View Full Version : Adult Sectionals/Wyandotte: Results Anyone?

manleywoman
03-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Anyone have results on this? Thanks

Elsy2
03-02-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't really have any specific reports....but I did hear the Silver levels were very competitive, lots of axels. The bronze levels were weaker (that's good news for me...lol!) I found the participation numbers interesting:

Masters I - 2
Masters II - 2
Masters Young Adult - 3

Gold I - 5
Gold II/III - 7

Silver I - 7
Silver II - 13
Silver III - 11

Bronze I - 10
Bronze II - 6
Bronze III - 7
Bronze Young Adult - 3

Pre-Bronze I - 4
Pre-Bronze II - 4
Pre-Bonze III/IV - 2

Championship Gold Ladies - 13

I also heard the woman who won Championship Gold had 5 doubles and a huge axel. She is 40 years old.....inspiring!

sk8er1964
03-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Folks, I had put names up here, but then thought about it and didn't know if it was ok to put people's names up here. So I removed them. I have the results of the Championship Ladies events if you want to PM me for them. Or if it's ok to put them up here, post it to let me know.

According to my notes, the winner of the Championship Gold ladies had 2 axels and doubles through the loop; 2nd place had a double toe, double sal and two axel combinations; 3rd had doubles through loop; and 4th had through an axel, with gorgeous spins and beautiful extension. There were masters who did 5 doubles, but I don't remember any Golds with that many. I was quite impressed with the skating of all the ladies - this is the first time I've seen this many Gold ladies (I'd only seen 3 others before). Actually, I was very impressed with all of the skating at all of the levels I watched (I was there for most of the day - missed the Silvers in the early morning, though).

I didn't take any notes on the masters, but they really wowed everybody - myself included! The winner of the Masters men did a double axel in warm up but not in the program.

Hope that helps a bit - it was a very nice day (except that I wanted to skate so bad......:x ) and the Wyandotte FSC did an excellent job - everything was on time and I only saw one glitch (somebody's music stopped).

twinkle
03-03-2003, 06:42 AM
What's the difference between championship gold and gold?

sk8er1964
03-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by twinkle
What's the difference between championship gold and gold?

The championship gold and masters rounds were the qualifing rounds for the championship events at Nationals (i.e. Sectionals - just like the kids). There were also open events for gold and masters skaters.

To skate in the championship events you have to be either gold or masters, and have to be a US citizen and member of the USFSA per the rules. People skating in the open event could have been silvers skating up, or membes of Skate Canada (at Wyandotte, at least). Winning the open events would not advance you to Naitonals.

Hope that explains it :)

dcden
03-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Well now the results and names are available for all the events:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_results/03naopen.pdf

Championship Gold is the quallie event for the Championship competition at Nationals. If you win that event at AN, you get a different national medal than in the open events, and your name is printed in the USFSA handbook (alongside the likes of Michelle Kwan, Dick Button, the Haydenettes, etc.). The Gold event is an open event, i.e. a "stand-alone" event.

jazzpants
03-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
I didn't take any notes on the masters, but they really wowed everybody - myself included! The winner of the Masters men did a double axel in warm up but not in the program.
No triples either eh!!! BOO HISSS!!!! :P :lol:

(This is the same guy that did a triple sal-double toe at last year's AN, if I remember right?)

sk8er1964
03-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
No triples either eh!!! BOO HISSS!!!! :P :lol:

(This is the same guy that did a triple sal-double toe at last year's AN, if I remember right?)

I think so - I heard people talking around me about whether or not he'd try a triple.

BTW, I guess I could have posted names - it's all over the internet - at sk8stuff, at USFSA....;)

stillskating
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Larry Holliday is the guy who landed a triple Sal at last year's nationals. He said he hurt his knee a couple of weeks ago, so no triples this time. Maybe at nationals, though.

Anyone have notes on what the master's ladies included in their programs?

sk8er1964
03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by stillskating
Anyone have notes on what the master's ladies included in their programs?

I don't have notes on specific skaters, but several of them had doubles through lutz and flying sit spins.

Sylvia
03-03-2003, 04:53 PM
USFSA has now posted the results for Championship and Gold events at:
http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200203/adultsectionals/mids/results.htm?siteid=983

lilpairsk8ter
03-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Can anyone tell me about the adult pairs event. If you were there i would really appreciate details about the programs or even links to pics would be great. Thanks.

skaternum
03-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by lilpairsk8ter
Can anyone tell me about the adult pairs event.

I didn't see this particular event, but here are some thoughts. Check out the combined summer months' issue of Skating Magazine to read about the Adult & Masters pairs events at the last Adult Nationals. There are usually summaries of elements in the top 3 programs in each.

Here's an example of an Adult Pairs event at a recent adult comp. The elements included: 1st place: BO death spiral, throw loop, press lift, platter lift, pairs camel spin, short spiral sequence, split twist lift, 1 or 2 sbs jump combos (I forget what). 2nd place: sbs camel spins, long spiral sequence, throw waltz, loop lift, "baby doll" lift, pairs tango camel spin, 2 sbs jump combos (falling leaf-toe and loop-loop), straightline footwork sequence.

Are you interested more in Adult pairs or Masters pairs?

lilpairsk8ter
03-17-2003, 07:56 AM
skaternum your info was very helpful. I was wondering what skills adult pair teams were doing in competition. thank you

skaternum
03-17-2003, 12:10 PM
lilpairsk8ter, then you should definitely check out the Skating Magazine summer article on Adult Nationals. It gives you a good overview of what's competitive. What you'll see at the adult open comps (like Peach Classic or New Year's Adult Invitational or others) usually includes a team or two that don't enter Adult Nationals or don't consider themselves "competitive," but just like skating pairs together and putting a program together. So you'll see a wide range of skating abilities and "trick" difficulty in Adult Pairs.

Will you be joining us soon?? :)

flo
03-17-2003, 12:29 PM
lilpairskater:
I've competed in adult and master's pairs at adult nationals and have a bronze medal from adult, and a silver from masters. Our programs typically had a few of the lower level lifts (loop,lutz...) and an overhead, or overhead combination (platter to star) and a split twist. We would have a throw (loop or other throw), side by side jump combinations, a side by side combination spin, a pair combination spin, two death spirals, and lots of good edging.
It's usually the quality of what the pairs do that seperate the levels.

lilpairsk8ter
03-17-2003, 12:39 PM
thank you flo and skaternum for all of your help. unfortantly skaternum im still to young i have six years yet untel i can complete but im really looking forward to it. Rite now im lokking for a pairs partner and was just curious what skills the adult pairs are doing.

flo are you going to be competing at nationals this year? Im going to be there to watch and just wanted to wish you and everyone else the best of luck.

flo
03-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks,
I'll be competing in interpretive ladies II this year.

MidwestSkater
03-18-2003, 02:46 PM
I have the tape of the Championship Masters Ladies event. Haven't had time to watch it all yet, but will post details later. Most of the group (except 1 or 2) had attempts at all the doubles through the lutz. There were no double axel attempts this year. Definitely a strong group of competitors!

More to come...