View Full Version : Wowza/Wimpy lessons+practices 23-29th Feb

icenut84
02-23-2003, 09:08 AM
My turn this week?

I didn't have time to write up last week's practice, so a very brief summary is that in my freestyle lesson we did inside spread eagles, pivots (BI, FI, BO). Salchow wasn't working at all, waltz jump and toe loop nice. Tried one loop & one flip - didn't work. Alternating FO3s - managed the choctaw but was very scratchy.

This is for yesterday morning:

Wowza:

My dad watched for part of my group class, and later, he said that when we were doing backward crossovers he was frightened because I was going "so fast"! :D He said I was going round on a circle outside everyone else, twice as fast, and that I was a "blur". 8-)

Spirals. :mrgreen: I've been meaning to try forward spirals on edges for ages - I always chickened out of trying even though I could do them on flats, and there isn't usually enough room anyway. During practice, I just went for it, and then showed my coach in my lesson and we did some others too. She said my LFO one (the one I'd been doing) was good, and that my leg was hip height. :) We also did FO, FI, BO, BI, and also catchfoot ones (fun). She also showed me the one where you lift your leg in front, move it out to the side and then move it behind - quite hard.

Waltz jump, salchow and toe loop were all good. The height and "jump" in salchow and toe loop is definitely improving, and I got assurance from my coach that my toe loop does indeed take off backwards, and that I'm not doing a toe-waltz. Loop - landed a couple on the correct foot.

Learnt the Blues (though I can't remember a single step now! lol)

2 foot spin from spread eagle entry is much better. 1 foot spins from back crossovers good (for me) in both directions, probably about 4-5 revs both ways.

All 3 turns, double 3s and mohawks great.

Back cross cuts fine, and some other moves good too.

Wimpy:

Most loops were 2 footed, and I landed one on my own foot!! 8O I think it was 2 footed but my right foot wasn't on the ice, it was on top of my left foot, lol. It hurt! But my coach pointed out that at least it proved I had my feet crossed, lol.

Flip - closest I got was 2 footed.

Spread eagles and pivots not amazing but ok, same for BO3-mohawk sequence.

Tried a teapot (shoot the duck), but I couldn't get right down and nearly tipped over backwards! lol. I never practice them but maybe I should.

Bunny hops were a bit dodgy! Hmm.

nutty-ducky
02-23-2003, 09:21 AM
In my lesson today I did edge work and novice field moves. The half term starts next week for me so I have an extra lesson coz of that and also coz the rink is closing for about a week.
Wowza:
My 3-turns around a circle with the back crossover were quite good. Need to make the edges longer and not rush it.
I did my Novice Field moves today and my arms were aching so much, they felt like bags of bricks! :( And then after doing the novice field moves I had to run through them again! It was so tiring!
I have to work on my extensions more as my coach was "not happy about them" :x
I had to show someone a salchow and I did it quite good! I feel like the 3-jump is getting nice and high!
I worked on my 2-foot spin into 1-foot spin and I think I have it but I have to hold my free leg up for longer. I have to get this spin and then I can start working on my program.

Wimpy:
Only the first run through of my novice field moves, but it wasn't to bad.

I am gojng to have my free skating lesson on Thursday. :D

Mrs Redboots
02-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Not a good skate day! The ice was lovely, my blades were sharp (at the blissful stage where you've skated off the first over-sharpness, and they are still really sharp. Too sharp to stop, alas, and I do like a little "skid" in them), and I couldn't skate worth a you-know-what!

Actually, Robert and I did our exercises together and that was okay, except our cross-rolls in Foxtrot hold didn't quite work, and nor did our clockwise waltz 3s (RFO3). The anti-clockwise ones are really happening now.

As the ice was fairly empty, with our good skaters having gone to Junior Worlds, our coach wanted us to dance. First we did the Canadian Cha-cha, which was okay, except Robert wanted to argue about the steps, the coach doesn't really know them, and none of us had a pattern!

Then we did the Swing Dance and oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. We haven't done it that badly for years! Somehow Robert forgot all the things we'd been working on, and that made me not be able to do anything, either. And even after we did it again, I kept getting stuck on the Mohawk, which normally I can do. So after the lesson we worked and worked on it, and finally diagnosed, but didn't solve, the problem: for some reason my right hip gets stuck too far back, but my right shoulder is already forwards, so if I bring my hip forward, I do a 3-turn, or worse, a 2-footed turn, instead of doing the RFI edge into the Mohawk. I don't know why this happens - I'm perfectly capable of doing LFO-RFI round the circle, ditto as runs/progressives..... I give up!

