View Full Version : Glitter/Goo Lessons + Practices 9-15th Feb

icenut84
02-09-2003, 06:14 AM
This is for yesterday morning:

Glitter:

I LANDED MY FIRST EVER FLIP!!!!!!!! OMG, it was amazing!!!! We started on learning the entrance during a lesson before Christmas, and haven't worked on it since, but yesterday morning we concentrated on jumps in my lesson, got to the flip and after a couple of goes I did it!!! You should have seen me, I shrieked "WOO HOO!!" really loudly, lol. :mrgreen: Probably scared a few people! I just can't believe I did it! And I proved it wasn't a fluke by landing a couple more! I was beaming for the rest of the session, you could NOT wipe that smile off my face! :D Am I odd in thinking it's much easier than the loop? (Which took me a lot longer to land) :lol: (I was SO happy! lol. One more jump to go before starting on the axel... which both excites and scares me! lol)

Did other jumps during practice and in my lesson, and they were all pretty good. :) Waltz, salchow, toe loop, and also landed a few loops. The good thing with the loop is that the entrance is getting more consistent (before, I was doing it slightly differently every time, which isn't good when you're going for consistency), and my coach said some of them were actually getting quite a good jump, quite good distance. I've just got to concentrate on keeping my other foot off the ice.

Back cross rolls were pretty good, and I had a good dance lesson too :) Everything was pretty good! 3 turns were good.

Did all the field moves I learnt a couple of lessons ago, and they're all so much better than they were! BO3-mohawk sequence both ways, FO3-BO double 3 both ways, double 3s changing feet to do the other foot, then back again etc (both FO and FI double 3 sequences) were also much better.

Spins - weren't too bad. I got about 4.5 rotations from standstill going anti-clockwise. Most spins weren't quite as good as last week, but I could do them, and a few were quite good.

My edges were good, and there wasn't as many people as last week, though still quite a lot. The ice was better too.

I was really tired by the end! I really felt like I was on fire, really motivated, and I'd been twirling about practically non-stop! It was a fantastic feeling :mrgreen: (Can you tell I enjoyed myself? lol) And after the dance interval (I did all the dances solo), someone asked me to dance with him for one of them next week! lol

Goo:

Um... the session ended. And I hurt my toe a bit on a bunny hop! Lol

All in all, a great morning! I'm so glad I went now, I wasn't sure if I would because I wasn't feeling very well...

nutty-ducky
02-09-2003, 06:51 AM
CONGRATULATIONS RACHEL! WELL DONE! :D :D :D

I have my new skates and used them in my lesson.
Glitter:
I worked on my Novie Field Moves. Worked on my Forward Crossovers and I don't think I toe-pushed very much! :D I have to remember to push down harder in the knees.
Backward Crossovers in the anti-clockwise diretcion were quite good for someone who has brand new boots, but doing them in the other direction was not very good! :(
I did my Forward Spirals and they are so much better in the new boots. I actually surprised myself! :D
The Forward Inside and Outside edges were apparently excellent. The striking on them is excellent and I was told if I do it like that in my test I will pass them no problem.
Worked on the 3-Jump. We worked on the push down on the knee before the jump and it really does help to bend down really deep in the knee! It felt quite good in my new boots.
Also worked on the salchow. I couldn't do it at first in the boots, I would freak out just before it, but I did maage it in the end. It is much better than it was. I have to remember to hold the back inside edge for a bit longer and also pull in with the arms. I fell over doing the slachow when I actaully managed to jump but that was only the first time! :D

Goo:
My backward Crossovers in the clockwise direction were so hard to do. That isnt my strong side anyway and I had new boots. I really have to keep on working at this side.
Hope my skating goes very good tonight! :D

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Rachel, that's fantastic! I do long to see you skate.....

I, too, was jumping up and down going "Who-HOO" this morning, but this was at the news that we are to be allowed TWO dance intervals on a Thursday evening under the new regime. ALL UK SKATERS PLEASE NOTE! (The evening starts at 7.00 with Dance Club, and I'm afraid we're going to have to pay again to stay on, but worth it!).

Also good news that, although we will not longer be sold season tickets, we can buy as much patch ice as we want for £10.00 per week - a bargain if you have 3 or more patches per week, which I shall, I think.

But the important part:

Glitter: I think we got some good stuff done this morning. We were still having problems with our runs (progressives) round the circle in Reverse Kilian hold, especially going clockwise, but not too badly. And we were having serious problems doing swing rolls in waltz hold when Robert was going backwards. We showed this to our coach, and then he looked at what we did when I was going backwards (which was faster and smoother and we stayed in hold better). Reckon that it's down to my not pushing hard enough, so we tried that and I tried to push more, and to keep looking over Robert's right shoulder rather than moving my head about, and it was better.

Goo: My Mohawks! We walked through the end pattern of the Swing Dance, and with Robert doing the Mohawk it wasn't so bad. But when I had to do it - oh dear. First time of asking I tipped forwards and we ground to a halt. So the coach said to think of finishing in landing position (well, he didn't quite say it, but it was what he meant, only inside edge not outside, of course), so I tried that and nearly slipped and did wrench my back. Not too badly, but I'm aware I own one, if you see what I mean. Then we did the dance to the music, and of course the Mohawk went totally rushed and out of control..... Really frustrating.....

icenut84
02-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Rachel, that's fantastic! I do long to see you skate.....

:mrgreen: Why? lol

P.S. Another question for everyone - does anyone else like field moves? (moves in the field in the US, I think). I haven't done them for long but I really enjoy practicing the ones I've learnt so far, but posts from people I've read make me think not many people enjoy them, and my coach said most of the kids don't like them either. I love it though! :)

icenut84
02-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
We walked through the end pattern of the Swing Dance, and with Robert doing the Mohawk it wasn't so bad. But when I had to do it - oh dear. First time of asking I tipped forwards and we ground to a halt. <snip> Then we did the dance to the music, and of course the Mohawk went totally rushed and out of control..... Really frustrating.....

