View Full Version : Question about Adult Nats

Debbie S
03-12-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm kind of new to skating, so bear with me, but I'm curious about how qualifying for Adult Nats works. Since there is such a thing as sectional competitions, I'm assuming that to go to Nats you have to qualify out of sectionals, like the kids do? How many skaters qualify in each level? Also (and this is solely for curiosity purposes since it won't apply to me), is Masters basically one level of comp for anyone who skated when they were younger and reached a higher level than the current adult levels (Juvenile, right?)? Or is it divided up into Intermediate, Novice, etc? Also, is there a pre-Bronze level at Nats, or does it start at Bronze? Lastly, I know that other comps have separate comp categories for moves and freestyle, but I'm assuming at Nats it's just freestyle?

Thanks in advance. Of course, any comp for me is a long way off - I can't even do a loop jump yet and my spins are pretty lame, but I was just wondering for future reference.

mikawendy
03-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi, Debbie!

I think there is an Open category and Masters (and also Championship Masters?). The entry guidelines for AN have more info on the events offered (I think you can find a link on Don Korte's web page). I think you have to have passed at least Bronze FS (and therefore also Bronze MIF) to participate. I think the Open category is just that; whereas you'd have to qualify at sectionals for the Masters category.

I'm guessing there's not a Pre-Bronze category because in years past there has been a large number of adults participating; adding Pre-Bronze would create a greater influx of people.

I don't think that the entries are divided based on whether you skated as a kid. (Edited to say that each level is divided into age groups.) It just goes by your current test level and/or how you did at sectionals.

But I've never been and am just writing this from memory, so if anyone else knows better, please correct/clarify me.

blue111moon
03-12-2003, 11:48 AM
The only events at Adult Nationals that must be qualified for through Sectionals are the Championship events: Championship Gold and Championship Masters. All the other events at Adult Nationals are Open to anyone who meets the test level requirements. These events are so large that they have qualifying round AT Adult Nationals: the top skaters (anywhere from 2 to 6 depending upon the number of entrants) from the qualifying rounds go into a final a round that determines the winners at each level.

Gold is a test level roughly equilient to Juv/Intermediate. Anyone who passed higher than Intermediate is autmatically in Masters, which can then be subdivided into masters Novice, Masters Junior and Masters Senior. Generally people who have passed those higher levels skated as kids.

manleywoman
03-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Lastly, I know that other comps have separate comp categories for moves and freestyle, but I'm assuming at Nats it's just freestyle?

Personally, i wish there were seperate events for MIF and Freestyle (and spin events too, like Peach Classic), but there isn't enough time. So it's just freestyle.

dcden
03-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Some clarifications:

Championship Dance is another qualify-at-sectionals event. I don't think there is currently a Championship pairs event, but there really ought to be.

Qualifying rounds at AN (for non-championship events) generally exist for Bronze and Silver Ladies, sometimes for Gold Ladies, because of the large numbers of entrants. To my knowledge, there has never been a need for a qualifying round for the non-championship events for men, pairs, or dance.

Interpretive events at AN are split up into different flights also, but these are treated as separate finals rather than qualifiers into a final round. Again, the women's interp events are almost always large enough to justify having 2 or more flights, while I've only seen the Class II men's interp event split up.

manleywoman
03-12-2003, 01:34 PM
dcden...i think there is a Champ. Pairss event normally, but this year there were no entries. Believe it or not!

flo
03-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Intersting - I don't remember a championship paris event. We competed in masters, and didn't know of one in sectionals!
There use to be a qualifing and final round for interpretive but unfortunately it was done away with a few years ago.

skaternum
03-12-2003, 08:27 PM
The pairs are divided into 2 events: Masters and Adults. There isn't a Championship pairs event.

Debbie S
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone, for responding to my questions. In my practice yesterday, I came pretty close to cleanly landing a loop, and my sit spin feels lower than it did last week, so maybe competition isn't too far off for me. Now, I just have to work on those darned alternating 3s to be able to pass pre-Bronze moves.

Elsy2
03-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Debbie S.

I competed pre-bronze long before I tested. Many local comps. will let you skate up a level, and so that qualifies you to compete pre-bronze if you like, even if you haven't tested yet. Each comp. is different, so check the application carefully. (You cannot skate up at Adult Nationals, and there is no Pre-bronze events there.)

blue111moon
03-14-2003, 09:44 AM
My club open has beginner (no-test) adult free skating as well as Pre-Bronze Freeskating and Individual Compulsory moves. A lot of the adults in ICM haven't tested. We also added Restricted Freestyle at all levels for people who want to try out test programs in front of judges before testing them.

So check those announcements!