The worst is feeling that we can't dance tomorrow to sort it all out; we are seriously thinking of going to Slough to dance there. It just feels odd. And now I am stiff and really tired! Partly after a hectic weekend, mind - didn't get to bed until rather too late last night to be up so early this morning!

(Rachel, if you did the Blues, you must remember that Choctaw followed by the back cross roll! I was showing someone it on Thursday, and came right up on my toe-rake, so had to say "Not like that!")

Debbie S
02-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Had 1st lesson of the new 6-week series yesterday. I have the same instructor I've had for the past 3 series - it's good, b/c I like the way he teaches. I didn't get a chance to practice this week b/c of the big snowstorm, so I felt a bit wobbly on my skates when we first started.

Wowza:
Spirals are good, back spiral is better than it was last series - it's actually on an edge now and my leg is up to hip height. Power 3's still good - I've also been practicing LFI 3's in my spare time, b/c I seemed to have forgotten how to do them since Basic 8. My sit spin was shaky at the beginning of the lesson, but it got better. I tend to have a problem with my free leg dragging on the ice as I start to spin - i guess I just need to keep the leg lifted.

Wimpy:
The loop jump - what else? I sure hope I master this soon - b/c I'm, going to miss the last lesson due to Worlds (it's Mar. 29) so I'll need to "test" a week earlier. I definitely don't want to be in this level a 3rd time - yesterday, we spent 25 minutes on the skills I can already do before we got to the loop. My instructor said that we'll spend more time on the loop next week, but I would really like to work on some more advanced skills. I realize that everyone needs all the practice they can get, but I would like to learn some new things.

Revisiting my question from last week, has anyone (in the U.S.) taken Pre-Bronze MIF yet (or working on them)? If so, what's the pattern for the alternating 3's? I imagine it's sort of like the power 3's, with a back crossover involved. I'd like to be able to start working on it in my practices.

Terri C
02-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Wowza:
My backscratch is BACK! For some reason, it always shows up right before a competition ( CRC is in two weeks).
Toe loop- toe loop combo is solid , as well as the sitspin!

Also, I found out this week that I will be going to the USFSA Governing Council meeting in May!

Whimpy:
Than darn loop jump has yet to make a appearance in a program run- through!

Also, I meant to post about practices and lessons last week, but my cat was hit by a car and killed instantly early Wednesday morning- so I was distracted big time by that!

lisabelle
02-23-2003, 04:55 PM
the alternating threes are done on the line. ie, RFO 3 turn to the RBI edge, step forward (choctaw) to a LFO edge, 3 turn,and so on down the line. i guess its individual, but i just passed my preliminary moves this past month and i found that the alternating threes were the hardest thing on the test for me to do. the choctaw to foward on the outside threes was really difficult for me. i had no problems with the insides though.

MissIndigo
02-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Terri C

Also, I meant to post about practices and lessons last week, but my cat was hit by a car and killed instantly early Wednesday morning- so I was distracted big time by that!

Oh no!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm so sorry...I just don't have the words.

AstarZ41
02-23-2003, 06:03 PM
So sorry to hear about your cat, Terri :( :(

*Wowza*
My waltz jump is back from a month long vacation!! :P My coach had me work on them yesterday and I thought ahh this is gonna suck... We went through the take off and landing positions, and then when I went to do it I just thought ok I gotta jump--my coach is watching! ;) So I did it, and *tada* it was pretty good! After that I went on to do a couple more working on getting more hight...I still had some of those "whoops" moments but my mental block is going away!! hehe

*Whimpy*
Ahh forward x-overs are getting annoying...I can do them just fine the way my previous coach taught me, but now I have to do all that and turn my torso and head wayy into the circle and my arms way extended, point my toe all the time and keep my push off leg totally straight leading my foot in with the toe very close to the ice...so complicated!! :?? :P I correct one thing, but forget to do the other and it's just so..frustrating!

mikawendy
02-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat, Terri. (((Hugs to you)))

Wimpy--
Didn't do much today in practice as my PT had ordered me to take it easy and to stop the second I felt any pain in my right knee. I did forward stroking and practiced LFO3s and my not-yet-LFI3 turns.