A tip my old coach gave me for the mohawk in the swing dance (which I couldn't do very well at first, my mohawks weren't exactly good), is you know the bit just before, when you're doing some forward steps? On the last two before you turn the mohawk, make them curve round more as if you're going to end up in front of your partner, as if you're skating round in a circle to end up in front of him facing him. The mohawk ends up smoother and with less of a jerk. Also, when you do the RFI edge for the mohawk, make it curvy and almost step it wide a little (instead of straight forward). These both make it easier, for me, and I think it means you don't need as much turnout for the mohawk, which might help too. Also, I noticed that it feels a lot better when I concentrate on using a lot of knee bend.

You probably know all that stuff anyway but hope it helps! :)

lisabelle
02-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
P.S. Another question for everyone - does anyone else like field moves?

yes! i guess im weird for it too, but i love doing moves in the field. the first test was a little too basic (probably b/c i was ready to test for 6 months before i could get to a test session) but after that they are more fun. but i guess thats cause i'm a little bizzare and i enjoy doing three turns and mohawks up and down the rink over and over....most people i know despise them.

AstarZ41
02-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Worked on really bending my knee after the push off in stroking and than gradually straightening it, then bending again... otherwise, my coach said my stroking is really good! Then we did a cross over inside edge sequence. You strat doing one RoL x-over then glide on LFI edge, then LoR x-over glide on RFI enge and so on. Those things are pretty fun!! hehe Then we did some forward x-overs both ways and my coach had me really twist at the waist and reach my back arm out..oww that hurt my back/shoulder after awhile. Skating hurts when done right!! :lol: The last thing we did was work on some waltz jumps for like 2 mins :)

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2003, 10:47 AM
A tip my old coach gave me for the mohawk in the swing dance (which I couldn't do very well at first, my mohawks weren't exactly good), is you know the bit just before, when you're doing some forward steps? On the last two before you turn the mohawk, make them curve round more as if you're going to end up in front of your partner, as if you're skating round in a circle to end up in front of him facing him. Indeed - but it does help if your partner is in the right place at the right time... still, we can only be doing this dance better than last year, and at that, it was better then than the year before..... One of these days we'll get it right!

The reason I long to see you skate is that you've made such superb progress. And yes, I like working on Field Moves and Dance Moves, too.

nutty-ducky
02-09-2003, 12:23 PM
P.S. Another question for everyone - does anyone else like field moves? (moves in the field in the US, I think). I haven't done them for long but I really enjoy practicing the ones I've learnt so far, but posts from people I've read make me think not many people enjoy them, and my coach said most of the kids don't like them either. I love it though! :)

I think that field moves are quite good but they make me tired easily. When I do my novice field moves I have to do them about twice in my lesson and I get so tired after it, and its right at the start of the lesson. I will hopefully be able to do my Novice Field Moves soon. On Thursday last week people in my rink were doing their tests. I was going to do my field moves but I got my papers too late and wasn't quite sure if NISA would except them so I am waiting, but I now have to do something called the passport scheme, does anyone in the UK know what you have to do for the passport scheme? Is it basically the stuff you do in Grade 10? Thanks :D

Debbie S
02-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Congratulations, Rachel!

It'll be a while before I get to start learning the flip, as I failed Freestyle 4 yesterday.

Glitter:
My sit spin, power 3's, and spirals were all good enough to pass level 4 and move up to the next level.

Goo:
My loop jump...um, stinks. Therefore, I need to repeat Freestyle 4 in the next lesson session. It wasn't a big surprise, really, since I never mastered the jump. When I do get off in the air, I never get a full or even 3/4 rotation, plus my free foot comes straight down on the ice - no running edge - and I end up bent forward. I suppose it's better than it was at the start of lessons, when I could barely get off the ground.

I thought the problem might be a lack of conditioning, b/c I hadn't been to the gym in a long time -my only exercise was skating. So I went to the gym and worked out two weeks ago, and felt rather sore the next day, and then a few days later heard on the news that several cases of Legionnaire's Disease had been reported from people who had worked out at my gym. Apparently, the bacteria that causes the disease is spread through water - showers, water fountains (both of which I've never used there), and air conditioning. Ugh! So, I've stayed away since. I may try to get there this week. A friend noted this was one of the few times exercise could be hazardous to one's health!

So I'm repeating Freestyle 4. Hopefully, my class will be mixed and have some people in the next level, so that I can try to practice some of the level 5 skills, along with that darned loop jump.

Mel1977
02-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Debbie- That's terrible about your gym! I think I'd be scared to ever go back there! I wonder how it got in the water in the first place? Eeek...

Glitter- Not much...started making changes to my freeskate program for AN's, that went okay, but my lesson is too early in the morning for me to be fully functional, especially if I don't eat breakfast, so hopefully it will go better tonight. It was good to get started on it though.
Started working on adult silver moves in the field. The eight step mohawk and slide chasses are kind of fun...I hate the stupid three turns in the field though.

Goo- I have been trying to land an axel for about two years now, and am still not even close. Well, I shouldn't say not even close, but thats how it feels. I start the jump nice and tight in the air, but half way through I pop open because I'm afraid to fall. I'm just gonna have to get over it...I refuse to take my silver adult freeskate until I'm landing it though.

mikawendy
02-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Another question for everyone - does anyone else like field moves? (moves in the field in the US, I think).

Yes!! Well, I haven't officially started working on them, but I've done a few in an edge class I took and they were really fun. It's a good thing I like them since in the US, you HAVE to do moves to be able to pass the freestyle levels.

