyc254
03-18-2003, 08:28 AM
After my rotator cuff surgery last November, I was off of the ice for a while. Returning to the ice was hard, not for lack of want, but because those few weeks I was off depleted me physically and my confidence level was pretty low.

My old coach told me to sign up for an intermediate adult group lesson. In all honesty, the class of 4 was mostly beginners and my skills although rusty were far above where the rest of the class was. However, the drills did wonders for me. It made me concentrate on all of my basics again. I could have easily dropped out of the class because it was such a low level, but I persisted. It helped me get my confidence as well as my edges back into shape.

After 12 weeks of group lessons and practicing during public sessions as much as possible, I knew it was time to move on.

Yes, do take a group lesson and concentrate on the basics.

RoaringSkates
03-18-2003, 09:14 AM
I'd definately do it. I myself have joined the occasional adult group class, and I am well past that level. I do it when I need some extra motivation to get out there and skate - I find that having paid for a class inspires me to attend that class. I always gain from the class in my skating skills - you can never work your basics enough! It's also nice to have the commeraderie of the other adult skaters.

If there's an adult intermediate or advanced class, that would be better than the beginners class for you.

Figureskates
03-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Lynn:

I agree with the group lessons.

I do both group lessons and privares and I find the group lessons are great for feedback.

Now, get back out on the ice.....that's an order!!!!

TashaKat
03-20-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks guys :) It would seem that it's a good idea ;) The ONLY problem is that the next adult course doesn't start until the end of April by which time I will have either improved or given up!!!

L x