View Full Version : Out of control skate mom

Luenatic
03-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I know there is nothing we can do about it, I just want to vent my anger here a bit. There was a sweet little kid (9 or 10 years old boy) practicing on the ice. His mother was constantly yelling at him while he's practicing. "You're not trying...", "The reason why you can't do it, it's because you're not trying hard enough...". On and on for more than an hour.

During ice-cut, she had him doing a spiral (well, beginner position, if you know what I mean) on the floor with skate guards on. And of course, it's not humanly possible. But guess what. She was doing it with her sneakers on and said to her son, "See, I can do it and I am fat. You can't do it because you're not trying". (I want to laugh out loud on that one. But I just turned away and laugh with other skaters.)

She constantly gave him advice on what to do and how to do it. And of course, her advice was totally wrong. He was doing back crossover. Can you believe what she said? She said, "you can't do it because you bend your ankle". Now, how can you skate without bending your knees and ankles? :roll:

The boy was crying on the ice while he's forced to practice. How humiliating. Has she got no shamed? After more than an hour of this drama. She asked the boy to do waltz jumps. That poor thing. He's already exhausted and where in the world could he possibly get any strength left to do 10 minutes of waltz jumps? And of course, her words of wisdom was "if you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough....".

Can you believe this? It made us so mad and I wanna go over and slap her silly.

We're just shaking our heads. It's like watching a train wreck right in front of you in full speed.

Oh well. I just feel so sorry for the boy. He's gonna love figure skating now, for sure.

Venting over.

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Luenatic
"See, I can do it and I am fat. You can't do it because you're not trying."

I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, for I've nothing against people of size per se, but has anyone here besides me ever noticed that a lot of pushy skating moms are fat, while their skating kids are skinny?

Flatfoote
03-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, for I've nothing against people of size per se, but has anyone here besides me ever noticed that a lot of pushy skating moms are fat, while their skating kids are skinny?

Actually, I've noticed a lot of "fat moms" in both skating and gymnastics. Don't know about them being pushy or not. I just happened to notice it when the TV cameras show somebody's mom in the audience.

BTW, I am fat. No offense taken.

backspin
03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Some clubs and/or rinks have a "no parents coaching from the sidelines" policy, which I applaud loudly while standing on tip-toes and cheering! If the child has a coach, I'd say it was the coach's place to ask the mom to back off, or at least explain that the things she's telling him are wrong. If he doesn't have a coach (or group lesson teacher), unfortunately the poor thing is probably out of luck!

I'd be very kind & encouraging to him, & try to make him feel he's not all alone out there.

We had the skate mom from h*** in our area for awhile--very talented child, very pushy mom, very verbally abusive, sometimes throwing things or slapping at the child. The mom was actually banned from several rinks in the area. They've now moved away, but I know the girl is still skating. I felt so awful for her, we all tried to pay her lots of compliments & cheer her up, she would get so upset.

It's so tough. I personally wish parents were not allowed near the ice during practice time. (or at least within communicating distance)

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Flatfoote
Actually, I've noticed a lot of "fat moms" in both skating and gymnastics. Don't know about them being pushy or not. I just happened to notice it when the TV cameras show somebody's mom in the audience.

I'm sure there must be skinny moms who are pushy.

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm sure there must be thin moms who are pushy.

gardana
03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
This mom sounds awful, I feel very sorry for her kid who has to put up with her. Give him a lot of compliments for his skating, maybe that will shut the mom up.

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 07:09 PM
When I teach at my local rink, we tell parents to stay out of the hockey boxes and go sit in the bleachers (behind the Plexiglas) because parents hanging around so close while we're trying to teach is highly distracting.

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Look at the good poem I found!:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/2513/ice/skatemom.htm

skaternum
03-04-2003, 09:01 PM
That's a great poem! I'm taking it to the rink tomorrow.

candace
03-04-2003, 09:30 PM
I feel so bad for this boy, he will never want to compete with his mom around. Maybe, his coach shoould talk to his mom about the way she is acting and telling her son what to do. Maybe someone should mention something to his coach about what she is doing when the coach is not around. He will not like skating soon. And he will start rebel on his mother.

rjblue
03-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Our coaches only pay attention to the kids they are in lessons with, and the rest just fool around most of the time. If a few of the parents didn't try to keep the kids moving and away from hanging around the boards, they would only skate 30 minutes out of 2 hours. I wish the coaches were stricter, but they feel the kids are there for "fun". After 10 years rinkside I've never seen one of these "pushy" parents. I have, however, seen a lot of parents freaked out over coaching bills. :D :D

garyc254
03-04-2003, 10:07 PM
There's a fine line between a parent helping and hurting a young athlete. Motivation can be applied positively or negatively. In my experience at rinkside, most parents are encouraging and will only challenge their children, but there are always a few.