And BTW, congrats on landing the flip!!! :D
And congrats to DebbieS who got accepted to business school!!! :D
And yay to Annabel because her rink gets an extra dance session. :D I don't do dance, but I see so few dance sessions at the rinks I do go to. I feel sorry for the lone dancer in a freestyle session with people whizzing by doing jumps at full speed.

And for yesterday's outdoor skate:

Glitter:
FI closed mohawks are improving. Still not to the quality my instructor likes (but she does dance, too, so she demands really precise foot placement in mohawks).

Spins were really good! This surprised me because the outdoor rink is usually too windy to get good spin practice going. One-foot spins were good, and two tries at the scratch spin worked well. I think it was just a fluke--I really haven't learned to control my balance in them yet.

Was fooling around and did a weensy spread eagle. It was quite a concave one (very curved) but still, it felt neat!

Goo:
Tried to do the step sequence in USFSA Basic 8 (2 forward crossovers, FI mohawk, cross behind into back crossover, step onto FI edge) and realized that I cannot yet do mohawks at the same speed I can do crossovers. I did the two crossovers, then my body said, NOPE!

BI-FO choctaw into forward spin is just NOT happening yet. The wind-up is fine, but when I step onto the FO edge, I come to a griding halt.

LBO landing edge (I'm CW) didn't seem so good. The tracing had snow to one side of it, so I think my pick might be digging in or I might not be truly only on the outside edge. I tried putting my weight farther back, but it still made the same kind of double tracing, a line with lots of snow on one side.

MissIndigo
02-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Goo:

Well, I took a shot at the bronze moves test today, and...was within 0.1 of passing. Oh well, you get up, you try again. I have looked at it as a mighty expensive critique. :D It was worth a try, even if I wasn't on top of my game. Since committing to the test last month, I have been sick, and have developed an irritated right hip. Something will have to be done about the latter I believe, as in a trip to the doctor. The irritation is not going away.

I will say that we had a tough group of judges, and they were mighty picky about my test. Not to mention, as some of you very well know, some of the remarks were contradictory on the individual moves. Well, I know what needs work, and now I'm off to fix it. I have a nagging thought in the back of my head, however...the first three tests today were pre-juv moves (2/3 passed), and most of the bronze moves are out of that test. Those that passed were very quality tests. I skated in the second group, and I can't help wondering if there was some influence or some impression of those standard track tests that carried over into my scoring. If I had been first, who knows. Anyway, we'll try again. I needed something to motivate me a bit more, and this did it.

Glitter:

Bound to be something later in the week to talk about...

jazzpants
02-09-2003, 10:25 PM
First thing, congrats to Rachel on her flip!!! WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

As for USFSA Bronze Move to MissIndigo, I've discovered that those "prelim moves" elements on the Bronze Move test are actually MORE DIFFICULT than the pre-juv moves elements for some reason. :roll: In any case, it's money well spent, b/c you know what you need to work on to pass... and you know now that you're very close to being ready for Bronze Moves. (0.1 below passing overall is VERY CLOSE to passing to me...) :)

Glitter:
Is it just me, or is anyone went through hell learning the power 3's? I'm much better at it. (i.e. as of today's practice I could do them on both sides about 75% consistent, though slow...) But not that long ago, I couldn't even do LFO3's or that BI-FO step from the crossovers!!! (Which is why I consider it a MAJOR "glitter" for me.) :D

Rest of Bronze moves is showing promise. I hope to be ready by May of this year (my coach's goal for me) and take the test in June (since they're no May test session at our rink.)

Goo:
Anything freestyle... even scratch and sit spins are bad. I don't wanna talk about the loop... AUGH!!! :frus:

melanieuk
02-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Well done Rachel on your flip. I know the feeling of not being able to wipe the smile off your face....I was like that with the lutz for weeks! ;)
I grumble about field moves but I don't really mind them. They are a challenge.

In my lesson we worked on my programme but didn't get very far, or at least I didn't. :roll:

Change foot spins (fell on one and was ouch) were same as last week, so no improvement there.

My camels are back.. :)

Elsy2
02-10-2003, 08:12 AM
I haven't had a lesson in about two months....sigh...I've been treated for "piriformis syndrome", which is a muscle that runs from your hip into your rear end and lies over the sciatic nerve. The tightness and pressure has caused my leg to go numb all the way into my foot. It's much better now, and the good news is that this is sometimes called "tight butt syndrome".....it's nice to hear I have a tight butt at my age! :roll:

My dance partner has also been injured with a muscle tear in his neck from digging in the yard. We finally danced together last weekend....but all our work on the Fiesta Tango has been lost. Here we are finishing the end pattern before we even reach the long axis of the rink! We do have a tendancy to rush those steps....

Glitter: At least I'm back to skating on a more regular basis....and the massage therapy I'm getting is heavenly!

tidesong
02-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Today started a little awful because I was late and then the ice was terrible. Everything was a ltitle off and I kept on losing speed because the ice was so rough that I got too tired to do anything. After the ice resurface I did my program twice. My combination spin is a lot better today but my layback is off... so strange :)

yuffie
02-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Glitter!
Well I asked my friend to see my double flip and the very first one I did I landed it! It was so cool.

Goo
When I wanted to show my coach I landed...on my butt. She said, "You're not suppose to land sitting down! You don't love me."

quarkiki2
02-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Saturday's class was a goo lesson. Except for lunges which, like always, are a really sparkly glitter.

I'm so frustrated woth FO3s. I've been working on them for five months now and haven't been able to do one ever. I've tried in an open position, a closed position, with a swing through on the free leg, eleven different arm positions and I just can't get them to save my life. And I was mostly irritated because there are three women in my class who have never tried them before Saturday and they could all do them on the first try. FOUR instructors have tried to help me and I just can't get them.

