View Full Version : Basic Ice Skating Skills - 1968

dbny
02-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I just got this book on half.com. It's an official handbook prepared for the USFSA by Robert S. Ogilvie. I thought it might be interesting and the price was right. Here's a quote that cracked me up:

"Clothing
For girls, and ladies as well, the usual skating outfit consists of suntan Danskin tights, a short skating skirt (often pleated) with brief skating pants to match the skirt..." ...... "Note that we say the pants should match the skirt; there is a tendency not to do this nowadays, but it is advisable unless you want to focus attention on your rear, which very few ladies wish to do."

The book has indeed turned out to be interesting, for several reasons. The author specifies when the US terminology is different in that of the UK, and discusses technical points that were still being worked out at the time, such as back progressives, advising anyone preparing to test to follow their coach's instructions. There are many such tidbits throughout. I was also pleased to note that the skaters pictured were mostly of medium build, as opposed to Twiggy thin.

flo
02-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi, The Olgivies teach at our rink in Baltimore. They were pair skaters. I see him once in a while in the morning. You could probably get him to sign your book.

garyc254
02-21-2003, 04:22 PM
What a difference 35 years makes. :lol:

jazzshoes
02-21-2003, 05:56 PM
I used to check that book out of the library when I was a kid! I believe Ogilvie was Audrey Weisiger's coach.

skateflo
02-22-2003, 05:54 AM
Nice to see someone discover this book! I so wish we had a 2003 version that covers the basics as well. I think the best thing (and reassuring to those just starting) is the discussion and photos of the most common mistakes and how to correct them. I still look at this book when I need to review some basics.

The closest in the years since this was published are books by Petkevich and the new one by Kerrigan. Also Skater's Edge magazine (technical articles) although defunct, you can still get their issues via their web page (10 years worth!)

As to style of ladies apparrel, it sure has changed over the years!! Recently there has been a return to simplicity that allows you to focus more on the skating than the dress. I like that. My other wish is that more skaters would not cover their boots all the way with their hose. Yes, it makes the legs look longer, but again, I like to see the boots/blades - after all it is skating not a run way show....just a personal preference.

kayskate
02-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by dbny
I was also pleased to note that the skaters pictured were mostly of medium build, as opposed to Twiggy thin.

JMO, but I think skaters have gotten younger and thinner since school fis were eliminated from competition. This probably started even earlier as the emphasis changed to triple jumps. I am thinking of ladies, in particular.

Kay

vesperholly
02-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by skateflo
As to style of ladies apparrel, it sure has changed over the years!! Recently there has been a return to simplicity that allows you to focus more on the skating than the dress. I like that. My other wish is that more skaters would not cover their boots all the way with their hose. Yes, it makes the legs look longer, but again, I like to see the boots/blades - after all it is skating not a run way show....just a personal preference.

When I first started skating, the big thing was to wear spandex stirrup pants in a bright color (hot pink or royal blue) that had a diagonal "insert" on the shin/calf of one leg in a bright flower pattern. Over that you wore a really short double-layered skirt - the bottom layer was the flower pattern and the top layer was the solid color. The top was usually a turtleneck under a sweatshirt from a skating competition.

Jocelyn

Aussie Willy
02-23-2003, 04:49 AM
I have another book by the same author titled "Competitive figure skating: a parent's guide". Published in 1985. I got it from the public library I used to work at and they never got it back (it mysteriously got "lost" at my house).

skaternum
02-24-2003, 01:56 PM
My other wish is that more skaters would not cover their boots all the way with their hose. Yes, it makes the legs look longer, but again, I like to see the boots/blades - after all it is skating not a run way show....just a personal preference.

Personally, I think over-the-boot tights make you like you have hooves instead of feet & skates. ;) I still wear them sometimes, but I feel like a horse. And while everyone says they make the legs look longer, I think they make very heavy legs look even lumpier.

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2003, 08:08 AM
My other wish is that more skaters would not cover their boots all the way with their hose. Yes, it makes the legs look longer, but again, I like to see the boots/blades - after all it is skating not a run way show....just a personal preference. Trust me, dear, you wouldn't want to see my boots! No matter how careful I am to polish them frequently, look after them carefully, they are still scruffy! So I cover them, with boot covers for practice and with over-boot tights for competition.

