View Full Version : On Ice Time for week to prepare for AN?

BostonBoyChris
02-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi guys

My first post in the Skaters Chat Forum!

I’m 24 now, so next year, I will be “of age” for Adult Nationals. I’m wondering how much time per week those of you who are doing Adult Nationals skate per week. Right now, I’m only skating once a week due to cost concerns, but competing is a life-long dream, so I’m willing to say to heck with the cost concerns!

I’ve never tested or competed, but I have up to a single lutz, can do all the moves on Basic Adult levels and most on the Adult Free Skate levels, spins are a weakness though. I was just trying to get an idea of how feasible it would be for me to try this, and maybe get an idea of the cost (if I may be so bold ;-)) before bringing it up with coach.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

sk8er1964
02-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Chris. Welcome.

I'm doing my first AN this year at Adult Gold Ladies II. I skate 6 days a week for an hour each day, and take 1 hour a week of private lessons. I try to keep costs down by skating at lunch time public skates during the week ($4 per session instead of $8-$10). Am I skating enough? I don't know - ask me on April 13th :) (I skate at AN on the 12th).

The entry fee for AN was $100.

manleywoman
02-25-2003, 12:21 PM
I know adults who train 2 hours a week who skate well at ANs, and people who train 8 hours a week who don't skate well at ANs. I think it depends on how smart you train: my friend who skates 2 hours a week also jogs off-ice a lot to keep her stamina up, and walks through her program on land, checking positions in a mirror to help memorize them, and check the little details, like hand positions and posture. So she gets half the work done off-ice, ie: for free!

As for myself, I skate 4x/week, about 5 hours total/week. While I've always jogged for stamina, I've only recently started walking through the program in front of a mirror. Let me tell you, it's enlightening! I also stretch a lot, and lift weights once a week.

So yes, it's feasable. Certainly your current skills are fine for adult competition. I would look into doing some cheap public sessions to add another hour of skating into your training, but with an off-ice regimin you should be fine.

See you next year!:D

dcden
02-25-2003, 12:32 PM
I have to add that when you're preparing for competition, public sessions can be inadequate (at least with most of the public sessions I've been to). When you're training run throughs of a program, sequencing and placement of your elements are very important, and it's hard to do this well on a public session where many of the skaters are just out there for fun. Public sessions are fine for now and for brushing up on individual elements, but once you get a coach and start putting together a competitive program, you will need to start budgeting time (and $$$) for doing the occasional freestyle session for program run throughs.

As for my 'stats': skate 4-5 times a week, with 2 lessons per week. 1-2 times a week I get on the elliptical machine at the gym for 20 minutes, followed by stretching. I should actually probably do more off ice than I do.

BostonBoyChris
02-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys! I needed the encouragement! I don't have any friends who skate, so I don't get this kind of encouragement! I'm going to have to get over my fear of public skates I think lol-- I'm 6'1, so the elements I do seem to take up a lot of room and I have this huge fear of taking out someone smaller than me! I

often try to practice positions and checks on the floor, but for some odd reason, doing it in front of the mirror hasn't occurred to me, so thank you! As for stamina, I don't think that will be an issue for me, I work out/lift weights 4 times a week. I don't think I do enough stretching though, what do you usually do for stretching and how long and how often?

Thanks so much!

C

skaternum
02-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi, Chris!

I skate faux pairs and singles, so I split my time up on the same sessions sometimes. It usually works out to something like this:

singles: 3 hours
pairs: 2 hours
synchro: 1 hour

I think your skill set is fine for Bronze next year. I think you'll probably want to increase your ice time as you get closer to AN. If you've never done a program to music before, you may be surprised at how hard it is to get a program together, trained, and ready to present. It takes longer than most people think, so I'd be prepared to put in a little more time next year.

Also, once you turn 25, you'll have to take 2 MITF tests and 2 freeskating tests (Pre-Bronze and Bronze), so those will require some extra ice time for preparation.

If you can afford it, I say go for it. Those of us who compete regularly love it. We're hooked! It's such a rush.

