View Full Version : Competition with Adult Events

sktngmom
03-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Just wanted to pass on some information about an upcoming competition. The 2003 White Rose Invitational will be held in York, Pa May 9-11. We have added lots of new events including showcase, jumps, and spins.

While we have always had adult competitors, we would love to see more adults enter this year. We have added Adult categories for most of the events including Artistic, showcase, jumps, spins, and of course we will have adult freestyle.

Deadline for entries is March 27th. More information and an application are available on our website at www.wrfsc.org.

flo
03-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi,
White Rose use to be my home club. It would be interesting to skate in the new rink.
If you are having adult events, why is it artistic/showcase rather than interpretive? Interpretive is the adult category, is artistic/showcase the kids?
Thanks,

blue111moon
03-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I can't answer for the White Rose people, but I know that in my club open, we had so much confusion over the use of the word "interpretive" that we switched to "showcase" for all level, kids and adults, even though the adult portion conforms to Adult Nationals Interpretive rules. Tou have no idea how many kids signed up for "Adult Interpretive" year after year. A lot of people don't read the announcements. Showcase is pretty clear.

sktngmom
03-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by flo
Hi,
White Rose use to be my home club. It would be interesting to skate in the new rink.
If you are having adult events, why is it artistic/showcase rather than interpretive? Interpretive is the adult category, is artistic/showcase the kids?
Thanks,

I think what we are calling Artistic is what is called Interpretive in some adult competitions.

This is what is on the application for Artistic: Programs will be judged on artistic impression and interpretation of the music. Costumes should reflect the mood of the music. No props allowed. Male and female skaters will be combined for this event.

This is Showcase: Emphasis is placed on the illustration of the character through the music interpretation, costumes, props, and audience appeal. Props must be carried on and off the ice by the skater in one trip. No jumps higher than an axel. Male and female skaters will be combined for this event.

The major difference is that showcase allows props and Artistic does not.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Mrs Redboots
03-12-2003, 10:49 AM
That's even more confusing for me, because here in the UK "Artistic" is what you would call "Showcase", and "Interpretive" is all about interpreting the music..... oh well. The only thing is always, always, always to read the rules of every competition you enter!

sktngmom
03-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by blue111moon
I can't answer for the White Rose people, but I know that in my club open, we had so much confusion over the use of the word "interpretive" that we switched to "showcase" for all level, kids and adults, even though the adult portion conforms to Adult Nationals Interpretive rules. Tou have no idea how many kids signed up for "Adult Interpretive" year after year. A lot of people don't read the announcements. Showcase is pretty clear.

The last couple of years we had an event called Interpretive. However, it was not the same event that is done in adult competitions. At local clubs in our area Interpretive is an event where all of the skaters skate to the same music. The organizers pick the music and the skaters don't know what it is until the warm-up. I'm sure if we had listed Interpretive for the adults we would have had many confused kids signing up for it also. We decided against doing Interpretive this year and instead added some new events.

blue111moon
03-13-2003, 06:47 AM
That's exactly the confusion we had. "Showcase" in our event covers "Artistic" "Character Spotlight" - which are ISI terms around here and "Adult Interpretive" in one class of event which is then separated by skating level.

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by sktngmom
At local clubs in our area Interpretive is an event where all of the skaters skate to the same music. The organizers pick the music and the skaters don't know what it is until the warm-up. What is called, in many places, Improvisation. And great fun it is, too.

flo
03-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Much of the confusion comes from the former kids "interpretive" event which was all skaters using the same music. I did wonder why the USFSA, when creating the adult events, went with the same name. The showcase is also a kids event. When the adults began competing with USFSA set Adult levels in 95 there were still many clubs (for several years) who did not use interpretive, or even bronze,silver and gold for the adult events, but used the same kid categories and had a junior and senior for freestyle.

The current USFSA adult event is "interpretive".

sktngmom
03-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by flo
Much of the confusion comes from the former kids "interpretive" event which was all skaters using the same music.

Just wanted to clarify that the kids Interpretive is not a former event. It is still being used at local competitons in my area. Our club used it for the past two years and I know there are many other club competitions that still hold this event.

We added adult levels for our artisic and showcase at the request of several adult skaters. However, since some adult skaters are saying we should be using Interpretive instead, we will look into it before next year's competition. Can someone tell me where to find the regulations for Adult Interpretive?

Please check out the application at www.wrfsc.org and let me know what you think of the other adult events, such as freestyle, jumps, and spins. Do they seem appropriate?

Thanks for your comments and advice.

flo
03-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi,
You're right, it is still a current event. The best place is the Adult Nationals Announcement. It's also not just that the names of the events are different, but also the times. Many of the artistic/showcase times for the kids are 2min, while the adult time is 1:30. It's great that you're interested in using the adult events - I know it takes more work and it's appreciated. Perhaps the adult eent name would be changed if the USFSA knew how much confusion it has caused.