It was so windy that I stopped practicing the turns. It was even so windy that from a standstill with my back to the wind, it was pushing my down the rink at a good clip! That was funny but of course made stroking against the wind monstrously hard!

Wowza--
Had the ice to myself, and it was nice and smooth! (I skated outdoors near my house. I didn't want to trek to the rink since I didn't know how long I'd be skating for).

sk8er1964
02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Terri - I'm so sorry about your kitty :(

Wowza -

Skated an exhibition at a competition today (there was nobody for me to compete with - in fact I was the only adult in the whole competition :D ). It went pretty well - no pain (yipee!!!) on my jump landings and takeoffs. Got it taped again, and boy does it look a lot more polished than it did two weeks ago at my last comp. Judge's critiques were good - the only things they hit on were things that we already knew needed work. Judges just seem to love my circular footwork :D :D .

Wimpy:

Didn't do the axel in the program today since I haven't done any in two weeks due to injury. Two-footed the lutz (and didn't do the second jump) in the exhibition because I've only done a few of those in the last two weeks.

Looks like the injury is getting so much better - going to work on axels and lutzes tomorrow, I hope, so maybe I can actually land one in my program by next weekend 8O .

tidesong
02-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Terri: Hope you are ok, I'd be very upset if my cat got run over.
sk8er1964: Go axel go!

Wowza

Back on ice after one week of not skating because of school work.
Axel is back again, still not 100% but hopefully will reach there soon...
Tried axel -half loop- flip and axel -half loop -dble sal the first combination more succesful
Getting the feeling for double toe and double loop... (my double toe has really been on and off)

Wimpy

Spins mostly on a vacation again, travelling all over the place...
Can't maintain a good speed on spirals
Scratching on foot work... I just realized that I always scratch during the back inside three turns!!! Especially when I'm not concentrating.

Debbie S
02-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks, lisabelle.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, Terri.

JDC1
02-24-2003, 11:43 AM
So sorry about your kitty Terri. :(

It had been almost 2 weeks since I skated!!

Wowza - nothing really, my waltz jump felt good and I was able to do some waltz/toe loops

Wimpy - nothing again really took some time to get the knee bend back and get smooth but once I did my 3 turns etc. were fine. Spirals were iffy until I got settled into the ice.

Black Sheep
02-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Last night, I had my first show rehearsal. It was for the opening number (with 27 other skaters--all kids!). I fell right on my hipbone during the warmup, and it hurt all day today. However, I still managed to skate this morning, and "make it through" my programs (good thing my coach wasn't there to see them!). But my hip is still hurting, and the extreme wind chill outside isn't helping. I can't believe I'm dealing with this just before Sectionals....:roll:

Clay
02-25-2003, 12:32 AM
heck, I had to tell someone about skating and I figured this would be the place to post it!
I only go skating every 5 or 6 weeks, so I have not even been skating for that long so...If my progress sounds slow...that's why.
I got a new coach and she asked me to show her all of my jumps real quick. I did the waltz, and double toe (2fted) fine., the sal was "not happening" for me. It was wimpy! I had never had any instruction on the loop or the flip, but she said they looked fine. I do the flip out of a mohawk for now.
Then, she said, try a lutz! My jaw dropped! Well, I wanted to see if I could do it because I had stood against the boards watching my feet on the (while holding on and not actually jumping) take off edge for the lutz (for counter rotation) and the flip...
Anyway, I just went around and changed feet..up I went..and I landed it on the first try! She said that it looked good to her, and she I took of the correct edge. Naturally I got excited and tried a million more. It seems as if the toe jumps are easier for me :) I went on to try the lutz-loop combo, but fell twice. She gave me some instruction on the axle jump, but I only tried a few since there were so many youngsters around. She also showed me the camel and sit spin. I guess I'll save those for 3 more weeks since I was getting tired...

Clay

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Clay, it sounds like you are having a blast! Well done!

Terri, so very sorry to hear about your poor cat; what a ghastly thing to happen.

Well, yesterday we decided to visit our friends at Slough, which was fun. But why, oh why, couldn't Robert and I have danced the Swing Dance like that the previous day???? It was just so much better than we did it in our lesson. Grrrr.