This is what I know: I'm on a solid FO edge going in. Just before the turn, I rock back onto the flat -- I can see a double line on my tracing for about a blade length. I turn and drop my free leg back to the ice. I have enough speed going into the turn that, though I drop my freeleg right away, there's about 3 blade lengths where I'm on the BI edge. There's no double line there.

Everyone who helps me says I'm soooo close! Grrr! I started on the wall and had great success there -- good form, etc. But then I took them away from the wall and they've fallen apart. When I try them back on the wall I find I'm moving too fast to try them there safely. Tried with my instructor on the wall and ended up getting my toepick stuck about a foot off the ice in the plastic advertisement cover. Who knows how that happened!

OK. So everything wan't goo. I worked on my forward edges and found that the FI edges are very even, steady and that my t-push is becoming more natural and I'm not thinking about it any more. FO lobes are even, but I'd like them a little larger and faster.

Fortunately this week isn't as busy as the last few have been -- I should be able to get some practice in, maybe even during the day when there's fewer people on the ice. Since I'd been rehearsing the show I haven't been able to get on the ice any other time than my lesson and I think it's been weeks since I've done crossovers! Shame on me!

dbny
02-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Rachel, Congratulations on your first of many flips!

I love Moves, it's almost all I do.

Elsy2, sorry about the piriformis syndrome, and about the "tight butt": :lol:

MissIndigo, I think you are probably right about the judges being influenced by the earlier tests. Congrats on giving it a try and coming so close. I'm actually a lot closer to being able to pass the Bronze moves than I am the Pre-Bronze moves because of those *&#! alt FI threes!

Originally posted by mikawendy
BI-FO choctaw into forward spin is just NOT happening yet. The wind-up is fine, but when I step onto the FO edge, I come to a griding halt.

My coach preceded the actual step into a spin from the windup with this exercise that really helped me: From a standstill, go into a very deep FO edge on the spin foot. Have your knee deeply bent and you can start with your shoulders counter to your direction to get a bit of the wind up feel. Make a half circle, three turn, and spin. Keep your freeleg extended and don't spin after the three turn until your freeleg comes around to almost in front of you. This is really just the step in without the B crossover thereby eliminating the Choctaw. I do it on a hockey line to get the timing.

Goo
My coach just called to cancel today's lesson, as her toddler has a fever and she has to get to the doctor, whose only available time is my lesson time :x (that's for the doctor, not the coach or tot). There are so many bugs going around in NYC right now. I know whole families who are sick, so I'm not counting on getting a make-up lesson on Wed.

Hope I'll have some glitter to report after today's practice.

Figureskates
02-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Glitter: Ran through all the elements for the pre-pre moves and it is pretty solid....

Goo: My spiral..I look so much like a wounded Albatrous....it's no Nicole Bobek spiral that's for sure!!

jazzpants
02-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy

How's your forward power 3's (from the prelim or Bronze Moves)? I'll bet on it that if you have those consistent on your RFO3 side that it should be a bit easier to do the spin entry w/o coming down to a grinding halt. (Guess how I know this...) ;)

batikat
02-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
I've tried in an open position, a closed position, with a swing through on the free leg, eleven different arm positions and I just can't get them to save my life. And I was mostly irritated because there are three women in my class who have never tried them before Saturday and they could all do them on the first try. FOUR instructors have tried to help me and I just can't get them.

I'm no instructor but from your description maybe you are trying 'too' hard - if you keep changing things perhaps you haven't allowed yourself time to get the feel of the turn. You are obviously making the turn so is it just holding the edge afterwards that is the problem?
What helped me was keeping the freeleg close to the skating leg through the turn as this prevents the freeleg pulling you off balance. I also practised holding the back inside edge in isolation (without the turn preceding it). You can do this from back crossovers and then hold on the inside edge in a check position (like the entry steps to a spin before the BI to FO choctaw). This gives you confidence that you CAN hold that BI edge.
The other problem I have had is over-analysing things and then they never work. You have to 'feel' it and this usually happens for me when I am trying to explain to someone why I can't do something, whilst showing them at the same time. Because I am then more relaxed because I am not worried about succeeding or not, I invariably find I have just successfully done what I am telling them I can't do!!! :roll: Crazy but it works for me!!! Of course because I am talking to someone, I am also keeping my head up and not looking at the ice which also helps.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything your instructors haven't said but keep the weight forward (but not on the toepicks!) through the turn; bend the knee on the FO edge, rise up for the turn and sink back down after the turn to make your BI edge solid. Try it to music as having a rhythm to do it to can help (waltz rhythms are good for 3 turns). I lead with the same arm as the skating leg and this turns with your body (i.e the arm and body stay in the same position relative to each other through the turn) to end in the check position.

You can also try 'NOT-doing' a 3 turn - For LFO3 - with Left arm leading, push onto a strong forward outside edge with deep knee bend and just hold it for as long as possible as it makes a tighter and tighter circle - eventually you will find that you HAVE to turn as the deep edge more or less makes the turn for you and Voila! you have done a 3 turn without even trying!!!

I'm sure you'll get this soon and then you will wonder how you ever couldn't do it. Good luck!

I did an on-ice power and conditioning group class today and was shattered at the end of it. The coach wanted us to do 'lazy loops' which is basically a small BI circle so the tracing leaves a nice loop shape on the ice. We'd done these previously from FO3's but at the time I could not for the life of me understand what was required until he explained it as a 'salchow without jumping'. Suddenly it clicked and I could do them.
Today he wanted them done directly from BI edges - much more difficult - but easier once he put on some rhythmic music to do them to. Most of my tracings still looked like 'peanuts' rather than 'loops' though from having the weight too much over the toepicks.

Elsy2
02-10-2003, 05:49 PM
I think the cure for the grinding halt....which I am always doing out of shear fear of spinning.....is more knee bend, way more. But you have to be prepared to enter the spin faster.

