View Full Version : Need help with withdrawals after skating

Bella
03-10-2003, 05:41 PM
I started skating 7 years ago, and really loved it at first. I wanted to do nothing more than skate. Eventually, I started wanting the jumps, and it took me over 2 years to get the axel and then the doubles. I eventually began landing all the doubles, but last year (01/02 season) was pretty tough. I had a terrible coach, I was losing confidence and my whole happiness was dictated by how well I did at practice. I had to take a break from it for awhile, and when I came back, I got a new coach and re-discovered the joy in skating. I passed a very important test, and then this past fall I began skating at a new club with new coaches (because my family moved). I skated for 2 months, and then I just got tired of it. I was tired of doing the doubles over and over again. I wasn't shooting for triples, so there wasn't anything more to try and learn jump-wise. I was happy for awhile, but eventually I just didn't want to do it anymore. I was completely satisfied with everything I accomplished. So I stopped skating. I felt really relieved and happy for the first month or so after. I definitely don't want to go back to training like I used to, but I miss having the feeling of skating, and that creativity. I miss having a passion like skating. Plus, I've gained a little over 20 lbs since I quit. I'm looking for anyone who's been through the same thing, like withdrawals, or anything I've experienced.

Does anyone have any ideas to contribute back to this? Thanks for any help.

kayskate
03-10-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm an adult skater, so I am in a different positions from you in terms of achievement. I tried doubles and axels and really could not get very far. That was okay, b/c there is so much to learn . I don't know how advanced your doubles are, but IMO, any skating skill can always be improved. I could skate for the next ten yrs and do nothing but make my waltz jump bigger. Since I hit a roadblock w/ jumps, I took up dance and am really enjoying it. If you are skating for exercise and recreation, you can explore whatever interests you. Skating is so limitless. Jumps are not the only challenge.

Kay

anital
03-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Bella,

I understand completely! I started skating when I was six, did the littlies skating tests and was happy skating and doing the little comps. Then a girl put cream in my boots. :( I was 8 and stopped competing (not that I was doing much!!) but kept skating and got where I was happy with.

Then when I was 18 I had a stroke. I couldn't walk, let alone skate and I had a while off the ice. I went back half heartedly once I had recovered, but wasn't patient enough, I had to relearn everything again and just frustrated myself more. I had a relapse (mini-stroke) and then went back AGAIN, which was about 6 months ago.

I got a great coach and have my heart in it fully again, unlike you Bella, I have learn things all over again, the third time. I have the basic skating back, forwards and backwards crossovers, edges, three turn, three jump, mohawk, tap-toe and a one foot spin. Back edges are there but not brilliant, edges can always better anyway.

Jumps can always be higher, spins can be faster....once you have them, then you work on perfecting them, that takes a lifetime! I think striving for perfection is great, but learn to be happy with the little things, put what you have (whatever that is, doubles or basics) together in different ways to different music, get creative and artistic. And be grateful, you could loose it all tomorrow. :)

Another suggestion is to have a stuff around session once a week. Every Saturday after my lesson session, I have "stuff around" session, I muck around putting different elements together in different ways to different musics. Put the fun back into skating for yourself. It really is my passion and I've had to go through a lot to work that out. I agree 100% with kayskate, skating is limitless.

Figureskates
03-11-2003, 06:04 AM
Anital, thank you for the inspiration.

After reading your post, my cranky left knee isn't important anymore.

If you can do what you are doing after three setbacks, I think I can
put up with my very minor setbacks.

Thanks again.

melanieuk
03-11-2003, 08:06 AM
All I can say is, that as an adult skater who quit as a child, it has been the biggest regret of my life. (yes, not even marrying my children's father comes close!)

Skate for the fun and exercise.
Don't give up on your passion, or you'll find that when you hit 30 and want to return to skating, it will be so much more difficult by then! ;)

Elsy2
03-11-2003, 08:25 AM
I have given up on many activities and sports over the years, and agree that initially it is a relief, and then comes regret for not staying with it. If you wait too long, it's tough to go back.

Perhaps a change of focus on the ice may help? Would you find it fun to do an interpretive or showcase program? Thinking of a theme, finding the music and costuming and some lovely vamping on the ice could be just the ticket to spark a little fun.

I've had alot of little injuries that have prevented competing and really any progress at all. Sometimes I just give up on the freestyle and start ice dancing. It's a whole different feeling and I find it soothing. Once in awhile my coach will try to teach me figures. She gets a good laugh, and I get a change of pace.

Mostly I enjoy just being with my friends on the ice, and so the goal is exercise and a few laughs. I suppose your motivation has to come from within, but know that you are not alone in feeling the way you do!

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2003, 08:29 AM
How about ice dance? Quite a different sort of skating, but the transition isn't too difficult! And then you can enjoy it for the social side of things, and dance for fun - no need to test or compete unless you want to.

