View Full Version : Sloooow.....

Black Sheep
02-26-2003, 07:13 PM
As an adult skater, I've often been criticized by people (including my coach) for skating too slow. In fact, every time I practice my programs in front of my coach, he tells me that I still need more speed going into jumps, around corners, etc. Anybody else have this problem? Just curious....

love2sk8
02-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Many skaters have this problem...one thing that will really help is improving your basic skating skills, such as edges, stroking, field movements, and basically just getting a better feelign for everything.

Try different stroking exercises, alternating feet so as not to become stronger on one side. Also make sure you work on both inside and outside edges, as many people prefer one side/foot to the other.

By improving the basic skating, getting speed to take you into jumps and around corners will become easier!

~Hope this helps;)

Black Sheep
02-26-2003, 07:54 PM
I see--thank you! :)

DancinDiva
02-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I just started lessons last month, and my instructor always tells me to slow down. He says I make him nervous! Maybe I should have gone into speed skating LOL

Black Sheep
02-26-2003, 08:23 PM
One of my former coaches came up with this bad joke:

Coach: What nationality are you?
Me: American.
Coach: Know what you are? You're Russian (rushin')!

:?? :P :x :evil: :twisted:

Chico
02-26-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm a speedy too. My first coach was forever yelling at me to slow down before entering jumps. And even though she's not my coach anymore she still yells at me even now on this some days. I am getting better at taking my time on moves and footwork while maintaining my speed for jumps. I'm hoping this is a happy medium. =-) Speed comes with comfort on the ice.

Chico

Sandra L
02-27-2003, 12:15 AM
I have the same problem, I slow down right before jumping or spinning. But I do keep going "fast" ;) when it's field moves or footwork... So I don't have any suggestions, but I sympathize! :D

Mrs Redboots
02-27-2003, 07:51 AM
There's a world of difference between speed and flow, when it comes to ice skating! One wants speed over the ice, lots of wonderful flow, covering the whole length of the rink with a single push, that sort of stuff - but also, you have to learn to hold back, to slow down, to let the timing work..... We have a very bad habit of rushing our timing in the dances. I know we aren't the only couple, either - I was talking to some friends who are just a little better than we are the other day, and she said she has trouble with timing, and although her partner doesn't, he tends to speed up the count when he's scared! Me, I count in time all the time, but my feet don't do what my mouth is saying!

Actual speed across the ice comes from more knee-bend and more extension. Push right down to the toe of your free leg, and remember to pre-bend as you bring it in to push for the next step. Again, don't rush - remember to hold the extension!

It's worth asking your coach for "speedwork drills", to be done at the end of every practice session - your basic speed does gradually improve if you do them regularly.

flo
02-27-2003, 08:17 AM
It is a skill to be able to skate with enough speed to really move, while not rushing your elements. It's really difficult with slower music. You don't want to rush through your program, but also not look slow. This comes with experience. I try to think of power instead of speed, and giving each element it's due. And of course geting them all in before you run out of music is always nice!

icenut84
02-27-2003, 08:27 AM
I have this problem sometimes too, like occasionally I run out of ice during a solo dance because of too much speed and have to take quite a tight corner. I like to go as fast as I can as long as I'm in control. :) Maybe you could try concentrating on a greater push, better knee bend etc. That might help your speed. And at the end of every session, skate as fast as you can (safely, and don't lose technique) for a few laps :)

RoaringSkates
02-27-2003, 09:23 AM
If your rink offers a "power skating" class, it would be fun and good for you to join. These classes teach figure and hockey skaters how to get more oomph from their skating.

I've increased my speed by doing hockey exercises. They build up speed and power in my legs.

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
I have this problem sometimes too, like occasionally I run out of ice during a solo dance because of too much speed and have to take quite a tight corner. It's a lovely feeling when that happens but, of course, one's teacher looks at one askance and says "Edges, dear!"

1lutz2klutz
03-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Too much speed has never been a problem for me, alas! I seem to have too speeds- too slow, and "how about a bit more speed?". I think it's because as an adult (who never skated as a child) I'm too aware of the fact that falling can hurt!

thumbyskates
03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
I totally have a problem of going to slow. It's not that I can't go faster...believe me, I can. And I do...in between the jumps and spins. But it doesn't matter how fast I'm going, as soon as I set up for the jump, I freak out, and slow down. It's not that I can't do the jumps faster, I can do that....

It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall mental. This is a very mental sport (in more ways than one).

Kortney

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Well, when I can't even dream of doing a 3-turn at any decent sort of speed - I was half dreaming, half visualising doing a European waltz, solo, and in my vision I bottled the first 3-turn! Too silly..... I wouldn't bottle it with a partner now, I don't think. I can skate far faster with a partner than I can solo.