View Full Version : Adult Pacific Sectionals results?

dcden
03-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Ok I'll start the thread (you knew it was coming). Any of you west coasters have the scoop on Pac sectionals?

jazzpants
03-15-2003, 02:27 AM
I'll start with this:

http://www.scsf.org/ASMarch03Sched.html

dcden... Championship Adult Gold Men is tomorrow night. You'll know who you'll be competing with tomorrow night. :D But so far I could tell ya that Chris Sullivan (a newcomer...and fellow skating buddy on occasions) and Nick Chou looks VERY strong!!! :)

Let's see what else I could mention w/o getting into trouble :roll:

My coach has a new Interpretative program this year!!! No MK!!! But I won't let out the secret of his new program. You'll just have to watch and listen to it.

Congrats to PattyP for taking the Silver at Silver II FS. :D :D :D Landed an EASY axel and kicked some major ice butt today with a new program!!!

The rest you'll have to go to AN and find out!!! :P

Black Sheep
03-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Of course, I'll be looking for photos! 8-)

Black Sheep
03-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Ooh, congrats to PattyP for taking 1st in Interp II in such a big group! :D :D :D :D :D

jazzpants
03-16-2003, 01:57 AM
First thing, I'll add my congrats to PattyP for her Interp II gold!!! (See??? I told 'ya we blessed the ice so you'll have no problem doing your program!!!) :P

Championship Masters Men and Women... all i could say is WOW OH WOW OH WOW!!! :bow:

I was Jay's "stuffed animal" tosser!!! :P (They would not know who tossed the animal, even though they knew it was from Jay...until well after the program!!!)

Women: There are a few women that really stuck out in my mind...

Elizabeth McGlauflin, who just has this form and speed and spin position that was just flowing and stuff...

Claire DiPinto: :bow: OMG!!! Gorgeous form and she's REALLY FAST!!! And she nails those jumps... There is just no comparisons to her

Master Interp: Julie Gidlow... gorgeous edges and speed!!! Not a babble on the blade that wasn't intentional!!! All those hours on school figures sure work!!! (She was on her 8th figures test, last I remembered.) And she's such a sweetheart too!!! :bow:

Last but not least: Patricia McNamara!!! She's 63 years YOUNG!!! 8O She may not be the same level as Claire but this granny sure can hold her own. Plus, unless you are close enough to see her face you wouldn't KNOW she's a granny!!! I told her afterwards that I wish I could be just like her when I'm her age!!!

Men:

Mike Dianda: WOW OH WOW!!! he did the toughest jump of the night... a double lutz!!!

Boise Ding: Edges to die for... GORGEOUS form!!! And everything is well placed where it should be to the music!!!

Kevin Anderson: (No, *NOT* the one that does the "Technical Figure Skating" website. The author of THAT website doesn't compete.) I'm so glad to have finally met him and watch him skate. Definitely can hold his own!!! I'm pretty sure I saw him do a double flip and attempted a double lutz (in practice or in the program I forgot!!!) And I like his Spidey intep!!! (I like campy programs!!!) :P

Not Masters, but something to look forward to...

Keep an eye out for Thom Mullin's Interp II program!!! Let's just say he brought the house down!!! LOL!!! :lol: (Oh, I wish I could say what it is... but I have to wait 'til AN to tell 'ya...)

dcden
03-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Whoa, the gold men result surprised me a little. I thought Nic Chou would qualify easily, as he medaled at AN last year (with two 1st place ordinals). Pacifics must be extremely competitive. And where was Rocky Ursino?

Black Sheep
03-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dcden
Whoa, the gold men result surprised me a little. I thought Nic Chou would qualify easily, as he medaled at AN last year (with two 1st place ordinals). Pacifics must be extremely competitive. And where was Rocky Ursino?

As I recall, the Pacific coast has the toughest adult skaters in the country (I mean that in a positive way, of course). I felt sorry for Karla Nikkinen, though. As last year's Gold Ladies Champion (with a double loop-double loop combo, I think I read somewhere), this year that poor lady missed the finals by one.

