View Full Version : Anyone using a Dyna Disk???

JD
02-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi, I'm thinking of getting my daughter one of these...since it is supposedly good for developing lower extremity muscle and balance....our sports dr recommended one and that it would help with muscle development over the next couple years....anyone here have any thoughts on it?

I've seen it on the websites, originally I thought it was like a spin board, but apparently looks more like an inflatable frisbee...hmmmm...

I guess they can do balance exercises, squats and other mysterious things...grin...

anyone using???

Elsy2
02-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I always feel bad when there are no replies....so here's one! ;) I don't know of anyone using the dyna disc, and it does look intriguing....the only bit of exercise equipment that gets any use in my house is a big Go Fit vinyl ball. The kids just love to roll on it, sit on it, whatever....who can resist a giant ball? We bought it for physical therapy, there are a series of excercises for balance and to strengthen muscles.....

But mostly it just gets played with......

I have a feeling the dyna disc would end up in my closet, along with my ab roller. Oh, and my exercise bike makes a great coat hanger!

"other mysterious things"??????? Hmmmmm....what did you have in mind?!!8O

JD
02-13-2003, 02:38 PM
"other mysterious things"....ok, now I'm ROTFL.....

I was meaning, exercises....as in, exercises that are a mystery to me!!!

The dyna disk is apparently something more stable than a giant gym ball, but anyway....

sorry to get you going!!!:oops:

jazzpants
02-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread... I had Yahoo problems... :(

Yes, I do use Dyna Disk for my physical training. In fact I use it along with my weight training for extra workout. (i.e. while I'm working on strength, I'm also working on core muscles, balance etc.) How effective is it? Well, I use the one at the gym, but I wouldn't run out and buy one myself...

JD
02-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Jazzpants,
thanks for the tip....it doesn't seem very expensive, and since ours doesn't have a gym....it might be useful..particularly if core strength is involved.....smile

jazzpants
02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
JD: I usually do two (one for each foot). That's what I did for my weight training. I've also tried one for both feet, but, of course, it depends on the exercise and whether you need a wide stance for your exercise.

FWIW, the way I recommend building core strength though, is either 1) Pilates, 2) the Reebok Core Training Program (http://www.reebok.com/US/CoreTraining/default.htm) and if all else, fails, 3) good ol' fashioned crunches and side crunches. 1) may not be the best option unless you have a trainer to at least get you started on the ball and the floor exercise. 2) is only at specialized gyms so that option is out. 3) is probably the best way to do this but even with this one I would recommend a trainer to at least get you started on it (to make sure your daughter is doing it right and all. Maybe your sports doc also could help get your daughter started on these too? He's not a trainer but he SHOULD know something about how to do these exercises.)

Good luck with these!

JD
02-14-2003, 02:36 PM
thanks Jazzpants,

yes she has a kinesiologist on staff at her centre who gave her a training program....we do work on the abs...she just finds her back hurts sometimes from lying on the floor mat....we were looking for some alternatives...and yes, Pilates...although...we were told that she couldn't do many of these exercises yet because she has not hit puberty...

we tend to have her ballet instructor at the rink studio work with her on flexibility moves....she was with Russian ballet and she is very, very flexible....