View Full Version : Delight or disgrace: lessons/practices 2-8 March 2003

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Disgrace: Ice had not been cut after the public session on Saturday night; we were NOT pleased. It was barely useable, but, of course, nobody had bothered to tell the coaches, nor was there any notice put up to explain why. Having said that, underneath the layer of snow it was not at all bad - had it been swept, if the Zamboni has broken down, it would have been very nice. As it was..... well, the more of us who complain to New Management, the better, I think.

Delight: We are coming along slowly. The coach doesn't think we ought to compete the Swing Dance, but we don't really have a choice! I suppose we don't have to do it at the World Challenge, although we did last year and are a lot better at it now. Well, we shall see. Finally began to work out what went wrong last week with my Mohawk - I was totally behind, so got stuck. It will get there, sooner or later..... but I'm glad I don't plan to take any tests soon!

Debbie S
03-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Delight:
I tried a camel spin on my own and was able to get 1 rev. I would have gotten more but I seem to involuntarily raise my upper body and drop my leg - I think it's a reflex or something.

Sit spin started out lousy at my lesson yesterday but I was to correct it as we went along.

Worked on the alternating 3's in practice on Thursday and by the end of the session I appeared to have rediscovered my LFI turn. It's just hard to change edge, foot, and direction at the same time - I had never practiced a choctaw before, except when going into a spin. I felt like I was getting twisted around.

I'm getting my leg higher on back spirals.

Disgrace:
I still haven't gotten the hang of the loop jump. My instructor was trying to make me feel better by saying that it takes everyone a while to get it.

I seem to have lost my salchow. It was there last week! :(

icenut84
03-02-2003, 03:31 PM
This is for yesterday morning.

Delight:

Fun step sequence - LFO edge, go up onto the toe, hop to toe on other foot and drop onto RBO edge, cross left foot in front, step LBI to RFI edge, cross left foot behind on an outside edge, hop again to repeat continuously. :) Was a little scratchy for some of it but I liked it.

My freestyle lesson was good! Waltz jump was good (my coach said I had good knee bend on both takeoff and landing, which I was glad to hear!), salchow was good (spring definitely improving), toe loop fine. Loop - landed several. 8-) Flip - landed a few, including one that was very good! :mrgreen: It felt brilliant. :) Also did a waltz-toe combo, and tried waltz-loop combos. I got quite close (2 footed the loop), but it's getting there.

Spins are getting much much more consistent, especially anti-clockwise (not my jumping direction, which is clockwise). Especially the entry, although the entry isn't as good going clockwise. Still travelling a bit, but I'm spinning almost every time and maintaining balance better. 8-) We also did some on the backspin in my lesson (I'm doing it both ways, don't know which direction I'll end up best at). Slightly better, especially when I use my arms more. It's still difficult to exit on the BO edge afterwards though, without putting my other foot down first. Trying to get 1 rev with the exit going consistently.

BO3-mohawk sequence better than last week.

Disgrace:

Ugh. Some people. Near misses are inevitible in skating, aren't they? One of the coaches, when this happens, is so rude! A few weeks ago he whistled at me to get out of the way when we were both on the dance interval. For the record, I was doing the specified dance, he and the skater he was with were doing a different one to the same music. Yesterday, I saw him doing a dance with a skater and there was a kid there, so he waved his hand at him, as if to waft him out of the way! Every other coach will try to avoid the kid or use the brakes. And on the dance interval, doing the riverside rhumba (I was solo and he was with a partner), we almost collided several times. You know the bit where you do the long FO glide? We were practically skating towards each other for that, and the other steps too. My point is, I was the one who started at the right position and at the right time, and skated the right pattern. He was the one who started at a random place on the ice and at a random time. It was me who had to continually swerve to avoid them, while he looked at me like I was just getting in the way. Even a couple of weeks ago, I saw him giving a lesson and the skater was practicing a camel spin. He went to demonstrate the position... by kicking his leg up high behind him. In the middle of the ice, without looking behind him first. He almost decapitated a little kid and didn't even notice. :evil:

FO3-BI3 field moves not as good as before, although the double 3 on it's own was fine (IIRC).

Had a dicey moment when I was about to do a LFO catchfoot spiral, and as soon as I had hold of my free foot there was suddenly a little kid right in front of me! Not easy to stop when you're on one foot, holding your other foot and it comes up that suddenly. Eek.

