View Full Version : Need support for starting back .....

TashaKat
02-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Since I broke my wrist in August I've never really got back into skating again :( Being dumped by my coach when I DID come back hasn't helped matters ...... I HATE not learning!

I'm not scared, I've already been back on the ice and done all the jumps that I was doing previously AND the dreaded back3 on which I broke my wrist!

I'm just disillusioned and demotivated. I INTEND starting back at the beginning of March (it's pointless paying £60 for two weeks ice) but I said that at the beginning of February!

Please can you guys give me lots of reasons that will make me want to start up again and remember why I loved it to start with?

Ta

L x

JDC1
02-20-2003, 08:47 AM
It's funny but I'm nursing tendontitis so I haven't been skating much lately and I really miss it because -

1) it feels like flying
2) I totally forget all my troubles while I'm skating
3) I can feel my body getting stronger as I skate
4) I see my skate "buddies" and we bond
5) I push myself hard every time I skate, nowhere else in my life do I work this hard
6)When I finish skating I feel 5 pounds lighter and 5 years younger
7)I get to feel like a kid again
8) I like to improvise to music and can feel the music flowing through me.

dbny
02-20-2003, 09:47 AM
Well, I broke my wrist the previous August and would not have come back except for my new custom Klingbeils and my success with losing weight. I couldn't do half what you can, and still can't, and have a lot of fear on top of that. If my coach hadn't coaxed me into that first returning lesson, I still might not have come back even though I had my skates on and had paid for a freestyle session. It took me almost a year to find the joy in skating again, so I probably don't have much to offer you; however, I did manage to find it again.

One thing that helped a lot was my wonderful coach. I went into almost every lesson feeling like I really didn't want to skate, and came out feeling exuberant, capable, and "skaterly." So, I would say, find yourself another coach who will help you rediscover the joy. Focus on a particular element that you especially enjoy and do it every time you feel discouraged. For me right now, it's the one foot spin and back cross strokes. Also, go to a public session and let people tell you how great you skate :lol: If you can, find someone to help out a bit. Hang in there:!:

backspin
02-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I would suggest picking a piece of music you LOVE, & doing your own choreography to make a training program--not for competition, no rules, just whatever your favorite things are. Buy yourself a pretty new dress (every new program needs a new dress! ;) ) once you have it done.

Sometimes I like to watch the very beginners on public sessions or beginning group classes--to watch the magic of gliding across the ice by someone with no skill at all.....I also like to play with edges myself, just to have that feeling, almost like tracing figures, except I'm just making it up---start on a nice edge, hold it for awhile, change to another foot or change the edge, give a push & do 1 crossover or 3-turn, glide on that edge awhile.....just playing quietly. Does that make sense?

Also, I, too, like to improvise to whatever's playing at the moment, be it another person's program or just the radio.

Don't be too hard on yourself; maybe finding another coach will help too!

melanieuk
02-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Some of it has been said before:

You loved it for years.
It takes your mind of other worries for a while.
It keeps you fit.
It's rewarding.
You get to see your skating pals.
You get to be a kid!
You can't quit till you get a really good backspin!
The fresh air clears your head.
You can skate with me!
You need to use up those purple Harlicks.
You have a nice dance coach. ;)

Chico
02-20-2003, 06:08 PM
I don't suppose you want a novel. =-)

1. Time for just yourself. A quiet place to escape to be just you.

2. An awesome "list" of challenges. I absolutely love this endless list of things to learn. Somehow I find this reassuring.

3. The wonderful feeling of flying.

4. The high of doing what you never really felt positive you would accomplish. AND finding it's not hard anymore, in fact something new is your challenge.

5. Friends who understand your compulsion and don't think it's strange. Only fellow skaters GET your screaming fit over finally doing " ". Friends of all ages and genders.

6. A place to play and dance and it's perfectly okay for an adult to do so. I floor jump and "dance" before I skate at the rink and nobody thinks twice about me doing so. I get to feel like a kid again and this is pretty nice! (I've been surprised since I've been skating to find that there is STILL one in me. I hope that skating always keeps one here too!)

7. I'm not an Olympic champion or anything, darn, but I do feel I've found a special talent for this sport in me. It feels pretty good to find this!

I could go on forever, my love for this sport is huge, but I'm trying to keep this a chapter book.

I bet you'll only need to skate a few times lynne to find your joy once again. Best wishes!

Chico

wannask8
02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
. . . I'll just add that some of us really miss your humorous and inspiring skating stories and are looking forward to hearing more of them!

-- wannask8

Sandra L
02-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Who needs a coach! :P (just kidding, he he) Oh well, you know, coming back from almost a year's break, one of the things that I'm enjoying is that I 'm not taking lessons. Let's take a look at skating life without a coach:

You do whatever you feel like doing, you experiment more, you can get advice from anyone, without concerns of hurting your coach's feelings or whatever, you improvise, listen to your own body and go with the music, chose it as you want because you want. Eventually you are going to be with a coach again, but for now... enjoy the freedom!! I love backspin's idea about choreographing your own program, choosing the dress, the music... without any pressure of tests or competition. Just for fun. I think I'll do that, myself too :D

And yes, we love your reports and pictures! xoxo

TashaKat
02-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Thanks guys :)

I'm heading for going back on Tuesday ....... let's see what happens then!

Keep up the comments :) It's nice to hear the good things.

L x

Mrs Redboots
02-21-2003, 03:43 AM
I still say, and always will, that competing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Mind you, the week before the competition I'm always like, "Why did I think this was a good idea?".... but it always was, even if we skate badly on the day, as has happened (like last Oxford Seniors, only you didn't come, Lynne).

But everyday work is fun, too: you spend hours working on a move, and see it gradually improve, and realise that now it is coming easily to you whereas six weeks ago you could barely do it. You work out practice routines, and put yourself through them. You can spin and jump, if you want to, or you can dance - or, best of all worlds, you can do both! I'm not just such a fan of social dancing as my husband is, but I still enjoy it, if the rink isn't too crowded. Especially if there are some decent men there to prop me through the 14-step and the Foxtrot! And what better way to relax at the end of a hard session - or a hard day's work, come to that - than by dancing?

Okay, so I'm posting and not skating, but that's because I am very busy today! So I'm wasting time at home, instead of wasting it at the rink, and feeling virtuous.....

kayskate
02-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Go out on the ice and do whatever you feel like doing. Avoid pressuring yourself w/ skills that make you uncomfortable. I think some of the difficulty in going back stems from the frustrations associated w/ skating. Skating is very challenging, and that is not always rewarding. However, you are an accomplished skater. Go out and do whatever you enjoy. Rediscover your love of skating before you pressure yourself to improve. You will also want to regain your level of comfort before you try anything on the fringe of your abilities.

Best wishes,
Kay
(who has only been on the ice sporadically for the last few months)

dooobedooo
02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Go in on a nice quiet training ice session, with only a couple of other skaters on the ice.

Take your program music with you.

Play your program music and just enjoy skating to it. Skip any fluffy bits and just skate to the music.

Expreeeess yaaself! As they say ... Time will fly by, and I'm sure you'll want to get back to it.