View Full Version : Question about the loop...

Sandra L
02-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted, had to take some time off skating, writing my thesis, etc. Now I'm back on the ice, and progress is slow... or not. It looks like I might have landed my loop, but, I don't think so. My friends do!

I'm not taking lessons right now, just coming back slowly. Anyway, I've been trying to land the loop for two years or so... :?? Now I came back after almost a year break, and gave it some tries. Last year, I used to have half a loop, landing it forwards. Now I came up with a "new technique" ;) and hold the outside edge for an extra half revolution (on the ice) and then jump, landing backwards. But it's really just a half jump, only difference is, I'm landing it backwards and checking out nicely. My friends are telling me that that's it! I just don't get it...

Does this sound like I've really got it, or is it just some better cheating going on here?! What do you guys think? Please share your loop frustrations (and some good technique too) pleeez!!!

twinkle
02-20-2003, 07:34 AM
You could find out by looking at your tracing on the ice. The loop will normally have a small hook on the takeoff edge, but if you see a loop, that means your skate is staying on the ice for the first 1/2 rev. You can also check whether you are landing backwards.

Otherwise without seeing it I can't really tell if you're doing it right or not. How advanced are your friends? If they can do the single jumps themselves then they probably know what they're talking about. Maybe you don't stay on the ice as long as you think you do.

TashaKat
02-20-2003, 08:31 AM
As Twinkle says it's pretty difficult to tell without looking at the tracings or have a coach look at you!

Be careful, though not to get used to this technique if it is incorrect. I have learned from BITTER experience that it is far, far easier to learn bad techniques than it is to UNLEARN them again!

Good luck

L x

Sandra L
02-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Thank you for your replies!

Originally posted by twinkle
You could find out by looking at your tracing on the ice. The loop will normally have a small hook on the takeoff edge, but if you see a loop, that means your skate is staying on the ice for the first 1/2 rev. You can also check whether you are landing backwards.

The tracing is definitely a deep hook (toe-pick, yikes), not a loop. That means, I'm taking off from the toe-pick, not he edge. But again, that's similar to how I've learned the salchow from a coach, hold the edge... then jump off the toe pick, innit. I know that I'm landing backwards, and that hooking+jumping=full rotation because I look at the signs on the wall of the arena to check that :)

Otherwise without seeing it I can't really tell if you're doing it right or not. How advanced are your friends? If they can do the single jumps themselves then they probably know what they're talking about. Maybe you don't stay on the ice as long as you think you do.

I've been skating with the University Figure skating "Club", well, it's not like your regular FS Club, just ice time available for FS only. Level is from preliminary and up. So, we have people doing double jumps, dances, single jumps... quite varied, but we are not that many. One of my friends that has doubles, watched me struggling with my "new technique" and told me that I almost had it. Next time I came out, she wasn't there and I practiced like crazy, then the others told me me that was it!!! But it feels like half a jump. Off the ice I do a single loop that does feels like a single loop... :roll:

Sandra L
02-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
As Twinkle says it's pretty difficult to tell without looking at the tracings or have a coach look at you!

Be careful, though not to get used to this technique if it is incorrect. I have learned from BITTER experience that it is far, far easier to learn bad techniques than it is to UNLEARN them again!

Good luck

L x

I know!! That's what I fear the most... to get used to a bad habit. I had to relearn the salchow, because I was pointing my toe to the ceiling before take off. My coach wouldn't allow that. Can you imagine how I felt wathing some skater getting Oly gold doing just that!!!! :?? LOL

Anyway, I want to get this right...

kayskate
02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Single jumps are really a misnomer, as the require less than 360 degrees of rotation in the air. You will see a check mark on the ice at your take off point.

Kay

lizzz
02-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Sandra, your toe pick is the last thing that leaves the ice even on an edge jump. The tracing sounds just fine. We should get together and go skating! Are you still doing synchro?
Liz

Sandra L
02-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by lizzz
Sandra, your toe pick is the last thing that leaves the ice even on an edge jump. The tracing sounds just fine. We should get together and go skating! Are you still doing synchro?
Liz

Hi!! Liz, you should see this one! Problem is, the toe-pick is a bit reluctant to leave that ice, innit, but otherwise I would be still landing it forwards, the truth must be said, LOL.

My shoulder problem agravated too much, so I'm not skating synchro this year. Who knows, maybe next year...

Yay, let's get together and skate, I'm skating at the U every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the FS Club and stay for rec skating too.

PM me if you'd like to skate at the Mall, I still have my "Big Ten" gotta use it up... See ya :D

sk8ing is lyfe
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi, i am landing 3loops.

what you need to do is.... ....

1. have your arms in right check (left arm over left leg) skating backwards on two feet (if you do it this way, otherwise you can adapt)

2. keeping your body as a unit (upper body and legs rotating as one), start the hook.

3. once you feel like you cant stay backwards anymore, start to release the pressure in your legs... and begin to jump off the toe...

4. have your leg (left) vault you off the ice in a 90 deg. angle (|_ )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . | |

4 (part 2). this should bring you forwards... then all you have to do is
close into the rotating position to complete the jump.

5. land!!!!!

Hope this helps.... this is the technique that i use

Sandra L
02-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Thank you for your advice, I guess now I'm actually in desperate need of a new technique to try!! I'll try that on Friday.

I went skating today really decided to have less hook and more jump... the result: I can't repeat what I was doing last week! Aaargh!! So I am totally frustrated, my friend told me that I need to hold that entrance longer - yes, that's what I was doing last week, but now it's gone, I lost that timing. So today I've just practiced the entrance and did a one or two rev backspin without jumping. Hmphf :??

sk8ing is lyfe
02-27-2003, 04:21 PM
thats a good idea... but what else you can try is doing a ***slow*** backspin and then jumping out of it as a simulation but the actual jump also... i practice this for my 3le....

but im warning you - u might fall hard the first couple of times so take it very slowly until u get the hang of it... this also reinforces proper line up of the upper and lower body

hope this helps...

GoldSeals
03-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi all,
Sandra..that is my favorite jump,or was because its the easiet jump for me.
Im like you.I just starting skating again after a 2 year break.I cant do the jump yet because of being away from skating too long.I just started back last week.Im only going to skate once a week till I get my skating legs back.
This is what I've found with skaters trying to do the loop jump.
Most try to just do a 3 turn in the air.This is not what your looking for.You want to do the turn on the the back outside edge while still on the ice.You then push off, and hop up in the air.If you bend your skating leg and hop of the ice off the edge it will work for you.That is the secret to doing the jump.,Try practicing hopping off your skating foot while skating backwards with the free leg in front.Make sure you squat down"bend" to the ice.Make sure your shoulders are square and level.Dont drop your right shoulder!
Like the other skaters here said,keep you left arm in front and your right arm back.Use the right arm pulling in and under to help the launch in the air.As soon as you launch in the air bring both arms in.
Hope this helps you.Like others say..it is much easier to tell you what your doing wrong while watching you actually do it.Regards, GoldSeals