JDC1
03-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Hadn't been on the ice since Monday, still babying my left foot and ankle.

Sat - VERY CROWDED PUBLIC SESSION.

Delight - my knee bend, sounds silly but sometimes I forget to get the nice soft knee. My waltz jumps were nice and smooth and my toe loops too.

Disgrace - Practiced the MIF sequence we're doing for the spring show and it was a tad off and choppy, the inside double 3's were weird.

Sunday - very nice free style session

Delight - improved my timing on the inside double 3's and the twizzles felt MUCH better. Actually worked on Dutch waltz, progressives getting much better, I held my body right, no dipping foward!!

Disgrace - I have the hardest time doing jumps with speed, my toe loop was SO choppy from speed, it finally became better by the end of trying it.

melanieuk
03-03-2003, 08:19 AM
I skated today for the 1st time in 12 days.
I managed to do a few lutzes, flips, camels and sit spins, but I fell on the landing of my very first jump, the loop! :roll:

I didn't get a lesson, as I was feeling my feet, but it was good to see coach and everyone.

Where should your weight be on the back camel and any tips for finding the right balance to maintain the spin?

nutty-ducky
03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
This is for yesterday morning.
Delight:
My 2-foot spin into 1-foot is getting there. I just have to remember to bring my free foot right up and hold it for as long as I can. I think I got around 3 revs in my lesson, and then I got around about 5 revs. in my practice! :D I'm so happy! My blades are really improving my spins!
I was told my Forward Inside and Outside edges were brilliant, yippee!
My forward Outside spiral is comign along, just have to remember to hold it for as long as I can. It feels good though. On my stright spirals I have to remeber to bring the arms and shoulders back coz if I don't I let the weight fall forward and then fall, I did that yesterday.
In my lesson we worked on my forward and back crossovers and they are becoming faster and I feel like they are improving.

Disgrace:
I fell doing a forward spiral (weight went too far forward), and I think I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder/neck. It feels a bit tense, but I will be able to have a break from skating as they have closed our rink for 12 days to do stuff to it so my shoulder should feel better by that time.

CanAmSk8ter
03-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by melanieuk

Where should your weight be on the back camel and any tips for finding the right balance to maintain the spin?

Back camels are hard- they were for me, anyway, and my forward camel was always pretty good. I remember the thing that helped me the most was to try and keep my weight right on my rocker. Farther up and I would hit my toepick, and farther back I would fall out of the camel.

DancinDiva
03-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Delight: Well, didn't learn anything new tonight, but I worked on the change of direction some more. I've been practicing this all week, and I'm able to do them with a lot more speed, and without losing speed as I change from foward to backward. One of my classmates told me it looked really smooth!:D And I'm doing it clockwise and counterclockwise. When I first tried this two weeks ago I came to a near standstill when trying to go in the clockwise direction, but now its almost as secure as the counterclockwise. And the more advanced adult class was doing spread eagles tonight, so I tried those when my teacher wasn't looking at me. It was fun! I only tried it on an inside edge. Maybe I'll try the outside edge tomorrow during public skate.

JDC1
03-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Had both Dance and Free style last night.

Dance -

Delightful - I CAN DO PROGRESSIVES!! Woo hoo. I'm finally doing them RIGHT. Ofcourse they can get better but I actually got the foot gliding across the ice on BOTH legs, that's been hard for me. We actually played my music for the first time and it was fun!! My coach and I did the dutch waltz with me following her and counting out and it went better than I expected.

Disgrace - hmm, the only thing I'm still wonky on is keeping my upper body working WITH my lower body not against particularly on swing rolls.

Freestyle group lesson -

Delightful - well I think I have found out what works best for me, never work on more than two jumps at once. My waltz is MUCH better I can feel it and everyone can see it, my toe loop has real spring. Haven't tried my flip in months and found still rotating all the way around but landing on two feet. Before I try and work on all my jumps (cept the axel) and I wasn't really nailing ANY of them now by focusing I'm doing much better.

Disgrace - my spins, I'm still rushing. When I practice spins this week-end ALL I will focus on is waiting until the VERY last second to bring that free leg around, if I can do this I can SPIN and have CONTROL.

tidesong
03-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Ha ha I am on cloud nine right now. I just landed two clean double salchows in practise for the first time in my life...