And speaking of spins, what dbny has suggested is right on. I couldn't center spins the other day, and the whole problem was not keeping the freeleg back long enough on the entry. Holding it back longer and waiting for the proper moment to bring it forward fixed the spin right away.

skaternum
02-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Yay, jazzpants for achieving consistency in the power 3s!! Those things are really nasty to learn. They're the sort of move you can spend a lifetime perfecting. I passed Preliminary moves a long time ago, but I still have to work on those suckers!

DancinDiva
02-10-2003, 07:57 PM
GLITTER: Whoa, I had a really great lesson. The skating club realized that there were too many adults (I think there are eleven of us now) at too many different levels to all share one coach in a half hour lesson, so they gave us a second instructor! And one of the more advanced students that skates competitively is assisting also. So I got a lot more attention tonight than I have all month. I found out that there were some basic beginner skills that my original instructor never taught me. Like foward pumps or foward half-swizzles. I was taught foward crossovers without learning those first! So the new instructor showed me those. Then we did rocking horses, and back swizzles, then went to the back half-swizzles that the other instructor gave me last week. And she FINALLY taught me how to stop! I was getting nervous, that after four lessons no one had shown me how to stop. Is it me, or have I been learning things a bit out of order? But it was fun, because I was trying different things, not just spending whole lessons on foward crossovers for once.

MissIndigo
02-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dbny

MissIndigo, I think you are probably right about the judges being influenced by the earlier tests. Congrats on giving it a try and coming so close.

Thanks--I definitely feel the test was worth a shot and even though I will have to retry it, still feel accomplished for at least getting out there. I reminded myself the judges are only human too, and they were very supportive of my effort and still complimented me.

Interestingly enough, another club that is within a couple hours drive of my home club tests their adults and kids separately, with the tests spread over two days, and with adults first. Another coach informed me of this, and it is definitely an option worth considering. She said that the adults felt more comfortable testing in that situation, without having the influence of other performances. Has anyone heard of any other clubs doing this?

Anyway, for something glittery and happy--I skated for pure fun today, and my toe loops are better than ever, and I'm holding the layback position for at least 3-4 revs now. Also had a fast, 20-rev scratch spin to start the day, so I cannot complain anymore!!! I just gotta go skate!!!

jazzpants
02-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Yay, jazzpants for achieving consistency in the power 3s!! Those things are really nasty to learn. They're the sort of move you can spend a lifetime perfecting. I passed Preliminary moves a long time ago, but I still have to work on those suckers!

But NOW I just have to get them to the point where there's power... which means I have to continue practicing it on both side until I'm blue in the face!!! :P I figured as long as I get the edges and the 3's right that the speed will eventually come with it. :D

Elys2... YAY!!!! You just discovered the other thing that I forgot to write about. (The knee bend.) Be very careful to keep your back straight going into it. If you lean too far forward, you will end up catching the evil toe pick and take a very nasty fall on the hip. (Guess how I know this???) :roll: Also, do not go too fast into it. Go for a nice controlled speed!!!)

One of my coaches (don't remember which one... maybe all of them??? :lol:) had me doing a spin on a standstill. You stand at a T with your right foot behind and your left foot point straight ahead (but the foot is ever so slightly turn out so that you're on a LFO edge.) Now push on the curve and do a half circle turn, staying on the LFO edge. When you have just gone passed the half circle, THEN start doing the 3 and rise up towards the toe pick and (supposedly) instant forward spin!!! (This is of course, NOT an easy exercise too!!!)

Good luck with the spin... Elys2, you sound like you're well on your way of getting it! :D

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2003, 08:18 AM
Elsy2, you and me both on the Fiesta Tango, aka Fiasco Tangle! I have learnt that the only way I can possibly handle this dance is if we hold back a bit - if we go at things at Robert's usual bull-at-a-gate style, I'm never going to do it. But he has been working on it in his private lessons, and it shows - last night we did the best end pattern we've ever done, and apart from the fact that on the first pattern Robert rushed the change-of-edge slightly, and on the second pattern we had to grind to a halt because another rather slow couple were too close for my liking, we really didn't dance it badly. I hate and loathe that dance, it scares me rigid, but it has to be done! But the secret is to hold back and hold back and not rush.

Actually, all of last night's dance club was fun, although I found myself a bit breathless. We are getting so much better at noticing our errors - a couple of places where we rushed inside swing rolls in the Rhythm Blues, and Robert will dance the Golden Skaters' Waltz as though he were playing football, all kick and jerk, it's simply horrible to skate with him. AND he had a beginner skater over in the dance, so I told him precisely what I thought of him, especially as he was making a fuss over a grazed knuckle.... men! Husbands!!

But we did a couple of relatively decent Swing Dances - I couldn't hold the Mohawk at least once, but did hold it at least twice, and once his Mohawk wasn't quite curved enough, but it does improve, slowly. Although quite why our coach still says it's worse than our Fiesta is beyond me...

Quarkiki - your 3-turns sound like the way mine used to be. Take heart, they will come, and in the meantime call them "Drop 3s" (which dancers need), and practise pushing off on to the back outside edge of the foot which you have, willy-nilly, put down! My back 3s are in a very similar state, but I know that is because I am too chicken to get my weight far enough back as I turn. I still consider I can do the 3s, though probably nobody else would agree with me....

Gooey: This was the last Monday of the "old regime", and from next Monday, that evening is devoted to hockey. I felt very sorry for all the teachers, frantically trying to reschedule their Monday lessons to other days of the week.... And of course, trying to prevent our crowd from grumbling too much at the change of evening (and increase in price, which we ought to have done at the start of the year, but didn't). We're in for a rather hairy couple of weeks until things settle down....

JDC1
02-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Not bad. Foot still hurts ofcourse but ice and advil really help.

Glittery - we learned the rest of our "program" for our adult group skate that we are doing in the spring show. It was fun and challenging to actually do things to music and remember what comes next! I'm great with improvising to music but having to remember the moves is harder.

Goo - Foot still hurts and I stupidly jammed my toe too hard for a toe loop.

DANCIN DIVA - I'm the worst stopper!! I have been taught how but I'm just too lazy to practice. I learned things in round about ways too. Congratulations on getting more attention and feeling like you're learning something.

flo
02-11-2003, 10:32 AM
glitter: had a good skate at club, and then the next day in my lesson. The flying camels are better, and the doubles are improving. I'm the responsible adult at club this weekend, so I think we'll have a Valentine's party!
Goo: had to cancel my pt appointment because of emergency at work. But I did get a balance ball and will give it a try.

dbny
02-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
I found out that there were some basic beginner skills that my original instructor never taught me. Like foward pumps or foward half-swizzles. I was taught foward crossovers without learning those first! So the new instructor showed me those. Then we did rocking horses, and back swizzles, then went to the back half-swizzles that the other instructor gave me last week. And she FINALLY taught me how to stop! I was getting nervous, that after four lessons no one had shown me how to stop. Is it me, or have I been learning things a bit out of order?

Wow, about time they fixed that situation :!: I'm so glad you had such a great lesson :D

I'ts not you, you have definitely been learning things out of order. It should go like this: forward swizzles, snowplow stop, rocking horse, back swizzles, F half swizzles then F crossovers, B half swizzles, then B crossovers. Now you can see how great you really have been doing to have gotten F crossovers without all the usual preliminaries. BTW, I sent you a PM.

Glitter
Not much :cry: Back cross strokes this morning were amazingly easy, and I did get a few pretty good one foot spins, but only from a pivot. It was sunny this morning and I could see my shadow as I practiced certain moves. There were only four of us on the ice, all adult women, and I knew one and am getting to know the others by showing up in the mornings. Love it :D

Goo
I have caught Elsy2's bug and haven't been able to step into a spin since I got my new blades. I can feel that my weight isn't in the right place. I think maybe it's the deeper radius I'm on with the fresh sharpening, and I'm a bit afraid to commit to that deep FO edge. My F cross strokes are also suffering. They were pretty good, and all of a sudden, I'm having trouble with speed. I've been making an effort to cross my axis at 90' and it's harder to push from that angle. I find it ironic that my B cross strokes are actually better and easier than my F. Guess this is just going to take lots of repetition, like everything else :roll:

TashaKat
02-11-2003, 12:44 PM
:mrgreen: Why? lol

No, can't STAND Field Moves ...... and I can't really tell you why! I suppose it's a bit like 'eating your greens' as a kid .... you KNOW that they're good for you BUT!!!

I think that PART of my reluctance with Field Moves is that they used to be marked so harshly in the UK! I think that they've eased up a bit now but I remember seeing perfectly adequate skaters go out and fail field moves! Not a good introduction to them!

L x

DancinDiva
02-11-2003, 05:10 PM
dbny: I answered your PM! :)

tazsk8s
02-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
No, can't STAND Field Moves ...... and I can't really tell you why! I suppose it's a bit like 'eating your greens' as a kid .... you KNOW that they're good for you BUT!!!
L x

Ditto, ditto, and ditto again. No real reason. I just don't enjoy working on them.

Glitter this week - spins. Very unusual. I have a video of a camel spin that looked stable and actually spun. It could use more extension, but that's true of everything I do in skating.

Taz Jr., competing this coming weekend. First time out at Pre-Juv. Historically her first time out at a new level has not gone well. She gets intimidated by the kids who have been at that level longer and have harder and better stuff, and usually melts down by this time in competition week. So far, so good, though. Two clean programs today.

Goo - lutz has taken a bit of a vacation.

More goo - clueless little ones at the rink. There is a teeny-tiny set of twins at our rink, very low level. They have NO concept whatsoever of staying out of the way of the person whose music is on. Had to completely bail out of my program in order to avoid taking one of them out. This wasn't the first time, either. Their coach doesn't seem to interested in teaching them the rules of the road, either. Very frustrating.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Today we are having a "day off", as we are off to France for the afternoon in about an hour. So didn't hurry down to the rink - couldn't hurry, as some [expletive deleted] had parked in front of the exit to our garage! And then another one was blocking the road making a delivery..... Still, we got there in the end.

Robert had a lesson on figures with our male coach, and then it was my turn. Did my Dance Moves change-of-edge - the outside-inside are fine now, but the inside-outside are still not quite right. Then worked on figures for a bit - got a wonderful running edge on one foot, but not on the other - on my Mohawks, on waltz 3s, on back edges and finally back swing rolls. Kept getting terribly frustrated with the back edges, as it's largely technique now - I was on one beautiful edge, and suddenly lurched forwards.... Gack. One of these days.... and, of course, the faster I was going, the better.

After the lesson, Robert and I worked a bit on our back swing rolls together, first him going backwards, then me, then him again. I made myself push at him when he was going backwards and was amused to note that he still couldn't maintain the hold...... "You're supposed to be holding me!"
"I am!"
"I can't feel your hand anywhere!"

melanieuk
02-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Lesson
Almost finished the programme - it'll take months and needs to be scrubbed and polished.
Backspins have made a slight improvement, but nothing like how I want them.

Got my car fixed (at garage at back of rink)...handy!

dbny
02-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Annabel - Lucky you! France for an afternoon, have fun!

Glitter
Had a lesson today on a pretty empty public session and my step into the spin is back, even with the windup! Daughter did tell me last night that it really could have been the new sharpening.

Worked on FI threes in lesson, and coach suggested watching myself in the glass while doing them at the boards (which is the only place I can do them :cry: ) That worked so well, that I finally have some confidence that these will happen in this lifetime.

Coach has me doing F and B fig eight crossover pattern with more and faster strokes. Faster is more fun, but also a bit scary. Slipped on a F, caught my toepick, and kept going, while coach called out that I still would have passed :D I really have to work up to speed on the B as I'm not comfy with it at all.

I wanted to show off my B cross strokes and had a terrible time getting them started and was bent at the waist till coach shouted to "look up." Then I realized that they were so good when hubby was watching out for me because I was "looking up" at him. It fixed my posture right away.

jazzpants
02-12-2003, 09:48 PM
This is for Tuesday afternoon...

Goo:
Why, oh why can't I get my loop consistent IN FRONT of my coach? (Hmmm? Maybe this is a "Glitter???") :P

Moves are sucky today... not that much energy in me to skate. There is one exception to that and that's in "Glitter"...

Lower back is complaining afterwards... Uh huh... :(

Glitter:
Loops made an appearance today!!! WOO HOO!!!! :D
Backspins also made a small appearance at the end of the session too. (Unfortunately NOT in front of my coach!!!) :roll:

Flips also made an appearance... ONCE!!! :p

Alt FO3's are fairly consistent...I could do power 3's with about 80% consistently (though not with a lot of power...) :P

dobiesk8r
02-13-2003, 04:58 AM
db, it could definitely have been the sharpening!
(And I saw your coach at my rink the other day.
Had a very nice chat with her - she looks great!)

I just had my blades sharpened over the weekend and
then had my lesson on Monday. When will I learn?:x

Everything felt weird, from the threes in the field, to
the spins. Jumps up to flip, ok. I nearly killed myself
on a back inside three, and that's when I got very
frustrated. Then a skating friend mentioned how my
spins used to be better - I seemed tentative. Total
goo, but that comment did it - I just started doing
everything with more force, and managed some really
good, centered spins. I need more negative comments!

Went back again yesterday - absolutely glitter. It was
all there. I just needed to get used to the sharpening
because these are new blades are very different from
my old ones. Any little change seems to throw me off.
But even back double threes were working yesterday.

We'll see what today brings.:?:

tidesong
02-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Ok. I coudn't jump today. I landed jumps but they were all barely inches off the ice. And my competition is on saturday. Arrghh... I can't believe I still have to go to school on friday.

JDC1
02-13-2003, 08:41 AM
I am still keeping my skating to a minimum because of my foot and ankle so no skating on Wednesday. I'm bummed but I'm trying to be a good girl until I see the doctor on Friday and get some professional input, he's a sports injury doctor so I'm hopeful!! My foot and ankle do feel better the less I do.

Anyway, was feeling left out so I had to post. :-)

jenlyon60
02-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Lots of Alternating Forward Crossovers (aka Bronze MIF aka PreJuv MIF) today. Coach was working on my pattern placement and other stuff. But it was work well needed. They still have a long way to go to be testable, but the end will be worth the work.

The last minute of my lesson we did a bit of Austrian Waltz for fun.

tidesong
02-14-2003, 07:49 AM
My axel came back today! Its not my best but it will do for the competition... Hope I land it clean tommorrow! So excited!

melanieuk
02-14-2003, 08:43 AM
((Tidesong)) Lucky you! Hang on to it! Mine hasn't come back, because I haven't attempted it! :roll:

No lesson, but practised Interbronze field moves.
Has anyone seen the proposals for NISA Level 3 field moves test?
I don't know why I'm bothering trying to perfect Interbronze (which is equivalent to level 4) because it'll take me forever to do spirals on continous changes of edge - like Interbronze changes of edge, only in spirals. :??
I don't know what else is proposed, as I stopped looking after seeing the spiral one! 8O

My spins were a lot better today.
I could get right down to bum/buttock/buns/butt level on the sit and get back up again.
My camel was moving faster.

Shame about the lutz which is acting all scary again.
Practised bits of my programme (it's not quite finished yet).

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Enjoyable Friday morning skate. Didn't do much of what I'm supposed to do, but Robert and I did do some exercises together - and we were encouraged to find how much better our swing rolls in Kilian hold felt. We also worked on swing rolls and chasses in waltz hold (so what day don't we?), and on the end pattern of the Swing Dance, which we both still have awful problems with. When you think we've been competing that dance for two years already, and it's still ghastly..... Solo worked a bit on my back edges and waltz 3s, and just mucked about. Forgot to do my changes-of-edge, oh well.... Still can't do decent back cross-cuts or back cross-rolls for the Level 3 Dance Moves, but at least I move over the ice while doing them badly, even if I do run out of steam!

Last night I sent in my entry for my first competition of the year, in April, which is an artistic/interpretive programme. I'll come last, but who cares?

Melanie, no I haven't seen the Level 3 test yet - I'm not allowed to take Level 1 because of lack of spiral on left leg. Maybe one day.....

sk8er1964
02-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Leg still hurts so no jumping :x . I want to work on my axel and doubles so bad I can taste it. Sigh.

Worked on crossovers. Yes, crossovers. Forward and backwards in both directions. Made the mistake of complaining to coach about how I really need to bend my knees more (got this from watching the video) - so now I have crossover drills. Coach tests, so I won't be able to get away with not practicing them.

Started polishing up the program. Made some minor changes to things he didn't like and things I didn't like. This program is going to be so terrific - some day :D .

GEM21
02-14-2003, 12:05 PM
First off, had my first real lesson in a while... nice to skate on a real rink. (been practice outside on our little local rinks which are fun, but aren't exactly smooth!) ;)

Practiced swing rolls down the rink for a bit. Then learned the begining of the dutch waltz (up until the second progressives). No music though yet, but that's okay! Pratice that mainly... was a bit hard 'cos I skate at the same time as CanSkate and I think it was test day 'cos there was about 6 different groups and they were all over the ice. So mainly practiced it in parts or in whole in odd directions. LOL.

Ankle is hurting a lot though, and by then end it was throbbing so I had to stop and just do stroking...still sore now... on the outside of the ankle... Yuck yuck... and now my knee is starting to act up... I think its the (really) cold weather... I'll see...

Laura

twinkle
02-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Mel, where did you find the proposals for new field moves tests?
And when do they come into force?

I've just passed my inter-bronze, hopefully I can also get my bronze before the new ones start as they're not too bad now.

melanieuk
02-14-2003, 01:51 PM
My coach had the NISA booklet with all the proposals in it.
She's to go down to Nottingham (or is it London) to discuss them with the team who developed them (the only coach invited to attend from Scotland).

She had one of her better pupils running through them all to see what they were like. They go right up to at least level 8 (at least that's all I looked at). They looked really difficult...the level 6 pupil struggled with some of them, but he was doing the level 8 ones, so I suppose he did quite well.

My coach told me I'd hate my level (level 3). :(
I have to pass Interbronze before the new ones are brought in, otherwise I'm going to be stuck on level 3 field moves forever.

I'm sorry I have no idea when they'll come into force but I will ask my coach and get back to you.

JDC1
02-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Just thought I'd share, as some of you know from my "Foot cramps" thread I've been having some foot and ankle pain. Anyhoo went to the doctor to get it looked at , I brought my skates (as I think they're the problem) and right after I asked if he knew anything about skaters or skating he said that he was the official Orthopedist for the World Championships in DC. :-) He welcomed my input as he hasn't worked with many skaters and he and his intern inspected my boots. :-) Anyway, thought it was a funny coincidence. My diagnosis was the predictable but unwelcome "over use tendonitis" and he believes caused by ill fitting boots and ofcourse repetition.

melanieuk
02-14-2003, 02:16 PM
JDC1, are you going to rest your feet?

I found that 2 weeks off the ice didnt help at all. ;)
I permanently wear a Bunga pad under my sesamoid bone, which helps immensely.

JDC1
02-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I am resting them some but I'm really a nervy, active type person so it's hard for me to elevate my foot and be still. I told him point blank I won't stop skating but that I'll be sensible and not over due it. I am going to see if one of those bunga sock looking things help and whatever else I can try. If I am still not better by the end of this session of lessons then I will take 2 weeks off and see if that helps, if not it's back to the doctor for an MRI and/or some x-rays.

sk8er1964
02-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
I told him point blank I won't stop skating but that I'll be sensible and not over due it.

Isn't it amazing what we'll skate through? The physical therapist I went to works with skaters - he didn't even bother to ask me to stay off the ice! I shudder at the thought of a couple of weeks off, unless I'm hiking in the mountains on vacation or something like that.

Alexeiskate
02-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Glitter
I still got my axel, 2sal and 2toe. Sat down of three 2loop attempts but at least they went up straight and rotated. Got into a few decent camel spins and sit spins.

Goo
My legs felt horrible and I was constantly out of breath because I don't skate and exercise regularly anymore.

tidesong
02-15-2003, 01:16 AM
I just came home from competition(singapore's nationals at prejuvenile level) ... hee I got second out of two ppl again and I was up against the same person last year too... oh well :) I fell on my axel and two footed the double salchow and killed the camel in my combination spin, other wise it was ok and in any case it was better than last year :)
Waiting for my parents to come home with the video so I can see for myself how I did...

To: melanieuk
I didn't land my axel after all, sigh... I did land a few in warmup though, some how my axel just got inconsistent in time for nationals... I've landed it in the other two competitions I had.

melanieuk
02-15-2003, 03:02 AM
Well done Tidesong...you took part and you tried. You did good!
Nevermind about the axel - it's a poohy jump anyway.
;)

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2003, 11:06 AM
Tidesong, I hope you had fun even if you did finish 2nd out of 2! I know that feeling - did that at our Adult Championships last year..... At least you can say you were runner-up for your level at your National Championships!

Melanie, if you get stuck on Level 3 Field Moves forever, take heart that I'm quite sure Robert and I will both be stuck on Level 3 Dance Moves.....

melanieuk
02-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by twinkle
Mel, where did you find the proposals for new field moves tests?
And when do they come into force?

I've just passed my inter-bronze, hopefully I can also get my bronze before the new ones start as they're not too bad now.

Coach is away to Notts on Tuesday.
The new field moves tests will be introduced in 2004 .
So get practising........!!!! 8O ;)
I've got 10 months to pass Interbronze! :roll:

singerskates
02-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I haven't posted in a while.

Goo,

My health. I've gotten another infection partly do the doors that never close at work ( I work just beyond the doors without jacket or sweater and the weather has been extremely cold this winter.) and my teeth have some bad cavities and a cap that needs to have the root under it removed. I've infected ears, sinuse, throat, chest, kidneys and swollen glands. I'm on, get this, Lavaqin(sp) for an antibiotic. Sounds like that Lava soap they have for extremely dirty hands. LOL

I had to leave the ice early on Thursday because I just couldn't take the cold. It hurt everytime I took a deep breath the last lap and a half of my dance. I couldn't muster anything more than a waltz jump and half rotational jumps. I didn't even bother to spin. I usually am the last one to leave the ice after two sessions in a row (intermediate and then senior) but not Thursday. My coach knew I wasn't feeling well when I was already off of the intermediate ice and she was in the change room helping her duaghter get ready for some on ice pictures. The rest of my gang of skaters were still on the ice working on their show number.

Glitter

Can do a waltz jump and half flip/watlz combo no matter how bad I feel.
Still can do my footwork even though I'm barely able to stand because of dizziness (ears).

I stayed home today no matter how much my body wanted to skate. I didn't leven leave the house to go skate dress shopping like I planned on doing. I think it's better for me to work on getting well in time for my March 1st competition. All the skating now as sick as I am would only make me worse and then I'd have no hope in skating well in competition.

Brigitte