View Full Version : double walleys?

mikawendy
03-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Has anyone here ever done or tried :D a double walley or a double toe walley? I've only ever seen single walleys as part of footwork sequences on TV.

Debbie S
03-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Mika,

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think a 'toe walley", as mentioned on TV, refers to a toe loop that is done from a walley entrance, which I think is a FO turn on the left foot (for CCW jumpers), then placing the right foot on the ice and picking back with the left foot. A standard entrance is a FI turn with the right foot (CCW) and a reach back and pick with the left foot - this is the one you learn when you start doing the jump - it's used by Sarah H. (opposite feet, of course) and Kristi Y. The so-called walley entrance is used by MK and Todd E. (also w/ opp feet).

Of course, I could have completely misunderstood some TV commentators - anybody who knows this is wrong can feel free to correct me.

Elsy2
03-08-2003, 09:36 PM
A toe walley differs from a toe loop by it's entrance edge. The take off is from an inside edge instead of the toe loop's outside edge. How you decide to get to that inside edge take off is a matter of choice. So, Debbie, you are right that both the walley and toe walley have the same entrance (inside edge).... Many skaters will do walleys from back power pulls to put them on a strong inside edge.

I have never seen a double walley by the way....how about the rest of you?

Spinner
03-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
Yup. Alexander Fadeev in the early 90's at a pro comp. I had to rewind the tape a few times, but it was a double walley. Couldn't believe it! It is IMMENSELY hard, probably as hard as any triple.

And regarding toe walley/toe loop....technically they're different jumps because of the opposing edges from which they take off, but often commentators call a toe loop a toe walley because of the toe walley entrance into it. It still takes off the back outside edge making it a toe loop, but the LFO3 w/change of foot entrance is typical of the toe walley.

rinkrat24/7
03-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2

My coach used to be able to do them.

Raine
03-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Colin VanderVeen did one at 1993 Nationals as part of a footwork sequence. His program was shown during ABC's broadcast, so if you have it on tape, it's worth a look. It's such a cool move; it would be nice in a jump combination, too.

Cheers,
Raine

Michigansk8er
03-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Wow, I'd love to see a double walley. I've heard they are rare. I can understand why. I can't for the life of me get a walley. I've tried zillions of times and I'm totally walley challenged.

Toe walleys are common however. Spinner is right in that the commentators often call a toe walley a toe loop. The entrance, as I was taught it, is like the setup to a flip. Instead of toeing off the right foot after the 3, however, the skater steps onto a right inside edge and toes off the left foot. Hope that makes sense. Watch some of the elite skaters........you will see it often.

Spinner
03-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
Watch some of the elite skaters........you will see it often.
True, but I think I can safely say that nearly all of them take off the BO edge, therefore doing a toe loop. Some skaters just prefer the toe walley entrance into doing an actual toe loop. For them, the rhythm just feels better than the RFI3 entrance into a toe loop. Either way, as long as they get up in the air, rotate and land correctly I guess it doesn't matter. ;)

kayskate
03-10-2003, 07:05 AM
I have heard that toe walleys and walleys count as the same jump in competition b/c the only difference is actually the entrance. No one does a real toe walley that takes off from a BI edge. I wonder if someone actually did a real toe walley if it would count as another triple.

Is there any incentive for skaters to do double walleys? Would it improve their tech mark? It seems the focus is on triples and quads. A 2walley would just get lost. A 3walley would obviously be a different case.

Kay

sk8ing is lyfe
03-15-2003, 09:35 PM
i can do a 2walley... ive done it only once... but it still counts...

i can also do a 2inside axel...

ive seen triple tho !!!!!

sk8ing is lyfe
03-15-2003, 09:39 PM
o b4 i 4get, i used to know this skater around jr. level.... she did a walley 2walley and then stepped into 3sal.... it was amazing and covered the ice end to end diagonally!!!!

just thought id share that

love2sk8
03-16-2003, 09:15 AM
I can also do a double walley, and double inside axel...

Also seen triple walley and inside axel!

kayskate
03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
So if the 2walley (and 3walley) are out there as well as a 2inside axel, why don't we see them in elite competition? I would think the pressure to add more tech content to programs would encourage elite skaters down this path. Or is the emphasis on quads only for men and 3-3s for ladies?

Kay

love2sk8
03-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Most skaters put the double walleys or inside axels either in footwork, in the middle of a jump series, or leading into a jump...you won't really see these elements by themselves, as skaters include triples and quads as highlights, and not the walleys or i-axels..

So to answer the question, the emphasis is mostly on the quads and triples...the other stuff is just extra, used as in-betweens or fillers!

~Hope this helps;)

sk8ing is lyfe
03-16-2003, 08:22 PM
I would really like to know... is there anything Shawn Saywer cant do???

I've seen him do 3walleys and 3i-axels too... is what you are talking about Love2sk8 the same person???

love2sk8
03-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Well, one of the people I have seen do a triple walley or 3 i-axel is Shawn Sawyer...also Fedor. I'm sure a lot of skaters can do them, but we just don't see it.

And nope, I dont think theres anything Shawn can't do!;)

Skatingsarah
03-16-2003, 09:15 PM
I second that love2sk8! There is NOTHING he cant do! I'm not worthy ;)
-Sarah