I just couldn't belive it, I didn't even realize I landed the jump at first, then I noticed that my free leg was not on the ice, and then I noticed that I had not fallen and I was standing up ( so surreal)

I was so excited I just screamed :)

An amazing day. And my axel is still at about 80% still working towards the 100% but it getting there.

Ha ha my coach missed the double salchow... hopefully I can repeat the feat on thursday.

Spins were pretty good, but I'm floating from the double salchow :)

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JDC1
Dance -

Delightful - I CAN DO PROGRESSIVES!! Woo hoo. I'm finally doing them RIGHT. Ofcourse they can get better but I actually got the foot gliding across the ice on BOTH legs, that's been hard for me. We actually played my music for the first time and it was fun!! My coach and I did the dutch waltz with me following her and counting out and it went better than I expected. Well done! If you can do progressives in both directions, that's really a fantastic basis for ice dance. You'll probably find you do them now in preference to crossovers - we all do.

sk8er1964
03-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by tidesong
Ha ha I am on cloud nine right now. I just landed two clean double salchows in practise for the first time in my life...

Way to go! :D :D :D :D :D

icenut84
03-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Nice one, tidesong!! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

JDC1
03-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks!! It does really feel like an accomplishment!! When I first tried them about 6 months ago they were more like crossovers and I thought how am I ever going to be able to slide my foot like my coach does and "voila" it happened. :-) When I do them right I feel so graceful I really prefer them to crossovers.

Black Sheep
03-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Other than a first-place medal from the North American Adult Open in Wyandotte (see my "Movin' On Up!" post), I also brought home a cold. As a result, I had to cancel another Wed. a.m. lesson with my coach (it's snowing like crazy anyway). :roll:

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Black Sheep, get well soon!

I had such a frustrating morning; by the time my lesson came round I was about ready to bang my head on the barrier! But by the time I left, I think I'd made progress. We worked on Mohawks, on back edges, on forward changes-of-edge, and on 3-turns round the circle (waltz 3s). All terribly frustrating, except perhaps the forward changes-of-edge..... I can't get my weight in the right place, or the timing right, or the check held, or....... Gack. Why do I persist, I wonder?

But after my lesson I found I was actually being able to skate backwards round the rink quite fast, not, perhaps, totally on edges, but quite nearly. I was told to make sure that every step I took was on an edge, and to try leaning into the edge a bit.... whether that'll happen or not I don't know.

mikawendy
03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Delight:
My tendinitis is getting much better and I was able to practice for longer and do more stuff on Saturday, including crossovers, 3 turns, mohawks, and a few spins on my okay leg. My stroking needs work!!!!

Also a delight--I got to take a Pilates master class with Ramana Kryzanowska, who teaches all the apprentices who get certified to teach. She was taught by Joe Pilates herself. She had us doing some hard stuff I've never done before, but it was great fun.

NOT SO DELIGHTFUL:
Spent all of last night in the ER because a splinter in my foot started an infection that was traveling up my ankle. The red line had moved 3 inches by the time they got to me, and I had developed a fever. I'm glad I went in last night instead of waiting until today. I'm fine now after monster antibiotics. (The good side of all this is that I didn't have to go to my 7:30 a.m. PT appointment, meaning I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get there.)

flo
03-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Mika,
Hope all is better soon!
Practiced a couple of times, and had a clean run through. Hope to get in a catnap tonight before I go to the rink!

Elsy2
03-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
NOT SO DELIGHTFUL:
Spent all of last night in the ER because a splinter in my foot started an infection that was traveling up my ankle. The red line had moved 3 inches by the time they got to me, and I had developed a fever. I'm glad I went in last night instead of waiting until today. I'm fine now after monster antibiotics. (The good side of all this is that I didn't have to go to my 7:30 a.m. PT appointment, meaning I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get there.)

That is pretty darn scary! Glad you took care of this right away, and can look on the bright side!

dbny
03-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
NOT SO DELIGHTFUL:

You were really smart to get to the ER right away and not wait till morning. Thank God antibiotics still work for most bacterial infections.

CONGRATS to tidesong, JDC1 and Black Sheep!