I actually prefer the look of over-boot tights, myself, but as you say, it is a matter of personal preference.

flo
11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi,
For any in the Baltimore Area, Mr. Bob Olgivie will be giving a special class at the club session on Saturday. It will be on edges, footwork and control. He has been giving lessons at club lately for the advanced jump and spin class, and wants to try out a class for those interested in working on refining edges. It's open to 15year olds + who have the basic edges.
If you come as a guest to club (10-12:30) $10, you will be able to take his class as well as the general freestyle and dance classes.
Thanks

RNsk8r
11-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Flo, Do you have more details about the class? I am definitely interested. Time of the class, and location would be helpful. Thanks

montanarose
11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
I also have Ogilvie's book . . . it's part of my "skating classics" library along with Maribel Vinson Owen's "The Fun Of Figure Skating" (my all-time fave, BTW) and the Petkevich book. As someone else said, I particularly like his description -- pictures included -- of common errors and faults for each move. After all, where else can one see oneself in the pages of a figure skating book? :lol:

mikawendy
11-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by flo
Hi,
For any in the Baltimore Area, Mr. Bob Olgivie will be giving a special class at the club session on Saturday. It will be on edges, footwork and control. He has been giving lessons at club lately for the advanced jump and spin class, and wants to try out a class for those interested in working on refining edges. It's open to 15year olds + who have the basic edges.
If you come as a guest to club (10-12:30) $10, you will be able to take his class as well as the general freestyle and dance classes.
Thanks

Flo-
Will this be an ongoing or one-time class? I have group FS lessons on Saturday but we have no lesson on 11/29 (Thanksgiving weekend). Is he giving class on that weekend, or is there no club at all that day?

Raine
11-11-2003, 08:21 AM
As a recreational skater, I learned how to do a scratch spin and basic edges by reading "Basic Ice Skating Skills". I'm happy to learn that Mr. Ogilvie is still dispensing his knowledge all these years later.

I also enjoy the historical nature of this thread. Skating has a fascinating history, but it seems that few people are interested in it. :(

Cheers,
Raine

flo
11-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi,
If there's interest in the class, we will have it as a regular offering for the club. With my club you can guest a few times before you join, and see how you like it.
Club starts at 10:00. From 10-10:15 warm up. 10:15-10:30 fs classes on 1/2 ice, and other 1/2 is open. At 10:30-10:45 is the second 1/2 of lessons, including advanced jump and spin. 10:45-11:05 is dance lessons. 11:05 - 12 is open. At 12 we run programs (there's usually only a couple of us) and the skaters give way to the programs, otherwise it's open ice.
Mr Olgivie's class will be at 11:05.
The rink is Northwest Ice Rink in Baltimore.
Mika, I believe we will be there on Thanksgiving Saturday. I'll ask Mr. Olgilvie if he will be the there.
If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

mary
11-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Personally, I think over-the-boot tights make you like you have hooves instead of feet & skates.

LOL:D :lol:

CanAmSk8ter
11-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
When I first started skating, the big thing was to wear spandex stirrup pants in a bright color (hot pink or royal blue) that had a diagonal "insert" on the shin/calf of one leg in a bright flower pattern. Over that you wore a really short double-layered skirt - the bottom layer was the flower pattern and the top layer was the solid color. The top was usually a turtleneck under a sweatshirt from a skating competition.

Jocelyn

OMG I had a bunch of those outfits, and I would die of embarassment if I had to wear one now! And the poofy skirts, not the flat ones, that made everyone's butt look six inches bigger than it really was! Kind of the skaters' version of eighties/nineties fashion- "what were we thinking?" Thanks for the laugh!

Moto Guzzi
11-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
I have another book by the same author titled "Competitive figure skating: a parent's guide". Published in 1985. I got it from the public library I used to work at and they never got it back (it mysteriously got "lost" at my house).

I have that book, too, but had to pay for my copy. :lol:

Did you notice the pictures of Audrey Weisiger demonstrating some of the jumps? I'd have to look at my copy to see which ones but, if I remember correctly, one of them was the lutz.