Robert mostly skated with our friend who he skates with in the higher class, just to get them back skating together. I was a bit annoyed because one of the coaches came up to me and asked what level I was, to make sure I qualified for that particular patch (which I did). I didn't think I looked that bad, dammit! :o :??

Robert and I did a fantastic Riverside Rhumba together - at least, I hope it was as fantastic as it felt! I do love skating when I do it well - and the ice at Slough was much nicer than it is at Streatham, plus it's a smaller rink, so you fill it more easily.

People-watching is always fun, but I felt sorry for one girl who was skating pairs - every time you looked there was a loud thump and she had landed on her bottom or side. We reckoned she'd be incredibly stiff this morning!

JDC1
02-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Private lesson was Ice Dance -

Wowza - finally getting the hang of progressives but they're HARD!! Oh my, so hard to keep my chest from going foward and from going back to cross overs. Got a CD of Music!! What fun!!

Wimpy - I totally forgot the right progressive after the left!! It took 10 minutes for me to get the stepts down right agan.

Group lesson -
We went over our group program for the April show.

Wowza - hmmm, my waltz was nice.

Wimpy - fell very hard on the double 3 on the left side, laughed though because we're in a line so I saw the other skater coming right at me and it struck me as funny, I got out of the way.

dbny
02-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Terri C :cry: So so sorry to hear about your loss. We also lost a cat that way years ago. His surviving brother was seen to look both ways before crossing. City cats have to be lucky, I think.

I'd like to add to the info about the Pre-Bronze alt threes, that you are allowed a brief touch down of the free foot, or even a crossover (gack!) before stepping to the next three. This is not allowed on the Prelim test, and would result in a failure.

Wowza
Missed my lesson this week because both coach and I were out of town on lesson day, but I did get to skate while away and managed one good spin from wind-up. I was always able to get a decent one foot spin from a pivot. This is major progress for me.

I can feel my FI alt three pattern improving every time I practice it. I set the goal of doing it ten times every time I skate, and haven't managed to keep to it, but have been doing it enough obviously, for some progress. The R is so very close to being truly one footed, and the L is getting closer. My upper body position on the L is better and I feel more comfortable over the skate.

Wimpy
I seem to be stalled on the F and B cross strokes, although hubby still says the B look easy. Well, easy if I don't work for those deep edges, I guess.

I've got to improve the speed on my F and B crossovers, the problem being that I'm just not comfy with as much speed as I'm capable of.

Waltz jump wants to happen, but I still wimp out on putting the oomph into it, so it's still very tiny.

DancinDiva
02-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, not really a WOWZA lesson, but not bad. I mean, snowplow stops and two-footed change of directions just don't seem to be wowza skills, no matter how well they are done LOL. After my lesson one of the women in my group told me I looked very graceful! She also said that my change of direction looks so smooth. So, I know it's not much, but I was happy.

Figureskates
02-25-2003, 03:54 PM
As I write this I have a clothes pin over my nose..

Today was not the best skating day.

Worked on pre-pre moves.

Perimeter stroking: Stroking okay but cross-overs at the ends were not great at all. Today was the day I could not find an outide edge...what is with the flat? I can do these things, really.

Spiral: Right leg pretty good, though I could raise the leg a little higher. Left leg, my coach said it best....stinko

Forward and backward edges: This stood out today. At least these are still around and haven't fled the state!!

Waltz eight: I have developed a strange little quirk that is proving to be a beast to get rid of. Moving on a back outside edge I flop over on an inside edge before stepping off on a forward outside edge..and I have developed this curious little push. It really is ugly since I leave this neat little pile of snow. Of course trying to correct this is throwing everything off whack in the waltz eight.

Note to KelliC: I normally do not skate that bad, and yes, it WAS amusing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catch me on a good day.:D :D :D

garyc254
02-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
Well, not really a WOWZA lesson, but not bad. I mean, snowplow stops and two-footed change of directions just don't seem to be wowza skills, no matter how well they are done.

You're wrong. Doing any basic element well is WOWZA. It's the basics that make advanced elements work.

Keep up the great work and be proud of everything you do!!! :D

Terri C
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
(((((( Thanks for all the support guys)))))))

Now for the WOW of this week so far:
:D :D :D HAD A CLEAN RUNTHROUGH OF MY PROGRAM TODAY:D :D :D
LOOP AND ALL!