Bella
03-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone, for your ideas and inspiration. I'm not with the club here anymore, so I can't really go back and practice. There are some public skating sessions, but those can get kinda crowded and people aren't there to figure skating. The other thing here was that it was the first time skating with a new club, and I missed the familiarity and friends from my old one.

But I am going away to university in the fall, and the one I want to go to does have a figure skating program, so I'm thinking about trying that out again and see how it goes!

With regards to dance, I have passed all the dances but 4 gold ones left. I'd really like to some day pass them all (I do know the steps to them), so working on them may be a good thing again. But I definitely enjoy freestyle more than dance!

Well, thanks again everyone.
Bella

Elsy2
03-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Maybe your University has synchro? With your dance background, you'd be great, and would meet lots of friends too. Good luck!

Alexeiskate
03-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I was in the same boat. I used to thought that I could never stop skating and lessons daily. I would skate regardless if I was sick or it there was a snow storm outside. But then I got to a point where I was extremely frustrated because I had hit a wall. For myself I realized that I wasn't going to get some of my jumps back regardless of the time and money I was putting into it. Plus I also felt that my coach was paying more attention to his competitive students, and it was also becoming a grind getting up early everyday. So I stopped lessons, telling myself that it was time to move on. I began skating only 2-3 times a week on my own then it got down to 1 time a week and now only occasionally. I also joined a gym to keep myself in shape. It was hard at first but as the weeks pass, I got used to not thinking about skating so much. Now I can concentrate my energy into pursuing other interests that were put on the back burner because of skating.

My advice is to pursue other interests, hobbies ... If you still want to skate then skate because you really want to be on the ice. And take some time skating by yourself and for yourself. Whenever you step on the ice now, just enjoy the experience and be proud of what you can do instead of putting pressure on yourself to do more.

utopia
03-12-2003, 12:04 PM
I "quit" after about 9 years of skating - not really intending to...it just happened. and yet again, I started back up again last summer, but found I lacked the motivation to do it. I wanted to, but there was nothing to encourage me. but I moved away to university and took another semester off of skating. but like you, I missed the creative outlet (I am heavily involved in off-ice dance, but it just didn't fill the void) and feeling of being on the ice. so I gathered up enough courage to start skating again. and now I am back, I have a dance partner, and it feels wonderful to be back on the ice. obviously my case is individual, but somehow I found that being at uni gave me a different outlook on my skating. not less serious - in fact I feel more serious and committed to my skating than I have in years. but just...different. so my advice is, if you are going to university (and especially if it has a skating program, like you said) try it again. but don't force yourself to skate if you're not happy when you're on the ice. good luck!:D

luna_skater
03-13-2003, 10:21 PM
You should definitely give synchro a shot, if there is a team in your area. I've been doing it competitively for eleven years, and it has been absolutely invaluable to me. There is a good team directory at www.worldsynchro.com (http://www.worldsynchro.com). You might be able to find out there if there is a team in your area.

Chico
03-13-2003, 10:58 PM
The thing I love about skating is that I feel like I have an endless list of skills to learn. The very idea that you feel like your done is hard for me to comprehend. You talked about jumps, maybe you need to focus on footwork. Like Kay mentioned ice dance could spark your interest. Something new, different, and challenging. Working with a partner could fun. Maybe skate less. The daily grind could make you tired. Syncro also was a good idea. The team aspect, friends, could make things fun again. Listen to your heaart, it knows what the answer is.

Chico

dooobedooo
03-14-2003, 01:57 AM
deleted

Bella
03-14-2003, 10:42 PM
I don't really feel like I'd enjoy Synchro...being with a whole bunch of nice people sounds great, but I really like to glide and feel the freedom without holding on with alot of other people. I have always wanted to skate pairs, but there's never been any opportunities. I would love just to do a few elements one day with a pair skater just for fun!

I do believe that there are ALWAYS things to improve on, that's for sure, but I don't know, I just felt like learning the tough jumps were over. Consistency definitely takes a ton of practice, but I just got tired of doing the jumps over and over again. I'm definitely going to check out the skating program next year. If it's possible to skate recreationally, then I'll probably do that.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. Utopia, you mentioned you were involved in off-ice dance. I took ballet when I was little for a bit, and have taken some dance classes since that have coincided with skating programs, but haven't taken any for 3-4 years now. I absolutely LOVE dance and ballet, so that is another interest I could pursue-thanks for reminding me about that! I agree that it definitely isn't the same as flying like skating, but it still is creativity.

Bella

kayskate
03-15-2003, 06:03 AM
[i]Originally posted by Bella

I would love just to do a few elements one day with a pair skater just for fun!

I know plenty of girls (and adults as well) who take pair lessons though they do not have permanent partners. A couple of the young women I know are interested in coaching and are taking pairs to broaden their skills. They only do pairs w/ the coach. You could give it a try. It might renew your interest. Who knows? You might also find a partner. There are pair competitions for adults.

Kay