View Full Version : What are preliminary moves in the field, exactly?

RoaringSkates
03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
What moves are involved in preliminary moves in the field? I've tested in the ISI track, so I'm not familiar with the USFSA preliminary moves in the field. I'm an adult, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Elsy2
03-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Well you're lucky as I just happen to have a Prelim. moves test form right here...

l. Forward and Backward Crossovers - Four to eight per circle - two full figure eights are required. May be done along width or length of arena.

2. Consecutive Outside and Inside Spirals - Right and left foot spirals at approx. hip level or higher - entire length of arena, minimum four spirals each length.

3. Forward Power 3-Turns - Forward outside 3's to a balanced position followed by a backward crossover - 3 to 6 sets, length of the arena. Skaters may begin this move with either right or left foot 3-turns. Second length of 3's will be skated on opposite foot.

4. Alternating Forward 3-turns - Starting from a standing position, alternating forward outside and forward inside 3-'s performed on width of the arena.

5. Alternating Backward Crossovers to Backward Outside Edges - Alternating backward crossovers to backward outside edges in consecutive half circles around full perimeter of the arena. Backward crossovers to be skated around the end of the arena.

I left out a few instructions relating to optional introductory steps or options for steps around the ends.

Oh, it makes no difference if you are an adult and would like to test the standard track instead of the adult track. You can do both if you like.

sk8er1964
03-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
4. Alternating Forward 3-turns - Starting from a standing position, alternating forward outside and forward inside 3-'s performed on width of the arena.

I was so glad I only had to take the Adult Gold MIF's - these things are on one of the adult tests, and I don't think I'd have ever passed them. I just cannot do the darn things. Anyone else have problems with them?

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
I was so glad I only had to take the Adult Gold MIF's - these things are on one of the adult tests, and I don't think I'd have ever passed them. I just cannot do the darn things. Anyone else have problems with them? If they only have to be done on the width, you're very lucky! We have to do an entire lap of them. I haven't tried them for ages, but can sort-of do them - what I would fail on is the spirals.

Elsy2
03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Those alternating 3-turns are on the adult Pre-bronze test. My problem with them has always been checking the outside 3's and getting back to the line with enough control to step forward for the next outside 3. On the adult test, I think you are allowed to touch down the free foot at this transition, or use a stabalizing crossover before turning to start the next 3-turn. It doesn't say so on the test form, so I have to wonder if the judges will realize this is OK....We have not had any adults test moves at our club yet, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'll bet our coaches teach these the same as the way the kids do them.

Everyone whines about the spiral sequence! The inside ones are tough to control. All the parents pretty much hold their breaths in the stands when this sequence is being performed!

lisabelle
03-05-2003, 02:42 PM
the three turns were my worst move, i was so scared of doing them cause they were the iffiest part of my test. the spirals i had no problem with, but what elsy mentioned about the sequence is the same thing my coach told me.

jazzpants
03-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
Those alternating 3-turns are on the adult Pre-bronze test. My problem with them has always been checking the outside 3's and getting back to the line with enough control to step forward for the next outside 3. On the adult test, I think you are allowed to touch down the free foot at this transition, or use a stabalizing crossover before turning to start the next 3-turn. It doesn't say so on the test form, so I have to wonder if the judges will realize this is OK....We have not had any adults test moves at our club yet, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'll bet our coaches teach these the same as the way the kids do them.

Everyone whines about the spiral sequence! The inside ones are tough to control. All the parents pretty much hold their breaths in the stands when this sequence is being performed! I've seen a few pre-Bronze Moves tests. So far, NONE of the pre-Bronze Moves testers are touching down on the foot or using a stabilizing crossovers. All of them are doing it to PRELIM testing standard. Of course, this doesn't make me feel better... I've been learning from scratch and this move is a PAIN!!! :evil: But they sure help me on the power 3's, which is an even BIGGER PAIN than the 3turns!!! :P :D

Prelim Spiral: ICKY ICKY!!! :evil:

jenlyon60
03-05-2003, 03:59 PM
When I took my Pre-Bronze MIF test I didn't use the "stabilizer" crossover... I did touch down but it wasn't planned, and caused me to get a re-skate request on the alternating FO3s.

Elsy2
03-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
When I took my Pre-Bronze MIF test I didn't use the "stabilizer" crossover... I did touch down but it wasn't planned, and caused me to get a re-skate request on the alternating FO3s.

I suppose if you had put your foot down briefly prior to each 3-turn that would have been OK, but since you elected to do them without putting the foot down, your touchdown was an error and required the reskate.

I still wonder if the judges will remember that adults may elect to put the freefoot down. My coach tells me a story where the judge told her that the skater did not do a proper salchow because she entered the jump with a mohawk instead of a 3-turn.....I guess the judge was not used to seeing salchows from mohawks?

jenlyon60
03-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Yes. It was definitely grounds for a re-skate and I knew going into the test that that was my weakest move.

I didn't want to do the adaptations...my coach understands that as much as possible I want to skate "like the kids"