View Full Version : Stores in NYC that sell skates + blades

Berry Bear
02-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of skates for recreational purposes. Does anyone know of any stores in NYC (pls include the nearest subway station to alight) that sell afforable skates (my budget is between $180 - $230 for skates + blades)

And what brand of boots and blades do you recommend for beginners like me who wish to learn how to ice skate.

Thaank you.

:D

RoaringSkates
02-27-2003, 09:19 AM
A good quality, all purpose brand is Reidell. Their beginner-type models are priced within your budget. A good blade is Wilson. I believe MK also makes good blades for your level.

I don't buy my skates in NYC. I buy them at C&L Sports out of Sport-o-Rama in Monsey, NY, about 1/2 hour from NYC. So I can't help you there. I can advise you to buy your skates from a reputable pro shop which specializes in skates, rather than from a Modells or some other sort of sports department store, where they have no idea about fitting skates or what skates will work for you.

I wonder if there is a skate shop at Chelsea Piers, at the Sky Rink?

If you have a coach, your coach can recommend a reputable pro shop.

The skates you buy, and the blades, depend on your body and how often you plan to skate. Every skate manufacturer makes boots that work for beginners, so that's good.

If you are a bit chunky, like I am, you'll need a more supportive boot than someone who's tinier. Likewise, if you only plan to skate once per week for an hour, you may need a different boot than someone who skates eight hours a week.

If you have wide feet, you'll do better in boots made by SP Teri, Klingbeil (although these are too advanced for you at this point - too stiff), Risport, or Jackson. If you have narrow feet, you'll do better in Harlick. If your feet are pretty average, Reidells may fit. If you go to a good pro shop, they'll ask you all sorts of questions about how you plan to skate, what discipline (dance, singles, etc.), and measure your feet. They'll then recommend a brand of skate, and a size, that will work for you.

Don't be surprised if the skates you buy are 1-2 sizes smaller than your street shoe size. This is normal.

Also, don't be surprised if, once you get your skates, you have to go back to the shop a few times to get them punched out in areas to make them fit you better. This is also pretty normal.

dbny
02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Peck and Goodie, which is on 8th Ave between W54th and W55th St.

Blades, at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers.

NYC Subway & Bus Info (http://www.ny.com/nyc-cgi-bin/frame?url=http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/subway/index.html&frame=/frame/travel.html)

Peck and Goodie does a pretty good job of fitting, which is not always true at Blades.

There is no one brand or model of boot that is right for everyone. Riedells seem to fit a lot of people, but I know if you have a wide foot they will not do. Jackson's are better for wide feet, and they also make several models that are heat moldable. The heat molding is done at the pro shop, and I've heard it provides a very comfortable fit. If you have to bring them back for punching out or for stretching it is usually at no additional charge. I don't think you will need to do that with a heat moldable boot.

ddpskater
02-27-2003, 05:52 PM
If you can drive out to Long Island, Dante Cozze Sports in Port Washington or at Newbridge Road Rink in Freeport are great. Klingbeil is actually in Jamaica Queens at the end of the F train (but call to be sure it's the F not the E. I had a very bad experiance w/Blades at Chelsea Piers. Awful fit, high price and way too much skate for a beginner.

dbny
02-27-2003, 08:02 PM
I agree that Blades is not an ideal place to buy skates. I've been to Dante Cozzi's many times and can add that they do an excellent job of fitting, but tend to have high end boots. Give them a call (516-783-0215) to see what they have in your size ,level of skating, and price range. Klingbeils are custom made to be suitable for your skill level, but are more than you want to spend right now, at a fixed price of $495.
I go to Skate for Gold in Hicksville for my sharpenings, and they also do a great job of fitting and carry a wide range of boots. I know the LIRR has a stop within walking distance of the shop.

Kelli
02-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by RoaringSkates

I don't buy my skates in NYC. I buy them at C&L Sports out of Sport-o-Rama in Monsey, NY, about 1/2 hour from NYC. So I can't help you there. I can advise you to buy your skates from a reputable pro shop which specializes in skates, rather than from a Modells or some other sort of sports department store, where they have no idea about fitting skates or what skates will work for you.

My only insight for this topic is a strong recommendation not to get in a car with RoaringSkates! ;) I live in the Northern Bronx, and Monsey is most definitely more than a half hour trip from anywhere in the City! Good grief, you must drive fast!

In all seriousness, consider going to one of the places mentioned outside of the City. When I'm in New York, I always go to Monsey (an, ahem, 40 minute drive) and it really is worth it to go to a dealer who specializes in figure skates and develop a strong relationship with him. The main fitter at Monsey will make sure that you are in the correct level boot and blade, but call ahead to make an appointment and specify that you are buying figure skates.

Happy skate hunting!

kar5162
02-28-2003, 06:05 PM
You can also take the NJ transit 165 bus from Port Authority to Hackensack. It's a 5 minute walk from the bus stop to the Ice House and Jim is good. Just make an appointment in advance.