Disgrace
Started having negative thoughts about all kinds of things while on the way to the rink and it totally ruined my practice and lesson. I normally come out of my lessons feeling very up, even if I was down going in. This time, nothing worked. First, I slipped on an LFO during the power crossover pattern. Felt the blade go right out from under me and don't know why I didn't fall. Coach tried to help me feel better by pointing out that my recovery skills are better than I thought, but I just felt scared stiff by it. Then I did the exact same on the LBO on a crossover! Also recovered, but terribly shakey after. Couldn't spin to save my life, just too tense and kept looking down. Then I found out that they have changed the way one of the prelim patterns is done. The B crossover to BO edge is now to be done with a check position, then shoulder/arm rotation to second check, then step to next crossover. It may be easier than the old way, but at least I could do that one, and now I have to get used to it the new way.

not quite a Delight
Skated Tues morning outdoors with no particular goal except to regain some sort of good feeling about my skating, and it did somewhat work. My one foot spin is definitely on the mend and I had no slips off edges. I even managed to do the B cross strokes twice. Lousy the first time, but not bad on the second try. I did enjoy both the F and B crossovers. It's a delight to do them at that rink in the morning because there is such a feeling of wide open spaces and freedom. I'm scared to go fast there.

tidesong
03-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Hey thanks everyone :)

I landed four double salchows today. One before lesson and three during... I am still in this amazing dream world :p I still can't believe I landed them.

Learnt counters and rockers... the left backward counter and rocker are killing me...

Flying camel: got a better takeoff edge on some attempts... still three turning some of them...

flo
03-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Delight: Went skating last night and had a pretty good session. The program is getting better, and fun to skate. I'll be interested in hearing what the interpretive programs from Easterns are like.

Terri C
03-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Delightful:
Getting that 5-step mohawk, salchoh, loop jump, toe loop toe loop combo consistent! Finallly not as nervous as I was this past week- see my thread "Nerves, nerves, nerves" for more details!

Disgrace:
Getting sick and tired of practicing above jump pattern! That was the bulk of my lesson tonight!

Anyone going to CRC this weekend in Annapolis- be forewarned- unless you have a military sticker on your car, you will have to shuttle in! Security will be tight, I think!

Got to pack - will be leaving for Annapolis in the am!

melanieuk
03-07-2003, 08:41 AM
No lutzes today.
Managed the field moves - forever scratchy and patchy! :roll:
I'm just maintaining what elements I have now...not learning or progressing.
Flip-loop has no flow on the landing.

Backspin is a s non-existent as ever.
Back sit is firmly on the inside edge. Maybe I can look like Ilia Klimklin, then! :?: ;)
Back camel is only one on the outside edge, but nearly impossible to do anymore than 1 rev.

Well done to all those who are progressing. :D

batikat
03-07-2003, 04:49 PM
This is for the whole week (2 private lessons and a jumps class - lucky me!!!) When I read on this forum about those who are struggling to manage a lesson a week or even less I realise how lucky I really am to be able to skate as much as I do. Possibly my husband now regrets having encouraged me to 'find a hobby you enjoy' when we first moved here 4 years ago but I am having a great time!

Delights
Twice complimented on my free dance this week and in particular my progress compared to last years. It's so good to hear even though I know there is still enormous room for improvement.

Did a really good salchow today which felt totally effortless - lovely. Wonder if I can repeat it next time!

Actually got the feel of a loop jump - at last! Even managed to land on one foot once, though not with any flow at all but it feels like it is attainable now rather than a total mystery.

Spins - I can get 7 or 8 revs quite easily now on an upright spin but it's still traveling - not sure how to correct this.
Sit spin - managed 3 revs at least twice this week - progress!!!

Disgrace - spent far too much time gossiping and socialising and not enough time skating!
Punishment: - lines
I must keep my weight off my toepicks
I must keep my weight off my toepicks......... X 100 !!!

emyh
03-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Wow. It's been FOREVER since I've posted in this forum/thread.

Anyhow

Disgrace: loops

Delight: I finally got back to up to working on FS5 elements after my 6 mth break from skating. Worked on the axel and the camel. Got into the harness. It's been a while.

Mrs Redboots
03-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Emyh, good to see you back!

Batikat, don't you dare get too good - I have to compete against you.....

