View Full Version : My trip to Simsbury.

FSWer
03-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone. Just wanted to annouce that I had a great time in Simsbury today watching the World Championship Ex. A lot of skaters were ther,and they did their programs for the Olympics. Sasha Cohen was there too. I only had one problem. When you go there you can't meet skaters. They did also have young skaters there too. So,is there anyone here who has skated in Simsbury with famous skaters during a show that can please give me so tips on how to meet them? Thanks.

CanAmSk8ter
03-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
Hi everyone. Just wanted to annouce that I had a great time in Simsbury today watching the World Championship Ex. A lot of skaters were ther,and they did their programs for the Olympics. Sasha Cohen was there too. I only had one problem. When you go there you can't meet skaters. They did also have young skaters there too. So,is there anyone here who has skated in Simsbury with famous skaters during a show that can please give me so tips on how to meet them? Thanks.

I skated in a handful of shows in Simsbury, and the answer is simple: unless you're a skater yourself and you've been picked to skate in the show, you can't. The only times I got to meet any of them were when I was skating in the shows. No one is allowed backstage, and the skaters leave after the show. As soon as people see them signing one autograph, they all want one. That's why they duck out. If they didn't they'd be there all night. It's also a security issue, especially with the kids- I know if my kid were in a show, I wouldn't want strangers hanging around trying to "meet" them. And if word got out that Simsbury, or any rink, was letting fans have all kinds of access to the skaters, the skaters wouldn't want to come back to that rink to do their shows. One of the things I've heard skaters say they like about Simsbury is the security.

Basically, when you buy a ticket to a show, you pay to see the skaters skate. It doesn't entitle you to "meet" them, or get to know them. Sometimes it's possible to say a quick hi to a favorite. But remember, Worlds are next week. These skaters have been training day in and day out for months, and they probably wanted to get in, skate their programs, and go home and go to bed.