I know one boy that skates at a fairly high competitive level. His mother is a nightmare at rinkside. However, she doesn't know how to skate. The boy will practice hard at her direction to a point, then will ignore her rantings and do what he wants. He knows she can't reach him on the ice. She'll blast him when he finally gets off the ice, but he's learned to just walk away and ignore her. My guess is that in a few years she won't be hearing from him on Mother's Day.

I have to laugh at a few parents sometimes, particularly those who've never strapped on a pair of skates. One mother (yes, this one was fat) who has never skated signed her daughter up for a synchro team. Within a few weeks, the mother was trying to tell the team coach how to fix problems with a travelling circle.

My suggestion to all parents of skaters is "go try it yourself". Until you've been on the ice and tried a few moves, don't think you know how it should be done.

Black Sheep, the poem was beautiful. I've already forwarded it to several skating mom's I know.

I wonder if my mom will feel that way? Of course, I'm 49 and only been skating for 1-1/2 years. My mom's never seen me skate. :lol:

BABYSKATES
03-05-2003, 12:41 AM
The poem is sweet, Black sheep! Thanks for posting the link!

There's usually someone at every rink who qualifies as a skating parent from...you know where! The rink management should talk to her about disturbing the recreational environment. We adults hate to see that kind of behavior but worse than that is how it ruins things for our kids. The rink is paradise for my daughter. She's not there to hear some parent going off on their child.

Maybe it would help if that mom could be distracted from her fixation on her child. If I'm getting irritated, (Oh yes, my angel has her days where she pushes my buttons) I know it's time to refresh those old friendships with my fellow moms, read my book or take a walk. It's hazardous to just sit and watch every single move and every minute of every lesson. You lose perspective and it's hard to see anything but dramatic, sudden progress.

thumbyskates
03-05-2003, 12:51 AM
Hehe. The lady who wrote that poem used to have a son skate out of my club. He doesn't skate anymore...but he went to nationals a couple times. That poem has been in every single Carnival program since I can remember!!!

Kortney

dooobedooo
03-05-2003, 04:08 AM

I don't think they start off fat; in fact, some of them have a go at skating as an adult in their early days and pack in. No, the fat layer builds up gradually over all those long years of early mornings, sitting in freezing cold rinks watching their offspring practise - they need the insulation.... :lol:

icenut84
03-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Maybe a high-up skater (eg. one who is skating at a higher level than her son) should go and strike up a casual conversation with the mother (when she's not yelling at her son), and remark what a good skater he is/what good technique he has (especially on something she's been berating him for, if she's the one who's wrong). If she hears it from a skater she knows to be high level, maybe she'll believe it, that in fact her son must be doing it right. (eg. "Is that your son in the blue? I've seen him before, he's getting very good isn't he? Those crossovers are really coming along, he's getting very good ankle bend. It took me ages to achieve that.") You get the drift. :) That might work, or make her realise she's wrong without someone shouting at her and possibly making it worse, or making her think they're interfering.

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2003, 06:34 AM
I shall quote a T-shirt I once owned:

If more mothers skated, there'd be fewer skating mothers!

Oh, and I'm extremely fat and I skate, and I nag my husband! :) Mind you, he nags me..... :roll:

Clarice
03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
[B]I shall quote a T-shirt I once owned:

If more mothers skated, there'd be fewer skating mothers!

LOL! I'm both kinds of "skating mother" - the mother of a skater, and a mother who skates! I completely agree, though (and wish I had one of those T-shirts myself). We have a couple of moms at our rink who coach their kids relentlessly, but have never skated themselves. I know my perspective is very different than theirs. They don't realize that something that "looks" so easy can, in fact, be very difficult. I KNOW how hard it is to do things, so I never cease to be amazed by my daughter's accomplishments. (But that doesn't mean I don't get on her case when she's doing more socializing than skating! ;) )

JDC1
03-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Poor thing. Good thing she's not at my rink because I'd walk right up to her and tell her what I think, I blame this habit on my pushy little German mother. :-)

We don't have really have any skate mom's from hell but there is one VERY talented child skater whose mother is also VERY talented and coaches and when she tries to coach her own kid...sometimes it's pretty embarassing but nothing abusive or destructive and she seems to catch on because she'll just abort the lesson and leave her kid alone.

