View Full Version : Observations for Adult Nationals newbies

skaternum
02-27-2003, 09:21 AM
We're starting to talk a lot about the upcoming Adult Nationals, and there are a lot of folks here going for the first time. So I thought I'd post a link to a list of observations about first time attendance at Adult Nationals. The link is to a rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational (rssir) posting. Keep in mind most of the observations are tongue in cheek, but there are some serious ones. I reposted it a while back, but I thought the timing is about right for posting it again. :P

http://tinyurl.com/6jlj

flo
02-27-2003, 09:41 AM
As for this one:
7. Doctors should NEVER attend adult pairs events as spectators unless
they've recently increased malpractice insurance. The events are as
scary as you might think.

We were waiting to begin the masters pairs events, and wondering what the delay was. After the event they told us that it was because the emergency crew had not yet shown up, and they did not want to begin the event until they were rinkside!

sk8er1964
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Cute!

KJD
02-27-2003, 09:49 AM
I've decided that pairs at any beginning level,be it kid or adult, is scary. My just turned 8 year old daughter just started in pairs a week and a half ago, and while she loves it and they are very cute together (and not too bad in all honesty) its a scary thing to watch at times.

skaternum
02-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Too funny, flo. I would not want to skate in a pairs event without a medical crew around!

Beginning pairs IS scary, isn't it. And yes, I'm including myself in that one, since I'm a newbie Faux Pairs skater, myself. Our faux coach tried to teach us a catch-camel pairs spin yesterday. Lordy, we must have looked a fright on the ice! :o It was hilarious, but slightly scary to onlookers, I'm sure. Legs flying around everywhere, feet close to faces. Hoo boy!

jazzpants
02-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by flo
As for this one:
7. Doctors should NEVER attend adult pairs events as spectators unless
they've recently increased malpractice insurance. The events are as
scary as you might think.

We were waiting to begin the masters pairs events, and wondering what the delay was. After the event they told us that it was because the emergency crew had not yet shown up, and they did not want to begin the event until they were rinkside!

What if the the doctor was a pairs skating judge too??? :P Or even better... what if he was one of the pairs competitors??? :P :P :P

Seriously, I know of a guy was competing seriously for a while, then went to medical school. I think he's either still going to medical school or *IS* a doctor now. But he's gotten back into skating (though now as a single skater...he got back his double toe back in about a week!!! WOO HOO!!!) He's also a trial judge too!!! :D :D :D

Hmmm? Thinking about it, it's probably safer to have that person as a competitor... since if someone gets injured, the person could quickly skate right out to help the injured person. :) :) :)

MissIndigo
03-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Seriously, I know of a guy was competing seriously for a while, then went to medical school. I think he's either still going to medical school or *IS* a doctor now. But he's gotten back into skating (though now as a single skater...he got back his double toe back in about a week!!! WOO HOO!!!) He's also a trial judge too!!! :D :D :D

:bow:

This guy should be revered. :lol:

So there is hope for those of us slaving away in the biomedical sciences and trying to skate too!

I hope my life is less frantic after I get the slip of paper that has the letters P and H and D on it.

Madame Saccoche
03-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Madame will not do pairs unless she is wearing protective gear;)

skaternum
03-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Madame, what if one considered the partner to be protective gear? I have discovered that I almost always fall onto the partner, which makes a nice, soft cushion!

GoldSeals
03-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
Too funny, flo. I would not want to skate in a pairs event without a medical crew around!

Beginning pairs IS scary, isn't it. And yes, I'm including myself in that one, since I'm a newbie Faux Pairs skater, myself. Our faux coach tried to teach us a catch-camel pairs spin yesterday. Lordy, we must have looked a fright on the ice! :o It was hilarious, but slightly scary to onlookers, I'm sure. Legs flying around everywhere, feet close to faces. Hoo boy!

In Orlando Florida at the Nationals in 1992 I had to work the event"not a medical person":lol:They had 2 doctors on standby while the pairs practice was on.Yes there were some minor injuries to the skaters.Mainly bruises on the legs from the skaters hitting each other during the spins:lol:
GoldSeals