Black Sheep
02-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
:D :D :D HAD A CLEAN RUNTHROUGH OF MY PROGRAM TODAY:D :D :D LOOP AND ALL!

Me, too! 8-)

DancinDiva
02-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks garyc254. You're always so encouraging!

dbny
02-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
After my lesson one of the women in my group told me I looked very graceful!

That by itself is Wowza in my book:!:

tidesong
02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Wowza: I got my axel back in a big way!!! It was coming the other day and yesterday in practise I just GOT the feeling... Could actually jump axels knowing that I will land them... the axel better not run away again.

Someone told me that the choreography of my program was wonderful. Then I told her I did the choreography :p

Wimpy: Flying camel taking off the wrong edge... I hope this is not a difficult mistake to correct

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2003, 06:13 AM
After a rotten lesson on Sunday, a really good one today! There were tests, so I only had just under an hour on the ice, but oh boy, can I feel it in my thighs! My coach had had a nasty fall during the tests and was gossipping at the side, so I had to go and remind him that time was getting on, but once on, we got going right away. I had already done my changes-of-edge and was working on compulsory figures, so we started with those: not bad! They still aren't very circular, but at least I'm getting back to the centre, even if they are best described as a "bulgy oval". On one foot they make a small sort-of-circle and come back to the centre, on the other, it is much bigger and I don't always make it back.... I am not quite sure what I'm doing differently, but I think it is to do with my shoulders; I am much happier skating with my right shoulder forward than with my left, and I think my right shoulder tries to come round too soon.....

Then we did changes of edge, which were okay for once, so we left them and moved on to BO edges. Minor epiphany on those: coach was holding my hands to help me find my balance, and I suddenly discovered that if I consciously bent my ankles, I found the right place on my blades.

Then we worked on my Mohawk, and he finally decided it would make a huge difference if I consciously straightened my free leg before putting it down - so bend into the RFI edge, then straighten, and put the LBI edge down virtually straight - and then come up even more into the swing! Hmmm - not so easy, but it did make a huge difference! I could do it quite fast holding his hand, too - I still can't turn very fast solo, but better than it was. So, progress!

sk8er1964
02-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Wowza -

Landed 5 big, beautiful and pain free axels today! :D :D :D :D :D

Enough said!

garyc254
02-27-2003, 04:26 PM
WOWZA: I got the nicest compliment I've ever had on my skating. During group lessons, we were practicing edges down the line and my group coach told me I definitely have the "Susie arm swing" down. Long story, short: Susie was my private coach for a year. At least she taught me something!!! :lol:

Skated both Monday and Wednesday after work. My leg muscles are aching today. I'm still trying to get back into shape. I'm done with PT on my shoulder, so it's up to me to get my whole body back into shape now. Back to the weight bench. It's sooooo hard to get a workout program going again. I know that once I make it routine it will be okay, but it's that first and second workout that are hard to start.

I definitely need to strengthen my back muscles. I've developed a slouch that doesn't look good nor help my balance on skates.

I'll start working out tonight after I get home from work. Okay, after I get home from work and take a nap. :oops: :lol:

batikat
02-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Only one lesson this week as it's half term so I took a break. Braved my lesson during the morning public session today though. Rink was absolutely packed and it was impossible to practice anything much. Did manage a couple of centred spins though (they had to be - there was no room to travel!). The only good thing about it was that compared to most people on the rink I looked pretty good!:D
Had my lesson in a coned off area and luckily there was only me and a group lesson of beginners who clung to the walls the whole time and left lots of space for me!

Did some really good 3 jumps (after advice from my kids last week - I tried to copy my daughters lovely rhythm into this jump and tried to heed my sons advice. He said "Mum - you are so scared of the landing that you are turning your foot into the landing position before you even take off - no wonder you don't get anywhere." Thinking about it I realised he was right so I am working hard on just jumping with speed and oomph, kicking my Free leg through and not worrying about the landing and it is working!). My toe-loops are improving and even the dreaded salchow showed up a couple of times. The loop jump was as elusive as ever:cry:
Tried and miserably failed to do back twizzles though the forward ones aren't too bad (I need these for my Free Dance).