THEN we have the skate moms who coach their little ones and give TERRIBLE advice and skate around with the Barbie boom box...oy..don't get me started.

I have noticed and inordinate amount of fat skate moms too and I think it is in part because they spend so much time on their childs interest and not enough time focusing on their own needs but I do see more and more mothers AND fathers learning to skate in their 30's and 40's because their kids want to skate and I LOVE that!!

Figureskates
03-05-2003, 08:41 AM
My niece is very fortunate, her mom just let's her do her thing.

My niece doesn't want her to watch when she has lessons which she honors. On the other hand, my niece thinks its cool that while she is having her lesson at one end of the rink that I am at the other end practicing. We do this quite a bit since she comes to my rink every other week to have a lesson with my coach.

I have seen a few "skate moms" at my rink and the only word I have for it, "embarasing".

vesperholly
03-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
I don't think they start off fat; in fact, some of them have a go at skating as an adult in their early days and pack in. No, the fat layer builds up gradually over all those long years of early mornings, sitting in freezing cold rinks watching their offspring practise - they need the insulation.... :lol:

I don't give my rink management credit for many things, but one of the most ingenious things they have done thusfar is put a division of the Buffalo Athletic Club on the second floor of the facility. There are big windows on either side where you can watch either the Olympic Rink or Rink 2 (there are 4 total) depending on what machine you're working out on. Three or four of the moms get their kids on the ice at 6:30am, then go and work out for an hour. This way they can keep tabs on their kid and do something constructive as well instead of gossiping or politicking.

Burn fat instead of gossiping! I love it.

Jocelyn

quarkiki2
03-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm not a skating mom, but I am a fat skating wife! Whenever dear hubby and I practice together I always remind him to bend his knees! He skates about on stork-stiff legs and I'm just worried he's going to hurt himself. Especially because he's somewhat of a daredevil and he practices elements he hasn't really learned, for example, forward outside spirals. Did you know that falling from that position makes a really, really loud thump and a huge bruise on your hip? He does!

Jocelyn, what a terrific idea for your rink. I'd go to the gym every day if I could watch skaters train while I'm working out! Instead, at the college's fieldhouse I get the track team practicing and then I feel like a complete dolt plodding along and getting passed, so I go home.

arena_gal
03-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Back to the original post:

You know what? I read that here's a boy about 9 or 10 doing waltz jumps, really, truly and this is harsh, he's not going anywhere in skating but would probably be a recreational skater if allowed to be.

Someone, preferably a board member who has seen the mothers behaviour, should talk to the child's coach and get a feel of the coach/parent/skater relationship. The coach should tell the mother to back off and then the board can back up the coach by having a "no coaching over the boards" policy.

We had one of these this year and that's how it worked, the parents are intense and involved in all their children's activities. The child is very talented. We had to be extremely blunt - with the coach too.

However, not allowing coaching from the boards is not the same as show and tell. We have a number of skaters who go over to the rink entrance, where parents usually hang out and will show off for mom or dad "look what I just learned". That's different and it's really precious, they're all excited.

Skatewind
03-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Don't even get me started on this subject. The thread will turn into 4 pages just from my post alone. I can say, though, from personal experience over many years that the most horrid of skating parents come in all shapes & sizes. Beware! 8-)

manleywoman
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
I don't give my rink management credit for many things, but one of the most ingenious things they have done thusfar is put a division of the Buffalo Athletic Club on the second floor of the facility. There are big windows on either side where you can watch either the Olympic Rink or Rink 2 (there are 4 total) depending on what machine you're working out on. Three or four of the moms get their kids on the ice at 6:30am, then go and work out for an hour. This way they can keep tabs on their kid and do something constructive as well instead of gossiping or politicking.

We have this at my old rink too, and the mothers (mostly fat) STILL choose to sit and gossip rather than do something constructive.

jazzpants
03-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by manleywoman
We have this at my old rink too, and the mothers (mostly fat) STILL choose to sit and gossip rather than do something constructive.
Of course, if all the skating moms go out there to skate, there wouldn't be enough room for the skating kids to skate!!! :P :lol:

At my home rink, skating mom (and dads) comes in all shapes, sizes and demeanors. Most of them are very nice parents. Some... ummm... :roll: Of course, I went to another rink and there's your usually group of gossiping skating parents...mostly moms... some fat, but a lot of them are very glamourous, slim, etc. (Can you say "Mommy Dearest?") I try to spend as little time as possible at that rink at the time that they show up b/c I'm not sure they can take the comments I give them...as an adult skater!!!

