View Full Version : Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Black Sheep
02-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Ever since I got back from AN last April, I've been working hard for this year's Adult Sectionals and Nationals. I have two new programs I'm dying to show off, and I really want everyone to see just how much I've improved since last year!

Unfortunately, due to my current situation with my coach (see the thread entitled "I'm Afraid of My Coach") who isn't even coming to see me compete(!), I've had second thoughts recently. Also, my poor old mom is afraid of me making that long trip by myself, even though I know in my heart that I'm a "big girl" and know I can take care of myself just fine!

However, it would be a shame to back out of something I've worked so hard on for so long. I've worked too hard on my skating and attitude to throw it all away. I figure as long as I'm happy and people have confidence in me, I'll do just fine!

P.S. I'm also missing two show rehearsals to do Sectionals. I've explained this to the choreographers (that this is for a qualifying event I've worked on since last year) and they said, "Fine, as long as it's just one rehearsal per group number [and I'm only in two of those, plus my solo]."

Mel1977
02-20-2003, 07:09 PM
I think you should go to the competitions. If you have worked so hard to get there, it would be a shame not to stick with it. Competing, especially at the sectional/national level is a big deal, I would say bigger than any ice show. I gave up being in our ice show this year so I could focus on nationals. I totally understand your situation, my coach isn't coming either. Do you have a friend that you could bring with you, so you wouldn't have to make the trip alone? Maybe that would make your mom feel better. Chicago to Ann Arbor isn't so long. If you have a close friend you could bring along it might make it a fun road trip, in addition to a great competition. I think you should stick with it. Good luck, I know it's a hard decision to make.

P.S. If you don't mind me asking...what happened there last year? You have made several references on the boards to not having such a great experience last year. I'm going for the first time this year, and I want to be prepared for anything that could be negative.

Hang in there, things will work out!

garyc254
02-20-2003, 08:08 PM
ABSOLUTELY GO FOR IT!!!!!!

You may never pass this way again.

NEVER turn away from an opportunity to do something you've worked this hard for. You don't need a coach there. Your post shows that you have plenty of confidence in your abilities.

And "YES" take a friend or two or three with you. Book a room together and split the cost. Make it a "road trip".

Go, enjoy, and have lots of fun!!!

sk8er1964
02-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Come on out, Black Sheep. I'm hurt, with no axel right now, and I'll still compete...(wait a minute, should I be mentioning this to the competition? :?? LOL)

Black Sheep
02-20-2003, 08:53 PM
I'd love to have somebody to make the drive up with but, unfortunately, everybody's always on different schedules. :roll:

Sandra L
02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I think you should go!!!

Judy
02-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Black sheep GO FOR IT!!!! No way should you give up what you have trained for, coach or no coach. Somtimes in life you just have to take things into your own hands!!!

Black Sheep
02-20-2003, 10:47 PM
If the snow has cleared up around Wyandotte, MI, by then, I should be fine. I'll take breaks on the drive up.

When I get there, I won't be alone because I'm sure I'll have my fellow hometown skaters there to support me! 8-)

Judy
02-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Black Sheep, the weather is good in Michigan around wyandotte.The weather is very mild here tonight .most of the snow on the ground is gone. also the roads are clear as can be. I live across the border in Windsor .

Black Sheep
02-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Judy
Black Sheep, the weather is good in Michigan around wyandotte.The weather is very mild here tonight .most of the snow on the ground is gone. also the roads are clear as can be. I live across the border in Windsor .

Sounds great--thanks, Judy! :D

Judy
02-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Where is the competition being held? My daughter trains at DSC so I am over there most of the time.

Mrs Redboots
02-21-2003, 03:33 AM
For pity's sweet sake, woman, go. You really don't need a coach at competitions, there's always someone around who'll put you on the ice and hold your bag and your water-bottle. If your mother doesn't want you to go all that way alone, take her with you and make her do that. What are mothers for.... (mine, if she comes to competitions, always has to video me, that's the rule!).

sk8er1964
02-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Judy
Where is the competition being held? My daughter trains at DSC so I am over there most of the time.

It is a Yack Arena in Wyandotte. It's kind of a combined competition - Adult Sectionals to qualify for the Championship Masters and Championship Gold events at Adult Nationals in April, and the North American Invitational for all other events.

BTW, Black Sheep, what about the train? I have no idea what the cost or schedules are, but Amtrack runs from Chicago to Ann Arbor (in fact, I can see them go by outside my window at work). If you took it into Ann Arbor, I could possibly drive you to your hotel, depending on the time. I have practice ice at 6:10 on Friday, and I work just outside of Ann Arbor.

flo
02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Blacksheep, what events are you entering?
The Wyandotte events are usually very well run, and there will be lots of very helpful folks there if you have any problems. I like the idea of bringing your mom. Then she can see why you enjoy it so much!

Black Sheep
02-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement! At this point, I'm actually still going, even though my mom says there's just no way she can go with me (because right now my parents are in the middle of retiring and selling their house). It won't be the first time I've driven 5-6 hours by myself.

flo: I'm competing in Championship Gold Ladies at 1:50 p.m. Saturday and Masters Interp. I at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday. How about you??

8-)

CanAmSk8ter
02-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Go for it! I'm going to Easterns in two weeks. I'm injured and skating pretty badly, but it's the first year any Sectionals- for that matter, any adult comp that I'm aware of- has opened up dance events to my age group (Young Adult), so I have no intention of missing it!

Mrs Redboots
02-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
It won't be the first time I've driven 5-6 hours by myself. If you are a kind daughter, you will telephone your parents as soon as you arrive. I know myself - I don't worry in the slightest about my family driving as long as I am with them - but if my daughter is driving home I always ask her to ring when she arrives, just to be sure.... she lives about 5-6 hours away. This time, though, she is going by train.