Some unsolicited advice: try to enter a local competition or two before Adult Nationals next year. It can be kinda rough your first time out, so you probably want to practice dealing with the nerves. Even if you're used to performing or competing in front of people in other sports, there's something about skating that's just a little bit more stressful. So try it out first locally before you go all the way to Lake Placid. Unlikely, but you may find you don't like it. (Most likely, you'll love it and be hooked like we are.) :)

sk8er1964
02-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dcden
I have to add that when you're preparing for competition, public sessions can be inadequate (at least with most of the public sessions I've been to). When you're training run throughs of a program, sequencing and placement of your elements are very important, and it's hard to do this well on a public session where many of the skaters are just out there for fun. Public sessions are fine for now and for brushing up on individual elements, but once you get a coach and start putting together a competitive program, you will need to start budgeting time (and $$$) for doing the occasional freestyle session for program run throughs.

This is true when you are working on public sessions - I am fortunate enough to have a facility that has adult only public skates, is sparsly attended on the regular public skates, and allows freestyle programs to be run on open skating.

However, this week (the week prior to Sectionals, of course), the local schools are out on Winter break and the adult ice is cancelled. So I'm skating on club ice so that I can do my program and not have to worry about all the kids. (Except, where I'm skating, they have some REALLY good skaters - like national level skaters - you should see their huge double axels and triple jumps! And here I am, a little old injured lady, doing my salchows... 8O )

BostonBoyChris
02-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I think that I will love competing because I have always loved performing, have done dance and theatre (including a big dance solo as Rum Tum Tugger in Cats when I was in high school LOL), so I have some experience in having all eyes on me in that regard. I can't wait to start competing so I can start meeting some people who actually are happy to discuss skating! :D

skaternum
02-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BostonBoyChris
I think that I will love competing because I have always loved performing, have done dance and theatre (including a big dance solo as Rum Tum Tugger in Cats when I was in high school LOL), so I have some experience in having all eyes on me in that regard.

I'm telling ya, man, it's different on the ice. :) I performed with dance companies and in musical theater for years before I skated, and it may help some, but it's really different out there on the ice! Hard to explain, but you have to experience it. You'll probably love it, but have I mentioned it's different on the ice? :P

Black Sheep
02-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by BostonBoyChris
(including a big dance solo as Rum Tum Tugger in Cats when I was in high school LOL)

My Interp. program is "The Jellicle Ball" from CATS.....;)

flo
02-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Manley,
Your idea of running through the program in front of a mirror is great. We have one rink where on entire wall is mirrored. It's amazing what you see.

skaternum
02-26-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm so jealous! How wonderful it must be to have a mirrored wall in a rink! (On the other hand, perhaps I don't want to see ...)

Mel1977
02-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey Chris!
You are where I was a year ago! I couldn't wait to turn 25 so I could compete as an adult. I turned 25 on December 13, and passed my pre-bronze and bronze adult moves and freeskate tests on December 16. My registration for Adult Nationals was in the mail the next day. You sound like you are about my level, I can do lutzs and am working on axels. You totally can be there next year! Right now I am only skating twice a week because I coach too, and that takes up most of my ice time. I know I need to start hitting the early morning sessions though (6-7a.m. yuck)
When did you start skating? I started when I was 17. Anytime you need someone to talk skating with, I'm always willing! My friends don't understand skating either really.
Good luck, you are going to love it!

Mel

dooobedooo
02-27-2003, 05:12 AM
deleted

Sandra L
02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
I'm telling ya, man, it's different on the ice. :) I performed with dance companies and in musical theater for years before I skated, and it may help some, but it's really different out there on the ice! Hard to explain, but you have to experience it. You'll probably love it, but have I mentioned it's different on the ice? :P

Definetely different on the ice! I've performed wit roller figure skating club (end of year carnivals), so when I went for synchro on the ice, I naively thought my previous experience would be enough. Oh my! I guess It's about all the variables that affect ice skating... ice condition, sharpenning, what have you, it's tough! But it's a lot of fun and a real accomplishment to get all that together! Go for it, good luck!

BostonBoyChris
02-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys! You all are the best. Very helpful. Mel-- hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps then! And Sandra-- the variables-- totally makes sense. Where in WI are you Mel? i'll probably be visiting Milwaukee again this summer? I'm already thinking about what music to choose! hehe :D

Mel1977
03-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hi Chris,
I PM'd you last week, don't know if you got that or not. I live about an hour north of Milwaukee. What do you do in Milwaukee?