Stayed behind the cones for a half hour of practice with just me and one other beginner having a lesson and quite enjoyed practising my spins and jumps. I think I may have overdone it though, as none of the usual crowd were there and with no one to talk to I didn't take the chat breaks I normally do. I expect my muscles will be complaining tomorrow!

jazzpants
02-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Wowza:
Backspin near the wall is definitely happening. One of my fellow skaters (a Bronze level skater) came up to me afterwards to tell me that my backspins look really nice... in fact they're better than hers. I had to tell her "now if I could only do that AWAY from the wall, I'll be happy!!!" :P

Moves are coming along quite well. My 3turns are stable still... and I could definitely do the power 3's on the line at least. (Coach made me do my stronger side on the pattern. I wouldn't do the weaker side on the pattern...)

Wimpy:
The LFO3 are stable but still a bit wimpy...and b/c of that, my power 3's on that side is still weak... (though I could do them...) I need more power now for this particular moves... and THEN I might have a remote chance of taking that Bronze Moves test soon. :roll:

Loops are better but still two footed... CRAP!!! :frus:

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2003, 03:31 AM
I was thinking yesterday, maybe I shouldn't post about dance club, since really, that is the time when one stops practising and is not having a lesson, but putting one's skills into practice! OK, so not as much as in a competition, but you only have 4-5 competitions a year, and dance club is nearly every week, if not more often!

But we had fun. Social dancing always is fun, even if your boots nearly slide from under you during the Golden Skaters' Waltz and you then bottle the next wide-step as a consequence..... did a lovely Riverside, but went flat on the end pattern; Swing Dance as dire as always, but I don't dread it like I used. Had dreadful cramp and had to take my boot off so missed the Fiesta completely! Good. I do NOT like that dance. Walked one of the beginners through a Golden Skaters..... and so it goes.

tidesong
02-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey sk8er1964 high five on the axel!!!

My axel didn't disappear during my lesson, went on to double sal, and double toe

Still not landing double sal on one foot. Tried very hard to land on one foot and ended up underrotating the jump... arrgh

Double toe: oscillating between delaying too much and then closing, and pulling in straight away. Both get me no where with the jump. Did one with 1 3/4 rotations, good enough for the moment :)

tried double loop on my own after the lesson, still on its way...

Spins ok... worked on camel during lesson, can't believe I lost the consistency with camel again...

Got to start working on back flexibility... I am appalled at my attempt at the donut spin...

MissIndigo
02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
No wowza's this week at all!

Our town was hit by a really bad ice storm this week-- 3/4 of us are without power, including me! It may be Monday before we get it back.

I did have one encounter with the ice this week, but not like I would have wanted--our school did not sand or salt the stairs in our parking deck. :roll: No traction, black ice everywhere...today I am sitting here with a pulled right hip flexor, achy back and neck, and sore arms and shoulders. Not hard to guess what happened. :evil:

garyc254
02-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
I did have one encounter with the ice this week, but not like I would have wanted

OUCH!!!!!!! Lots of ice packs and NSAIDs.

I fell weekend before last on the driveway. No major injuries, but it sure reminded me to BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

I should have worn my skates. ;) :lol:

sk8er1964
02-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
today I am sitting here with a pulled right hip flexor, achy back and neck, and sore arms and shoulders. Not hard to guess what happened. :evil:

Miss Indigo - please be careful with that hip flexor. That's my problem and it's an absolutely painful devil.

Wimpy & woeful -

Withdrew from the championship gold event tomorrow. The leg simply is not healthy enough for this event. Coach thinks that I should withdraw from the open event Sunday too, but I couldn't bring myself to withdraw from that one yet. I suspect that my leg won't be any better tomorrow either, and I'll end up withdrawing from that one too.

I am so disappointed :( . But Coach and I agreed that we don't want to be having this conversation right before AN - I'll be taking all next week off to see if this thing won't just heal once and for all.

I'll be there tomorrow anyway to cheer people on and to do the social skate (at least stroking doesn't hurt.)

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Went down to skate the teatime patch. I've had bad lace-bite for some weeks on my left foot, and it has just been getting worse and worse lately. Then last night I had such bad cramp in my foot that I could barely skate, and the same tonight.

