View Full Version : Do the competitive skaters usually get feedback from judges

tidesong
03-16-2003, 02:08 AM
Yup. I'm just wondering. After a competition do you usually have a conference and talk, or is the feedback done through your coach. Or you don't get any feedback at all.

And if you do get feedback, what do you do about the feedback?

jazzpants
03-16-2003, 03:20 AM
I've "heard" that after the competition you can request to get feedback from a judge regarding your performance. But don't quote me on this... :P

utopia
03-16-2003, 05:38 AM
yes, but I think it depends on your level and the competition. I know when last I competed (a couple of years ago, in the usa), they only gave feedback to juvenile or intemediate and above skaters. when I got critiqued, they went through my coach. I think on the open competition scene it might vary as to how it is done, but yes, it is definitely available. and skaters do make use of it - it's a good way to break down what may be holding you back in competition.

Clarice
03-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Skaters can also get feedback from judges outside of competition. Judges might be invited to club recitals for the specific purpose of giving critiques, or a coach might ask a judge to come watch a particular skater practice.

love2sk8
03-16-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm a competitive skater, and we do get feedback from the judges - especially if it is a qualifying event, or one of importance...feedback is also given to the coach, who relays it to his/her students!

Also, many times the judges will monitor skaters, which means that they have a form to fill out with our strengths and weaknesses with things that we can improve, such as speed, flow, musicality, technique, content of program, stamina, style, etc.

Elsy2
03-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Certain competitions specify in their announcement when critiques will be offered. For example, at the upcomming Nashville competition in May critiques are offered for short and free skating programs for qualifying levels. After your competition flight is done, you go to a room where a judge comments on your program.

I had feedback from a judge one time who just happened to be watching my event and offered comments. But normally, no, I haven't had any feedback. As to what you do if you get feedback, you listen and try to incorporate any changes into your program. For example, daughter was told her straight line sequence did not go completely end to end of the rink, which is one thing they specifically look for.

As stated above, we have also arranged critiques at our test sessions and shows, and skaters who are at higher levels probably do get feedback routinely.

I recall a skatemom who's daughter came in second in basic skills demanding to get a critique from the judges after the event. This was her first competition, and mom couldn't tolerate her daughter placing less than first. Geez.....

Black Sheep
03-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Last time I got feedback from a judge was from the late great Cathy Clarry--*sigh* I miss her....:(

Mrs Redboots
03-16-2003, 11:14 AM
You always get feedback after a test, even if it's only "Well done!" At or after a competition you won't usually get any feedback, but we - my husband and I - have been known to grab passing judges and say "Okay, so what do we need to do to help you give us higher marks?" So far, we've always found that feedback enormously helpful, but I would be careful who I picked to ask! Mostly, they are people I know more as skaters than as judges; I haven't yet dared ask judges who I don't really know!

Magz
03-16-2003, 01:21 PM
at our club we always have judges giving feedback on test days (it's required) and for competitions some judges do some don't...and at this one competition the guy giving out the medals had been watching and he was giving advice to lots of people

jazzpants
03-16-2003, 01:52 PM
At our rink, we also occasionally have "judge's critique" sessions. (usually around the time of Regionals for kids and Sectionals for adults.) And we're not talking "good, keep it up!" They go on "things to work on" and "good things to emphasize on."

CanAmSk8ter
03-16-2003, 04:57 PM
We have a couple of judges, one in particular, who do tests at my rink and are always willing to make suggestions beyond what goes on the forms. They don't have tons of room to write on those papers. More than once, my coach has been approached by one really cool judge, usually when I've either barely passed or barely failed, and he's had comments about what I need to improve either to get up to passing or to pass the next one. He's come to talk to me a couple of times, too. I think generally it is supposed to be the coach who approaches the judges, not the skater.

sk8er1964
03-16-2003, 05:40 PM
At my last competition I was the only adult. They offered a judges critique instead of a medal. That was very helpful. So if any of you are an adult skating an exhibition, ask for the judge's critique - it's worth it.

tidesong
03-16-2003, 07:05 PM
ok thanks guys so its rather normal to get critiques from judges for you all. For me, I had my first competition with critique this year so I was just wondering is this the norm or was the previous no news the norm. Because I felt that it was very useful and wonder how any competitor could survive without it.