Black Sheep
03-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Master Interp: Julie Gidlow... gorgeous edges and speed!!! Not a babble on the blade that wasn't intentional!!! All those hours on school figures sure work!!! (She was on her 8th figures test, last I remembered.) And she's such a sweetheart too!!! :bow:

Oh, dear. I was afraid of that. I have to compete against her in Masters Interp. I @ AN. There goes my gold medal (*sigh*). I can't really whine/sigh too much, though. At least I know now I can do better than I did last year. I've come a long way, you know. ;)

jazzpants
03-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dcden

Poor Nick!!! :cry: He comes up to me afterwards and says "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I disappointed you." Nick, you're NEVER a disappointment to me!!! ;)

I don't know where Rocky is...but I can find out!!! ;)

Chris Sullivan (the 4th place person) was just absolutely wonderful. He's got wonderful speed and pacing, nice jump technique and just plain GREAT to watch!!! (Chris was my pick for the up and coming newbie!) Of course, I did enough of this :bow: when we skate together at Berzerkley anyway... :P

Black Sheep: Do your personal best!!! That in itself is something to be proud of. :)

Black Sheep
03-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Black Sheep: Do your personal best!!! That in itself is something to be proud of. :)

I know, I know--and I am very proud of how far I've come, esp. with all the work I've put into it! ;)

PattyP
03-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks Jazzpants & Black Sheep!

It was a great competition for me, I have not done well at Sectionals in the past so it felt really good to have not only one, but two good skates. Too bad Jazzpants cannot bless the ice for me at AN, it certainly worked in SF.

I had a disastrous warm-up before my FS program, I fell 3 times (axel attempts)! My coach was not happy with me, my tights were all wet from rolling around on the ice :oops: I told myself that no matter what happens, I was going to listen to my music and just enjoy the program...it seemed to work, I relaxed and skated a decent program. Always remember, a bad warm up does not mean that you will have a bad skate.

My interp program had to be one of the best skates of my life. I got into character and forgot to be nervous, now if I could only figure out how to do that in my FS program!

Unfortunately I missed the Ch. Gold & Masters events, I had to fly out that night. I'm looking forward to watching them at AN. I was bummed to see Nick's results.

PattyP

jazzpants
03-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by PattyP
Thanks Jazzpants & Black Sheep!

It was a great competition for me, I have not done well at Sectionals in the past so it felt really good to have not only one, but two good skates. Too bad Jazzpants cannot bless the ice for me at AN, it certainly worked in SF.
:D :D :D

Unfortunately my funds are low (b/c I don't have a job... anyone in the Bay Area looking for a Software Test Engineer???) :P So can't afford Ann Arbor. (Unless of course, I win the lottery...then I'll definitely be there to watch!!!) :P

I'm also far from being in "training shape" (i.e. need to lose 20 lbs) Got a lot of teasing from a lot of skaters telling me that I should have competing pre-Bronze I, including Garry... and of course, Jay!!! :P Oh, well!!! (Need to pass Bronze Moves...Need to pass Bronze Moves....)

I had a disastrous warm-up before my FS program, I fell 3 times (axel attempts)! My coach was not happy with me, my tights were all wet from rolling around on the ice :oops: I told myself that no matter what happens, I was going to listen to my music and just enjoy the program...it seemed to work, I relaxed and skated a decent program. Always remember, a bad warm up does not mean that you will have a bad skate.
(Raise hand here!!!) I always screw up my warmup...I figured that if I'm gonna screw up a program I better get all the falls, major boo-boos, etc. out of the way during warmup than to do them during the performance!!! :lol: :P Just kidding... I don't know why... but so far on tests and competitions I usually mess up in the warmup and turn up a good program (or a good test.)

Unfortunately I missed the Ch. Gold & Masters events, I had to fly out that night. I'm looking forward to watching them at AN. I was bummed to see Nick's results.
He had an off night on Sat. I was surprised since I've seen him make these jumps stick in practice and competition before. He told me he was really REALLY nervous before the competition, but that has never affected him before so...

jazzpants
03-20-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm starting to see photos from the first day of events and parts of the second day. So...

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?default?ts=0

Type in "Adult Sectionals" on the Event name to search. Click on one of the "2003 Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals" links! :D

Enjoy!!!

PattyP
03-21-2003, 01:10 PM
My personal favorite...

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=02BP00HV0B0026&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

jazzpants
03-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Patty! No fair!!! You have an unfair advantage to help you skate... a skating aid as a prop in your program!!! [1] :lol: :P BTW: I like that picture the best too!!! :lol:

[1] We have a coach that is infamously known for making students skate with a stick to do certain things, whether it's 3-turns, spins...whatever!!! (It's to keep the shoulders squared is my guess.) I know this one woman who takes lessons from both this coach and another coach. Whenever I see her practicing with the stick, I know she just recently had a lesson with this coach!!! :lol: :P

Black Sheep
03-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I see London, I see France, I see PattyP's underpants!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: