View Full Version : More Idiotic Zamboni Nonsense

dbny
02-09-2003, 07:20 PM
At today's public session, where my daughter and I both gave private lessons, during the ice cut, not only were there two teenage guards on the ice with the zam, but an adult was out there hauling around what appeared to be a barely upright 10 or 12 year old girl. I'm sure this guy must have been "family" to be allowed to do this. Guess what I think of that particular family? He set such an awful example, to say nothing of endangering the child. After a while, he parked her at one of the hockey boxes and amused himself by making close passes in front of the zamboni as it proceded down the ice.

If I'd had a camcorder, I would have sent a tape to their insurance company, and if I'd been their agent, I would have cancelled their policy on the spot. If that guy had slipped, it would have been one gory scene. (hmmm...too bad :twisted: ) I was super PO'd because my little student kept saying it must be OK because they were guards.

Figureskates
02-09-2003, 07:36 PM
WOW!!!

If that happened at our rink, those people would be out on their backsides in a heartbeat. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior what-so-ever...

Just what a 12 year old needs to see....someone pressed flat by a Zamboni...after a good filet job..

sk8er1964
02-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Isn't it amazing how many idiots there are in this world? Is there any way to alert the rink management before natural selection takes over and rids the world of these people? I know I wouldn't want my son to see that (because being 7 he'd want to try it) and I certainly wouldn't want to be around to witness them being chewed to bits by the zam. 8O What you are describing reminds me of playing chicken or riding a skateboard while holding onto the back of a car.

dbny
02-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Is there any way to alert the rink management before natural selection takes over and rids the world of these people?

Unfortunately, I think this guy is related to the rink managers. The big boss was in front while this was going on, and I'm in no position to rock the boat. My little student is almost 7, and I had suggested to her that we watch the zam, as it interrupted her lesson :x

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2003, 05:33 AM
I'm told this happened at our rink not so long ago, which was why the Zamboni ended up crashing into the boards - and apparently that particular driver isn't allowed to drive the Zam any more now, which is ridiculous, and often means the ice isn't cut overnight. Deep sigh.

rjblue
02-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Wow, I've been going to rinks all my life and I've never seen anyone skate while the zamboni is on the ice! Here, no one is allowed on the ice until the doors are shut behind the zamboni.

kayskate
02-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Just b/c the people are relatives will probably not release the rink from liability if they get hurt. It also sets a bad example for customers. Customers don't know these people have special permission and may try to go out too. Better that the rink not allow anyone so as not to create confusion.

At a rink where I skate, coaches bring their families for free and are often the rudest most selfish people on the ice. i wish rinks would give no one special privileges.

Kay

yuffie
02-10-2003, 11:29 AM
This calls for the saying: Stupid should hurt.

Black Sheep
02-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Seems to me like a Real TV or some caught-on-tape-and-shown-on-FOX type of moment waiting to happen....

dbny
02-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by kayskate
Just b/c the people are relatives will probably not release the rink from liability if they get hurt.

Of course not! But it makes it difficult to complain.

Originally posted by Black Sheep
Seems to me like a Real TV or some caught-on-tape-and-shown-on-FOX type of moment waiting to happen....

If that idiot had fallen in front of the Zam, they wouldn't have been able to show it on TV.

Black Sheep
02-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by dbny
If that idiot had fallen in front of the Zam, they wouldn't have been able to show it on TV.

Maybe on FX (a cable station). In general, it's appalling what some stations will show on TV these days.

GoldSeals
02-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by rjblue
Wow, I've been going to rinks all my life and I've never seen anyone skate while the zamboni is on the ice! Here, no one is allowed on the ice until the doors are shut behind the zamboni.

Hi,
I have seen people on the ice patching the holes left by the skaters.This was happening while the zamboni was resurfacing the ice.
In fact,at every National, and World Competition you will see plenty of people patching the ice while the zamboni is running.:D :lol:
Regards,GoldSeals ;)

garyc254
02-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by GoldSeals
In fact,at every National, and World Competition you will see plenty of people patching the ice while the zamboni is running.:D :lol:
Regards,GoldSeals ;)

And this is a calculated risk, much like a road repair crew takes.

Skating on the ice during a resurface is dangerous. I have seen one rink manager skate alongside his zam while instructing a rookie driver, but he kept his distance from the machine as he yelled instructions.