Back on the ice today for the first time since Wednesday - had meant to skate on both Thursday and Friday, but was wiped out (do that occasionally). Spent a long time with Robert working on bits of the Swing Dance and - Delight: - managed to do a most beautiful BO edge just before the step to forward! But we spent a mighty long time on my Mohawk, which was still pretty much a Disgrace. Sigh. But finally, I think, Robert is realising what I can't do, and we are working out ways to overcome this.

Also worked on our 3-turns, and finally managed to get some decent 3s round each other, after several false starts. There are times when I think Robert things that providing you do what you are asked, it doesn't matter how you do it! But I think he began to realise, when I kept stopping us and saying things like "Oh dear, I'm not pushing that edge", or "Hang on, my extension isn't working"....

There was nearly a Motorway Pile-Up at one stage, which could have been nasty - one of the adult couples took a nasty tumble, luckily not hurting themselves, and one of the elite couples as near as dammit fell over them! It was quite funny, simply because it didn't happen - it wouldn't have been if it had!

mikawendy
03-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by flo
Mika,
Hope all is better soon!
Practiced a couple of times, and had a clean run through. Hope to get in a catnap tonight before I go to the rink!

Thanks, flo, elsy2, dbny and everyone for the well wishes. My foot is much better now. Now I have to take antibiotic pills for 10 days (yuck)so it won't get reinfected but I was really lucky to have caught it early.

Hopefully I can go skate tonight if the rink outdoors is not too melted...

wa_skater
03-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Delight: I am able to complete my single toe loop - and only on the second lesson that I've ever been introduced to it! Also I am keeping up with a very demanding training schedule including skating four times a week, ballet, cardio, weight training, and eating right (and I fit a full week of work in there too).

Disgrace: Can't get the entrance to the 1-foot spin. Can start a spin from a pivot, and can spin a couple of revs once I get there. But can't get that dang entrance on a LFO edge and swinging the right leg around and I've been trying for a month now. Getting VERY frustrated with it and myself.

The training schedule might also be burning me out a little because I am trying to be a perfectionist and do all my skating, workouts, and eat perfectly all the time. I'm going to take a day off of everything responsible today in order to try to reinvigorate myself and get my optimistic attitude back!

I just found this website, so for those of you who don't know me, I'm Anna, 33, skating at the pre-bronze adult level and live near Seattle, WA :)

sk8er1964
03-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by wa_skater
I just found this website, so for those of you who don't know me, I'm Anna, 33, skating at the pre-bronze adult level and live near Seattle, WA :)

Welcome - you really sound hooked :D ! I'm just like you - work 40-50 hours, skate 6 hours a week, etc...

Delightful: I'm back on the ice after my self-imposed week off - Yipeee! No real pain, just some stiffness - nothing I couldn't handle. I felt free and fast and strong 8-) ! Did all jumps through axel, my spins and footwork. Had a great lesson - coach told me I did one of the best flying camels that he's seen me do :D. So nice to be able to focus on improvement instead of skating through pain.

Have an appointment a week from Monday with a sports medicine doc so if the pain comes back I'm already set for more profesisonal help.

skateflo
03-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Due to upper respiratory flu and coach's need to reschedule some things, I got very little ice practice during the past 2-1/2 weeks. Made me even more grumpy.

So had a lesson at noon today to work on choreography for new music. But lack of communication meant coach listened to tape on rink system twice and then we started without the music, as I did not bring my cassette player with me.

It was sort of fun (I found myself nervous and even a little shaky and stiff) and we wrote down every 4-5 movements in my book along with a diagragm. I just couldn't remember more than 4 items at a time.

My only concern is arm movements at the beginning and one other point - I mean, heck, I am not ballet trained or have an ounce of finesse in my my fingers and I just feel so foolish! I didn't say anything....will wait till we work on it some more. But coach was very very pleased with my grasp of what we did develope - that made me feel better.

So far it includes edges, 3 turns, crossovers, LFO spiral, mohawk, 1 foot spin....but the goal is to work on weight transfer, quickness, and transitions. I am so tired and bored with working on elements on a tiny section of ice....I just can't speed compete, or am brazen enough, with the kids...

I'm grumpy and my body just doesn't like skating before 4 pm!!! - no matter how much housework, etc. I do before going to the rink.

It was great to hear so many success stories this week, on and off the ice. And to those with injuries and stuff (mental and physical) I wish you all speedy recovery!