I've had one mom who was afraid of learning how to skate when I asked her why she's not skating. We've worked out a compromise where she learns to skate just enough to be able to get around the rink to get to her daughters on the ice. (Sorta something to help her duties as a skating mom...) ;) This one is a nice skating mom though... the kids skate b/c they want to, not b/c they HAVE to. And no she has not caught AOSS yet!!! :lol:

I've also have the case of overachieving skating moms who asked "Why can't my daughter skate like THAT???" (Pointing to some kid doing axels and gorgeous layback spins.) I have to sit with them for a while to talk about what the kids have to learn to do and why certain "tricks" are harder for them and often take years to get. Dunno if what I've said will sink in, but if it doesn't I will repeat it 'til they GET IT!!! :twisted:

dbny
03-05-2003, 07:05 PM
The first club my daughter belonged to had the snottiest, nastiest, snobbiest bunch of skating moms ever. When we left and joined our current club, we found a great bunch of moms and dads with no delusions about their darlings, and a great desire to be supportive of their kids and of each other. We did get one mom who was merciless with her 8 yr old son. This poor child finally broke his arm over the summer, and shortly after it had healed and he had returned to skating, broke it again, neither time on the ice. I suspected he had found a way to get out from under her....you never know.

tazsk8s
03-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Clarice
LOL! I'm both kinds of "skating mother" - the mother of a skater, and a mother who skates! I completely agree, though (and wish I had one of those T-shirts myself). We have a couple of moms at our rink who coach their kids relentlessly, but have never skated themselves. I know my perspective is very different than theirs. They don't realize that something that "looks" so easy can, in fact, be very difficult. I KNOW how hard it is to do things, so I never cease to be amazed by my daughter's accomplishments. (But that doesn't mean I don't get on her case when she's doing more socializing than skating! ;) )

Ditto, all of the above. I have to say, most of the skate parents at our rink are lovely people and very supportive of their kids, other people's kids, and me and the small handful of other adult skaters. We do have our couple of token skate-moms-from-beyond who have no clue as to how hard it really is to do this stuff or how competitive the sport is. We do our best to avoid them, and their offspring. Doesn't always work but it makes our lives more pleasant most of the time.

Taz Jr. and I skate most of the same sessions these days, just due to time constraints. I really have to make a conscious effort to butt out and will confess that it doesn't always quite happen. The only time she gets in "trouble" from me is over attitude - she's 11 and sometimes I can see the hormones starting to take over, and she develops a 'tude for no apparent reason at all. Excessive negativity over a particular element she might be struggling with that day doesn't fly, but that isn't really different than at home. Poor kid can't win. Usually she skates different times than me during the summer, and this is a good thing. By June we really need the break from each other! It's also nice because it's a lot easier to see the improvement in her skating from one time to the next. Very hard to do when I'm on the ice for every move she makes.

Black Sheep
03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
I find the parents and kids at my local (seasonal) rink to be extremely supportive of me, especially since I'm the only adult in our annual Ice Theatre show! 8-)

rjblue
03-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by arena_gal
You know what? I read that here's a boy about 9 or 10 doing waltz jumps, really, truly and this is harsh, he's not going anywhere in skating but would probably be a recreational skater if allowed to be. Ben Ferreira didn't start skating until 12 and he's been a few places. If a boy has natural ability and is (self)motivated, it probably isn't too late at 9 or 10.

The best skaters have had a tremendous amount of support from their parents, but if the parent has to motivate the child on the ice, then they aren't going to be successful.

Chico
03-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Good grief, if that little boy is over the hill at 9 or 10 I don't stand a chance! There is nothing wrong with being a recreational skater, in fact very few skaters become someone "special" in the long run. I didn't necessarily think this was the most important goal...... I'm an adult, skating 3 years, and I'm working on landing my axel and 2 sal consistently. I most certainly don't think I'm washed up yet. I'm positive that little dude isn't. As for the mom from hell.. I have seen a few, but most are very supportive. Sometimes I think the mom/parent forgets who's really the skater. Living out THEIR dreams maybe? If this is the case THEY should give this sport a go and let their child skate and let the childs coach teach.