You guessed it - my boots are shot! They are still supportive on the outside, but my coach reckons the internal support has probably broken down. They are at least five years old, if not six, so have done me sterling service, and not a minute's pain until recently. :cry:

So tomorrow's patch will probably be the last time I skate in them, as I've made an appointment to see the Skate Man tomorrow, and I am NOT looking forward to Sunday! :(

Meanwhile, I didn't do all that much because it hurt, but worked hard on my Mohawks and think I'm making progress. Tried patch, but whichever end of the rink I went, this particular teacher seemed to want to put her pupils through their paces! My coach had a dance pupil so did a solo on the Canasta Tango and Dutch Waltz and nearly scared myself silly, as I seem at last to be getting more flow on my swing rolls. I am going to have to enlarge my comfort zone, I think..... oh dear.

:cry:

dbny
02-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Wowza:
Backspin near the wall is definitely happening. One of my fellow skaters (a Bronze level skater) came up to me afterwards to tell me that my backspins look really nice... in fact they're better than hers. I had to tell her "now if I could only do that AWAY from the wall, I'll be happy!!!" :P

Congrats on the backspin!
I'm scared to do my spins near the wall for fear of whacking my head against it if I should fall. This has been reinforced by a nasty accident I had almost two weeks ago. On a public session (where else :roll: ) a kid skating out of control crashed right in front of me and I caught my toepick trying to avoid hitting him. I went flying into the wall sideways and very hard. The left side of my head hit, forcing my neck very sharply to the right and slamming my shoulder into the wall also. The large green bruise by my eye has disappeared, my shoulder and back are OK now, but my neck is still painful and stiff. Do be careful of that wall.

sk8er1964 and MIssIndigo Sorry to hear about your injuries. Get well soon!

jazzpants
03-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Congrats on the backspin!
I'm scared to do my spins near the wall for fear of whacking my head against it if I should fall. This has been reinforced by a nasty accident I had almost two weeks ago. On a public session (where else :roll: ) a kid skating out of control crashed right in front of me and I caught my toepick trying to avoid hitting him. I went flying into the wall sideways and very hard. The left side of my head hit, forcing my neck very sharply to the right and slamming my shoulder into the wall also. The large green bruise by my eye has disappeared, my shoulder and back are OK now, but my neck is still painful and stiff. Do be careful of that wall.Thank you!!! :D :D :D I'm still flying high from the lesson!!! I can't believe that after all this time I not only am doing backspins but back scratch spins, never mind at a normal (not too fast, not too slow) speed!!! WOW!!! 8O And have more than one eyewitness too!!! WOO HOO!!! I don't wanna wake from THIS dream!!! :D

One thing I should clarify... by skating near the wall, I meant the hockey box, which is definitely not tall enough for me to hit my head. It's just at the right height for me to grab "something"!!! :D

sk8er1964 and MIssIndigo Sorry to hear about your injuries. Get well soon! I'll add my condolences too!!! You two get well *REAL* soon now, 'ya hear??? ;)

Mrs Redboots
03-01-2003, 06:09 AM
You may dream, Jazzpants, you may dream..... but last night I was half-dreaming, half-visualising myself doing a European waltz, solo. And guess what, even in my visualisation I bottled out of the first 3-turn!!!!! I was SO CROSS that it persisted even when I woke, and I had to play with the European (which I am not really able for yet, but that doesn't stop me) at patch this morning! And yes, I do bottle that first 3..... but when I can't even imagine myself doing it, what hope is there for me, I ask?

Good patch - my tendon still hurt, and I agree, my boots are done for, there's very little support there. But no cramp, and not nearly as painful as last night. Didn't work out much with Robert, although we did a couple of laps of fast chasses together, which felt good. Also worked on figures, which I am sure is affecting the way we both skate - we are much more on the backs of our blades now, which is half-nice (better flow!) and half-scary (better flow!).... We also both worked on our Mohawks, trying to get the timing right. Gack.

And now to go and buy some new boots - an expensive afternoon.....

skaternum
03-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Yay, jazzpants! I skate Silver, and I still wouldn't call my backspin a "scratch." It's more like a back SCRAPE spin. You go, girl!

Mrs Redboots
03-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Earlier today, I wrote:
And now to go and buy some new boots - an expensive afternoon..... Well, we didn't buy new boots - the Skate Man did a bit of magic on them (mine and Robert's both), and they fit a lot better now. So we bought a new car instead! Definitely an expensive afternoon!

dbny
03-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Well, we didn't buy new boots - the Skate Man did a bit of magic on them (mine and Robert's both), and they fit a lot better now. So we bought a new car instead! Definitely an expensive afternoon!

I had no idea boots were that expensive in the UK :lol:

Congrats on the new car.