View Full Version : k-pick blades?

skatin' mom
03-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I am shopping for a new set of blades and am considering the MK Professional or the Wilson Ace or Coronation. I noticed that these blades come in a regular configuration and in something called "K-Pick". What exactly is that, and would it be appropriate for someone who is just getting started with jumps?
Thanks!:roll:

Elsy2
03-14-2003, 10:40 PM
The Coronation Ace or MK Professionals are good choices, but no need to think about the K-pick. Definitely not appropriate for beginning jumpers, and not necessary at higher levels either. From what I've read on forums, the jury is still out as to whether the K-pick is all that beneficial at all.

GoldSeals
03-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi .
I've never used these blades,however after looking at the design. I feel it wont help you that much.There should be no problem finding the ice with the pick using the original style blade.Plus it adds an ugly appearance to then blade.
Regards,GoldSeals:)

mskater13
03-15-2003, 04:18 PM
I have K-Pick blades now, and I can tell you that it made my triple toeloop worse since I got them. Before I switched to the K-Pick it was a whole lot better. But I changed my takeoff and its working ok now. I'm not sure if its the K-Pick that caused the problem? But I have seen an improvement in double flips. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I have had them about 4 months now and they still cause me to slip off my toepick occasionally. So I really dont know how beneficial they are, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone who is just learning the jumps.
I hope that helps!:P

vesperholly
03-15-2003, 07:47 PM
The K-Pick was developed for high-level skaters who were experiencing their toe pick slipping or shifting during the take-off toe-pick jumps lke the toe loop, flip or lutz.

That said, I do not believe that it should be considered any kind of replacement or solution for proper technique.

If you are just getting started on jumps, I suggest the Coronation Ace. It's a great multi-purpose blade that isn't too much for beginner skaters but has enough meat for higher-level jumps. I know a skater who got to double lutzes on Aces before switching to Gold Stars.

Jocelyn

land64shark
03-15-2003, 10:58 PM
My daughter's coach just went round and round with a young girl that was new to him. She was in K-picks and he wanted her out of them. She apparently was put in them while at her summer training camp by the man who invented them. Her present coach's philosophy is that the K-picks work such that you can put your toe down any old place and pull off the jump. This kid is small and 9 years old. He feels she is setting herself up for injury when she gets bigger and heavier with the poor technique that she is able to "get away' with at present in the K-picks.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Mrs Redboots
03-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by vesperholly
If you are just getting started on jumps, I suggest the Coronation Ace. It's a great multi-purpose blade that isn't too much for beginner skaters but has enough meat for higher-level jumps. I know a skater who got to double lutzes on Aces before switching to Gold Stars. My coach always recommends Coronation Ace to his skaters, until, he says, they are learning double jumps. And then when, but not until, you need new blades you upgrade to Phantoms.

But new and different blades are coming on to the market, and we need to be aware of that. I don't think, though, that any of those who are inventing new blades are really aiming them at low-level skaters! Maybe one day they will, but they haven't so far.

land64shark
03-16-2003, 08:36 PM
One more thing.... the k-pick makes your blades heavier.

cparakeet
03-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Speaking of blades for learning jumps...Anyone know why the MK Gold Star blade is recommended frequently? Just curious when people start using different blades, and when.... e.g. when is it appropriate to start using Phantoms?

TashaKat
03-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by cparakeet
Speaking of blades for learning jumps...Anyone know why the MK Gold Star blade is recommended frequently? Just curious when people start using different blades, and when.... e.g. when is it appropriate to start using Phantoms?

The Gold Star is a great blade, it's top of the range and I found it very stable and a lot faster than the Coronation Aces. Although I got it fairly early on in my skating career (blade/boot combo for £25) it isn't really a 'learn to jump' blade. The toe picks are larger than the lower level blade and, whilst it makes you get off those toe picks you can have some nasty falls (think knee meets ice!). I'm on the Gold Seal now just because the Gold Star wasn't available when I needed new blades which is also a high level blade.

Some people will say that you should progress through the blades like you do the boots whereas others will say that once you're fairly competent you should go for the highest level that you can afford. I think that it's up to you and how you feel in the end. I don't feel that it was detrimental to my skating to start using a higher level blade early on but that's me ........ I'm strange anyway :??

L x

Elsy2
03-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Although many skaters will upgrade to a higher level blade due to their jumping ability (usually upgrading while learning doubles), there are other reasons to consider an upgrade. I upgraded as I needed a flatter blade than the Ace. The plus that I didn't expect was that the higher level blade I chose (Ultima Freestyle) is a faster blade, your glide is easier and your pushes generate more speed overall. It's just a feeling of less resistance on the ice. Now I'm not a great jumper, but the larger picks do feel more secure, and haven't tripped me up any more than the Aces.

emyh
03-18-2003, 10:25 AM
I can't quite remember since it's been a while... aren't Professionals fine for doubles?

icetiff
03-18-2003, 04:46 PM
I have k-pick blades and I love them. I have had them for a year and half and it made a huge difference in my jumps. I now don't slip on toe take offs or on loops. I really didn't feel a big difference on the weight of them. I couldn't go back to a regular blade. I got used to the k-pick blades in a couple of days.

Chico
03-18-2003, 10:56 PM
I have Gold Stars and love them. My best skating purchase to date. My old coach told me that you can buy too much skate, but you can never buy too much blade. Good blades help with edge control. She also told me to stay away from big toe picks. K-picks have big toe picks! Good technique is needed for jumps, not toe pick size. Well, maybe for triples, but most folks don't get here. I'm farting with doubles, and I can tell you from personal experience that a poor set up will get you on jumps. I'd worry more about this with just learning. I'd ask your coach for help on your decision. Your coach knows you and what would be best .Coach knows best. =-)

Chico

skatin' mom
03-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies! I have definitely ruled OUT the K-Picks as a result, now I just have to decide between the Professional and the Ace. It seems to me that they are basically the same, so I guess I will take whichever the pro shop has in stock!

backspin
03-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Then there are those of us who do all our nice single jumps in dance blades!

ha ha, I just got Ultima Ascend dance blades, & let me tell you, they are awesome! So maneuveralbe, it's amazing. I also got back all my jumps & spins (through lutz & a beginning camel & a beginning flying sit). I don't expect to do any higher freestyle in them, but they'll be just fine for me when I feel like playing.

And for dance, they're absolutely great!