Chico

arena_gal
03-06-2003, 08:41 AM
but if the parent has to motivate the child on the ice, then they aren't going to be successful.

I have a son who started late into skating but he is extremely motivated, he could skate of course, in that Canadian way, do an axel on hockey skates for fun, but when he got interested in figure skating we went into it with full force with year round training. It actually doesn't matter much about his age because so few boys compete, there's no age groupings. There's other boys on the ice that just aren't into it all all but their mom's sure are, that's what I was thinking of when I posted the comment. There is no amount of hanging over the boards and yelling at your kid to point their toes or hold up their arms that will make them into a skater. They have to 1: Love to Skate and 2: Want to Excel. Talent helps but isn't the number one requirement. Okay, ballet lessons help too :)

JD
03-06-2003, 09:18 AM
quote:

but if the parent has to motivate the child on the ice, then they aren't going to be successful.

I think this motivation thing depends on whether this is an all the time thing or an occasional "clap and be excited with me" I'm feeling down kind of motivation required.

I've been reading a really, really good book called Games Girls Play, Understanding and Guiding Your Young Female Athlete, written by Dr. Silby, who was a skater herself, did the whole competitive route, and now works with figure skaters and gymnasts at elite levels.

I think every mother, at least, of a young female should read, if for no other reason than to get a free view into what your young one, or teen, is thinking....the book also talks about coaching, moods, parents-and how to support your child without turning into one of those pushy parents.

Of particular interest is the point she makes about assisting your daughters to ensure that they get the most out of their practices, the right nutritiion, sleep, support during practice, and even motivation for them is important, as long as the coach is freely doing her job and your only goal is your daughter's good mental health.

I really believe as parents there is a role for us to play in interest and support particularly when, regardless of their talent, they will have peaks and valleys, ups and downs in their development... [and their moods as they enter pre puberty and puberty]

when mine is hitting the "bump" so to speak, I often just comment that she is doing nicely, sometimes she needs a gentle reminder of the fact that its ok to move on to something fun when the jump isn't coming today, and more importantly, I always praise for doing something well, and then comment that whatever is wrong is being practiced, so I'm proud that she's sticking to it, and that it looks a little better than yesterday.

On a side note, I don't know how much weight has to do with anything ,[I'm digressing here]....but while we're on it....I'm fat now too!!...was once a size 4, I got pregnant with her -had diabetes and gained almost 70 lbs... [interesting, since the defining moments of my pregnancy was that I was starving-and couldn't eat because of the blood sugars]....its taken me 8 years and two shrinks to resolve that I'm probably not going to get under 150, because of the change in my metabolism, but thats my personal hangup...and I don't pass my issue on to my child ]...and she is teensy too, but hers is all genetic....

As for it being my dream...never in a million years....did I think I would freeze my butt in an arena, or try to structure my job to assist her schedule... or change jobs to bring in a higher income to support her training....but she has pushed and pulled us every step of the way, from first step on the ice to now training at the national centre....we actually made her wait two years to start I was so scared because she was so tiny....and we never really believed that she would pursue it....

and its terrible to say, but with all the changes/issues/judging/coaching issues that can happen in this sport....I can't imagine why anyone would choose it at all.....but this is her dream, and as her mom, I need to support her as best I can... [now getting off my soapbox and putting on the flame retardant clothing] :lol: ;)

All this being said, I've only ever seen one skate mom described as the above post , but I've seen plenty of skate dads---especially those who have coached other sports....

Michigansk8er
03-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Games Girls Play is a great book...........as is working with Dr. Silby one on one. Of course, right now I need a refresher course! It not only applies to young girls and their parents/coaches, but to us adult skaters who carry some of that baggage with us. I definitely recommend it too.

PS: Chico........we've been skating a little over 4 years now. Time is flying, eh? And no, we aren't washed up yet. Well, I might be getting there. You have some years left before you get as old as me. :D

Luenatic
03-06-2003, 12:07 PM
I won't be back to the rink for 3 weeks. But if I see it happens again in the future, I'll talk to the rink management and see if there's anything we can do. Maybe we'll skate with the kids for a while and let the mom cool down a bit.

I see lots of skating parents at the rink and almost all of them are very nice and supportive of their kids. This out of control skating mum is just an exception. I really don't want to compare them to the Hardings as I really don't know them. But being here in Portland, one can hardly not make that comparison.

icemama
03-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Just another horrified vote in the column of fat and skinny and medium, pushy skating PARENTS! We had a Dad at our rink (of medium build, and bald...if the looks are so important), who railed his daughter mercilessly. They soon moved on to a "better" rink, yet I still see him at competitions doing the same. My main comment to my daughter for these oh, so cold; oh, so expensive; oh, so delightful years has been: "Did you have fun?"

I find that those parents (and coaches) who are not whole/reasonably balanced themselves, ache to fill the holes in themselves in this most dysfunctional way. Steer clear and fulfill yourself!

Fat is everywhere in our culture and is clearly not linked to just pushy skating moms. Fat skating moms can be most nurturing, loving and accepting; as can thin and average size moms. Remember to look beyond appearance, you can lose out if you don't!

garyc254
03-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Next time "skating mom" gets out of hand, walk to the rental desk, slap down a dollar for a pair of rentals, walk back to the "skating mom", hand them to her and say "Why don't YOU get out there and show him/her."

mikawendy
03-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Chico
There is nothing wrong with being a recreational skater, in fact very few skaters become someone "special" in the long run. I didn't necessarily think this was the most important goal...... I'm an adult, skating 3 years, and I'm working on landing my axel and 2 sal consistently. I most certainly don't think I'm washed up yet.

ITA, Chico, and by the way, it IS pretty special to be able to land axels and 2sals! Think of it this way--you can do something that the majority of Americans, young or old, cannot.

Chico
03-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Michianskater,

It's four years this month. Man, it's like your age ya know. You get so used to saying 25 for your age for example that when 26 comes you can't remember your true age for months AND then when you do remember your 27! (Just for folks who don't know, I'm not 25 or 26 or....!) I don't count the first few months really as I was just out of my cast and only skating once a week. I wouldn't even say I skated...more just hobbled and winced.

I'm not landing my axel or 2 sal unless you count a two foot landing at the moment!

Chico

Chico
03-11-2003, 04:14 PM
mikawendy,

Thanks! I have goals for myself as a skater, but I've never really worried about how I compare to others at the rink. Well, sometimes my competitive side does take over. =-) On the whole I skate for very selfish reasons....all my own. I'm happy being a recreational adult skater with my own personal goals. This is my fun, challenge, and exercise. I just do my thing.

Chico

Mel On Ice
03-11-2003, 04:15 PM
way to go Chico! I'm still working on landing loops and flips consistently, not to mention attempt going into lutzes without bailing.

Leslie, I miss you! How are things?

qt_petutie
03-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by backspin
Some clubs and/or rinks have a "no parents coaching from the sidelines" policy

we have that too but umm it never works out...there are always parents gion what the heck are you doing? you're not working hard enough!! what are you doing that was totally wrong you look like an idiot etc. i feel very badly for the kids. my moms my coach so i don't know what it would be like with a mom like that that isn't supposed to correct me. but it looks horrible because the majority of the time the children come off the ice crying or are crying on the ice because they are either embarrassed or upset because they aren't making their moms (or dads) happy. it's awful to watch

Chico
03-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks Mel. =-) Just to let you know, I personally believe the lutz jump was created in hell. I hate this jump too!

Chico

clarabella
03-12-2003, 12:15 AM
luckily, my parent were never evil skating parents, they would just sit their and read unless i specificly wanted to show them something, which was really great , cos it let me get on with it. all of the other parents (the ones yelling at their kids) would say that my parents were uninvolved, but i wasn't the one crying everyday at the rink.

sk8er1964
03-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by qt_petutie
my moms my coach so i don't know what it would be like with a mom like that that isn't supposed to correct me.

qt_petutie -

That's great that you work so well with your Mom. I'll bet that it makes skating even more special for both of you. I'm sure that it keeps you close, too.

When I was a kid, and my mom coached me, we fought so much that she had to fire herself and get me another coach :D . That was ok, though, she had enough other students to keep her busy and we were still together a lot going to and from the rink.

When I was a kid, we only had one mother from **** at my rink. Her daughter was pretty good, too - advancing through the jumps at a very good rate, especially considering we were skating in the era of figures. Until she blew her knee out and ended her career - I think she was 12. Sad - if her mom had let her advance a bit slower who knows how far she could have gone.

PS - Chico & Mel - ITA about the lutz!